Search found 64 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.
by tigerpie
Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If a club is continually struggling, year after year, then by all means investigate a way of helping that club become competitive in some form. Its unfortunate that this happens to some clubs, but its reality. Reality is, Noarlunga were about 5 minutes of footy away from playing in a Prelim last year. They were beaten by a team that used next to zero points. The league is ASSUMING that Noarlunga will fall down the ladder. Until we've seen the REALITY, then assumptions are crap. Other clubs lose players, Reynella lost plenty, won a flag 2 years later. Brighton lost plenty, still very competitive last year. Emus continually lose players every year, but get up off the canvas. It only takes a bottom club to lose 1 quality player to make a huge difference, but im sure that goes unnoticed. This is probably the weakest decision I have ever heard of by an organisation. They should do their time at the bottom like other clubs that battle year after year. But that's only if they fall down the ladder. Noarlunga might not, and probably wont use the extra points, but this decision reeks of putting the interests of some clubs before that of others. End of rant.
by Leo
Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.

Really could the SFL board look any sillier than they are already?

This happens most years to one team or another......Brighton last year, Reynella in 2012, even Marion in 2011. There were no hand outs of extra points so they can get some high priced recruits. Shoes last year won 10 games in the A-grade, 12 in the B-grade (3rd after minor round), 7 in the under 18's.

I'm sure clubs like Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Christies Beach and Marion who finished behind Noarlunga and didn't have there B-Grade play finals would like a few extra points to try and sign some extra players?
by Keyser Soze
Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How are clubs going with Under 18's numbers. Record nominations this year with 13 teams (only Lonsdale don't have a team and Noarlunga and Aldinga are playing as a merged Under 18 team) but I understand that many clubs are still struggling with numbers. Christies Beach have good numbers and shaping as a strong squad which is good for the comp provided their coach stops trying to poach players from other clubs when he already has plenty to work with. And I assume HV and FH are pretty good with numbers but I've heard a real challenge for the remaining clubs.

At Brighton we have a total squad of 25 or 26 at the moment but have 10 training at the Bays and 3 at South and it appears that 6 or 7 of these will get a regular game at those clubs so we will have a real battle getting 18 (let alone 22) on the park come Round 1 and even tougher when we lose a few to college football which will also drain off some more to the SANFL clubs who have to cover for college losses. Obviously we are trying to pick up some more players but its going to be tough. A change to Under 17 Senior Colts can't come soon enough in my book.
by Down the Hill
Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DTH I know that everyone DTH in Latte land thinks that Hackham Grammar is at 1 peter brown drive north field, however you might be in for a surprise in the coming years..

Maybe instead of shafting club footy the effort should go into tackling the colleges through the SANFL .. EG College play during school time, real football played at clubs on weekends..

From what you are saying even in an under 17 comp we wont see the best come back until the SANFL u 16 comp is finished in May
by vics01
Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The only games that get played midweek that I am aware of are the State Knockout Comp games for Year 8/9 and Open Age. Most the colleges enter the Knockout Comp including those that don't play Saturday mornings and also many public schools such as Brighton and Wirreanda and plenty from the country. But this is the only footy comp entered by many schools and if you get knocked out in Round 1, that's the only game you play. It could have been one of those games you are referring to.

Woodcroft College has Saturday morning teams from Year 7 down playing in the Panther League Primary School Comp and I believe have had a Year 8/9 team playing Saturday morning college ball in recent years but not sure if they did last year or will have one this year. I'm not sure what Cardijn have done in the past but I believe they are fielding a Year 8/9 team in the college comp in 2014. This is one of the reasons why Lonsdale is fielding a Sunday Under 16 team but not a Saturday team. I have been told that they have about 25 Under 16 players but that many go to Cardijn and will be playing school footy on most Saturday mornings.
by Down the Hill
Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree absolutely disgraceful and you'd have to be pissed when some of these clubs only won a few games for the year but have less points. I'd imagine some of these sides will come close to using there allocated points each week and shouldn't have to restrict recruiting due to points, aren't we looking for a competitive league. It's not Noarlunga's fault they would have asked for 23 from the SFL but the CFL came back with 19.

The issue I have is as a governing body like the SFL, how can they allow this to happen when other clubs don't get the same or greater concessions? If they sent the CFL a recommendation for 23 points then other clubs should have at least been offered the same concessions.

Imagine an organisation like the AFL for example having concessions for some clubs and not others and the angst that would cause, oh wait, where's Buddy?

Are you serious KS the AFL is the most rorted comp I know!
Just for the record Noarlunga did not request 23 points or any number just a review!
We played Victor in a trial on the w/end and that side was worth zero points!![/quote]

Your missing the point SB. Nobody has a beef with any of the clubs for asking for extra points/reviews/etc. The beef is that the SFL has even considered doing so for some clubs. Rules are there to maintain stability within an organisation. In EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES, I fully understand exceptions to rules if its in the best interest of the league. I think you would have to agree, that your club is far from an extreme circumstance at present. A person I spoke to recently said their club was in the early stages of investigating other options outside of the SFL. It sounds like the relationship between the League and some clubs is at an all time low.
by Leo
Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.

Where in the tisser as I cant find it?

It's on AdelaideNow. It's in their stupid top 10 news items, and the Australian and Herald Sun have picked it up as well. Obviously there's a shortage of internet cat sensations or extreme selfies to turn into news. It actually isn't as bad as I thought it was when I first read it, but still, that's some publicity we could do without.
by fisho mcspaz
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.

Well much as I hate seeing this sort of publicity for thde SFL, I actually think it's a good thing for the SFL to see what a laughing stock it has the potential to be permanently if these sort of results continue. Hard to continue to bury your head in the sand when the whole of Adelaide is laughing at your league. No amount of changing age groups will address these issues.

Also heard them on 5AA this morning taking the piss out of the result. Not a good look.

It's not the league at fault, though. It's the club. Bad decisions, bad recruitment, minimal local presence and community involvement.

Ahhhhh - no more complaints. It's easy enough to write down what's wrong and what can be done to fix things, but putting ideas into practice is going to be a long, hard slog. I know a lot of Aldinga and ex-Aldinga people read this forum, so this is for you - please get behind our club. Volunteers are always needed, particularly after the first few weeks when the eager numbers begin to drop off. Players, too - the B grade needs numbers. The A grade needs numbers, if it comes to that, but no more bloody mercenaries please. Just people who are willing to turn up to training and put in some effort on a regular basis.
by fisho mcspaz
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Result of last nights special meeting re FDC.

Vote on point 1 was 9 clubs voted for change 6 clubs voted no change 3 board members voted no change leaving President Warman to have casting vote which he also voted no.

No need to vote point 2-5 as they all fell in line with point 1 to make change to the structure of SFL.
So we go on with nothing to see here.

I do recall a certain club President make comment after vote on point 1 was handed down that it is a "democracy"!!! MY FRIEND DEMOCRACY YOU HAVE NO IDEA OR VERY SHORT MEMORY OF DECISSIONS THAT HAVE NOT TURNED OUT THE WAY YOU INTENDED THEN CRY DEMOCRACY!!!!!
by shoe boy
Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what's everyones thoughts on what will happen at the big SFL meeting tonight? Are any of the recommendations going to get up? Personally I think they have missed the mark on many issues and certainly the change of junior grade ages seems unnecessary - if it aint broke why fix it?

Almost half of clubs do not field a full set of teams in their own right (7/15)
33% of clubs do not field a team in the U/16 comp
33% of clubs do not field a team in the U/14 comp
100% of games played in the U/18 comp this week resulted in the winning team doubling their opponents score or more with the other game a forfeit
Only one game each this week in the U/14 and U/16 comps were decided by a margin less than 6 goals

It is very broken, something needs to be done. The debate is if the proposal goes far enough.

Agree that there are some huge issues but will changing U14s, U16s, U18s to U15s and U17s and pushing kids up to seniors a year earlier really help? In the words of a red headed politician "please explain"

18yo men have no place in junior football
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Can I add Lion Heart that your staff in the canteen/clubrooms are top shelf- made my little fella (4) feel right at home on Saturday.
by MatteeG
Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The facts are that the majority of clubs voted for the change to u15/17 - the league for whatever reason decided to overrule it.

I also find it interesting (and somewhat disappointing) that 3 of the 6 clubs that voted against it failed to field all three grades this season (Cove, Hackham & Morphettville Park).
by Look Good In Leather
Thu May 21, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It could be 13/14/15/16/17 or 13/14/15/17 but 15/17 on a Saturday. 15/17/B/A is attainable for every club on a consistent basis.

I understand Flaggies concern- you have a brilliant junior setup the envy of most clubs i am sure. I know you work hard and are well run but you also have a great catchment zone. We are drawing from a much smaller area - although our numbers are smaller it doesn't mean we are not working hard.

At the moment 10 clubs have A,B, U/16 & U/14. If we change Saturday football next year to A, B, U/17 & U/15 - 10 clubs have a full set and it will be a much more manageable program - we can all then work to assist the other 5 clubs if they are willing.

As it stands, only 5 of our 15 clubs are currently capable of fielding (or willing to) all 5 Saturday sides. The U/13 age group can play on Sunday, which fits better as the majority of the kids would be of Primary school age and therefore it won't clash with their school football.
by Look Good In Leather
Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

2016 will we see SFL and HFL merge into 3 divisions ?

Leadership needs to take place as doing nothing is easy to do !
"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"
by shoe boy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Marion, OSB/Lonsdale facing Southern Football League chopping block as officials address blowouts

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/southern/marion-osblonsdale-facing-southern-football-league-chopping-block-as-officials-address-blowouts/news-story/3d73d12a25cf14738761d1ce50ba2726
Haha that's a cute way to put a positive spin on it for the SFL considering both clubs are exploring options to leave the SFL.

Save your chopping block, they're seeing themselves out already. :lol:
by The Bedge
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Quality post there lion heart, dare I say it from the heart.
by am Bays
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!

What a great post. Good luck to OSBLFC which ever way things go and congrats on having the courage to look at the options and take action to save the club's future. Hopefully this inspires more 'bloody good people' to get involved and get things moving in the right direction.
by afc9798
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Ello Lion Heart! What brings you to this neck of the woods?!
by morell
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just heard Lonsdale have voted 40-5 in favour of leaving the SFL ,can someone from within confirm

I'm not involved anymore, but can confirm the outcome is correct.

Exciting times ahead for the club, a great chance to build up and find a more comfortable home with the opportunity of constant competitive football.

OSB/Lonsdale is a great family club that may not have the resources to match it with the big boys but will now hopefully create itself a positive identity amongst the wider football community.

Well done to all involved.
by norwood8
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Promotion and Relegation

For Marion and OSB/Lonsdale Div 7 is perfect fit to rebuild and get that winning feeling back. It's about their level but they will be very strong and it depends on how well they recruit. The last couple of years Marion has had the Carter brothers playing and they both went to Goody Saints this year and played Div 1 A's, both clubs have had some very good players but more importantly they are good people and I for one feel happy for them as the hard workers around their clubs deserve to get some reward for all their massive effort.
by Yank Man
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Promotion and Relegation

They will definitely have a big home ground advantage at the unique school ground. It seems a couple of decent players playing well below their standard can be the difference in the lower divs. They have plenty of former juniors and seniors at other SFL clubs who may be tempted to return with the change of comp so it will be interesting to see what sort of squad they can assemble. The appointment of a new Senior Coach will be crucial for any new or returning players they can attract.
by Down the Hill
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

With me not knowing a lot about the league which 2 teams make way to whittle these 12 clubs down to 10 next year?

Mawson Lakes
Houghton Districts
Mitchell Park
Tea Tree Gully
St Pauls OS
Adelaide Uni
Central United
Flinders Uni
North Pines
Prince Alfred OC
O'Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale
Marion
Prince Alfred withdrew during the season and probably Adel Uni or TTG as they are C grade sides. Not sure if North Pines have numbers but that comes up every year
by beef
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Cheers mate! We're going to need it.

You'd think so. I've been appalled at some of the things I have discovered since the end of the year. Ah well. You think you know people eh. Paying players is something we're not very good at yet, so lessons learnt.

Nah no names from me.

Seriously hope things go well for the club tonite, onwards and upwards. Great club great people. Thanks chief, went really well. Great numbers (would have had close to 100) new and old folks.

Adam Hay is the new President of the Mitchell Park Football Club. Known as Sarge, he has the leadership skills to really start pruning things up a bit. A background in the military and as a construction foreman plus a distinguished career as a tough but fair backman for many years - you can imagine why we picked him ;)

Other notables include Joe Leck and Trevor Bennetts who will both take on roles to assist Sarge.

A new structure was also proposed to form an executive body to guide the strategy, finance and business operations - separate from the operational general committee, this will be the think tank moving forward to really drive some important change. Pending approval and constitutional change of course.

Overall I am stoked. We'll be around and fighting out it next year. God damn I love my footy club.
by morell
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

10th team to be announced (maybe)

Not sure if it will be Uni, Gullies or no one.

Welcome to our new friends from Marion and OSB Lonsdale.

Apologies in advance to them, it's a different world over here 8)
by Footy Chick
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really hope Lonsdale do have success, but I think they will just be happy to win a few games of footy before talking flags
by Dutchy
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carn the Sullies! Get around the Lions 2018!
by The Bedge
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just to clear a few things up there was absolutely no insurance on the contents lost in the shed. Should there have been? Absolutely and I believe this was the case up until the past 2/3 years.

I can see why people would jump to conclusions when we sign a big name like Trev that we are not using the funds raised for the intended purpose but I can guarantee you that is not the case. In fact our player budget has decreased by 60-70% on last years budget. The player budget was a major motivating factor in our move to the AdFL as what we were doing was not sustainable and would have killed us this year. People would be shocked if they knew the amounts being spent for little return.

The facts are that whilst affiliated In the SFL we had to overpay guys to join the club. I am sure people can understand that players aren’t falling over themselves to sign up for 25-30 goal thrashing’s. Our 3 highest paid players from last season have already left the club after being offered big decreases in pay and I suspect some more will follow. On the flip side we have been able to re-sign many former players (most are returning juniors) mostly for nothing or discounted prices.

There is a genuine buzz around the place that has not been there in many years; we’ve even had a handful of guys come out of retirement. It is awesome to see so many new faces at the club and the best thing is they are here for the right reasons....I suspect there is more to come.

Good luck to you guys this season, well done for clearing it up but it's really no ones business but your club's.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really hope OSB/Lonsdale have a cracking year, hope to get out to one of their home games to have a look, I presume they cannot charge to get into the ground in the Ammo's?
by Dutchy
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, eight team comp - 14 Games, Then 3 more games against teams that are in the same 1/2 of the ladder that you are in after the 14 games- 17 Games for the season in Total.
Top 4 or top 5 finals series?

Geez you'd be pissed if you were sitting in 4th spot after 14 rounds by a single win, then have to play the top 3 sides while 5th place gets the bottom 3!

The 3 extra games should be the 4 Northern teams play each other and the 4 Southern teams play each other, a bit fairer on 4th spot.

I know it's along way from finals and who votes on it but according to the poll on here the top 4 may consist of 2 Northern teams and 2 Southern teams, seems fair for everyone.
Although I don't know why 28 people have picked the Lions, They've only won a few games in the last 5 years.
by Courtney Fish
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Minion Master wrote:It's not rocket science, just start the season 3 weeks later

2 weeks later, finish one week earlier, play the GF at Thebby.
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something definitely needs to be sorted out as every year Div 7 has always got problems with unsettled line ups (clubs playing in Div 7). It's never ever settled of who's playing or whos folding. It's always known a few weeks before round 1 of who's playing in Div 7.

If you have a solution I am sure everyone would be happy to listen ;)

Unfortunately being the last of the A Grade Divisions you get what is left and it becomes difficult to enforce C Grade sides to play against A Grade sides

An 8 team template you have 2 choices, play everyone twice and have a 14 round season or accept that the draw will be like the AFL one and uneven
by Executive Member
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Executive Member wrote:If you have a solution I am sure everyone would be happy to listen ;)

Force Greenacres to drop to D7, play 9 team grades in 6 & 7, incorporate a bye.

Problem solved, you're welcome.
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With the Winter Olympics now down and the amount of down hill skiers, oops I mean players heading to Central United I'm surprised there isn’t more talk of them on here lately?

What's your fascination with downhill skiing, your second post on it in a week. Is it a game you play on the couch with a mate each side of you?
by Courtney Fish
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can't really comprehend how it is such a big issue in a division such as div 7.

Each club will have their own theory, each club will try and implement what is best for them.

Some clubs will play with 25 and find there is some push back from players due to limited game time etc. They most likely will end up playing with 22 until finals when every player we will want to be part of an A Grade premiership push regardless of game time.

Some clubs will make this work and use a couple of the positions to develop some younger footballers who would love the thought of being an 'A Grade' footballer.

Either way the rule is designed to try and maximize the amount of people getting a kick on the weekend which can only be a good thing.

Personally I would want the rule to be able to allow a few of the blokes to play B Grade and then be pulled into the A Grade to make the 23rd, 24th, 25th player. I think that allows for the perfect blend of increasing blokes who can play and still giving people a reasonable amount of game time.

Surely there are blokes out there like me who would to go out and have a kick and ideally only need to play 1.5-2 quarters of footy.
by whufc
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Happy for the rule to be abolished as i think 25 is too many, but each club to there own Q. Not sure how it helps clubs that are struggling with numbers (Maybe Mitchell Park) that to match the other clubs need to field 25 players in each team. I know you don't have to, but on certain days you will need to, just to be competitive. Maybe there should have been a cap at 22 or 23 some where in the middle ground to help all clubs. Also i believe that is no law on how clubs choose to run with it, so it is up to individual clubs with what they do. Some clubs will choose the blokes to play "B" Grade then just sit on the bench as Dogwatcher said for insurance against injury.

It can work both ways, fresher legs in the last quarter maybe versus having your 25th best available player competing with the opposition's gun for a crucial contest when the game is in the balance.
To use Saturday as an example 4 of our B Graders find out on Friday, maybe even Saturday morning they are playing A's and have to mix it with your genuine best 21 A Graders. The talent depth in Div 7 only goes so deep.
by Courtney Fish
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If i was a 'young' aspiring footballer (not a grandpa footballer like most of you blokes) and i was told im just a surplus un-required footballer who might get a quarter or so on the field i would leave immediately

Who pays fees, buys uniforms and boots, trains twice, invites their wife kids or relatives to see you play footy all to spend most of the afternoon on the bench

Youre all bias and lack empathy for the individual who come to your club to play footy, and believing this player is having a wonderful time & developing immensly by spending 60% of the game sitting on a bench NOT PARTICIPATING youre in my opinion delusional. Sorry :D

So he goes to a less successful club, gets a full game and gets whalloped week in, week out and doesn't enjoy the day, doesn't get to socialise much after the game as not many go back to the club after a loss. He can be complacent that he doesn't need to improve his skills as he will get a game regardless as his new club has to make half a dozen calls every Thursday night to fill the last couple spots.

Then comes Saturday when the coach is waiting outside the changeroom door sucking on a durry watching the carpark to see who else might fill in or is going to rock up or not.

I think most blokes know where they stand in the team, it's not a great feeling as a coach telling players why they are starting on the bench or not getting a game but it's a part of life in sports.

There is a reason I don't play professional golf.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Huge turnout by the OSB/Lonsdale players and faithful. The bbq was under the pump during the A-grade and punters were spilling out of the verandah to watch a great game of footy.
by Q.
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Huge turnout by the OSB/Lonsdale players and faithful. The bbq was under the pump during the A-grade and punters were spilling out of the verandah to watch a great game of footy.

Lonsdale would have one of if not the biggest following of any club div 4 down. Once they start winning a few more watch more of all the old Sullies crew start rolling up each week. Great for the competition.
by LaughingKookaburra
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RIP to former OSB/Lonsdale player and coach Shannon Dunk. A real good guy, taken far too young.

Condolences to his young family.
by norwood8
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OSB vs ML game looks a beauty.. be interesting to see how they manage the ground - it's a strange place to play footy I've found. Lacks any sort of atmosphere and tends to be stupid windy, it's hard to really get into the games, and Lakes generally play it well. :lol:

Don't bother having a shower there either, they're build for midgets. ;)
by The Bedge
Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AdFl Junior codes

Ive been involved in junior footy from u8's to u15's over the past 9 years and currently involved in 2 age groups.

In the last couple of years I have seen a noticeable change for the worse in parent attitudes towards their kids behaviour and also volunteering at footy (BBQ/Canteen/goal umpiring/Team Manager/Coordinators/TIme keeping)

I strongly believe the next generation in parents have been brought up in the new world where everyone gets an award for participation and everyone feels entitled. Ive heard teachers say similar things which confirm my thoughts.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all parents as there are also some excellent ones out there, but there is a new wave of parental thinking/behaviour out there in society which flows onto community sport.

We had an incident in the u12's last week involving a club that has now moved into the AdFL, one kid hit one of our players in the head, our kid retaliated and they both correctly got sent off, the kid spat the dummy and wouldn't even return to the field once his 10 minutes was up. Their coach and co-ordinator were excellent however, they couldn't apologise more and did not condone the behaviour one bit, cause of this the game continued on in a positive environment and all kids finished the game in a positive manner despite one ugly incident. It was a very powerful lesson for the other 35 odd kids who witnessed the incident.

This was an example of how important having the right people coaching/coordinating kids sport is IMO, the kids and parents either conform to their standards or they are not welcome at the club, sadly I'm seeing parents (mostly who don't volunteer either) have more influence over clubs and drive their agenda's which spreads like a disease if not managed correctly.

There are numerous coaching sessions and training the SANFL/CFL offer, once the coach has been appointed, I strongly believe they need to be more proactive (and even help) clubs go about being much more selective in appointing a junior coach, not just appointing a parent who puts their hand up.
by Dutchy
Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's setup something like this:
*NOTES*
- Interchange benches are the red stars to the left
- Change rooms is the red star top left
- In the past from memory there has been a soccer ground marked I think? It's inside the left hand side boundary by a few metres and can cause a little confusion.

ML.JPG
by The Bedge
Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nate McDonnell kicked 10 out of his sides 12 in the reserves and 6 out of 9 in the A’s for Mitchell Park today. What a brilliant effort.

I remember him and his bro Luke in the late nineties dominating for Mitchell Pk, both boys also loved to scrap. How old would Nate be now? He is an absolute champion. Etching himself into the highest of echelons of Mitchell Park lore with Leck and Jonas

He's in his late 30s.

Still going strong, Nate must have racked up a serious amount of career goals. Have to be very close if not over 1000 it feels like he’s kicked 50+ per season for a very long time.
Never been paid a dime. Could've played much higher, especially when younger, but chose loyalty. Doesn't get the credit around the traps I don't think for what has been, and continues to be, a startling amateur football career. Actually played his best season on a wing too back in the day.

The thing for me about Nat isn't the goals, but more that he's there on every fundraising day, every club event, stays back Thursdays, stays back Saturdays ...

With complete sincerity, there is no-one I respect more - not just in football, but life. I encourage everyone to shake his hand this year and tip your cap. I don't know how many more seasons he has.

As an aside, Nat and Cass (his equally devoted wife and club stalwart) read this and passed on their gratitude. Except for calling him Nate hahaha
by morell
Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That Trinno waiting for the easy scraps??

#seagull....

;)
by am Bays
Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

eric wrote:Game of the week? A Reserve game? mmm..

Houghton beat Lonsdale by 15 goals. Lonsdale beat TTG by 6 goals.
Surely this will go down to the wire.
1st v 2nd in the A's has nothing on this game.
by Courtney Fish
Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Many thanks to Sullies for their hospitality today. Great day for footy.
by Q.
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Id like to donate $10 towards a fence around lonsdale football oval (and seperate it from the high school ovals) which would allow parking around the oval too and i will also donate $5 towards a new 2 storey clubrooms and community centre to be built there.

Can you make it an even $20 so we can get a TAB too?
by Courtney Fish
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |