Search found 47 matches

Return

Re: HFL Central Division

overthehill wrote:According to the 2006 Census, Echunga has a population of 846 people v Uraidla's 461.
That's almost double! You should have belted them if success was based on population?

Add Ironbank and TV....

Its not population in the Hills, its how hard you are prepared to work
by Dutchy
Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yellow & Black wrote:IMO from Lobethal:
Bampton
Skinner
Zadow
Johnson
"Snake" Jenkin - otherwise known as the better Jenkin
Lacey

Baust?
by flash
Wed May 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Stribling already have one hand on the league medal?

Stribling must have had 50 touches on the weekend and would have got 3 votes IMO.
Dowdell, Duncan, Heberle, Zanandrea, Thach, TJ could all poll votes in the 3 wins.
It's only 4 games in and too early to be talking about league medal winners.
Great day Saturday for the 10 year premiership reunion and it was good to catch up with some past legends of the HBFC. There was certainly some sore heads Sunday though.

Stribling gave himself a new nickname Saturday night and was calling himself 'Nintendo 64' cos he was telling everyone he had 64 touches on Saturday.
by THACHY_7
Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking forward to watching the interleague match between Hills and RMFL. Do you boys traditionally get a pretty strong squad together? By that I mean do your "guns" suit up for it?
by Monopoly Man
Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thatchy was benched to save on meal vouchers
by hairy cat
Sun May 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Comp is great but having seen Uri , Mt Barker and Lobey over the past 3 weeks Uriadla are 7 goals better than Lobey and 10 Goals better than Barker. The rest make up the numbers and are very even and results will be based on who gets injured etc etc. Most sides cant afford to have 4-5 players out as some clubs have had over the past few weeks. Will be some great footy over the next 6 weeks . 9 wins may get a team a finals spot.
Didn't Loby beat Uraidla. Regardless I think you're right about the top 3 are set & the rest are fighting for 4th & 5th.
by cracka
Tue May 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow - your mail is way off the mark and incredibly inflated guys.

I would think we are more like half of that.

Comparing to Uraidla, Lobey, Mt Barker, Ironbank - and now TV to name a few.

As I mentioned before we are quite lucky that the players who we do look after are not mercenaries and are playing for the right reasons.

if we hadn't gone into Central we would have lost quite a few to Central clubs for the level of footy played and they were offering a lot more money than us.

The guys have a point to prove that we are competitive with a relatively unchanged side from Country.

They were also sick of flogging sides by 100 points and playing some weeks against teams a long way away.

Ironbank and Torrens Valley certainly are one of those sides, but Lobey? Think you have got your mail there wrong Legs. I went through their side that played Blackwood on the weekend and there was 16 players who have played Junior footy for the club, no way are they forking out the dollars compared to others running around. They even tried to lure Jesse Aish but was out done by $$$ to your club. Keep digging pal, you'll strike gold eventually.

I'm positive I read that Legs man stated his club pays moderately so there is no hiding there. Why would Aish go to Lobey when he is an Echunga premiership winning junior?! The facts seem to be that echunga have recruited only two walk up start A'grade players, they couldnt afford O'Sullivan (also according to you) but yet they're still big spenders? WTF!
Mate please pick a point of view and then attempt to not compleely contradict yourself - because thats :oops:

So why did Aish go to Barossa Districts in 2012? Why didn't he back to his former club then?
by Under_Scrutiny
Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Country footy problems solved!!! After much discussion over a few beers we have a solution.....All Clubs must play 60% or 14 of their 21 A Grade players who have played Juniors for their club!! This is easy to officiate for the Hills League and still allows up to 7 A Grade imports for clubs like Uraidla, TV and Mt Barker who feel like they need it because they cant play their locals and still win. When you look at it, it means you only need 2-3 senior colts to come up every year to the Senior squad to sustain a Club. Also once "imports" play at a club for 5 years or 100 games or so they qualify as locals.

This will also encourage players in League or Reserves footy to stay longer which will take the pressure off the SANFL or if they leave, to go back to their Junior club.

Once again easy to police for the League and makes all clubs invest in their junior grades to develop A Grade players.

Welcome the excuses!!!
by Tanka
Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

So how did the cods fo yesterday v the hills? I couldn't find anything online or in the paper today

Good to see Gene rip the bag yesterday for the crows, 5 goals is a good return at any level

Ripping game Biffboy. Cods went down by 5 points unfortunately. The Cods missed a lot of sitters but as a poster on Hills thread said it was one of the highest quality country games I've seen in my 20 odd years at the level.
by Monopoly Man
Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How did Thach get a game before Galbraith?

He can take my spot, I won't be playing in this rubbish tournament again.
The quicker the league accept that this format is s**t, the better off it'll be.
Players sacrifice their Saturday on a long weekend to play 2x40 minute games.
We play our first game, then do nothing but wait around and let our body seize up, then play our final game 2 hours later.
Spoke with an U23 player and he said he too enjoyed driving 2 hours to sit on a 5 man bench and play 25% game time (which in this tournament equates to playing 10 minutes per game and 20 minutes for the day).
Why don't the APFL do what most other leagues do and play a full 4 quarter game against another league?
by THACHY_7
Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If APFL play YPFL then have 2 games
17's followed by A grade.
Then North East can do the same against Nortern Areas somewhere else
And have 17's followed by A grade.
Then the 2 A grade winners of each game play off the following year
by THACHY_7
Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Many years ago Lobethal provided the "top up" for Mount Torrens, plenty of famous Lobethal names played at Mt Torrens because the comp (Div 2) was a little more relaxed and/or they couldn't get a game with Loby. It was very sad to see some of those guys go and some (and their children) never came back to us. The comp and the community was a bit different then and money wasn't the big deal it is now.
by Windbag
Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Absorbed some very concerning information today. Have it on good authority that a few HFL clubs are paying a hell of a lot more for the services of SANFL players than recently speculated on this forum. One player in particular earns more for one game than most of us would take home in a month, all thanks to a bidding war between 2 HFL clubs. It's obviously not restricted to the HFL, all country leagues are poaching from and killing the SANFL, Something needs to be done. My suggestion, cull the points to 5-10 per club, that way we go back to playing locals and showcasing what Country Footy is all about, playing for the jumper.
by Yellow & Black
Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.
by Banker
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ I love your style. You just proved you know nothing - IB has the smallest town in the hills comp by a mile. Nearest school is at Scott Creek and less than 60 kids. How many reside in M P and Echunga. I know to the dollar what Motlop and Jarman get and you are so far off the mark its laughable. I for one like many believe money is killing footy and the only way you can kind of police that is to put the player payments through the books - give them group certs and then say to clubs right you must play 18-19 local players out of 21 or 22 each week. - 3 imports only. They do this in a couple of leagues I have seen in Vic and it works quite well. FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues. You guessed it Committees and Presidents. As the economy tightens things will change all for the better hopefully.
by has been
Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great - nice to know that drainage isn't applicable to some of the ovals.

Sure it is a winter sport but when you are in the Adelaide Hills drainage for your oval is an essential requirement.

On a positive note - Echunga should be used to it after playing at Blackwood and their boggy oval last week.

Can't wait to get back on the home deck!

Surely this is a joke? Good on Echunga for upgrading their drainage, but seriously stop going on about how good your facilities are, you've made your point and no one cares. This isn't the AFL, it's hills footy. Ovals are going to get muddy, deal with it.

On a side note, I would have thought a lot of ovals are still under the control of the council, so it's not the clubs responsibility to pay for upgrades to the oval.
by toot toot
Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First time post, you obviously Lost chopper!
Tigers were not good enough on the day so yes they lost, however winning or losing is not the topic Willie......when you leave a club feeling disgusted and hoping you never have to go back there again it is not good for hills football. Listening to the language of most of the coaches from all grades aimed at their own players is a disgrace. And no one should have to hear the words yelled by the full forward towards the young goal umpire, who should be proud of himself for staying out there after such intimidation. Their are some good people at Torrens valley unfortunately they are out numbered by too many numb nuts.
by always there
Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Must be a full moon - so many ridiculous posts with drama queen overtones.

Legs Man - the reason Echunga are even in Central Division is because a majority of the Clubs wanted the HFL to act in accordance with the by-laws. That's why they voted to make Mt Lofty go down - to honour the by-laws. So it follows that if the by-laws are good enough to get you promoted, then they're certainly good enough to see you relegated if you finish bottom of the points table - simple. Your club knew the rules of relegation before the season started.

I note you state that TV were given a 2 year moratorium to stay in Central. 100% Incorrect, Why invent a fact to support your argument when it's clearly not true? If TV had of finished bottom in their first year up, then they would have come down. As it turned out, no team in Country asked to come up that year anyway.
You also answered your own question when you talk about the cost to "finance" the A grade team as a reason to downplay the points given for junior teams. You do see your flawed logic don't you? The strength of a club is more than the size of their cheque book. Hahndorf are likely to win the A grade wooden spoon this year yet are also likely to win all 3 junior premierships. Surely the fact that Echunga are paying more than Hahndorf for A grade wins doesn't mean they need to be given a concession. Despite Echunga playing A grade finals and Hahndorf likely to win the spoon, I know which club is stronger.

Finally, Looks Good in Leather - surprised you think Bridgewater are in danger given they have to play Uraidla and Echunga, so between the senior colts and B grade will be over 150 points without much effort.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Chop - I haven't said how good we are too much - just how good it is for other sides getting to play at Echunga.

Surely you agree it would be a travesty if we are forced to go down and are juniors are destroyed after 1 year without ample planning for all grades?

The HFL hasn't done us any favours and seem unlikely to in the future.

I have everything crossed that we can beat TV but it shouldn't come down to this when we are firmly entrenched in the finals race.

We appreciate your support and the support of the other fair minded clubs and supporters.
by Legs Man
Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Mt. Barker get rewarded with a final considering the condition of their oval and their horrendous away changerooms they offer that is a joke! It's about time the richest club in the competition is forced to do something about one of the worst surfaces and away changerooms going around.

Also, i cannot understand why the points system is under fire from everyone... It is only just starting to take effect and the competition in central is probably the most even it has ever been. I think if you see a couple of retirements out of Uraidla next season that you will see an even closer competition next year! The only thing that needs to be fixed is the allocation of extra points (there shouldn't be any) and maybe a fine tuning of the scaling.
by shake'n'bake
Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"But hey...who would have thought...the club has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation?"

Surely you are having a lend here Elmer....
I know for a fact in 2011-12-13 you blokes were spending plenty.
Luke McLean, Matt Fosdike, Brad Devries, Ben Eckermann, Stuart Bown...... Could keep going mate. Those 5 alone were on 700+ and that's straight from their own mouths.

Rob Prime has done a great job with the club and it is in the right direction, especially with some senior colts success.

Well, I can categorically tell you that they were lying to you if they all said that.

In fact, just to make you look more foolish, one of the names you mentioned above played for nothing (correction, we gave him free shorts and socks to be fair).

kluzek, Johnson, and Gatto played for the great club facilities. Love the Bridgy oval I hear. Good to see the recruits stuck around. Admire what Bridgy are doing now but there is no doubt they have paid massive coin and had very few stick it out.
by magpiemaster
Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I also agree Troy is worthy winner. Well done!

Congratulations also to Matt "Butch" Nuske in the A2's, a back pocket player for Loby in 2013 who decided to get very fit over the summer and found himself playing in the pivot this year. The hard work paid off.
Tigers also very proud of A grade runner up Tim Jenkin senior colts runner up Charlie cowlam and third junior colts Edward Ruediger, well done to them all and well deserved recognition. Your club is very proud of all four of you.
by always there
Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done Legs Man on a great win yesterday. Well deserved. Just proves the point you can buy a premiership. It is a pity the rest of your club is shit. One trait that you don't have unfortunately is a thing called humility. That speech after the game yesterday sums up the mentality of your members. You could learn something from Uraidla in that regard. - As the Has Been has stated previously on here as early as pre season - there will be an 11 team central division next year and 8 team Country so lets stop all this dribble and crap re relegation as people are sick of it. Go the Hawks next week. :D 8) :lol:
by supercoach
Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not being familiar with the HFL has this rating the club across all teams policy been in for a long time, Did all clubs vote for it and has it been implemented to ensure that clubs don't buy premierships? I can understand Echunga's not wanting to go down but what do they suggest happens to the teams in the country division striving for success and promotion. I think in this situation whist it may be unfortunate, if the delegates voted in this policy regardless of where your A'Grade have finished if your club has not performed as a whole then the rule should apply. Echunga get your house in order and come back a better and stronger club. But don't try and get the rules changed just to suit your situation.
by twobob
Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am purely suggesting that the clubs must have now had enough of the continuing saga that they keep enduring.
There are tireless workers within the HFL and I have no doubt that as volunteers they are trying to get it right.
My whole aim is to see our competition across both divisions succeed and be something we can all be proud of.
As SC has mooted an extended competition is best solution - but with the statements coming from the league they seem reticent to implement or drive this.
The solution I propose is the same with either an 11 or 12 team comp which allows the best sides within the top tier Central division and enables the Country sides to have an even competition that they can strive for a premiership within.
Having the likes of Mt Lofty, Echunga or even to an extent Nairne playing in Country division does not promote football with very uneven results eventuating.
For this type of change to occur it naturally needs to be driven hard by the governing body as clubs have their own backyards and interests as the priority.
Due to the alignment of HFL administrators to clubs within the league we now need an independent person employed as CEO to ensure a neutral and unbiased platform.
This will then ensure the HFL is viewed as totally neutral when decisions are made and implemented.

Seems silly and over kill considering there's only one club that seems to have a big issue but ill humor you.

How much do you think a salary of a person would need to be to attract someone of that caliber? (considering senior ranking Police officers don't seem to make the grade in your eyes)
where would the money come from to pay this interdependent person?
how would they prove to be completely independent? (even though i don't believe the board members get a vote on HFL law)
What if the new CEO looks at the laws and says "yes Echunga need to adhere to HFL law and go to country division for 2015"?
are all these outlandish suggestions just making the real mockery?
by overthehill
Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A 'forum' at its best. This is entertaining.
by Justquietly
Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HFL board only administer the league, the clubs actually govern it.

Again the HFL has no power to change the rules, its the clubs that do that.

We are not a laughing stock, if anyone or any club feels this then F*** off to another league. The constitution would be similar to other leagues, its the by-laws (which the clubs vote in) that are different & are again governed by the CLUBS. Get that through your heads, the CLUBS govern the league & can change the by-laws. The HFL has no vote on this.

There was meant to be a big board spill & vote of no confidence at last year but no one had the balls to VOLUNTEER their time & cop the crap for the CLUBS getting it wrong.

Legsman, you better put your hand up at the AGM & volunteer to get on the board as they AGAIN will be looking for helpers, then you may have your eyes opened as to how things are actually done in the HFL.
by cracka
Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HFL board only administer the league, the clubs actually govern it.

Again the HFL has no power to change the rules, its the clubs that do that.

We are not a laughing stock , if anyone or any club feels this then F*** off to another league. The constitution would be similar to other leagues, its the by-laws (which the clubs vote in) that are different & are again governed by the CLUBS. Get that through your heads, the CLUBS govern the league & can change the by-laws. The HFL has no vote on this.

There was meant to be a big board spill & vote of no confidence at last year but no one had the balls to VOLUNTEER their time & cop the crap for the CLUBS getting it wrong.

Legsman, you better put your hand up at the AGM & volunteer to get on the board as they AGAIN will be looking for helpers, then you may have your eyes opened as to how things are actually done in the HFL.

:shock: :lol:
Mate, all leagues have issues that seem ridiculous & make them look like a laughing stock, the problem is people would rather whinge about them or suggest something but not actually put their hand up to help. That was one major problem that came out of the review.

Finally a sensible post. The HFL will follow the rules as agreed and Echunga will go down unless they gather the support for a change to the by-laws. We are in no way a laughing stock and it's only people who don't understand the system that think that.

The by-laws are there to prevent exactly what has happened, a club fielding a strong A grade side without the capacity to compete in other grades. Strengthening your seniors is much easier than your juniors so you must have a solid base when you come in, though I appreciate it isn't easy to build in a dysfunctional Country junior comp. I enjoyed the trip to Echunga this season and wish they were stronger across the board so they could stay up, however I think the move up was hasty as they have now come up to Central a 2nd time without the strength across the board. They should have learnt properly from the first attempt in mid 90s.

The one thing I do agree with was the extra allocation of points to Torrens Valley this year and other clubs (including my own) over the past few years. That should be taken off the board as they have proven to not manage it as intended.

If I were to propose two by-law changes they would be:
1) Board has no ability to change the APPS points once set based on results
2) A team promoted from Country Div is not eligible for demotion in it's first season in Central (guaranteed 2 seasons) and therefore if they finish bottom of the rankings in year 1 the club finishing 2nd bottom will be in line for demotion.

Clubs would never vote the 2nd option in to apply for the current season but it should be in place for next year to provide some reassurance to clubs seeking promotion. Going up and back down quickly can really hurt a club.
by Amateur Footy
Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man wrote:Would be a pretty hollow victory not playing against the best in the competition for Central clubs.

Lofty could argue that also this year, they took their medicine as a club in 2014 and will no doubt be stronger going back up in 2015, maybe Echunga should do the same?
by Dutchy
Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legsman - for the sake of everyone. Go off somewhere and write a book! Your stories are getting more boring by the moment.

Reckon McGahey will be a good choice for Onkas.
by MONTE CRISTO
Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For God's sake give me a break! This is the HFL and not the ECHUNGA FOOTBALL LEAGUE!

Can anyone confirm theses Coaches for 2015:-

URAIDLA DISTRICTS - Scott Sutherland
MOUNT BARKER - ???????
LOBETHAL - Jeremy Aufderheide
BLACKWOOD - Damien Salievic
TORRENS VALLEY - Dale Eichner
BRIDGEWATER - Rob Prime
IRONBANK - Andrew Jarman
ONKAPARINGA VALLEY - Ryan McGahey
HAHNDORF - Craig Smith
MOUNT LOFTY - Bruce Dawes

Echunga - who cares, they are in Country Division!
by MONTE CRISTO
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow! Central div club presidents vote in favour of increasing their chances of a 2015 premiership.

In other breaking news, the sun came up this morning.
by Banker
Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just out of curiosity, if it turns out the taxpayers helped fund Echungas A grade premiership, does that change any opinions about whether they should stay in central div, certainly changes mine.

Also any Echunga people who complain about Torrens Valley getting extra points this year, you have short memories, Echunga were given extra points in 2013 which if not given you wouldn't have even been in central div.
by cracka
Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Chopper, if you are going to start that stuff you might want to man up and tell everyone who you are? Pretty gutless and pointless hiding behind your alias if you are going to make statements like that!
Pretty sure the Echunga boys will welcome anything you throw at them, the roughing up tactics of uraidla worked pretty well on gf day..........
I think you will find that chopper has gone fishing and is getting plenty of bites....
by always there
Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hey boys the court has ruled that echunga football club cannot be relegated in 2015 ----about time our the hfl directors show some leadership as their principal activity is to promote --encourage --foster ---and advance Australian football in the hills ----- ps think most of the directors have been missing in action for several years ---time for new faces on the board ------and its starts with some board member resignations ---
You putting up your hand?
by always there
Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

stupid comment
by jumbo20
Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hey cracka ---just how close do you think most teams were to the undefeated echunga a grade of 2013 ---could of lost the grand final and still ended up in the central div in 2014 as kersbrook were never going to apply for promotion -----the I extra point made no difference ---for a total of 12 unlike mt lofty who entered country with 15 points in 2014 ----just a touch of bias ---ps cracka please put us in contact with the government department that supplied the taxpayers funds as they could be handy again in 2015 ---
Have only just read this properly & you've said they could be handy AGAIN in 2015, does that mean you did use them this year. :D
by cracka
Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey chopper 7 D Liston is ok player. His dad is a good goal umpire. Ask the young player that he biffed whilst officiating in a game this year what he thinks of dad. Threatened to kill him I believe. Not bad for an adult and another good advertisement for junior footy at echunga. Got kicked out of the game but then he walked the boundry threatening the kid. Great parent for any kid to be involved with. The club stuck up for him. Great junior program. Then what about the under 15 game................ it goes on and on. By the way who is coaching next year...... No more indigenous govt handouts................ Seriously !!!!
by supercoach
Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ironbank were relegated in 98 based on poor facilities and not filing all junior sides. Came back up in 02 after 4 straight GFs in country. Nairne came into HFL Div 1 in place of Ironbank in 98 from RMFL.
How long were Nairne in the RMFL?
They were still in Hills Div 2 when we left at end of 1990 and were a pretty strong club. When did they leave the Hills?
In 91 Kersbrook & Nairne joined Div 1, Echunga finished 2nd bottom & Nairne were winless. The HFL wanted a 10 team comp in 92 so both were relegated but Nairne went to RMFL for a few years.

Hey cracka got me thinking so did a bit of research with some old final sirens.
Central 2005-6 only 9 teams, 2007 Birdwood came up to make 10
Country 2005 11 teams including Milang in A&B's they didn't win a game but had a better % than some of the later Callington teams and Blackwood's 2nd group
Country 2006 11 but Milang dropped out (Hear the Roar may be able to answer ) did they go to C's only? Kangarilla came back in from the SFL I think.
Country 2007 10 teams when Birdwood went up.
Country 2008-9 9 only when Blackwood dropped out.
Country 2010-12 10 when Sedan Cambrai came in
Central 2011 Birdwood out TV in
Country 2013-14 9 when Callington dropped out.
Central 2014 Mt Lofty out Echunga in
YOPK you've inspired me so I did some research, the late 80's/early 90's went something like this
1987 Div 1: 11 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Nairne
1987 Div 2: Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Barker (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley (Blackwood had 4 senior sides & Milang had a side playing in Mt Barkers B grade slot)

1988 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (same as 87 minus Nairne)
1988 Div 2: 8 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley (Same as 87 plus Nairne minus Mt Barker (2nds)

1989 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1989 Div 2: 10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Ironbank in from only C grade in 88 & Maccy in from ???)

1990 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges (no change)
1990 Div 2:10 teams - Barossa Dist, Kersbrook, Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Nairne, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Maccy/Milang (Maccy/Milang combined for a season)

1991 Div 1: 12 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Echunga, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook & Nairne (same as 90 plus Kersbrook & Nairne)
1991 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Mt Lofty (3rd), Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Bar Dist to BLG, Maccy had A & B's, Milang had a side playing in Mt Loftys B grade slot)

1992 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Echunga to div 2 Nairne to RMFL)
1992 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield (Echunga in, no Lofty 3rd side & Milang played in C grade)

1993 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook to Div 2)
1993 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Blackwood (3rd & 4th), Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Eastern Ranges & Kersbrook in, Mt Torrens didn't field a side)

1994 Div 1: 8 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty no change
1994 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Ironbank, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook (Blackwood played in C grade & Mt Torrens reformed)

1995 Div 1: 10 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Birdwood, Ironbank (Birdwood & Ironbank up from Div 2)
1995 Div 2: 8 teams - Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood & Ironbank up to Div 1 & Callington formed)

1996 Div 1: 9 teams - Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Lobethal, Mt Lofty, Ironbank (Birdwood to Div 2)
1996 Div 2: 9 teams - Birdwood, Mt Torrens, Echunga, Gum, Pleasant Valley, Macclesfield, Eastern Ranges, Kersbrook, Callington (Birdwood back from Div 1)

Will do from 97 to 05 when I can. I don't remember any teams putting up a fight when being relegated through the above period though.
by cracka
Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

just drove past Echunga oval, they must have the shortest goal posts in the league. Maybe that's why they didn't get a final. Ovals not up to scratch.
by Yellow & Black
Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just drove past Hahndorf oval, most of their U13's are taller than echungas goal posts
by Yellow & Black
Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see me old mate chop chop is back, if you were at the grand final last year i got plenty of kicks and took a couple of beauty's in the 2nd half and kicked a lovely goal from around 45. Grocke coming up for a free snitzle and coke i suppose? T.V. picked up the other Ellis + a couple of North Adelaide seconds players but lost the jordans. Cam Hitchcock to I/B. The Southern Demons had 42 out at training tonight with 8 new recruits and lost no one albeit a top 5 club and bottom 5 club trying to lure 2 of our stars away for big money and you aunty chop chop reckon we pay plenty i think you live in a glass house cause i reckon your club pays out plenty.. thats got you thinking hey chop chop you had a look at the draw i think we play you in Rd 3
You must've been unlucky to miss out on the best on ground medal running defender its about time you performed on the big stage because you haven't impressed me much in your past grandfinal appearances
by Kick'n Back
Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alright, enough is enough. Lets talk some footy!
What are peoples thoughts on teams this year, looks like it will be another tight year with any number of teams capable of winning the flag.

Echunga - last year will fill them with confidence. With a few more class players added in they will be right up there.
Uraidla - Could go either way. Is their time up? Are they too old? i would think not. I would expect them to be in the top 3
Lobethal - Haven't heard much, nor do i know much about their team or recruiting. If they got to a prelim and only had 17 fit at the end i would suspect they would be confident in making it further this year
Mt Barker - have plenty of resources and vary rarely miss out on finals. Question will be if they can lure some players to help them get back to the top
Blackwood - Seem to always be around he mark but never really threatening. i dont expect big things from them this year either.
Ironbank - always seem to be on the brink of a finals appearance. I reckon that this year they might make it. Jars will know the team a little better and get a bit more out of them.
TV - Whilst the money man is still there they will always be competitive. May push for a top 5 spot based on the second half of last year.
Bridgewater - Maybe a county div flag or probably another bottom half finish. Which is not a bad thing as they are devolving a young and talented team.
Onkas - its been said before, they promise the world and deliver squat. I think Mcghey will have a positive impact but i just cant see them winning enough to make the five.
Hahndorf - Sounds like they lost Roberts, replaced by Grocke. One player can make a hell of a difference but the loss of Roberts will negate most of the impact Grocke will have. tough to see them getting off the bottom.
Mt Lofty - Stronger team than when last in central. Last year would give them confidence. Have lost Gordon though. 6th to 8th is my prediction.

to sum it up i dont think the top 4 will change much in terms of teams and would suspect that any one of them can win it. With that in mind footy is a strange game and you cant write any team off!
Sorry for the long winded post but i think its about time we got on with footy.
Dont be sorry, its a great post. I feel sorry for YOU, you're playing a lone hand representing you're club well. There are a couple on here who are undoing all the good work by yourself.
by cracka
Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

lovethefooty wrote:David Liston.....where is he from?

He is a running defender from Echunga
by Alaska
Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man please STFU

EVERYONE is sick to death of the HFL bashing.

The points system is working IMO, i honestly believe it has evened things out. It still plays into the hands of the clubs like your own with DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets, but no system will ever change that.

I was a massive Echunga fan for what they were able to do last year until you got on here and started ranting. You had every right to challenge as the rule was poorly written and the correct judgement was handed down. So move on, and like others have said, spend your energy making the competition stronger. Not taking every opportunity to tarnish the best country football league in SA.
by shake'n'bake
Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Another cracking weekend of footy coming this saturday on a very important day in Australian history, always great to go to a service in the morning then head to the footy afterwards. My tips for the weekend;
Ironbank V Blackwood- Big rivalry game between the two neighboring clubs, Hugely important also as both teams are 1 and 1 after two rounds. Bricknell appears to be dominating for blackwood and will be important to stop for the thunderers. Dundovic was kept quiet on the weekend but it's hard to see him having two poor games on the trot , whilst for the bankers Motlop will be out which is a big blow but hopefully we can get a couple back this weekend from injury to somewhat cover his loss. De visser has been very good to start the year and blackwood would be sure to put in some effort to stoping his influence. In the wet conditions blackwood may be suited with their bigger bodies also. Blackwood by 2 goals.
Echunga V Uraidla- Well this should be a cracker and I'm sure both teams would be chomping at the bit for this saturday. Going to be a feisty affair and both mclean brothers will be up and about after last years GF as they are both angry men. However, echunga are rolling at the moment and with harland and aish dominating up forward are hard to stop, which is why the midfield battle is key and that begins with Cranna versus down which goes along way to who wins the game. Not sure if Carey will play due to crows again which is a key loss but this will be a close tight affair. Echunga by 1 point.
Onkas V Lobethal- Two teams in desperate need for a win. Lobethal have had a horror start to the year after being touted as a premiership chance but it shows how good this comp is, if you dont turn up on any given day you will not win. In saying that Lobe are to good not to bounce back, Tim jenkins appears to be in fine form just needs the others like baust and bampton to lift with him. Onkas are struggling with injuries again and need tanner, woolford, green and hausler back asap. There 4 of their best 8 players, if they return this week onkas are a chance especially in the wet as lobe cant use their running game to good affect. Lobethal by 2 goals, however if onkas get some players back wouldnt be surprised if they won in the wet.
Hahndorf V Barker- Barker have kicked goals in only 2 quarters this year which is frankly amazing with the talent they have. I know they have a couple out but there not coming back soon by all accounts and they need to lift desperately, They have played the top two teams however so there draw will get easier. Hahndorf had a great win on the weekend and will add handby to the mix this weekend which will help in the wet especially. I cant see Barker winning again, they appear to be leaving it to to few in hughes and the kid with the long last name, whereas hahndorf have had many contributors and are always tough to beat in the wet. Hahndorf by 3 goals.
Lofty V Torrens- Seeing lofty firsthand they are well coached and pressure fantastically well. In sunny conditions against TV they would have no chance as they dont have the key defenders to stop their forward line but if its wet and muddy lofty are a big chance as they are big and tough in the middle led by miles and have some crafty small forwards that get to the feet of nielsen. Still TV have some quality mids and montgomery appears to be dominating to go along side O'sullivan which is going to be hard to stop, add to that renshaw down back and they have class all over the field. Lofty will make TV sweat in the wet but will win by 2 goals.
by batmanbegins
Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Another big week coming up, the top 3 appear to be separating themselves from the pack but Lobethal appear to be hitting their straps also whilst some teams are desperate for a win;

Onkas V Uraidla- Onkas have been competitive in all bar one game but just keep falling away in the last half/quarter, they were up against barker on saturday at 3/4 time but just couldnt hold on. This week though there going to need a 4 quarter effort to be any chance, hopefully they get a couple of good players back also. Uris just keep going and in the wet they are particularly hard to beat with their big strong bodies around the ball, Ivens, delvins and richards appear to be in fine form which is scary for the rest of the comp but also the youngsters are stepping up which bodes well for the future. Uris will be much to strong and win by 6 goals.
Backwood V TV- TV had a good win against us whilst blackwood seriously challenged the dees last week. Blackwood have picked up Wong who should be handy, Bricknell and Thompson have been fantastic pick ups plus the ever reliable magarey, herbert and edwards are playing well. However, TV is hard to stop with their 3 key forwards and quality midfield giving them plenty of supply its near impossible to stop but if the woods get their captain fittingly named woods back that will help as long as thompson down back they may have a decent chance to stop them. Ive got a feeling blackwood may cause an upset, the woods by 2 goals.
Lofty V Barker- Lofty would be disappointed by last week and will respond in kind this week, whilst barker finally got of the duck with their first win. With rain expected and probably a boggy mt lofty oval, lofty are well suited to win as they are probably better in the wet conditions and it will also hurt Barkers running game. Miles and Nielsen as always are the keys to lofty, basically stop one of them and your half way to a win. Hill is hitting form for barker, whilst Hughes has been fantastic as always but there appears to be to few trying doing to much for the roos. Going with barker by a goal but not at all surprised if lofty get up.
Bankers V Lobethal- Lobe are coming of a big win, where as we are coming off a loss where we squandered a lot of chances especially in the 2nd quarter by all account (I wasnt there but I heard that). FIsher is looking ominous up forward for lobe and baust is hitting top form plus young kruse played a good one on the weekend and will be excited to play against his old club. Hitchcock played well by all accounts and is hitting top form, Keeley, Thomas and young Tags are all playing good footy down back and with I believe Motlop and Martin returning this week we will have everybody back baring our young ruck recruit for the first time this year. In saying that Lobe are all class and will be a little bit to strong by 2 goals.
Hahndorf V Echunga- Hahndorf have been really impressive this year, Hourigan has been a great recruit whilst there young guys are all getting better and Purling is as good as ever. Echunga are going strong, Guy is a big in this year, lindsay is a star and Cranna would be the best ruck in the comp this year. This will be a great battle, If Hahndorf have Handby and Wittwer then the game is 50/50 but if they dont i'd say the dees would be favourites. The Robert's Bros are going to need to step up in the ruck and give Paul, Tripodi and Co first use of the pill but Jennings and Co are to hard to stop. Carey will be a big out again but the others are stepping up in his absence. Echunga by 1 point.
by batmanbegins
Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |