Search found 785 matches

Return

Re: Things that you rate!

woodublieve12 wrote:My youngest laughing for the first time. And my eldest making her laugh. Love being a dad

Love when my lad gets the giggles. It's the best sound!
by valleys07
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2015

saintal wrote:Hopefully their loyal "customers" (to quote N. Smart) enjoy it.

#19thcustomer
by valleys07
Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2015 season

bennymacca wrote:I hope sydney and hawthorn are still ahead of port, but the rest isn't bad

FTFY ;)
by valleys07
Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adelaide

Best Case Scenario - Patrick Dangerfield re-signs and has a career best season on his way to a Brownlow Medal win, forming one of the most lethal midfield combinations with Sam Jacobs and Rory Sloane building towards elite, and Brad Crouch emerging as one of the games stars. Tex Walker relishes in his role as captain and places high in the Coleman Medal race. Talia leads a back 6 brimming with confidence following a breath of fresh air under new coach Phil Walsh, with Adelaide's first look at their 2 pillars in Talia and Lever exciting fans that a weakness is all of a sudden a strength. A cohesive, team first attitude sees Adelaide create massive inroads towards a premiership assault in the coming years.

Worst Case Scenario - Dangerfield accepts a lucrative deal with a Victorian powerhouse. Jacobs and Talia suffer lengthy injuries exposing Adelaide to an obvious lack of depth of key position players, and Phil Walsh's first year in tenure produces inconsistent results, causing Adelaide's fan base to scream sabotage from their cross town rival.

Valleys' final thoughts It's hard to see Adelaide missing the 8 this year. A dream run from a fixture perspective, and what can be described as almost the complete spine, Phil Walsh will be looking to bring a hard nosed, team first approach to this line up. Fresh change often brings out the best in young groups, and with an average age of 24.2, its a matter of getting games into the kids to see the crows become a serious threat in the coming seasons.

Position : 6th
Best & Fairest : Rory Sloane

Young guns to watch : Matt Crouch, Jake Lever
by valleys07
Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Amid reports Hammer had suffered a hamstring strain and would miss 3-4, PAFC have confirmed it was just a 'scare', and Hamish will resume running on Monday.

Great news!
by valleys07
Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sydney

Best Case Scenario - Sydney extract revenge for last years Grand Final hammering, sweeping all before them on their way to the flag. Buddy justifies his move on field, with another premiership medallion, and Tom Mitchell and Issac Heeney make their presence felt in a midfield group which grows from strength to strength. Kurt Tippett manages to show that he is worth at least a quarter of his actual salary.

Worst Case Scenario - Buddy continues to offer distractions with off field news, Tippett proves as useless as a nuns tits for a $1m player, and opposition players smash into Sydney's midfield, exposing obvious fragility of a star studded midfield group.

Valleys' final thoughts - I can't help but think the 2014 GF has opened up some obvious deficiencies in Sydney's line up. Don't get me wrong, they have natural talent to see them through to a top 4 position, but when the heat was on in the kitchen, Hawthorn's tackling pressure and complete and utter contested mauling of Sydney's midfield was unlike anything I have ever seen from two high calibre sides in a grand final. It will go one of two ways..

Position : 3rd
Best & Fairest : Lance Franklin

Young guns to watch : Issac Heeney, Tom Mitchell
by valleys07
Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My lad had his first swimming lesson this morning. Absolutely loved it!!
by valleys07
Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My lad had his first swimming lesson this morning. Absolutely loved it!!

Well played, Papa V.

I promised Mrs. C that I'd get swimming lessons if/when she got pregnant.

The best bonding experience we have had thus far. He couldn't wipe the smile from his face and could have kept kicking and splashing for hours. Was disappointed when the lesson was over!

Melts the heart when you see your child that happy!
by valleys07
Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:My lad had his first swimming lesson this morning. Absolutely loved it!!

highlight of my weekend is taking my daughter to swimming lessons.

Great to hear mate

It's a ripping feeling seeing them enjoy something so much. Will quickly become the highlight of my weekend too I feel!
by valleys07
Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Hence why I have predicted Sydney finish 3rd. I believe that Hawthorn and Port are capable of matching Sydney in the contested stakes, and will.

will they now?? :D

That's why they are called predictions WUB ;)

My wife can attest, if i'm wrong, it won't be the first time :lol:
by valleys07
Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Cancer and illness. Losing family just sucks

Yep. A mate only found out about his is November, was sent home yesterday to "get comfortable" and no more treatment to be done.

It's a shitter.

Last Friday he was told he may have only two weeks. This might prove to be longer than he actually has.....I might go tonight and see my mate for the last time tonight.

Sorry to hear mate.

I can't imagine what that would be like, for both of you.
by valleys07
Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Failed Creation wrote:I also rate the potential Grand Final road trip with @valleys07, @Booney, Mrs. Creation, and hopefully @carey.

Just gotta hope the boys do their bit and make the thing!
by valleys07
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I rate how certain footy fans are getting ahead of themselves during a February heatwave

No getting ahead of ourselves MT.

Port are a realistic chance to make it, it's all about establishing a plan should fantasy turn to reality.
by valleys07
Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Ollie Wines leadership group? @valleys07

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -announced

Just call me "whispers" Boon. 100% strike rate :lol:
by valleys07
Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NAB 1 Review vs. West Coast- Invade the Parade!

PA 1.11.14.89
WC 7.7.49

First off- it was great to see the boys in action for 2015. Obviously one can’t read too much into the results during the NAB series, with games heavily compromised by best 22 omissions. In my opinion, the following (if fit), would all play for their respective sides:

PA- Chad Wingard, Paddy Ryder, Jackson Trengove, Jared Polec, Matthew Broadbent, Angus Monfires, Jack Hombsch.

WC- Nic Naitanui, Jack Darling, Eric Mackenzie, Will Schofield, Shannon Hurn, Scott Selwood, Chris Masten.

The 40 point win to be honest is probably slightly below what I was hoping for/expecting given the outs that West Coast had (I was thinking an 8-9 goal win). The game for mine was a good first up hit out for Port, their first serious chance to dust off the cobwebs after 4 months of another torturous Burgess/Hinkley pre-season. There were plenty of positives to take out of today, but I will touch on those later.

Some areas of improvement for mine:

Port controlled possession, winning the disposal count 347-275. Not indicative of the result, more indicative of Port’s overuse. See handballs:

West Coast very good in the contested stakes, winning tackles 62-49. Contested possessions were even. Shuey, Yeo, McInnes each with 7 tackles and Priddis with 5. For mine, it wasn’t so much the tackle count, but the way both sides tackled- too many Power tackles were just brushed aside, something that I’m sure will be reviewed.

Handballs- Port 172>142. Didn’t like the way we used the handball for much of the game today. Tim Ginever aptly described it in the AA post match summary, “we tried to play like millionaires”. Robbie Gray is the exponent of the look away handball in the Port squad- leave it to him. We tried fancy ball movement, often trying to unnecessarily bring team mates into the game. It throws forward’s leads out of sync, often leaving opposition players the opportunity to get back and defend the target/space. Get it in quick!

My top 5:

Robbie Gray- All superlatives were covered last year, but this bloke is and was today, an out and out superstar. Best on ground by the length of the Flemington Straight. 28 touches and 3 goals at 85% D/E. Wizardry with ball in hand and brings team mates into the game with creative use of the footy and exquisite footwork. Honestly tempting @ $26 for the Chas.

Travis Boak- Sensing a pattern here? Same names, same output. Boak again lead from the front brilliantly, his gut running a highlight for all 9212 to see. 22 touches (11 contested) 5 tackles and 3 I50’s rounded out a welcome start to the 2015 season.

Brad Ebert- Was really taken aback by him today. Set up multiple attacking forays with some excellent link-up, and trade mark gut running that we have come to expect. 24 touches (17 uncontested) and 6 I50’s are some pretty solid numbers. His D/E still down on what we need him to be (70%), but getting his hands on the cod is crucial for him in the early stages, as Port can’t afford to have a repeat of his 2014 form slump, which I’m sure he will attest.

Paul Stewart- His start to the season has really surprised me (as well as impressed me), and could be a shock starter in round 1. Stood out in the match simulation and was excellent again today, seemingly having found a new lease playing across half back. 16 disposals at 100% efficiency, 4 R50’s and a game high 6 1% acts will certainly have him amongst discussions. A round 1 smokey for mine if Jacko doesn’t come up.
Ollie Wines- Not a great return looking at his numbers (18D, 9CP, 4CL), but showed enough to suggest he will play a big hand in transitioning our midfield from bloody good to elite this season. Just an absolute bull around the contest and even after a couple of knocks was still able to influence. Has added a bit of breakaway speed to his game, so not only are we going to see him collect more footy on the outside, his centre clearance and stoppage work will go to new levels this year with his ability to collect, spread and link up with our receivers.

Of our other players:

Karl Amon, Andrew Moore, Aaron Young and Jarman Impey were fringe players slash youngsters that impressed today. Karl hit Robbie Gray with a left foot bullet that wouldn’t have gone higher than 3 meters from the ground in the last quarter which had me crossing my legs with excitement, and Jarman looks to have really elevated his defensive pressure, forcing WC players in making many forced errors throughout the day. Moore and Young did some good things, but still have a way to go to force their way into the side on a regular basis.

Other notes- The Krak did enough to suggest a senior game pends a recall to the senior list, it’s evident he belongs at the level. We need clean users of the footy from the back half and his 7 touches at 100% from 38% game time had me leaving the parade with a smile. He looked to have a few extra seconds up his sleeve enabling him to make astute decisions. John Butcher did some nice things- yeah ok, I’m going to cop some flack here- but his importance to the side will never come from the goals he kicks (or doesn’t kick for that matter), but for the contest he creates. 2 Contests that he crashed resulted in crumbing goals today, and he took some fair pack marks. The likelihood that we will be without Ryder for at least the first half of the year increases by the week, so we have to look at a foil for that long kick into the forward 50. We are not always going to be able to hit Schulz or Westhoff lace out, and will be without Wingard and Monfries for R1, so we are going to have to try something. With his version of a full pre-season (90%), a first since he was drafted- the time is now for John Butcher. Watch the next 2 games with interest. Tom Jonas is an incredible defender 1 on 1- completely towelled Josh Kennedy once Nicksy made the switch from Carlisle after Bobby got his colours well and truly lowered against Kennedy for the 2nd pre-season game in 3 years. I for one can’t wait to see how Ken manoeuvres our back 6 when we add Ryder to the line-up. An area of concern once again is our depth in our back 6, Clurey doing himself no favours IMO with another less than impressive performance.

A touch of disappointment to an otherwise great day was the news of a groin strain to Hamish Hartlett. Hammer was in good spirits after the match, confident he will be up for round 1. More on his injury here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-08/power-hopeful-on-hobbled-hartlett

I’m already looking forward to our next match next Saturday at Lavington Sports Ground in Albury NSW against the Tigers. Ken has previously declared intent to take a fairly young squad over, considering the travel factor to Perth in round 1 when deciding when to rest our guns during the NAB series. Expect a close to full strength side for NAB 3 against the Crows.

Until next time, carn the Pear!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2015

It's always nice to see a minnow nation perform well and take the game right up to the stronger nations.

It's a shame for England, they fell agonisingly short last night.
by valleys07
Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NAB 2 Review vs. Richmond- We Are….The Academy!

PAFC 5.7.37
RFC 1.14.10.103

Goals- Young 2, Broadbent, Clurey, Redden.

http://bakermen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/officer-barbrady-move-along-people.jpeg

I read a great stat before the first bounce, which immediately put my heart at ease and allowed me to brace myself for what was going to be a long afternoon in front of the telly. The stat? Richmond had a combined games tally today of 2003 playing today, Port had 682. More compelling was our outs: Travis Boak, Robbie Gray, Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Ollie Wines, Kane Cornes, Matt Lobbe, Alipate Carlisle, Jackson Trengove, Tom Jonas, Jay Schulz, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard, Paddy Ryder, Angus Monfries. What this did offer us was a magnificent opportunity to observe our 2nd tier talent, exposing some of them to the elite level for the first time.

Given the lopsided result, there isn’t a great deal to discuss.

Things that went right:

• Our adherence to our game plan was consistent over 4 quarters. Despite the scoreline, I thought the teams endeavour to stick to Hinkley’s attacking mantra was pleasing. Whilst the skills and fitness levels of the squad’s younger players are evidently disproportional, it will be great to watch the evolution of some of these players at SANFL level as the season progresses.
• The performance of a few players in uncustomary positions. Fingers crossed this given Ken an added string to the bow if teams get a sustained period of dominance in a particular area.

Things that went wrong:
• Skill level was disappointing. Excluding the first year draftees, it was really disappointing to see simple skill errors and unforced errors from players that have been on our list for multiple seasons.
• A 2nd string forward line that is a long way back from the pack. Evidence is clear we are a long way back from the depth of a Hawthorn and Sydney. If we get injuries to KPP’s again this year, it will severely dent our chances of a 2nd Premiership.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Jared Polec. I thought Jared was our best player today and is looking towards becoming a more consistent cog in our midfield this season. Visibly stronger around the contest and again fitter on last year, his repeat running a highlight. 26 touches (19 UCP), 5 clearances, 3 I50’s saw him top Port’s statistical numbers along with Mitchell. Will benefit from a stronger showing in the contested stakes, particularly stoppages.

Matthew Broadbent- Liked what I saw of Brogsy today, particularly when Ken flagged more midfield minutes for Matty this season earlier this week and during today’s game. Took a little while to get into the contest, but was clearly our most dominant midfielder after half time. Finished the game with 21 possessions, 4 clearances, 3 I50’s and a nice goal. Look forward to seeing him through the midfield this season as I do believe he can add value to the quality of F50 entries with elite disposal, similar to Hamish Hartlett with the ability to kick over the lines.

Paul Stewart- Put in another compelling performance on the much taller Vickery, whilst generating significant rebound offensively. Numbers of 20 touches, 7 marks, 3 R50s backed up a strong performance from last week, and another performance like this next week will give Hinkley one hell of a conundrum surrounding the make-up of his back 6 in round 1.

Jack Hombsch- In fairness, Jack Riewoldt got the better of the contest early, but not a lot did go right when a scoreline of 38-0 was the result at quarter time. Hombschy gradually got the better of the contest as the game wore on, forcing Riewoldt to collect a lot of his possessions up the field and limit his presence on the scoreboard. Numbers of 13 possessions, 7 marks and 2 R50’s whilst limiting Riewoldt to 11 touches and a goal is a solid first up performance for 2015.

Karl Amon- Beginning to find his feet and is getting closer to a debut by the week. He was a little sloppy by foot on occasions, but works very hard offensively and was solid defensively. 18 touches, 7 marks and 3 tackles rounded out a solid day.

The rest:

Kane Mitchell- 26 touches (65% DE) and 3 I50’s looks good on paper, but was largely ineffective for mine. Works hard both ways, but I’m not sure he has what it takes to cut our best 22. Makes far too many skill errors (largely under no pressure), which just won’t see him take that next step.
Aaron Young- Did some nice things, finishing with 21 touches and 2 goals. Well and truly in line for a round 1 spot after the poor showing of his competitors.

Cam O’Shea- It’s hard to gauge the quality of defenders when they are under the pump to the magnitude Port were today, but along with Stewart and Hombsch, I thought O’Shea defended really well. 16 touches and 7 marks probably won’t see him in the round 1 line up, but definitely around the mark.

Tom Logan-12 possessions and 5 marks with 4 1%ers, a typlical Logan game- workman like.

Brendon Ah Chee- Needs to improve and quickly. Unlike last week he found some footy today, finishing with 14 touches and 3 tackles. Good in close but Port fans question his pace and I’m inclined to agree. Will need some consistent 30+ SANFL games in the Ben Newton mould to get a look in this season.

Jarrad Redden- Was just brilliant to see the big fella back in action. Largely ineffective due to his 2 year hiatus from any level of footy and Maric showed the gap in fitness, but a last quarter goal along with 21 hitouts was another step in his recovery. Will be a massive in for the Magpies as he re-gains his touch throughout the season.

Matt White- His round 1 spot under question for mine. 2 uninspiring displays leave a massive game against the crows required to get a game IMO. 11 touches (most coming late) just isn’t good enough, his run and drive a serious weapon to our premiership hopes.

Jake Neade- Another battling for a spot for Round 1 and although he tried hard, left me unconvinced. Given no space to work his magic, but finished with 3 tackles and was solid defensively.

Darcy Byrne-Jones- Largely insignificant for mine. Went without a disposal for the first half, and although he finished with 9, DE @ 44% won’t do him any favours. Another season to develop in the SANFL beckons.

Tom Clurey- Matched up on Lambert for the 1st half defensively who probably had him for pace. Switched him into the midfield in the 2nd half, finishing with 10 touches at 90% DE and 8 1%ers, rounding out a solid defensive game.

Jasper Pittard- Was excellent until he was subbed off, he is in for a massive year I reckon. 10 touches, 5 marks and 2 R50’s from 50% TOG suggests enough that Ken sees him a massive part of our back 6. Crucial he develops into a fringe A grader, his rebound critical to many of our offensive plays.

Andrew Moore- Back in the pack for a round 1 gig, undid everything that set him apart last week IMO. 12 touches @ 66%, 5 clangers and no influence around the stoppages or centre clearances, as well as no scoreboard impact. Will need a massive game next week to bring him into R1 contention.

Nathan Krakouer- Again very very good, especially in the first half. Tired as the game wore on (expected) but with a senior spot likely available, he is a monty to grab it. His numbers were 10 touches @ 80% DE and 6 R50’s and 6 1%ers- a terrific performance defensively, not giving his opponent an inch.

Sam Gray- His cleanliness stood out today, making many unforced errors under no pressure. 12 touches with 3 clangers and no scoreboard impact. Well and truly superseded by the Krak for a senior spot.

Johann Wagner- Liked what I saw from a SANFL perspective, as I think he has a lot to offer the Magpies this season. Tremendous pace and strength, just needs to impose himself more on the contest. Wished he had of slotted the shot on goal in the 3rd, but was good defensively with 4 tackles and 3 1%ers.

Dougal Howard- I think we have something to work with here, and will offer a bit to the Magpies this season. Crashes packs hard, and whilst he didn’t record great numbers (8 touches, 3 marks)- one certainly can’t question his endeavour.

Jesse Palmer- Similar to Howard, looking forward to watching what he brings to the Magpies this season. Limited time with the ball (6 touches from 52% TOG), but did a few nice things.

Sam Russell- No impact on the contest as the sub, finishing with 1 posession from 40% TOG. Laid 4 tackles, which is a noticeable feature of his game from his 2014 season with the Magpies. Needs to develop offensively.

John Butcher- Same old. Headless chook- constantly out of position, no impact on the contest when the ball went forward. Took a couple of nice grabs when shifted to defence but largely uninspiring.

Mitch Harvey- Huge lump of a lad that needs a mountain of work aerobically to impact the contest. Did some nice things in the centre square when giving Redden a chop out, but a lot of improvement is necessary to see him take the step to AFL level.

A close to full strength side will be on show when we take on the Crows at AAMI on Saturday 21st of March. Hopefully we will put our best resources forward in preparation for a trip out west- the first of a supremely tough 5 week block, season defining one might say. See you at the footy.

Valleys.
by valleys07
Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fremantle 2015

They have already served their 2 years.....the football public that is..
by valleys07
Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fremantle 2015

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Titus O'Reily's take on the Ryan Crowley controversy (apparently all true).
July 13: Sample taken

August 11: ‘A’ Test done

August 13: AFL panics and tips off David Evans. Evans points out he doesn’t work in football anymore. He also tells them to ‘get stuffed’.

August 16: A crisis meeting decides to wait for ‘B’ test before trying to cover everything up.

August 18: Player told ‘A’ Test result

August 20: Hit man hired to take out ‘problem individuals’ if ‘B’ sample confirmed. $500,000 paid up front with another $500,000 on completion.

August 23: Hit man disappears with the money. Turns out it wasn’t a hit man but an Auskick coordinator who had come in to ask for some footballs. Now believed to be in South America.

September 11: ‘B’ Test confirmed

September 13: A meeting involving representatives of the AFL, the Illuminati, big pharma, David King, the CIA and Vladimir Putin decide to ensure the AFL Grand Final is not overshadowed by the news.

Group also decides to keep AFL being shown in Standard Definition ‘for the laughs.’

September 14: David King places a bet that Ryan Crowley will test positive for a banned substance.

September 18: Show Cause Notice issued. This is the fastest time ever for ASADA.

September 19- 24 Someone reads Crowley the Show Cause notice, explains the big words.

September 25: Provisional ban

November 15: AFL write to ASADA asking if they can ‘keep this one quiet.’

November 30: Hearing nothing from ASADA, the AFL breaks into the lab where the samples are held. Unfortunately, they mistakenly steal several paternity tests bringing down several court cases in Moe.

January 14: Another crisis meeting held in the broom cupboard at AFL HQ. More just for fun than for anything relevant here.

February 19: Meeting between AFL and Fremantle. Ryan Crowley tags along but just ends up annoying everyone at the meeting. Has to be forcibly removed after tackling Gillon to the floor and holding him there for an uncomfortable period of time.

March 9: Vladimir Putin secretly flies to Australia in a last ditched effort to keep the issue covered up.

Putin attempts to ‘shirtfront’ ASADA but can’t get past the receptionist.

His efforts are further frustrated when he discovers that to even be considered for shirtfronting ASADA, there are seven forms and two interviews.

Putin leaves Australia after concerns he is dead intensify back in Russia. “I am sorry Gillon,” he says, “say hello to Andy D for me.”

March 16: Announcement of positive test

March 17: ASADA respond to AFL’s request to ‘keep this quiet.’ They write, “Thank you for you’re letter dated the 15th of November. We acknowledge its receipt and it has been referred to the correct department. Expect a response in late 2018.”
by valleys07
Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:Oops :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Introducing the senior coach...PIL WALSH!"

#derp
by valleys07
Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your first kiss...

1st peck- A girl named Camille behind the school hall in grade 1 or 2?

1st real kiss- A girl named Sheree at my cousins 13th birthday party. She had to leave my cousins party early so I started hooking up with another one of her friends Carley later that night :lol:
by valleys07
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NAB 3 Review vs. Adelaide- Let the real stuff begin!!

PAFC 13.15.93
AFC 3.13.12.117

Goals- Butcher 5, R.Gray, Young, Schulz 2, Ebert, Wines.

Well Power fans (and crows fans too), can NAB 3 be read into with much substance? Did the Crows head to AAMI intent on making an early statement to the competition by beating a nearly full strength top 4 side? Were Port satisfied with the way the first half transpired and spent the 2nd half foxing, intent on getting to round 1 unscathed? Being brutally honest- probably both.

Let’s not discount the performance of the Crows firstly, they were impressive yesterday and are this seasons bolter into the 8, perhaps top 4 if all the stars align. Walsh has the makings of a side looking to play ruthless defence first football with some impressive offence on the turnover, and their tackling pressure was immense yesterday- a stat I can’t recall Adelaide excelling in for a number of seasons. Despite Adelaide winning the contested possession stat 150-136 and tackles 73-69, there are two areas of concern for Walsh and his coaching staff. The number of times Port did use link up handball to good effect, setting up numerous attacking forays did expose Adelaide for lack of pace on the ovelap. Who will assist Talia? Against the Cats, Mitch Clark helped himself to 6 on Kyle Hartigan whilst Talia blanketed Hawkins, and yesterday Hartigan and Kyle Cheney allowed John Butcher to kick 5. Teams with 2 genuine key forwards in Hawthorn and Sydney will comfortably expose Adelaide in this area.

For Port- not a great deal went right after half time, however it was evident for mine that Hinkley was tampering with positioning looking for that plan B. Through stages of the 2nd half Port were operating very much a 2nd string midfield rotations (Westhoff I could appreciate but Schulz!?). We were consistently exposed over the back, and the 2 way running that we have been renowned for over the past 2 seasons largely went missing. Whether that’s taking the foot off the gas in preparation for a fortnights time, or a genuine working over from the AFC I don’t know, but we will know for sure after round 5.

Things that went right:
• Our starting midfield worked brilliantly, with centre clearance and stoppage work poetry in motion at times. Boak and Gray looked a class above during the first half, with Ebert and Wines involved in plenty of overlap play. Boak and Wines in particular were massive in the tackling stakes- not just numbers but ability to stick the tackle.
• The Fuchia! Yeah, Yeah I can hear the replies already- but he looked a completely different player yesterday to the one that I watched intently last week vs. Richmond, and to the player everyone has become accustomed to over 2012-14. His first 2 minutes summed up the difference- a strong pack mark finishing in a goal, and a Boak clearance hitting him nicely on the lead a minute later, which has been my main criticism of him. 5 goals (including a freakish soccer) rounded out a nice day at the office.

Things that went wrong:
• Skill level was disappointing again. For the 3rd week we have overused the handball for mine, leaving us horribly out of position when we turn it over- Adelaide putting us to the sword with multiple goals seemingly un-contested. Sometimes we would put players under immediate pressure, where the Crows were able to capitalise with ferocious tackling. If a tackle didn’t cause the turnover, one too many handballs would trigger a rushed kick to a Crows wall or a hospital handball, where opposition players would pick the crumb and leave us completely out of position to defend the counter. Given this is the crème de la crème of the PAFC game plan, it’s concerning to see us enter round 1 vulnerable in this area.
• A defence minus Jackson Trengove spells all kind of trouble for PAFC. We are a ridiculous stat of something like 2-14 minus Trengove in our 22- absolutely staggering! Carlisle trailed Walker for most of the day, and my observation of our best defence revolves around double teaming of the oppositions best forward, whether it be Carlisle/Trengove and Hombsch, or Carlisle/Trengove and O’Shea. Forcing our intercept player to defend one on one is a vulnerable link in an otherwise solid back 6.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Travis Boak- Enters round 1 at the top of his game, with 2 stellar pre-season performances. Numbers of 34 touches, 4 clearances, 10 tackles and 6 I50’s spell headaches for opposition coaches. Ross Lyon will be scratching his head without Crowley as to who to send to him. In for another huge season if what I have seen this year is anything to go by.

Robbie Gray- In the first minute of the game, a Jacobs tap was beautifully sharked by Gray, where a left foot pass hit Ebert, and Ebert hit Butcher for a mark and goal. At quarter time he had 12 touches and 2 goals, whilst being involved in arguably the play of the day for Port, where a clearance from Westhoff to Wines to Boak, back to Wines to Gray resulted in a goal from 40- an exponent of link up handball at its finest. 29 touches, 7 clearances, 4 I50’s and 2.2. He is quite possibly the only player I have ever seen who has been pinged for a throw twice where he has clearly handballed it, such as his freakish level of skill *check out his between the legs handball last year called for a throw, and again yesterday in the 2nd quarter*

John Butcher- I’ll continue to praise, because I could again be critical in 2 weeks time, but I really enjoyed his game yesterday. He was jumping at the footy, he led really well, and applied good defensive pressure- ticking all the boxes of what I want to see from him. 6 marks (5 I50) for 5 goals is a great reward for effort. Last week I questioned his ability to have any understanding of leading patterns, but I left yesterday questioning myself as to whether quality ball movement is the key to John having a good game vs. a bad game, and his confidence follows the scale. Have we seen the making of John?

Jared Polec- I’ve really enjoyed his pre-season thus far, and he could be on the cusp of a true break out season. 20 touches, 3 clearances, 6 I50’s and 2.2, with Broadbent the only player finishing with a higher D/E for players with over 20 touches. The best exponent in the Power side of the 30 meter kick bar none, which sets up most of our link up run. My call is for Polec to be a fringe A grader by the end of this season.

Brad Ebert- At his hard working best yesterday, often on the end of overlap handball. 24 touches, 4 clearances, 6 tackles, 7 I50s and 1.1 rounds out a solid pre-season. The increased fitness level will hopefully see his skill level improve, whilst seeing him playing a key role in the fortunes of our season. One we can’t afford to go missing for extended periods of a game, or blocks throughout the season.

The rest:

Ollie Wines- Massive numbers (32 touches (18 contested), 8 clearances, 7 tackles and 5 I50s, with a goal. Just a beast around the contest and showed the more experienced players how to tackle in the 2nd quarter, wrapping Walker who is a brute of a man. All that from 68% TOG- wow.

Kane Mitchell- Quite simply won’t impact the competition when you accumulate ball and waste it. Unable to spot up a target when in space and fires out handballs to players under pressure being my 2 biggest criticisms of him. Will be a top tier SANFL player this season, but that’s about it.

Aaron Young- Round 1 lock now. 20 touches, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 2 goals. I really like his work in stoppage situations, and has the versatility and defence first attitude to impact the side when he goes forward. IMO could play a key role in the absence of Monfries.

Cam O’Shea- Not quite sure where I see Cam at this point. Had a really, really good finals series last year and I thought he was in for a breakout year this season, but his pre-season has left me unfulfilled. 12 touches and 2 R50’s is a quiet stat sheet imo, and went missing when Port were really under the pump in the 3rd quarter- much like our entire back 6 really. Magpies bound for R1.

Matthew Lobbe- The only area where I can see Matty improving is his work around the ground. Broke even with Jacobs in the centre (stat was 33-32 hitouts and 15 centre clearances each), Jacobs hitting the scoreboard giving him the upper hand. The addition of Ryder will be scary for our midfield group.

Kane Cornes- Neither here nor there for Kane. There was no evident tag, and he finished with 20 touches. Involved in some good link up but nothing else apart from that.

Matt White- By far his best game of the NAB series, but still underwhelming for mine. Finished with 18 touches and 6 I50’s, but really need him to be hitting the scorebard, or generating goal assists- neither of which were a feature of his game yesterday.

Jake Neade- Gets in the right spots but is physically bullied whenever he gets his hands on it. Opposition teams are conscious of his goal smarts and really close his space (something our small defenders were lax in doing). 13 touches, 4 tackles is a modest day at the office.

Matthew Broadbent- Have enjoyed Brogs’ 2 games and thought he was prominent in the first half before fading out of the game. 22 touches, 4 R50’s and 2 I50’s, his possession count affected a bit by over-possession in the back half for mine. Good user of the footy so will see more midfield minutes this season.

Jack Hombsch- Precautionary substitution with what appeared to be a corked thigh, but thought he had a reasonable day. 13 touches and 6 marks rotating between Walker and Jenkins- probably our best defender on the day.

Tom Clurey- Sub for the day and didn’t see him until the 3rd quarter. 5 touches and 3 marks from 40% TOG- wasn’t prevalent on the contest as a result.

Jasper Pittard- 15 touches, 3 R50’s- not outstanding numbers. I think our defenders had a tough day at the office, as their mid-sized forwards and small forwards got a hold of us.

Justin Westhoff- Well held yesterday- 14 touches, 4 marks and 3 h/o. Credit to Adelaide, they didn’t allow him the freedom in our defensive half to execute rebound possession.

Tom Jonas- A nothing game from Tom, with just 9 touches and 4 tackles.

Sam Gray- An audition for a spot on the senior list which won’t eventuate. 14 touches at 42% just doesn’t cut the mustard, and with our small defenders getting a decent touch up yesterday- Krakouer’s name is surely locked in for an upgrade, and potentially round 1.

Jay Schulz- Well held by Talia, but got away in the last quarter to kick a couple of goals. 10 touches and 5 marks.

Jarman Impey- Concern for Jarman and our ability to cover the small forwards. Betts gave him a bath yesterday I thought. 4 touches and 5 tackles, whilst Betts finished with 20 touches and 2 goals. Seemed caught in 2 minds whether to contests or mind his opponent, often making the wrong choice. With Walters as lethal a small forward as there is in the game, one has to think we will go with Krakouer in Round 1 who has been brilliant defensively this pre-season.

Alipate Carlisle- See “things that went wrong”. Walker got the better of him both physically and aerobically. 10 touches and 7 1%ers, but Walker’s supergoal saw him turn Bobby inside out- where all Bobby needed to do was corral Walker to the boundary line. To say we need Trengove in the side for R1 is an absolute understatement.

Paul Stewart- 5 touches from 26% TOG as the sub. Unlikely to play in R1 but is in the mix with strong showings in NAB 1&2.

Admittedly i’m a little nervous heading into round 1. We have had a somewhat reserved pre-season, with Ken intent on keeping his poker hand close to his chest. I don’t want to appear to be disrespectful to Adelaide, but I do believe whilst we were well beaten, we took the foot well and truly off the gas after half time, Ken having seen what he wanted to see. That comment could come back to bite me after round 5, but I’ll back the boys in to be a very different side both mentally and visually against Fremantle, with Trengove, Hartlett and Wingard all but certain to line up in Round 1 according to Ken. Bring on the real stuff ladies and gentlemen- 2015 promises to be as closely fought a season in recent memory. Good luck to the teams of all our posters this season (a little less luck for the tingles), and carn the pear!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KEN OATH!

:D :D
by valleys07
Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did you mean to leave De Boer out?

:lol:

Nice pick-up- I had him in place of Mzungu. Edited.
Really wish you weren't just a Port supporter & could do your write ups for every team.

Cheers Cracka- appreciate the feedback mate!

I certainly wont be doing write-up's for every game- It takes me long enough to do the Port Adelaide games :lol:

However- If there is demand for it and if time permits, I'm happy to provide some analysis on the crows games that I watch. I will be heading to AO with a mate this week so could compose a review on their game. I cant guarantee they will be as in-depth as the Port ones though!
by valleys07
Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup Commentators

Really rate Jonathan Agnew. Voice of Shane Warne Cricket 99 and i've really enjoyed listening to him ever since on the radio.
by valleys07
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 1 Review vs. Fremantle- Butchered!

PAFC 10.8.68
FFC 11.9.75

Goals- Wingard, Wines 2, Butcher, White, Boak, Neade, Ebert, Schulz 1.

Such is the level of anticipation and the intense build up to round 1, it’s feelings of separation between the winners and losers that are unrivalled throughout the remainder of the year for mine. In the grand scheme of things it’s merely four points, but one cannot under-estimate the feeling of an early season win to springboard a team into the upcoming season. It’s a funny old feeling sitting here 0-1, as we Port fans have been privy to special starts over the recent 2013-14 seasons.

For the neutral observer, tonight’s game was a ripping spectacle between 2 teams that are destined to be around the mark at the business end of the season. It was typical of Fremantle, just hard, contested football where Port Adelaide were just unable to get their free flowing game style in sync. Over the last 6 months since the Preliminary loss to Hawthorn, Ken Hinkley has spoken publically about winning the 10 or so moments that define games of football. Tonight sadly- we were again beaten in this area when it mattered. When the game was in the balance in the last, Sandilands monstered in ruck, Mundy was winning stoppage clearances, Fyfe turned on beast mode to verify his status as one of the games truly elite, and Pav was just there taking critical marks and kicking clutch goals when his team needed him most. Whilst our match winners in Boak, Gray, Wines, Wingard were all doing their upmost to get us over the line in the last, that clutch moment just didn’t come from these names- when it’s not your night, then….

When viewing the season holistically, we will be better for these crunch games- real finals like intensity. I do sit here a little concerned over a few names that have had interrupted pre-seasons, or have had unconvincing NAB campaigns. Premiership teams are built around players 15-22 as much as the critical components of a side, and it’s hard to mount a case in favour of Port players in that bracket tonight. Whilst I am doing my best to avoid jumping at shadows being round 1- White, Neade, Butcher will all fall heavily under the microscope in the week leading up to a critical round 2 clash at home against the Swans.

Things that went right:

• The games from some of our young guns tonight left me salivating at the thought of what they may be producing in another 2-3 years. 4 of my top 5 players tonight are under the age of 22- hopefully another stepping stone in seeing us cement ourselves as a long term challenger.
• Our defence. Given the volume of forward 50 entries that Fremantle generated (58-42), and the pace to which they were transitioning the football (33.3 disposals per goal compared to 39, and 18.3 disposals per scoring shot compared to 21.7), I thought our defence as a team battled manfully well. Hombsch was a star as that 3rd man up/intercept marker and Impey was magnificent again on Ballantyne. Pavlich was the only real forward that got away from us tonight- hardly a disgrace.

Things that went wrong:

• The Lobbe omission. Please don’t misread this, as our number 1 ruckman’s late withdrawal isn’t the reason we lost- but many a Port fan unable to control their trouser movement at the thought of the big #4 flying for catches inside our F50 were left disappointed before the first bounce, not to mention how we suffered on field. Ryder battled manfully but was monstered by Sandilands, and Butcher was left outclassed by a Fremantle defence well assisted by our mediocre transition going forward. Lobbe will be a massive in for next weeks clash make no mistake.
• The old adage of match fitness. Too many players for my liking went into this game with little or no match fitness, and we paid a costly price. I thought all our players missing for portions of the pre-season had their moments, however in the last quarter when the heat was on in the kitchen, I have to say we needed more from these names to get across the line. I’m happy to trust Hinkley’s judgement- we have bitten the bullet on occasions in the past with success, however tonight was not to be.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Brad Ebert- A fantastic performance tonight from Ebert, his trademark gut running and aggressive link up typified his performance. 34 Possessions (27 uncontested- leading possession getter for the match), 14 marks, 7 tackles and 5 I50’s are some solid numbers, and the only focus area I see for him is Disposal Efficiency.

Oliver Wines- An absolute ****ing bull for us in the contested stakes, and his duel with Fyfe was compelling viewing! Finished with 27 touches (12 contested), 7 marks, 5 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 I50’s and 2 goals- compared with Fyfe who had 31 (15 contested), 4 marks, 4 clearances, 2 tackles, 7 I50’s and 1 goal. I was critical of Wines throughout the night in this duel (just ask Failed Creation haha!), but Wines gets the nod between the 2, another feather in the cap for this outstanding 50 gamer. Has there been a better 50 games since Judd? Unlikely.

Jared Polec- Simply exploded tonight, and his strength in the contest and ability to release the footy was just outstanding. Seemed to be the only Port player able to find the footy and work his way into space, his delivery an absolute joy to watch. 29 touches and 5 R50’s @ 82%- quite possibly the best game of football I have seen Jared play at AFL level. If that’s a sign of things to come this season, he will reach A grade status by seasons end.

Jarman Impey- I had Tom Jonas just about best on at half time, but at completion this lad worked his way into my 5. For the 2nd time in 12 months he completely blanketed Ballantyne’s influence on the contest, Ballantyne restricted to 10 touches and 2 goals (1 late courtesy of the Pittard blunder), whilst helping himself to 15 touches and 4 tackles. He made numerous dashing runs down the ground in an effort to add offensive prowess to his repetoire- just needs more confidence on his runs, often fumbling the bounce halting momentum.

Jack Hombsch- Simply brilliant in the first 3 quarters, as the 3rd up intercept. Carlisle being subbed was the game changer, with Pav having a dynamite last quarter on Hombsch- hardly a disgrace given the gap in experience. Finished with 18 touches, 4 marks, 6 R50’s and four 1% acts. Hopefully gets first crack at Buddy next Saturday night.

The Rest:

Robbie Gray- Plenty of the footy (31 touches, 9 clearances, 8 tackles), seemingly the only player capable of reading Sandilands’ taps. I really enjoyed his game tonight- he would be in many people’s top 5.

Travis Boak- Something was missing tonight from Trav and I can’t quite pinpoint it. Solid numbers (25 touches, 10 marks, 5 tackles), his endeavour as normal, unquestionable. Kicked a ripping goal late in the last- however probably lacked his usual impact on the stoppages, and delivery inside 50 perhaps a little untidy due to the pressure applied.

Jackson Trengove- Back to marshalling our back 6 as if he had never left, and thought it was a solid performance playing primarily on Zac Clarke. 21 disposals, 7 marks and seven 1% acts. A typical performance we have come to expect from Jacko. Will only get better.

Chad Wingard- From the players to have missed parts of the pre-season, I thought he was probably the best of the lot. Seemed to run through the midfield a bit and finished with 20 disposals, 8 marks, 5 I50’s and 2 goals. Seems to pop up out of a sprinkler when we are transitioning the footy from defence to attack, and I hope and pray we see more midfield minutes from him, as he is a truly exquisite user of the footy.

Hamish Hartlett- A fairly run-of-the-mill game from Hamish, seemingly in and out of the contest for most of the evening. 19 touches isn’t great reading, but the most disappointing stat for mine was the 1 I50- with such a lethal right boot, we need him on the end of offensive transition to give our forwards the best chance. Another who will benefit from the run.

Kane Cornes- Nullified Stephen Hill tonight, and finished with 19 possessions. Another workmanlike performance, which is typical of Kane.

Tom Jonas- As aforementioned, I had him just about BOG for us at the half, but faded out of the contest a bit as it wore on. Primarily matched up against Walters and smashed him, restricting him to 9 touches whilst collecting 18 himself. Cracking game.

Matthew Broadbent- 18 touches, 7 marks and 4 I50’s on paper, I thought his offensive game was quite good. He along with Hartlett are needed when transitioning the footy, capable of kicking over the lines. Solid performance.

Justin Westhoff- Normally starts the season like a house on fire but he got belted tonight by Ibbotson. Offered us nothing along with Schulz and Butcher and definitely one who will benefit with Ryder up forward, finishing with just 15 touches.

Matt White- Concerned for his spot in the side, as he has hardly got out of first gear all year. 14 touches and a goal looks ok on paper- but his buzz around the contest and aggressive running seems to have disappeared from his game. Need a big lift from him.

Jasper Pittard- Thought his performance defensively tonight was solid, but most will remember his blunder, gifting Ballantyne the goal and Fremantle the win. Take the good with the bad when talking Pittard’s game, but he seems more astute with his decision making (despite the obvious mistake).

Patrick Ryder- Belted in hitouts (46 to 20) but did some good things around the ground. 12 touches and 5 marks, Paddy is another who will benefit from the run tonight. Craving to see him in action up forward, as that is the primary aspect for his recruitment.

Jake Neade- Lucky to be in the side for mine this week, and just unable to compete at this level when not given any time and space. I talk about taking chances, and his out on the full from 25m out in the 2nd quarter almost had me calling the RAA claims department for accidental damage to my TV. Monfries will start in the 18 next week and Neade will be lucky to hold his spot, as 12 touches and a goal just isn’t offering us enough. 4 tackles a highlight of his game.

Jay Schulz- McPharlin couldn’t have given him a bigger belting. He spent the majority of the evening around half back chasing kicks. Enough said.

Alipate Carlisle- Cramp or injury- not sure but he was subbed off at the start of the last quarter. Much like NAB 3, trailed Pav for most of the evening, finishing with just 9 touches.

John Butcher- A late call up and will be out of the side quicker than he was put in if Lobbe is fit and firing. Wasn’t assisted at all by the sluggish delivery- Spurr absolutely lapping up the intercept marks. A nice goal in the 1st quarter but just 1 kick and 2 handballs after quarter time, finishing with 7 disposals.

Angus Monfries- Not a substitutes arsehole, and failed to have any impact on the game. Needs to start in the 22 or play in the SANFL.

Can’t wait to see us back at the Portress this Saturday night to take on the Swans. The AFL have given us some quality fixtures on the back of a couple of strong seasons and we need to make the most of these by getting 50,000 to the game. I watched the Sydney game on Saturday, noting whilst their comeback win was an outstanding effort, it will be interesting to see their response if placed under similar levels of pressure knowing that we are a fitter side than Essendon. I have my hopes pinned on Kenny priming the boys for this one, with the dangers of 0-2 in this comp hopefully a kick-starter to ignite the season. Crunching the numbers, it seems that no side who has made the grand final since 2008 has lost more than 6 games for the season, so the term “must win game” is literal in the big picture. Until next week- carn the pear!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great win today (as much as it pains me to say that!)

I will hopefully get around to posting my review of the game tomorrow for those that are interested.
by valleys07
Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 1 Review- Adelaide vs. North Melbourne- Roos Philthy as Tex stars!

AFC 21.14.140
NMFC 9.9.63

Goals- Walker 6, Betts 4, Jenkins 3, Sloane, Dangerfield 2, Smith, Lynch, Laird, Cameron 1.

Thank me Crows fans- this isn’t easy :lol: !

Sitting at Adelaide Oval yesterday I honestly can’t say I was surprised at the way the Crows played, what did surprise me however, was just how poor North Melbourne were. The crows were simply clinical yesterday, their strengths used with such authority that their weaknesses didn’t even look like being exploited. Watching them in NAB 3 against the Power- it’s evident the crows are a far better contested outfit this season. Throughout his time at Port Adelaide, Walsh was known for his strong emphasis on 2 way running, with winning contested footy, pressure defence when without the footy and sticking tackles a “recipe for success” through his partnership with Hinkley- a main reason why the Power ranked 3rd for contested possession, 2nd for tackles, 2nd for clearances and 3rd for 1 % acts in 2014. The crows in the same statistical categories under Sanderson/Camporeale ranked 7th/17th/10th/11th- a massive contrast in workrate. It’s in the aforementioned 4 categories which will signify Adelaide’s improvement in 2015- and was it on show yesterday!

Chatting to my Roo supporting mate at the start of the day, we both agreed that the game would be won in the midfield. Adelaide have an obvious Achilles heel in the backline, with only Talia widely renowned as a consistent shut down defender. The Roos needed quick ball from the likes of Dal Santo, Cunnington, Swallow, Wells to give Waite and Petrie one out contests. Well Goldstein did his job but after that the Roos were absolutely belted in the midfield. Sloane, Dangerfield and Douglas just helped themselves to clearance after clearance, and with minimal defensive pressure from the Roos, found Walker and Lynch on the lead as if it were a training drill. Whatever these blokes didn’t catch, Betts found. Clinical.

Back to my area of improvement- how did the crows fare? Contested possessions won 142-115, tackles won 57-50, clearances dominated 40-27 and 1% acts won 43-30- The Walsh effect. The Roos were deprived of the footy to the point the crows rank #1 in the comp so far for least opponent kicks per game, and unlike previous seasons under Sanderson- the crows possessed the footy with intent- their ranking of #1 in kicks over the round suggesting they are prepared to wait for the option to appear, rather than blazing away. Consequently Walker registers 15 marks (9 I50) for 6 goals, Jenkins 7 marks (4 I50) for 3 goals and Lynch 5 marks (2 I50) for a goal. Only time will tell how they fare when placed under the level of pressure such as that applied by a Fremantle or Hawthorn- a great start and positive change none the less.

My Top 5:

Taylor Walker- He is my Robbie Gray of 2015. It takes a player 12 months to get back from a knee recon, and another 12 months to get back to their best and Walker stamped an almighty captain’s presence on yesterday’s game, and a message to the competitions best defenders that he means business for 2015. In fairness every key forward would have dominated with that level of service, but 22 touches, 15 marks, 6.5 and 2 goal assists resemble numbers only Carey used to put up. 3 votes mark it down.

Rory Sloane- I hate the Adelaide Football Club with a passion, but if I had choice of one player to play for the Power- it would be Rory. Tough, Respected, Skillfull and a Determined character- everything you want at your footy club. Was brilliant around stoppages yesterday and was dominant on the spread and on the counter. Numbers of 26 possessions (13 contested), 6 marks, 5 clearances, 5 tackles and 2 goals represent a really good day at the office. Teams such as Hawthorn and Sydney have multi-dimensional midfields capable of winning contested footy, dominating on the outside and hitting the scoreboard. Rory ticked all the boxes yesterday in a great game.

Eddie Betts- I’m a self-proclaimed knocker of Betts, particularly his output against the top 4 sides- but week by week he is silencing his doubters. You can only beat the opposition that is put in front of you, and Betts played a quality small forward game. Walker made things easy- if he wasn’t taking grabs on the lead or clunking a pack mark, the ball was headed to the foot where the #18 would swoop through and either set up a team mate or snap a goal. 21 possessions, 7 tackles, 4 goals and 2 goal assists is as quality game from a small forward as you are likely to see.

Richard Douglas- Since his maiden Malcolm Blight medal win, Richard Douglas is a rather unassuming but damaging midfielder. Whilst much of the focus is on Dangerfield, Sloane and Smith- Dougy goes about his business with damaging effect. The games leading possession winner with 31 touches, he also recorded 9 clearances, 7 I50s and 2 goal assists. The only flaw on his game yesterday was his disposal efficiency, going at 61%.

Rory Laird- Crows fans will ask “What the, Valleys? Where is Danger??”- Well Rory’s game ranks above that. Got the better of Harvey, restricting him to 18 touches and no scoreboard impact, whilst collecting 24 touches and 3 R50’s himself. Either Sando had absolutely no idea how to use him, or he is one of the many crows to have had great pre-seasons and is reaping the rewards.

Honourable Mentions:

Patrick Dangerfield- One cog in an impressive midfield unit yesterday. 25 touches (16 contested), 6 clearances and 2 goals. Left foot on the run in the last following his own work from the centre clearance all class.

Daniel Talia/Kyle Hartigan- Played great games on Petrie and Waite- restricting them to 1 goal in total.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen- Has had a ripping pre-season and looked very promising in his 2nd game. Has always been a very good contested player but much maligned user of the footy by foot. 15 touches (8 uncontested) @ 80% DE shows he has worked hard on that side of his game and is reaping the rewards.

Well 1-0 and sitting pretty atop of the table is a nice feeling for Crows fans, rendering me to an uncomfortable working week!

The biggest thing for Adelaide now is maintaining that level of intensity. Walsh and his team, as well as their supporters have now seen just how good they look in full flight, surely the question lingers- we have seen our best, what is our worst- how big is the gap? This will ultimately decide where Adelaide finish in 2015, and just how far they have progressed. So far- the signs look good. I am certainly looking forward to our R5 meeting, in what is already shaping up to be a corker of a showdown.

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MatteeG wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:what would it be called??

Adopted...

:lol:

Its a pity we aren't reviewing Horse racing:

"Trackside at Booney Valley"

Think of something more lame than that people! :lol:
by valleys07
Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diary of some pregnant blokes

The Wristwatcher to become a father!!

Congratulations bud- stoked for you & the better half!
by valleys07
Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Richie Benaud passes away

:( :(

RIP Richie- the summer of cricket just won't be the same.
by valleys07
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 2 Preview: Port Adelaide vs. Sydney- Saturday April 11th @ Adelaide Oval

Games Played- 24 (Port Adelaide 7, Sydney 17)
Meetings at Adelaide Oval - 1 (Port Adelaide 0, Sydney 1)

Last time they met:
2014 Round 20: Port Adelaide 7.16.58 def. by Sydney 12.12.84 @ Adelaide Oval.
Last 5- Port Adelaide 1, Sydney 4.

Redden back against the Red n White.

679 days between games for most players would spell the end of their careers, which is what makes Jarrad Redden’s return to AFL football on Saturday night so very special. Hinkley has even admitted there were fears Jarrad wouldn’t make it back to the top flight, so I can’t wait to see him run out on Saturday night, such as my admiration for his resilience and determination.

It’s not often Round 2 is tagged as a “crucial game”, but such is the nature of the draw for Port- we simply can’t afford to go 0-2, as it could quickly turn to 0-5 and the season almost over before it began. Heading into this one, it looms as a fairly even battle. Both sides came off tough Round 1 encounters, with Port’s 6 day break perhaps offset by the tough conditions faced at ANZ stadium last Saturday. A lot has been spoken about the individual moments that cost Port Adelaide the game against Fremantle, with Pavlich, Sandilands and Fyfe single-handedly able to will Fremantle across the line. At no stage last week did Fremantle kick more than 2 consecutive goals against us, perhaps a sign that we have matured with football in hand, are able to withstand intense pressure from the opposition when momentum swings their way and showed that we have a Plan B and are prepared to slow down the play, rather than run and gun for 120 minutes.

Summary

Round 13 2014 turned out to be one of the games of the season, the locals treated to Buddy Franklin at his scintillating best, with a 4 goal 2nd half (including 2 goal of the year contenders in the last quarter) proving the difference in a 4 point win to the Swans, handing Port what was only their 2nd loss of the season to date. The return fixture at Adelaide Oval in round 20 coincided with a late season form slump for the Power, with the returning Jackson Trengove unable to arrest the tide as an inaccurate Port Adelaide went down by 26 points.

It will again become a battle of the game plans, with Sydney renowned for numbers behind the footy and capitalising on the turnover, hurting sides over the back where Franklin and Tippett are almost impossible to stop when allowed to compete in 1 on 1 contests. Port’s composure with ball in hand will be crucial to the result tomorrow, as 2014 saw Sydney rank #1 for R50 to I50 transfers (Port ranked #2), as well as ranking #1 for forcing forward half turnovers and #1 in the league for scores from turnovers. Despite Essendon’s dominance over Sydney last week, Sydney still managed 60 I50’s, which with dry conditions expected at Adelaide Oval, could result in a monster scoreline if allowed the same number this week. For Port Adelaide, the key is decision making, picking the right moment to attack vs. defend and speed of ball movement. Last week they went at 79% for disposal efficiency, but the stat that hurt Port as far as scoreboard involvement was the number of possessions per goal (39), allowing Fremantle ample time to stack numbers behind the footy and control the influence of our forwards with intercept marking or outnumbering at the contest. With the aforementioned stats, this will play right into Sydney’s hands, so Port need quick transition into the F50 giving Redden/Ryder/Schulz/Westhoff opportunities at one on one’s with an undersized Sydney back 6 by comparison. Port Adelaide must attempt to match Sydney in the contested stakes. Kennedy (24) and Parker (17) played big roles in Sydney registering the highest number of contested possessions for the round with 176. Port must curtail the contested influence of these 2 to wrestle midfield dominance.

Key Matchup’s

Jack Hombsch vs. Lance Franklin- These two had a very entertaining battle in Round 20, Hombsch in fairness holding Buddy to one of his more modest performances of the 2014 season , kicking just 2 goals amongst 15 disposals, Hombsch rated amongst the Power’s best that evening. With Carlisle not capable of matching Bud aerobically (evidenced in round 13), Hombsch must be the starting option, as he is the only Power player capable of matching Franklin for speed, strength and aerobic capacity as the all-round ideal match-up.

Ollie Wines vs. Josh Kennedy- 2 contested ball beasts go head to head this week in what promises to be a ripping contest, which will surely shape the victor in clearances and midfield dominance. Wines with 27 touches (12 contested) 5 clearances and 2 goals last week, up against Kennedy with 30 touches (24 contested) and 9 clearances. Josh Kennedy finished 2nd in 2014 for contested possessions, and is catalyst for Sydney getting the footy into the hands of Parker, Jetta, Shaw, Hannebery and Jack to release on the outside and thrust Sydney forward. A match deciding match-up I feel.

The 6 points (AFL website)

1. The Swans' two wins over Port Adelaide in 2014 were thanks to their stars; in round 13 at the SCG Lance Franklin dominated with 23 possessions and five goals. In round 20 at Adelaide Oval Josh Kennedy had 34 possessions.

2. The Swans have dominated Port Adelaide in recent seasons, winning 10 of their past 11 matches, including a club-record eight straight wins from 2006-12.

3. This is the 25th contest between the sides and it's the Swans who hold a clear advantage with 17 wins to the Power’s seven.

4. In round one Port Adelaide led the AFL in possessions with 390, and uncontested possessions with 284; in contrast the Swans had the most contested possessions with 176.

5. No player had more contested possessions in the opening round than the Swans' Josh Kennedy (24). Luke Parker also had 17 contested.

6. Lance Franklin remains the game's best key forward according to Official AFL Player Ratings. With almost 572 points to his name he's miles ahead of former Hawthorn teammate Jarryd Roughead (529.3 points)

Team Line-up’s

Port Adelaide:

FB: Hombsch CarlisleTrengove
HB: Pittard Jonas Broadbent
C: Polec Ebert White
HF: Gray Westhoff Wingard
FF: Hartlett Schulz Neade
R: Ryder Boak Wines
I/C: Monfries Impey Cornes Redden

Sydney:

FB: Shaw Richards Rampe
HB: Smith Grundy McVeigh
C: Jetta Jack Bird
HF: Lloyd Franklin Hannebery
FF: Tippett Reid Rohan
R: Pyke Kennedy Parker
I/C: Goodes Heeney Laidler Towers

Valley’s Final Thoughts:

Redden will prove to be an important inclusion this week, ability to get some quality tap work in and around stoppages, as well as forcing Sydney to draw a quality defensive opponent up forward. Ryder will benefit massively for the run last week and will see more time up forward given the selection of a designated 2nd ruckman in the side, hopefully creating havoc for a Sydney backline stretched for height beyond Richards and Grundy. Port Adelaide won’t have the luxury of space to perfectly execute their running game, they will have to stem the flow during periods of the game, with Sydney having passages during our last 2 meetings where we were unable to curtail an onslaught. Sydney got lucky last week. Essendon ran empty after 3 quarters of high pressure footy, allowing the Swans to pinch the 4 points. Sydney are traditionally slow starters, but are 2-0 at Adelaide oval. With a full house packed into Adelaide Oval to cheer the Power on, as well as Jackson Trengove’s 100th game hopefully a source of motivation for the boys, Port to even the ledger in a classic.

Prediction- Port Adelaide by 13 points.
by valleys07
Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Summed up nicely there, Boon. Glad you posted it as I caught next to none of the game at my mates 30th.

Couldn't believe the I50's vs. goal ratio when I had a look at the numbers yesterday morning. I said in my review speed of ball movement would be the key for Port, and obviously Sydney killed us in that area.

Massive game against North this week. 0-3 is danger zone, and with Hawthorn and Adelaide coming up....well...
by valleys07
Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Footy Chick wrote:Eh?

FC, really?!
by valleys07
Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

I think you will find that is the AFL website's prediction rather than WUB there, Rooster.
by valleys07
Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3

I know he's a bit heart in mouth, so Port supporters might not have the same opinion, but as a neutral Pittard is one of my favorite players to watch - good or bad he takes the game on.

Spot on JK. Unfairly maligned imo, you need offensive playmakers from your back 6 willing to take on the contest. I'll admit, whilst at times I want to kill him- the good far outweighs the bad.
by valleys07
Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 3 Review vs. North Melbourne- That Winning Feeling!

PAFC 17.11.113
NMFC 16.9.105

Goals- Schulz 4, Ebert, White 3, Monfries 2, Broadbent, Wingard, Mitchell, Pittard, Young 1.

What a beautiful Sunday evening! The Power are on the board in season 2015, and could Power fans pick a better way to do it? Bogey side at a Bogey stadium (8 from 29 and 5 from 22 respectively), and considering over the last 12 months, Port has a 2-7 win/loss record in games decided by under 10 points, the boys dug deep and pinched the points in arguably the seasons best contest to date. Magnificent!

Last night’s game was a cracking spectacle to watch, although at times my nerves got tested! That first quarter was played at frenetic pace, with some of the contests (Wines/Ziebell and Carlisle/Wright), reminding us that footy is still a contested, tough and sometimes brutal sport as it has ever been. From there it was winning the critical contests, the moments that win football games as well as controlling opposition momentum. Port managed 3 goals in 3 ½ minutes to head into the half time break 20 points up- but that was as one sided as the contest was going to get. The 3rd quarter was free-flowing football, with 10 goals kicked, as exciting a brand of football that has been played all season. North started with 5 of the first 6 goals of the term to take back the lead, with Port rallying to finish with 3 of the last 4 and lead by 9 points at the final change. The last quarter was survival of the fittest- North with Ziebell out of the game was equalised to an extent, with Wines sustaining a suspected dislocated wrist. Linsday Thomas looked to be the match winner with 2 goals in 2 minutes late in the last, on the back of magnificent clearance work throughout the term from North Melbourne (12-7 with 4 to Cunnington alone). Up steps 3 unlikely heroes for the Power. Whilst Boak and Gray were going ballistic in the last quarter- Ah Chee in 15 minutes of footy laid 3 crucial tackles, and his composure running into goal to hand to Young, who ran into open goal had me leaping out of my seat. For Mitchell to kick the sealer was testament to his nights work. 16 modest touches wasn’t the important stat- keeping Gibson to 7 touches in the 2nd half, after he was the game’s leading possession winner with 21 at the half, was. A sign that we had 22 contributors on the park last night, with 4 points in the bank as a result.

3 noticeable areas of improvement for Port post the Sydney game were clearances, contested possessions and tackles. Port won the clearances 44-40, lost contested possession 142-140 and won tackles 72-63, a noticeable improvement on last weeks differentials of 45-36, 135-146 and 76-52, all losses. It’s fair to say the selection changes worked in this area, with Young dominant in the clearances and tackles providing able support to Boak and Gray. The loss of Wines will hurt, Andrew Moore looks a certain replacement, having accumulated 26 touches, 3 tackles, 10 clearances and 7 I50’s for the Magpies yesterday.

Things that went right:
• Our underdone seasoned players began to show signs they are hitting some match fitness, and form that follows. Monfries was lively around the contest, and was getting into great spots as a lead up option and a crumber. Hartlett was very influential on the contest accumulating big numbers, whilst also doing some wonderful things off the ball. Ryder was magnificent in the ruck against Goldstein, not through centre bounce numbers but around the ground work- Goldstein did not take a mark all night. Chad Wingard and to a lesser extent, Jackson Trengove, had their moments. More of a sign they will take a little longer to work into things given their injury layoffs, in comparison with the other 3.
• The performance of our back 6. Sure- we gave up 105 points, but the rebound of the likes of Pittard and Broadbent in retrospect, probably won us the game. A reflection of the game style that both sides like to play, it was destined to be a shootout. Bobby Carlisle was able to work Petrie up the ground (8 marks but only 1 inside 50), and Hombsch did a number on Waite.

Things that went wrong:
• Ollie Wines dislocating his wrist. Enough said.
• Justin Westhoff. I’m a bit unsure as to where Justin is at the minute, but I sure hope he turns it around quickly- as we are 10 times better outfit with him up and running offensively. Averaging 16 disposals and 7 marks this year, compared with his first 3 games of last year being 17 touches and 8 marks- it doesn’t look much different. His output on the scoreboard has diminished (7 goals to start the year last year, just the 1 this year), but it is where he is collecting the footy that is the issue for mine. Seems to be collecting a lot of marks and disposals in the back half of the ground. We need him as a presence up forward next week, as a backline consisting of Gibson/Lake/Stratton will monster Schulz and Ryder. Lobbes, if he is back in the side will be incredibly important for the movement of Westy- it’s a matter of when for that to happen…

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Matthew Broadbent- The COBRA! Magnificent game from Brogs, probably the best I have seen him play at AFL level. Had a magnificent first term, and whilst he couldn’t maintain that level of performance, was largely influential across the night- with his goal from outside 50 a massive momentum shifter against the tide. 24 touches (inc. 21 kicks), 8 marks, 3 R50’s and 5 bounces (a game high)- was influential in starting many attacking rebounds. Must continue in this vein, as he is critical to our ability to transition the ball from R50 to F50, with his long and accurate kick.

Brad Ebert- Sensational game tonight from Brad in his 150th. Constantly lauded for his elite workrate, last night was no exception. His 22 possessions (at a team high 86% DE), 5 tackles and 3 goals was another well rounded performance. Not only has he started this season averaging 28 touches and a goal a game (2nd only to Gray for total disposals this year), he is hitting the scoreboard, providing another avenue which the good sides seem to have multiple of.

Jasper Pittard- Simply couldn’t understand the fans wanting Pittard dropped after Round 1, and Power fans need only look to last night to understand why Ken rates him so highly. Simply dynamite offensively, and when he did make a mistake, he was able to fix it with outstanding workrate and 2nd efforts. 23 touches, 6 marks and 7 1% acts, and a ripping goal. Seriously Power fans- get off this blokes back! One of few willing to tuck the footy under the arm and take the contest on, he will make mistakes- but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Paddy Ryder- This was the critical matchup that would decide the outcome for mine, and wow did Paddy bring it to the table! Goldstein has been the form ruckman of the competition over the opening 2 rounds, and Paddy’s aim was to nullify his influence at centre bounces and stoppages (aided by his midfield), and compete and beat him around the ground. 49 hitouts to 35 saw a ripping contest at stoppages, but it was his work around the ground that won it for mine. As mentioned, Goldstein did not take a mark all night, and whilst Paddy only finished with 3 himself, being able to force a contest that enabled our smalls to influence the contest and work the ball to open space proved catalyst in transition forward from 50/50 balls. Really brought Young, Gray and Boak into the game in that last half with some fantastic tapwork to advantage.

Jay Schulz- Got a couple of favourable calls in one on one battles with Thompson, but his workrate stood out for mine, and he finally brought his kicking boots with him! Finished with 16 touches, 4 marks and 4 goals- but how is this stat: 6 tackles in the last quarter! Port playing a 5 man forward line played into his hands from the opening bounce, to which it gave him plenty of space to lead into. Terrific return to form- now he needs to back it up.

The Rest:

Hamish Hartlett- Probably unlucky not to make my top 5, but crikey Hammer was important. Got his hands to the footy, and his customary long kick was back in action, delivering a team high 28 possessions and 8 I50’s. For me though his game was exemplified by his work in close- the lovely little gives to release runners, the blocks. Can I have a top 6? Brilliant stuff.

Travis Boak- Ryan Bastinac did a number on him early, but found his way into the contest after half time, only to explode in the last quarter- a true captains performance when the team needed him most. 24 touches and 6 clearances rounds out a night where he and his team gained valuable confidence- hopefully a kick start to his, and the teams seasons.

Robbie Gray- Much the same as Boak, an unassuming first half before he went bang with the final quarter. He and Boak winning clearance after clearance was where the game was won. 23 touches, 9 clearances and 5 I50’s. Big games call for big names to will teams over the line- Gray was instrumental tonight, without being outstanding. Still a little away from his best.

Jared Polec- Bit of a nothing game from Jared. 19 touches and 3 I50’s, just wasn’t given the space to influence the game.

Chad Wingard- Had his moments, finishing with 19 touches, 3 tackles and a goal. Had a very good first term which included a goal and a great chase down tackle- after that, whilst his numbers mightn’t show, I thought he had an impact on the contest- always dangerous around the contest and providing pressure on the ball carrier.

Aaron Young- Thought it was a really good game from Youngy. Provided a hard body around the contest that we have lacked over the first 2 rounds, and was serviceable offensively aswell, finishing with a late goal putting the Power in front. Realistically shouldn’t play SANFL for the rest of the season. Finished with 18 touches, 8 clearances, and 7 tackles- a catalyst for our improvement inside.

Alipate Carlisle- That bump on Wright was huge! Aside from that I thought his game on Petrie was very good. Petrie had an influence on the contest, but as aforementioned- he was only able to take 1 of his 8 marks I50’s, critical to the outcome as North went in with a 3 tall forward line, aimed at stretching us deep when Westhoff relieved in the ruck. His 18 touches also included 2 I50’s, which is great to see Bobby working hard up the ground and delivering to our forwards.

Nathan Krakouer- Was pretty pleased with his return game. People will sit back and take pot shots at Krak, but what a remarkable turnaround from a lad that decided at 105kgs that he wanted another “krak” at the big time. A massive amount of work went into getting himself to Etihad Stadium, and whilst he made a few skill blunders, he didn’t look out of place. 17 touches, 5 R50’s and 3 I50’s- a great story!

Angus Monfries- In answer to the question “do Port fans rate Monfries?”, well yes I do, when he plays like he did last night. Thought his defensive pressure was first rate, and should have got more reward on the scoreboard, if not for that blunder in the square. 17 touches, 2 tackles, 2.3 and a goal assist- maintains that level and he is incredibly important to our forward setup.

Kane Mitchell- As mentioned, 16 touches is a modest night, but his defensive effort on Gibson in that 2nd half was fantastic. After he missed the game clincher against Essendon last year, it was fitting he was able to reverse the trend and kick the sealer. Will probably only ever be in that 22-26 bracket, but every squad has the player who’s endeavour cannot be questioned, and Kane certainly won’t be one to leave stones unturned.

Tom Jonas- Manned up on Thomas for most of the night and I thought he had his colours lowered. Thomas got a hold of Tommy a couple of times, and threatened to win the game for North with 2 in 2 minutes in the final term. 15 touches and 5 1%’s for Tommy, not often a small gets the better of him.

Ollie Wines- Was at his bullocking best until his wrist injury subbed him from the match. 15 touches, 3 clearances and a team high 9 tackles! Will be a big loss to our midfield.

Jackson Trengove- Taking a while to build into this season, and Ben Brown lead him a merry dance in the 2nd half. 14 touches and 5 1% efforts, one I hope who will burst into form for 2015 next week.

Justin Westhoff- As mentioned, a modest game from Westy. Gets a bit of ball behind centre, but really need to see some offensive influence. Come back Lobbes!

Matt White- This is the Matt White I know and love! Took the game on, ran hard into open space and battled courageously after he appeared to injure an ankle to continue to exert influence on the contest. 9 touches, 4 I50’s and 3 goals- cracking impact game, exactly what we need from a small forward.

Jack Hombsch- Thought he was brilliant on Waite. Didn’t win a heap of ball, but didn’t need to. Waite kept to 10 touches and 0.1, whilst Hombsch collected 7 and 4 marks, as well as 6 1% acts. Brilliant game.

Brandon Ah Chee- As influential a 20 minutes of footy as you are likely to see on debut. Came on when the game was in the balance and laid 3 crucial tackles, and 3 touches including a handball to Young for the match turning goal. Will only become a better player for the experience.

Onto the toughest matchup of the competition, Hawthorn. Cornes will come back into the side, most likely at the expense of Ah Chee, and Moore my tip to replace Wines. I hope to dear god Lobbe can get up for this one, as if Hawthorn lack anything, its height in their back 6. Our skills were sharper moving forward this week, but Hawthorn bring new meaning to the phrase “disposal efficiency”. With Hodge collecting a lazy 44 today, and Lewis and Smith collecting 39 and 36 respectively, our mids are going to have their work cut out, not to mention the ever difficult matchup for Roughead. 1-2 brings about no rest- the season only gets tougher!

See you at the footy- Carn the Pear!!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Say what you like about the media exposure that Ken Hinkey has given the Port Adelaide Football Club, but this is as raw and as exciting as it gets. A young fella who has toiled long and hard for 4 years on our list, for mine- fighting tooth and nail this year just to keep his spot. Dropped from the magpies league side 12 months ago- Brandon Ah Chee pulls on the Power strip for the first time this Saturday night- a magnificent effort for a lad who has worked super hard for his chance,and adds his name to our clubs illustrious history. I would give absolutely anything to be having this chat with Ken, absolutely brilliant footage!

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-04-16/ptv-ah-chee-gets-the-good-news
by valleys07
Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

New Zealand severs diplomatic relations in response to St Kilda v Carlton

The New Zealand government has announced it will sever all diplomatic relations with Australia in response to this weekend’s St Kilda v Carlton AFL match.
“Why is Australia doing this to us?” asked New Zealand Prime Minister John Key.
“What have we ever done to them? Except for giving them Russell Crowe and at least he wins things.”
New Zealand High Commissioner to Australia, His Excellency Mr Chris Seed said ‘friends don’t send friends St Kilda and Carlton’.
“I know only expats will probably go to the game but it’s the principle that counts.”
“Kids could see it and then what? The New Zealand tax payer foots the bill for years of counselling.
“I mean they could have at least sent us North Melbourne if they didn’t want to send any stars over.”
Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said while she was disappointed that New Zealand would sever relations, she did understand it.
“To send St Kilda there year-after-year is one thing but to then add Carlton? It’s just cruel.”
St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis said he was disappointed with the New Zealand government’s response.
“Don’t they know our strategic plan calls for us to have 10,000 members over there?”
“It’s an exciting opportunity for New Zealanders to see stars like Sam Fisher, Cameron Shenton and Tim Membrey in the flesh.”
Carlton refused to comment directly on the decision but said it hoped it meant Mark Stevens would be denied entry.
by valleys07
Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 4 Review vs. Hawthorn- A Tale of Two Halves.

PAFC 15.9.99
HFC 13.13.91

Goals- Schulz 5, Ryder, Polec, Westhoff 2, Wingard, Young, Hartlett, Mitchell 1.

Teamwork, Mateship, Courage, Sacrifice. It’s the symbolism of everything that the ANZAC’s have stood for, for 100 years. Since 2008, when the Hawthorn football club undertook the treacherous Kokoda Track- it’s everything their playing group have stood for, barnstorming their way to 3 of the last 7 flags as a result. It was every characteristic Port Adelaide would need to put on the park on Saturday night and then some, to overcome this mighty football club- our task dealt a significant blow with the loss of Wines against North Melbourne, and then doubled with the late omission of Robbie Gray.

What transpired was an ANZAC clash that was one for the ages. A tale of 2 halves where the reigning champs were stunned, brutalised by an onslaught rarely witnessed in my time as a Port Adelaide supporter. Unfortunately- you simply cannot keep a champion team out of the contest, and you knew Hawthorn were always going to come back. That last 30 minutes of football was classic, a team able to will themselves back from the impossible, against a side exhibiting all the ANZAC traits just to hold on- clearly exhausted from the frenetic first half tempo.

That first quarter (well that first half, really), but THAT first quarter! I have said many times after the Elimination Final of 2014 that there is no way Port Adelaide could play a better quarter of footy- well last night we saw it. In 17 minutes Port had kicked 7 goals, 35 seconds quicker than the Elimination Final onslaught of 2014, and the first term saw Port accumulate 16 I50’s and kick 8.2, Hawthorn managed 13 I50’s and managed 1.2. Our stoppage work and clearance work was exceptional, both tap work and clearance. Our backline bold, brave and swift, and the forward line simply sublime! Port matching their record 1st quarter score against the Hawks of 8.2. The 2nd quarter was much of the same, Port piling on the goals to extend their lead out to 58 points. Polec instrumental as that link up midfielder, Ryder/Lobbe causing the Hawthorn back 6, as well as their midfield coaching group multiple headaches, with Boak, Wingard, Hartlett, Pittard and Krakouer winning plenty of the footy. Schulz on fire with 3 first half goals.

Then the tide turned. Hinkley mentioned post game that it is nearly impossible to sustain that level of intensity for four quarters, and it was evident for all and sundry that Port began to gas as the Hawks began their move. Our structures which had murdered Hawthorn through the midfield began to break down and it allowed the likes of Gibson, Smith, Hodge and Lewis to work their way into the contest and supply their forwards who had been starved of open space- Gunston and Rioli becoming dangerous. Still, 41 points up at 3 quarter time…the impossible couldn’t happen, right?
That last quarter was sphincter tightening stuff for Power fans. 30 minutes of footy that I just couldn’t bear to watch (proof was on the telly haha!). Hawthorn’s wall around a 60 meter arc from goal was impenetrable, and 5.4 to 0.1 with a final term I50 count of 28-5- I sit here in retrospect, unable to criticise my team. We were out of legs and managed to hold off the reigning premiers who were storming home like a steam train. Although I was pretty unhappy at the time, that result is massive!

Things that went right:
• The Lobbe/Ryder partnership. I have been salivating all summer at the thought of what this could offer our line-up. Whilst Power fans had to wait a little longer than hoped to see the partnership take the field- neither disappointed! Whilst we lost the hitout count 54-39, it was their work around the ground that was exceptional, and where McEvoy and Ceglar were put to the sword. Ryder was immediately sent forward to create havoc once Lake went down, and was in the play immediately with 2 strong marks, 1 goal and 1 GA. His presence was enough to bring Westhoff into the contest, and Schulz was back to his best with 1 defender to operate against. Lobbe is just epic around the contest, and virtually acts as a 4th midfielder. 21 hitouts and 8 tackles(!)- welcome to the new age Port Adelaide!
• Jay Schulz. I’ll stick with the impact of the aforementioned duo, as the impact on Schulz is there for all to see. Lake going down early certainly helped, but Schulz certainly benefits when having 1 defender to beat, not to mention supply like he had in the first quarter. 9 goals in 2 weeks- seems to have his radar back, which is extremely pleasing.
• No Wines, No Gray, No Worries. Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard, Young and Polec had massive jobs to ensure their absence at stoppages were barely felt- and to break even at centre clearance (15-13) and around the ground stoppage counts (31-27), was a huge effort, winning tackles 69-54 the highlight.

Things that went wrong:
• Our 2nd half. I would love the numbers on our differentials for the following stats so far this season in the 2nd half: clearances, I50’s, tackles and scoring shots. We have built ourselves on being a fast finishing, 4 quarter gut running side but at the moment I just don’t see it. Whilst we did work ourselves to complete exhaustion courtesy of that first half- we need to find an equilibrium where we can make the most of our periods of dominance, whilst limiting the scoreboard damage. Having the first but not the 2nd just won’t cut the mustard come September.
• The Clarko punch. Fair go- the “Port fan” is an absolute imbecile, but Clarko has to rise above that petty sh*t. Poor form from both parties and soured a pretty good night.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:
Travis Boak- Loves the big stage, and with Wines and Gray out of the side- we needed a huge game from our skipper to be any hope. 30 touches, 8 clearances, 4 R50’s, 5I50’s and the Peter Badcoe Medal (2nd time he has won it I believe). The last term of last week needed to be the kickstarter to Boak’s season, and he was everywhere last night. A true captains performance.

Alipate Carlisle- Jarryd Roughead is a gun, and he has torn Port Adelaide a new ring multiple times over his career. I still have nightmares about his preliminary final effort last year, and Bobby’s effort on him last night was absolutely first rate. Shifted into the midfield to have some influence on the contest, for Bob to keep Roughy to 0.1 was an absolutely outstanding performance. Would not argue with many people’s call of BOG.

Hamish Hartlett- This bloke has had a massive fortnight, and is so influential to our side. 22 touches, 5 marks, 3 CL, 3 R50’s, 4 I50’s and a game high 9 tackles. It’s his work in close last night that gets him in my top 5- another that had to go over and above to compensate our losses and was brilliant in doing so. His skills were a joy to watch in that first half- that goal from the boundary would have blown the roof from AO if there was one (insert the AA Demetriou clip- “there will be no roof”).

Patrick Ryder- As mentioned earlier- we got our first glimpse of the new duo in action, and Ryder was just outstanding. Whilst not massive H/O numbers (21), he always seemed to find a black jumper when at stoppages. Took some great grabs up forward, bagged a few sausage rolls and left me so excited with what the season holds with these 2 in the side. 12 touches, 5 marks, 3 R50’s, 2 GA’s and 2 goals. Great all round game.

Jay Schulz- Back to his best now, and 5 goals was a great reward for effort. Works so hard to give us an option, but it’s really pleasing to see him finish off his work unlike the Sydney game. 5 goals from 6 kicks and 2 marks- not huge numbers but a massive influence on the contest, given it wasn’t a huge night for key forwards.

The Rest:
Brad Ebert- Port Adelaide’s leading disposal winner this season, had another typical reliable performance that we have come to expect of him this season. 25 touches, 5 clearances and 3 tackles. Wasn’t influential on the contest- just played his role in an outstanding midfield performance.

Aaron Young- Has really rubber stamped himself in this side, and there is no way he will play SANFL now. 25 touches, 5 clearances, 3 R50’s, 2 I50s and a goal. Was a little untidy with the footy, but he is so strong over the footy, and his ability to withstand the tackle and release to our outside run has been very impressive over the last 2 weeks.

Jasper Pittard- Has started this season exceptionally, and was brilliant both offensively and defensively last night. His decision making has improved out of sight, and defensively on Rioli was very good, until weight of I50s began to take it’s toll and Rioli got off the chain a little. 23 touches and 5 R50’s last night. An integral part of our back 6.

Chad Wingard- Spent a fair chunk of last night’s game in the midfield, and is simply a wizard around the stoppage. 21 touches, 6 clearances, 7 I50’s and a goal- it’s great to see him working into a bit of form, his ball use a delight to watch. Did pick up a corky after half time (which admittedly I missed)- hopefully he pulls up fine for the showdown.

Nathan Krakouer- Thought his first half was very good, but dropped away a fair bit in the 2nd half, making a few basic skill errors. Matched up on Puopolo in the first half before Puopolo went off injured- I thought it was an entertaining contest. Finished the night with 18 touches, 5 R50’s, 4 I50’s, but his D/E of 61% needs tidying up.

Matthew Broadbent- A fair drop on last weeks performance, seemed to find it tough to work up the ground and influence the contest inside 50. The pleasing thing about Port Adelaide’s defensive unit is that all of Pittard, Broadbent and Krakouer can’t be curtailed- so one or two are always bound to get off the leash. Still- 17 touches and 3 R50’s is far from a poor performance.

Jared Polec- Had an outstanding first half before being clamped down when Hawthorn got going. Was on the end of everything in that first half- including 2 goals. Finishing with 16 touches, 4 R50’s and 6 tackles- more of that plus what was showed against Fremantle thanks, Jared!

Kane Mitchell- His missed goal in the 3rd, followed up with a great tackle setting up the Schulz goal(?) summed up his night. 15 touches, 6 tackles, 2 I50’s and a goal- a serviceable performance. Offered us a lot around the contested footy I thought.

Jack Hombsch- Was a terrific battle with Gunston. Gave him an absolute bath in the first half before Gunston responded with 3 2nd half goals. Finished with 13 touches, 3 marks, 9 1% acts- was very good coming across as the spoil/intercept mark.

Justin Westhoff- The old Westy began to appear last night, I thought his last quarter dropping back and taking some pressure marks were critical given the amount of ball that was headed his way in the last term. 12 touches, 7 marks, 6 R50’s, 6 1% acts and 2 goals- a much better performance.

Kane Cornes- Had a hold of Boaky and Gus’ arse in the pre-game formailites, and wore Mitchell just as close for the first 3 quarters, before Mitchell really influenced the contest in the last. Mitchell finished with 18 with Cornes getting 12 himself, but Mitchell had 4 touches to half time! Still has a very important role in this side- Odds on to get the job on Sloane next week.

Matt White- Didn’t have the same impact as last week as far as scoreboard output is concerned, but I really enjoyed his workrate and endeavour. Just the 12 touches but managed 5 tackles and 4 I50’s, a gutsy performance.

Tom Jonas- Matched up on Breust for most of the evening- gave him a bath for the 1st half before Breust worked himself into the contest in the 2nd half. Another typical no-nonsense performance from Tommy- Should get Betts next week in the absence of Impey.

Angus Monfries- Limited output tonight, with just the 11 touches and 3 tackles.

Matthew Lobbe- Acts as a 4th midfielder in stoppage set-ups, his pressure simply outstanding last night. 17 H/O, 8 touches, 8 tackles and 4 1% acts- Just adds so much to the side as far as versatility and workrate is concerned. A lionhearted performance in his first game this year- I just can’t wait to watch what he and Paddy will produce throughout the year.

Brendon Ah Chee- Came on as the sub for the 2nd week running and did all he could in another pressure cooker scenario. 5 touches (4 contested) and a tackle. Will be better for the experience but expect him to make way for Gray.

Jackson Trengove- A bland stat sheet, but was rock solid defensively. 4 touches and 9 1% acts.

If you asked me at the beginning of the season, what I would have accepted at the end of Round 5, my answer would have always been 3-2. Showdowns are always massive contests, and are as 50/50 as you are likely to get in any game throughout the season. Thankfully- whilst we haven’t started the season all that well, we are still well in touch with the top sides, with points being taken from one another right across the board. Gray will replace Ah Chee (if fit) for the showdown- which I foresee being the only change for the Power. Expect a fired up Adelaide outfit after today’s embarrassment- put to the sword by the dogs in the contested stakes, underdone by losing the tackle count 71-52 and being outworked across the ground- something we haven’t seen of the crows so far this season.

This one previews to be an absolute ripper. See you at the footy!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BEST JOKES - Warning: Site Rules Still Apply

History of the Condom:

I've always been a student of history but I didn't know this.

In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
by valleys07
Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Not normally a fan of the Footy Show's comedic material- but that stitch up of Vince and Watts was brilliant!
by valleys07
Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 5 Review vs. Adelaide- We’re the Alberton Crowd- Port Adelaide Proud!

PAFC 18.7.115
AFC 13.13.91

Goals:
Port Adelaide- Schulz 5, Ryder 3, Mitchell, Wingard, Hartlett, Westhoff 2, Boak, Gray 1.
Adelaide- Betts 5, Lynch, Jenkins, Thompson, Walker 2.

There are rivalries in every sport. Whilst it’s another game along the journey towards the main goal- these ones are marked in the calendar by every fan as “the must win”. The office bragging rights, the banter amongst your mates- there is so much more riding on these contests than just 4 points. There was a massive build up to this week’s game, and boy did it deliver in spades! Adelaide entered this game, coming off of a shock loss to the Bulldogs where they were belted in every key stat which had seen them exude such dominance over the first 3 rounds. They were primed for redemption, and what better game to do it than a Showdown, right?. Port Adelaide, contrary to their cross town rival had an average start against 2 of the competition heavyweights. Many footy fans had the Power earmarked 0-4 heading into this match, and the pre-season premiership fancies almost done before the season had even began. Well- 2 inspiring wins have changed all that, which leads both teams to today..

5 sides were sitting on 3-2 before this game started. Adelaide had a big opportunity to set the tone for their season and perk themselves a game clear in the top 4, whilst Port Adelaide on the other hand needed the win, importance on maintaining touch with the top 4 critical headed into their upcoming 7 week block.

There were many a salivating match-up’s and tactical mind games in the lead-up. How were Adelaide going to handle the 3 talls? How were Port Adelaide going to handle the crows ferocious tackling pressure and attack on the man? Have Port Adelaide finally found the ruck combination capable of matching it with Jacobs? Cornes vs. Sloane, Jonas vs. Betts, Cheney vs. Schulz, Carlisle vs. Walker, Dangerfield and Thompson vs. Boak and Gray- just a cracking game on paper!!

Quarter 1: A super start by Adelaide, in particular Dangerfield and Betts. Their tackling pressure had me worried about what the day would entail, but that was as good as it got for Adelaide for the rest of the quarter. Port Adelaide began to exert dominance on the inside and began to cut Adelaide to pieces on the outside. Ebert and Gray were running amok in the middle of the ground (Gray with 4 clearances for the term and 7 touches- 4 contested), and Schulz (2 goals) was finishing off the work from upfield, exploiting the Cheney matchup for workrate and height. 5 unanswered goals, with Carlisle giving Walker none of it the other way (3 touches and no score involvements), had Port well placed- leading by 16 at Quarter Time.

Quarter 2: I won’t single out Hinkley here, as I’m sure all coaches talk about it- but when your team has a sustained moment of dominance, you have to make the opposition pay. Adelaide demolished Port all over the ground in the 2nd quarter for virtually the entire 30 minutes, in every key statistical category- yet could only muster 2.5 to Port’s 3.0- which would have left crows fans bewildered! Betts was all over Jonas (4 I50 marks and 3 goals), Adelaide entered the F50 23 times to Port Adelaide’s 6 for the term (Dangerfield massive with 6 for the half to compliment his 17 disposals), and Adelaide managed 12 clearances to 5- it was utter carnage. However; one has to acknowledge Port Adelaide’s defence. Similar to last week vs. Hawthorn, it was our ability not to wilt under extreme pressure that was most impressive as a fan. I thought we were brilliant at blocking the hole, forcing the likes of Smith and Jaensch as examples, into low percentage shots at goal from outside 50. When we did manage to break Adelaide’s shackles- we made them pay, a signature of a good football side. Schulz with another 2 I50 marks and 3 goals for the half continuing to cause headaches, as well as Ryder and Lobbe well on top of Jacobs and Jenkins in the ruck. Ebert massive with 23 touches up to half time!

Quarter 3: The move was made- Pittard onto Betts, but it was going to take much more than that to quell the dynamic small forward- tightening up through the midfield defensively would be the critical point. Betts was again brilliant to start the term- 2 goals (his 4th I believe was when the Pittard move was made), and Dangerfield continued to get hands on the footy in the middle of the ground- another 7 touches (4 contested) and 3 clearances for the term. The 3rd quarter however was when Port fans saw the value in the Ryder/Lobbe combo, despite hit-out’s dominant in favour of Port up to that point. Enter Paddy- Schulz was making the most of his opportunities forward and Westhoff was making an impact at both ends, but it was Paddy who changed the dynamic of the game when shifted forward, his 2 goals keeping a resurgent Adelaide at arms-length. The midfield battle for the 3rd term was a classic. On one side you watched the master class of Gray (10 touches for the term- 8 contested, 4 clearances), Boak (9 touches- 3 contested), and on the other, Dangerfield (7 touches for the term- 4 contested and 4 clearances). It set up for a classic final term.

Quarter 4: Enter the unlikely heroes. Kane Mitchell after a strong performance defensively, bobbed up for 2 opportunist goals, only for Scotty Thompson to respond by kicking 2 ripping snaps to keep the crows within reach. Enter the big guns. Ryder, Schulz, Wingard- all with goals to snuff the game beyond doubt. Gray immense in the last quarter with 8 touches (4 contested) and 2 clearances on his way to the showdown medal.

Port Adelaide:

Things that went right:
• The 3 tall forward line. Tipped to be the defining factor all week proved correct, as Schulz, Westhoff and Ryder contributed 10 of Port’s 18 goals and 8 marks inside 50. It certainly left me wondering whether Hartigan would have offered the extra height that Adelaide were crying out for, as Schulz’s work rate was too much for Cheney to deal with- constantly getting into better position and find space doubling back. Westhoff had a serviceable night on the stats sheet, and Adelaide simply had no answer for Ryder when he was swung forward.
• Our Back 6: For the 2nd week in a row, we have been pummelled in the I50 count, and for the 2nd week we have come away with the win. Our ability to fill the hole, forcing the opposition into low percentage shots, or shots wide of the corridor, is magnificent. Pittard has elevated himself into a reliable rebound defender, and Bobby Carlisle is in some sort of form at the moment- Roughead and Walker a shadow of their known selves.

Things that went wrong:
• Tommy Jonas. I hate singling out players individually, but Eddie Betts got a hold of Tommy to an extent of which I have never seen. Eddie out-positioned, out-bodied (shouldn’t happen given the size difference) and outworked Tommy, especially dangerous once the ball hit the deck. Worked hard once shifted off of Betts, but given Eddie has now kicked 13 goals in the past 3 showdowns- it’s an area of concern from a match-up perspective heading into future contests. I am waiting for Eddie to rip one open one day, on the way to a showdown medal.
• The I50 count. Our defence stood up manfully, but the fact is we cannot survive if we keep serving up differentials of the past 2 weeks. Considering in 2014 we averaged approx. 43-44 entries per game against, seeing 79 and 71 entries over the last 2 weeks is of huge concern.

Adelaide:

Things that went right:
• Midfield was back to its best. Despite getting smashed in the hitout’s- Dangerfield, Thompson, Ellis-Yolmen were fierce in close, winning Walsh’s ground ball stat 106-88, as well as clearances, contested possession and tackles. I said to a crow mate on Friday that I’d be stunned if the side that won this game were to lose the contested possession and tackle count. Can’t believe it happened!
• Eddie Betts- See above

Things that went wrong:
• Jacobs and Jenkins. Forget Jenkins, but it’s rare to see Jacobs so well beaten in any contest, let alone a showdown. Monstered in the hitouts (69-38), it was score involvement where this dual was won and lost. As mentioned- Ryder had 7 score involvements from his 10 touches, where Jacobs and Jenkins combined for just 14 touches and 2 goals.
• Bad kicking is bad football. For a side to have 23 I50’s to 6 in a quarter and get outscored, is absolutely atrocious, and where the game was won and lost.

Adelaide:

Top 5 (there won’t be a complete squad review- sorry crowies!):

Eddie Betts- The clear match up that worked in Adelaide’s favour for most of the evening- Eddie as it stands is the most dangerous small forward in the game alongside Breust. 17 touches, 5 marks I50 and 5 goals, there was nothing that Jonas could do to stop him, although Pittard was brilliant on him in the last term. I didn’t think the idea to isolate him in the forward 50 worked, as Betts feeds brilliantly off of Walker, and the misjudgement that is created when Walker is double teamed. AA form at the moment.

Patrick Dangerfield- The knockers will come out re. disposal efficiency, but the Crows certainly responded as a midfield group this week. I was expecting a tough contested battle from Adelaide, and they comprehensively beat us in this area for most of the evening, with this man the catalyst. 36 touches (21 contested), a game high 14 clearances, 7 tackles and 7 I50’s, there isn’t much more this man could have done to will Adelaide over the line.

Scott Thompson- Has had 2 really good games tonight- and hit the scoreboard, which isn’t something Scotty is renowned for. 27 touches (18 contested), 9 clearances, 6 tackles and 4 clearances. Keep that sort of form up and he will be hard to remove from the side. Will be interesting to see how Walsh manages him over the season, particularly when Brad Crouch becomes available for selection.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen- The surprise packet of the season for mine, and i’m really happy for Cam, given how hard he has had to work to make it at this level. 18 touches, 8 clearances, 10 tackles and 6 I50’s- a good size midfielder who is tough in the contest and quite hard to move off of the footy.

Rory Laird- Thought he defended really well tonight, and provided rebound the other way, finding lots of the footy. 26 touches, 3 R50’s and 1 I50. Was one of the few Crows good by hand and foot this evening.

Port Adelaide:

Top 5:

Jasper Pittard- Best on for mine, and has transformed himself from a bloke who made my eyes close with ball in hand, to the bloke who I love with ball in hand exiting the back 50. He does it all now- rebounds, intercept marks, 1 %ers, delivers the ball inside 50. 28 touches, 7 marks, 6 R50’s and 4 I50’s- in AA form.

Robbie Gray- This bloke gets me all sorts of excited watching him play- and tonight he was back to his mercurial, unimaginable, electrifying best. Just found space where there was none, seems to impact almost every stoppage, and finishes his work with an exemplary level of skill. 32 touches (20 contested), 11 clearances, 4 I50’s and a goal- deserving of the showdown medal.

Jay Schulz- Demolished Cheney tonight- no other way to describe it. In absolutely brilliant form at the minute, with 14 goals in 3 weeks to climb to 4th in the coleman medal. Out-positioned and out-worked Cheney to continually find space on the lead, and as usual was dead on target when shooting for goal. 9 marks (4 I50)- No secret he finds it a hell of a lot easier with Westhoff and Ryder floating around! Set for a massive 7 weeks too, looking at the fixture!

Brad Ebert- This bloke is on the verge of A grade in my eyes. Has improved his disposal efficiency in leaps and bounds, and with supreme workrate, is almost the complete player. 31 touches, 9 marks, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 3 I50’s- he dominates on the inside, is massive for us on the outside. What a magnificent start to the season.

Travis Boak- Leading possession getter for Port with 33, and was another typical captain’s performance from Travis. Continues to will himself to contest after contest, the only area he was probably beaten at was clearances. Still, 33 touches, 3 tackles, 6 I50’s and a goal, he is working himself into some great form!

The rest:

Kane Cornes- Did a number on Sloane tonight (granted Sloane did go off injured late in the 3rd). Doesn’t appear to be involved in the play, and then you check his numbers and see another 20+ game, his opponent restricted to sub 20, and continues to involve himself in the contested aspect of the game (7 tackles). Just another typical performance from this champion!

Chad Wingard- Rises for showdowns, and created headaches again for Adelaide defenders. 21 touches, 4 clearances, 3 I50’s and 2 goals-plays his role in an impressive mosquito fleet without being match-winning, and I love it.

Kane Mitchell- I am loving what Mitchell is bringing to the side at the moment. A man who is taking his chances and turning them into gold, was brilliant offensively when the chances arose, and was brilliant defensively. 19 touches, 5 tackles, 6 I50’s and kicked 2 crucial goals. *Hearts*

Alipate Carlisle- Petrie, Roughead, Walker. No slouches when reviewing the top key forwards in the game, and Bobby has beaten them all. Has added a significant string to his bow in the form of defensive rebound, along with forcing Walker well up the ground tonight in search of a kick. 19 touches, 4 marks and 6 R50’s, with Walker kept to 2 marks I50 and 2 goals- outstanding.

Hamish Hartlett- In and out of the game tonight, but when it was his turn to go- he went with devastating effect. 18 touches, 7 marks, 3 R50’s, 4 I50’s and 2 ripping goals. Another one that I’m enjoying just playing his role without being outstanding- displaying our versatility across all lines.

Justin Westhoff-Have loved his last 2 weeks since Lobbe has been back into the side. Whether it be back or forward, he creates headaches and his impact is not just on the stat sheet, but on the result itself. Usually has Talia rotating between him and Schulz, but he got off of the leash, such is the rate he interchanges between defence, forward and midfield. 17 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals- the games best swingman.

Matthew Broadbent- Started on fire before being clamped down on after quarter time. Still finished with 17 touches and 4 R50’s- you can’t take all of Pittard, Brogs and Hombsch, which is the great thing about our back 6 at the moment.

Matt White- Was a man possessed tonight, tackled manically and was constantly able to find space, either as that lead-up, or over the back. 17 touches, 6 marks, 9 tackles and 3 I50’s-returning to his 2014 form.

Angus Monfries- Not a lot to say about Gus’ game tonight. 16 touches and 5 marks- just needs to hit the scoreboard. Neither here nor there.

Tom Jonas- Had his colours well and truly lowered by Betts tonight, before being shifted off of him in the 3rd quarter. 15 touches and 7 1% acts- has been down for a couple of weeks now. Hoping for a lift out of him next week.

Jack Hombsch- Brilliant when dropping back into space, particularly in that 2nd quarter when we were getting bombarded with Adelaide I50’s. 15 touches, 5 marks and 4 R50’s, just another workman-like performance.

Jackson Trengove- Had the upper hand on Jenkins for a majority of the evening. 14 touches and 5 marks, another who was crucial in filling the holes during that 2nd quarter onslaught.

Aaron Young- Numbers don’t reflect a great performance, but was very good in the contested stakes around stoppages. 13 touches (11 contested), however he didn’t register a tackle- an aspect of his game that he is renowned for.

Paddy Ryder- Sensational when shifted forward tonight. A couple of massive contested grabs and 3 goals- exactly what he was recruited for. 10 touches, 3 marks and 18 hitouts- loving what he is bringing to the side at present.

Nathan Krakouer-Matched up on Cameron for the evening, and “Jets” didn’t get anywhere near it. Finished with 10 touches and 3 marks, whilst keeping Cameron to 6. Should have gone to Betts I thought after half time.

Matthew Lobbe-Jacobs has given Lobbe some almighty touch-ups in previous encounters, so it was great to see Lobbes get one back! 7 touches and 38 hitouts- just needed him to clunk a couple around the ground!

Jared Polec- The sub tonight, getting involved in a few important contests. Finished with 6 touches and 2 tackles.

The Power are right back amongst the pack, and have a huge opportunity to set their season up before the bye round. West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Carlton round out the 7 week block before the bye. If we are to be considered a contender- we must be 9-3 at worst by the break.

As for Adelaide- well it’s not dire straits, but the Suns couldn’t come at a better time (or could it?). Walsh clearly has some deficiencies in his back 50 that need addressing, along with skill level efficiency. Lever for the 2nd week in a row has been high among the best in the SANFL- crows fans eagerly await his debut- how far away that is, is anyone’s guess.

3-2 for both our teams, shows one thing- we are in a better state than Queensland :lol:

See you at the footy!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon May 04, 2015 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well initially this was going to be in the shits thread - as at 8.10am this morning when I got to work, someone stole the last park in the main carpark at work from me and I had to park in Siberia.

Move ahead an hour and a half - someone up there was looking out for me this morning - a massive tree has just fallen on 3 cars - including the park that I didn't get! :shock:

Time for a lotto ticket. Bout time I had some luck me thinks...

I'm in exactly the same boat- cursing all the way to work at the traffic, and my inability to get a decent park. Park miles away and get into work, only to hear that!

Phew!
by valleys07
Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cheney is a known and proven SPUD . At least Hartigan has size and may well turn in to a good defender for years to come it's a bit of an unknown where as with Cheney we all know.

Cheney v Hardigan I know who I'd be playing.

How so?
They guy has only ever been used at Hawthorn when their key defenders are injured and he has to match up on the opposition best forward. He is not a key defender but a "3rd tall" type of player coming in 3rd up to spoil.
He is never going to beat the best talls one on one. Your critisim should go to Walsh for putting him in the role against Port.

Agree with MW.

I think if Adelaide get their key posts sorted in Talia and Hartigan/Lever, then there is no reason that Cheney couldn't be a part of Adelaide's best 22. I quite like him as that intercept defender, and he does have some rebound capability, as he isn't a bad user of the footy. If Cheney can improve the offensive side of his game (can defend very well when playing opponents of similar size).

This probably wouldn't be too bad a move as it would release Smith into the midfield as an elite user of the footy, an area where Adelaide went begging on Sunday.
by valleys07
Wed May 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 stuff

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I hope you're right Boney, I just need one of your margins to be 22 points different and I'll collect $33,000K from a $20 bet.

:shock:

To the gambling thread!!
by valleys07
Thu May 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2 x RAA Lounge tickets for the Port v Eagles game.

Perfect Mother's Day gift for mum, and my first corporate experience at the footy.

Winning!
by valleys07
Fri May 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

A former indoor cricket teammate and his partner losing their 5 month old through leukaemia, yesterday. The poor bugger was admitted to hospital on Wednesday last week.

Really hit home spending time with my family yesterday just how lucky the gift of parenthood is, and how quickly things can change.

RIP Hudson.
by valleys07
Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |