Search found 49 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

Brighton a few weeks ago. 3 kids in the mini's lost a boot in it. I was wondering why one of our kids was hopping around, he had lost a boot.
by Courtney Fish
Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

I saw one game in front of your tent Moe that did look a fair bit like rugby, good thing is it will only take a small adjustment/coaching and he will be a good umpire.

My lad loved the day, had high expectations as they had a good year, but got bundled out after 3 games. While disappointed it was actually good to have a chat with him about how sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and you have to take the good with the bad . Kids need to learn how to win and lose with pride and thats the problem I have with them taking away the competitive aspect of the day.
Excellent point Dutchy. Kids have to realize things are no always handed to them on a platter, and hard work is needed to succeed in everything.
Some parents need to realize the same thing, and winning a carnival is not the be all, and end all in life.
My players have lost every Sunday game this season, (even though we don't keep score), but they never stopped trying. We started the year with 27 players and ended with 33. No one gave up. No one left. I am proud of that.
by Moe
Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

Well done to Brighton Black on winning the u12 carnival today, again another great day out, well done OSBLFC, they do it well.

Proud of my kids who clawed their way back from 15 points down in the last half against Brighton to hit the front with 3 mins to go but couldn't hold on.

Not sure if you should be publicising this. We are not meant to be acknowledging achievements - it is for fun only with no winners or losers.

Please respect the poor children who were not in the winning team, we must care for their emotional wellbeing.

We also must not place any expectations on the winners, they may stop enjoying playing.
by Look Good In Leather
Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't feed the troll
by Esteban Vihaio
Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ok so seeing i have your attention and u are now showing some form of rational friendly response, what pros and cons would u provide to a proposal that the sfl move to a 10 team division & the remaining struggling bottom sides move to the saafls division 7

educate my ignorance rather than insult it and list to me the benefits and the disadvantages of such a move which at first seems radical, but if was to go ahead people would still wake up the next day and get on with their lives as if it was the new norm

can u tell me one point to why its outrageous but also give me one reason why it would be excellent
Can you provide an argument why the 5 southernmost struggling SAAFL clubs should not shift to an SFL div 2 rather than get lost in the unwieldy SAAFL?
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A grade coaching vacancies 2015

Tubby wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:I see Lonsdale have filled their position with Ross Brokensha, former journeyman and Morphettville Park coach from a number of years past

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and who's coaching the A grade?
by Animus
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

2016 will we see SFL and HFL merge into 3 divisions ?

Leadership needs to take place as doing nothing is easy to do !
"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"

WOW!! A Shoes boy into philosophy. Now I'm afraid of that!!!
by King
Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

2016 will we see SFL and HFL merge into 3 divisions ?

Leadership needs to take place as doing nothing is easy to do !
"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"

You and a number of others here are forever having a crack at the red coats and expressing your opinions in them being unable to run the competition competently. How about you and others who constantly criticise the maroon coats, put your money where your mouths are and nominate for a board position and further to that the chief role. It's a democracy and members of the current SFL board at least had the nuts to stand and try and do something for the league. Those who constantly snipe and grizzle that those efforts are not good enough need to man up and offer an alternative but sadly for some it's easier to point the finger than roll sleeves up and effect change.
by 1919
Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Morphettville Park Football Club News

The Plympton boys from the old days send to the Morhpy Park boys our condolences.Billy was a true club person thru & thru. RIP Billy.
Plympton Sports Club.
by blacknred
Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL starting women's league in 2017

Why not put more support behind the existing SAWFL comp that has been going for years and years with volunteers working their arses off before womens footy was popular. Now these clubs are going to take the greatest hit as the SANFL takes over.

They continually stuff everything right up....
by Dutchy
Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well here we go the almighty SANFL jumping on the bandwagon wanting to start a Women's comp ...... my question is where were the SANFL 25 yrs ago ..... yes some off the club had an affiliation with some SANFL clubs years ago ..... but gave little support to the teams ...... the club im involved with picked up and gave the then Sturt [SANFL] a place to play after being told they can't use the oval or facilities, .... At that time in 2005 there were only four teams ... where were you SANFL at that time ....... since them Morphettville Park Women's has grown from a struggling team to having two senior sides U/18's and U'15's all on the back off some great Female volunteers who have busted a gut for the love off the game and no financial reward, the last four years being rewarded winning the last 3 Div 1 Premierships, 2 U/18's flags, and U15's making the GF in there first year ...... My point is this is where Women's football should stay ..... At local grassroots clubs ...... The South Australian Women's Football League is doing a magnificent job working with Grassroot clubs to develop the game ...... so there is no need for the SANFL to interfere ..... Sort your own League comp out first before putting more financial burden on your own cash strapped clubs ........ and PLEASE don't come with the [ we will provide a pathway to the AFL] ..... The Women's League already do that and do it well ..... end off rant

I'm glad someone posted along these lines.
I vaguely remember a bit of media hoo-ha in the 90s about women's footy starting, aligned with SANFL clubs.
That interest withered on the vine. Clubs showed no interest beyond the naming.
Let's hope those involved do a better job of this this time around.
We all, outside of those involved in it, question the quality of play in women's game, but imagine how much better it would've been if those early steps had been supported as they are now. I think we'd be seeing a much different game and different opinions from blokes.
I think the reason it's being supported better now is that the AFL, like the church, does not guide society, but follows it. Our ideas about equality between the sexes are more entrenched now, whereas back in the 90's we were still dealing with establishing that culture. This is why the AFL is jumping on the bandwagon now, and the SANFL following it, because it's a much bigger bandwagon now. That won't stop them from spinning it so they appear almost as revolutionaries, the truth is though, that they are actually 20 years behind.
by therisingblues
Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The AFL girls will get paid more than most SANFL players for 7 games.
by goddy11
Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

Piss the crook Olsen off and bring in the chick from sturt. She has done an unbelievable job for them and would be a perfect fit for the top job
by o five
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAWFL - Dogs & Panthers shafted

This whole thing still makes no sense to me. There is already a WFL in SA at the moment, the SANFL should be integrating with that rather than starting another one from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
by stan
Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Still good to see SAAFL plebs underrating the SFL. Whilst it remains uneven and the lower end is not a high standard, it remains a pretty good competition.

Anyone not in D1 or D2 ought to be keeping their mouths shut.
by morell
Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't believe the SANFL are going ahead with this. When most of there clubs are going broke and struggling to find volunteers already. The current women's league may have a few issues but all in all the Comp is a good one and has fed its fair share of players into the AFL's first year. The local women's football clubs have battled along for years and I can't see why the AFL wouldn't just support them more rather than give money to the SANFL to create a Mickey Mouse comp with limited clubs and games. How much priority do you think they will get from those clubs. Try putting it in a list, Men's seniors, Senior colts, Reserves, junior colts, then maybe Womens? We have a dedicated women's league already. Don't you think the money would be better spent there. If the SANFL clubs (like Westies) want to be a part of it then jump on board.
by WHEELS&DEALS
Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is all well and good but I'll never understand why the SANFL has gone down this road when a womens football league was already operating in SA. Surely they could have endorsed it even "merged" with it lets say. I just dont think the numbers and depth is there for another competition at the moment.
Because Gillon told them to.
by Pseudo
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs struggling for numbers ...

Clubs struggling for numbers??? maybe that is a sign that there simply are not enough blokes playing the game any more due to outside inflences such as family balance, work pressures
by heater31
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 4 - 2017

On behalf of everyone at the Edwardstown FC a special thanks to the Morphy Park footy club for a very special day Saturday. A great game played in genuine spirit for the ultimate reward of a cup that is in honour of two greats from both clubs. We look forward to the return bout and hopeful of getting it back. It just makes you realise that it's more than just a game, it's about friendship and the reasons we play the great game.

With almost the entire Morphetville Park club in our bar after the game it tells me a lot about people who care. Pleasure to be involved.
by Yank Man
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

So this week is a huge occasion for us down at Mitchell Park. Club legend, local character, champion footballer, family man and all around great bloke, Nat McDonnell, is playing in his 300th game.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/Nat_2015_zpseppx0nrr.jpg

It’s funny whenever I say I am involved with Mitchell Park, almost every time they’ll know either Joe Leck or the McDonnell’s. Even recently against TTG their full forward asked me if the bloke at the other end was one of the “famous twins”. On a personal level I feel like I know Nat better than most, but when I think about it, I reckon just about everyone that has spent time with him would say that. Nat has that ability that so few have to be able to make you feel like his best mate – almost instantly.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/Nat_FootyTrip_zps3k54qwi8.jpg

There are so many Nat stories I could tell, some of them decidedly NSFW and would involve copious amounts of streaking, skulling, close escapes and hilarity. Some are too personal. The one I’ll put on safooty is one that no-one has heard as it’s specifically unique to me and my friendship with the freckled one…

I was in I think just about my first year of senior footy – at least the first year that I played regular A Grade. Having not grown up with football I didn’t really understand what some of the social graces and faux pas were – and still don’t. I was about 20, a Uni student, raised by a hippy single Mum, didn’t drink beer, very much molly coddled and protected from the realities of the world – summed up I was very much an outsider to the culture of a decidedly blue collar, Aussie ocker, confident, classically bogan Mitchell Park Football Club. Knowing that it was good for me to get out of my comfort zone I played and did my best anyway.

The Coach at the time decided to try and get us to bond together as a team after a couple of losses by getting everyone in a circle and taking turns to pick out their favourite player, go over to them, present them with their guernsey and explain why they chose them. Bit of positive reinforcement I suppose. Being introverted, new to the sport and a bit of a social pariah I instantly felt pretty shitty and figured this wasn’t going to go well for me. I still didn’t know that many people and certainly didn’t have that many friends yet.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/Maccas_zps69fazduy.jpg

A couple of people took their turns and it went as expected. Mates picked their other mates. Nat’s turn came around. He straight way made a bee-line for… me!

At the time Nat was the best player in the team. Recent Best and Fairest winner, funny, popular, life member, talented - pretty much a God in my eyes. He gave me my guernsey, said I always went in hard despite being skinny (ha!) and did my best for the team, scruffed my hair and walked back to his spot. To be clear, I was decidedly average as a footballer. Nat and I had a couple of conversations but nothing in depth - he really could’ve picked about 20 guys ahead of me but must of sensed my trepidation. At the time I felt like he had crowned me King of the World. That was 13 years ago.

http://www.mitchellparkfc.com/_/rsrc/1327061891752/file-cabinet/archive/nat-mcdonnell/07022009040.jpg

So this weekend for us is about thanking him and recognising everything he has done for Mitchell Park, and for me on a personal level for providing that little bit of acceptance that kept me around the place as the MPFC has been a huge part of my life.

Onya Grabba! Thank you! I know your family are incredibly proud of you. Beers are on us. Please don’t throw up in the cigarette bin.
by morell
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

100% true

Morphie Parks now second
Ep third

Gepps Cross given the win and jump to 5th with 14pts
This puts a fair dent in the rest of the comp fighting for 5th. Gepps kissed on the dick in the biggest way.
Seeming they lost by 3 points and Harder kicked a goal I'd say justice prevails.he shouldn't have been able to play regardless.
Who's to say his replacement wouldn't have kicked one, or three, or five?

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.
well put it this way Pag, Harder was available for one game to a club he's never played for.Someone made way for him to come in so that was probably the bloke who would've kicked 3 or 5 goals lol. They played with matches and got burnt.
To be quite honest I reckon our league shouldn't let anyone chasing money in country leagues have a permit full stop.
by TIRED TIGER
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem if Marion and OSB left, there would still be cellar dwellers. The recent history in the SFL doesn't bode well for cellar dwellers. They tend to get stuck down at the bottom and find it hard to recruit juniors or seniors, thus exacerbating the issue. Take the situation in the mini's where Reynella have five under 10 teams. OSB have one, Smackham have none.
by Esteban Vihaio
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!
by lion heart
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Medal Count D3 and below

Congratulations to all the winners

D3: Luke Walsh (Seaton Ramblers)
D4: Bradley Robertson (Kilburn) and Byron Murphy (Morphettville Park) 21 votes
D5: Dale Armstrong (Pooraka) 31 votes
D6: Luke Nicholls (West Croydon) 33 votes
D7: Matthew Rowson (St Pauls OS) 18 votes
D1R: Zachary Noonan (Rostrevor OC) 22 votes
D2R: Ryan Sampson (Henley) 17 votes
D3R: Jarryd Brown (Brighton Bombers) 15 votes
D4R: Tom Davey (Colonel Light Gardens) 23 votes
D5R: Mark Coppola (Woodville South) 16 votes
D6R: Rhett Glanville (Houghton Districts) 23 votes
D7R: Joel Clarke (Adelaide Lutheran) 25 votes
C1: Lachlan Roberts (Modbury) 20 votes
C2: Sam Meyers (PHOS Camden) 19 votes
C3: Bradley King (Brighton Bombers) 23 votes
C4: Benjamin Eisner (Modbury) 16 votes
C5: Samuel Haniford (Fitzroy) 30 votes
C6: Jamie Thomas (Modbury) 24 votes.
18R: Jed Spence (Payneham NU) 19 votes
18B: Bradley Warner (Brighton Bombers), Wilson Otto (Sacred Heart OC), James Uren (Edwardstown) and Matthew Wanganeen (Rosewater) 13 votes – The first ever 4 way tie for a medal in league history
18Y Martin Frederick (Portland) 20 votes
by Footy Chick
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see on Facebook that Chris Lipson has ordered the premiership shirts this weekend. I saw a preview of the design they look nice. Up the Havens.
by The Big Shrek
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Over achievers and under achievers 2017

Zartan wrote:Can this thread relate to players too?

Only if the poster at the time has consumed 12 cans! Lol
by carey
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats to Morphies on getting to the GF, any side who can win twice at Dwight Reserve in the same season well and truly deserves promotion.

Think Havens will be too good on the big deck at Alberton though.
by Pag
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Medal Count D3 and below

Fix the award to make it more credible, that'll raise the prestige, then people will want to go..
No they wont.

People don't make the effort to train these days
People don't make the effort to play games these days
People don't make the effort to get back to their own club awards each week
People don't make the effort to attend their club presentation evenings.

People are not going to make an effort to attend an awards ceremony hosted by the league.
by The Bedge
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Promotion and Relegation

The Bedge wrote:Both divisions look very average:
proposed divisions.JPG

St Pauls and Greenacres should swap

Grand Junction Road is acknowledged as the demarcation line on every Sat Nav

Here's a screenshot of mine
by Jimmy_041
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Coaching Appointments for 2018

Jack Horan to coach Morphies. Good get.
by Footy Chick
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Anyway, this recent conversation has hit on a theme and a post I’ve been thinking about for a while. It's a long one, but I don't care.

What happened to our culture of truly local, representative, grass roots, amateur football? I feel like its snuck up on us, this new toxicity of player payments, mass recruitment, coaching roundabouts and ruthless playing groups. When I first started playing I was in awe of Trevor Bennetts, Joe Leck, Bernie Kusterman, Phil Pike and Ian Colquhoun - all Mitchell Park legends who had been there for many years, including through the juniors. Seriously tough men, fiercely loyal types who other than earning a BoG would have never even dreamt of taking payment for playing. For them the Club was an entity to be respected, it came first and the privilege of playing senior football, even at a lower level, was seen as exactly that – a privilege. Wal and Joe in particular taught me a lot, and for that, a young introverted nerd more used to bricking threes and talking trash than shanking drop punts, their introduction to the inner sanctum of a football club shaped many of my ideals – inside of that world and out.

One would get the feeling the Club was an escape for those guys, a place to talk about tits and cars, to confess their woes and maybe even look for support, to relax and unwind with no social pressure or pretentiousness. The Front Bar at Mitchell Park certainly provided all of that, but even then, there was still a Club first attitude, they’d wash the dishes, help the canteen staff, fill water bottles, sell raffle tickets, help out with admin – whatever it was, they would always do whatever they could to help out the Football Club. As they knew that The Club provided them with so muc more. And that is precisely the right word. *Club*. To use an Americanism - a fraternity.

I fell in love with it. Mitchell Park soon turned into my happy place too. My Church. I would go there all the time, often by myself just to walk around and clear my head sometimes to celebrate or commiserate or simply to catch up. It was so incredibly important to me as a young fella to have a place to garner an instant feel of comradery and acceptance. In that regard it was so different to basketball and rugby, my childhood sports, where it was more like a high society bitch fest than sporting coterie. It didn’t matter if you were a bogan or a hipster – acceptance was for all, provided you put the Club first. Cross that Club, and sure enough street justice was known to have been handed out on occasion. In a really strange way it was like a fully legal, crime free (sort of) drug free (sort of) motor cycle gang.

Now? In its 50th Anniversary year, it is very close to death. Down from a full suite of junior teams to one and a half. From having powerful senior sides across 3 grades in the strong SAFA to lucky to be filling one in Division 7. Yeah, we’ve pulled some strings every now and then and won a flag or two along the way, but none of the above is true of the Club anymore. There are a few hanging on, but we all know of the likely impending doom that awaits.

I really like what Down the Hill wrote. It is rather sad how clubs are forced to survive these days when they were originally established to provide a recreational outlet with organised competition for their local communities. It’s a precise observation and one that rings painfully true. We’re structured from the bottom to the top that way. Despite the cries of the ignorant, there really isn’t much we can do. Smart people all sitting around the table all trying their hardest for hours on end – but constantly hitting road blocks. Be it business wise with limited options for revenue thanks to outdated management models, be it due the shifting populations and demands, be it the club reputation that despite all contrary evidence, still hangs like bad smell. We’re check mated.

Perhaps one of the most galling things, however, is this latest offseason where last year’s promising group of players, coaches and administrators have abandoned us like rats down a sewerage crusted outlet pipe. I recall the season Luke McDonnell wanted to try playing for Happy Valley. He was physically emotional and struggled to confront the playing group. We understood and wished him all the best. He returned two years later and won a GF. These days? One of our better players who smashed our highest paid player record last year by a long way – took us for every last cent and then still asked for more when the Club was on the skins of its arse. Another player, who I love dearly, left because he felt he deserved to be playing A’s but got dropped a couple of times - the Club owed him, apparently. A young star and Premiership player, son of a gun and much loved member of our club off to a nearby rival, I assume because it looked like it might be a struggle with us. Our coach who promised cultural change and 3 years of effort left half way through his contract for promises and thin air after realising that it wasn’t going to be easy and instant success might not be on the cards. Our President, who made awful decision after awful decision, also left, without so much as even having the guts to rock up to our AGM to hand over the keys. Countless more who for a bit more petrol money have decided to knife the institution that would provide them with much more valuable things than cash, should they merely give it the chance. Then we have clubs like Adelaide Lutheran, smelling a fresh carcass like a circling vulture, messaging players on Social Media from our list in an attempt to poach them.

Poisonous stuff, that’s for sure. As most on here would know I am hyper analytical. I have a yearning to understand why. Are we at fault? Sometimes, but I don’t think that’s the answer. To me we’re experiencing the consequences of a far more macro movement. One of individualism, narcissism and a generation of people that put image first. For a Club like ours that is about the group, humility and substance, this is decidedly out of step. Examples of this can be found all over the place – the best players in Sporting Pulse? Caused huge issues amongst our playing group. Complaints about not making it or being 4th instead of 2nd, absolutely ridiculous stuff, I tried to explain, but it was important to them. Payments? Heck, even average footballers deserve it as they are putting their body on the line, so the club ought to look after them. Forget earning it through awards. They were entitled to it for merely rocking up. Doing a chore for the club? No chance, they do enough of that at home, football is a place to escape nagging, god damnit! But easily the biggest indicator is what happens when it looks like we might not win much. It is unbelievable how quickly people pike out. The modern amateur footballer is a jellyfish, if it’s not going to be “fun” and by fun, of course we mean winning, then they want no part of it. Countless players have said exactly that. They haven’t left, per se, they just don’t want to play because it will be too hard.

So at 35 with dodgy knees, crippled hands and countless surgeries on other broken bones, I came to the realisation at full forward on Saturday that I’m now out of touch with the modern game. It’s no longer about the Club or the comradery, it’s about the person looking back from the mirror. I hope we hold on, but we’re on the precipice.

Are we good? Are we any bloody good? Well, we sure used to be.
by morell
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Great day down at the Den yesterday! A HUGE crowd witnessed a great game in the A grade, the Rams got the jump but the Lions pegged them back and came home strong for a big win! Pure elation after the game with some tears of joy from our long suffering players and supporters. Really hit home what we have been missing out on and the reason why we made the move to the AdFL!

Congrats to the Houghton reserves, they put on a clinic and had too much experience for our boys. Hopefully we can have a strong showing this week in the prelim and get another crack at them. It will be pretty special if we can get both sides through to the GF.
by lion heart
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAWFL 2018

With a heavy heart the Adelaide Football League and SANFL women's comp lost a true champion tonight following an incident from the div 2 women's Grand Final.
Unfortunately Maggie Varcoe has passed away after a head clash with a team mate from Sunday's game, my thoughts are with her family, friends, the AVFC, the AdFL and the whole football community.
A tragic situation which has absolutely shattered me personally.
Maggie was a courageous and skillful player well respected amongst her peers and opponents.

Vale Maggie Varcoe. :cry:
by Lightning McQueen
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

they sacked the wrong coach....

:axe: :axe: :axe:
by sweendog
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 3 - 2019

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t but I thought the pastie had a bit of character about it. A unique feature of the Morphettville Park Footy Club.
by LaughingKookaburra
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

So the results are In....
The SANFL JUNIORS dropped Flagstaff Hill and Athelstone
down from Div 3 to Div 4 in the U/14 grade.

Results

Flagstaff Hill def Morphettville Pk (4th) by ... 85 pts
Athelstone def Angle Vale (3rd) by 126 pts

Pencil in those two teams for the Grand Final

Well played SANFL JUNIORS

I really hope you are not involved with the kids with that attitude, we got smashed in Div 3 by 96, 46 & 49 points in 1st 3 rounds, so how do you expect us to not be considered to drop down a div?
If you consider 46 & 49 points smashings, then you haven't been involved in junior sport long enough. You conviniently leave out your 3 point loss, forget to mention you were still scoring ok enough as well.
Please tell me why every player is a permit player, allowing you to swap any player you want in and out of your teams from Saturday/Sunday sides at will. Obviously depends who you are playing in SFL on Saturday who comes out/in.

If, as your club says, you joined Sanfl junior's because you had 30 kids missing out on a game each week, you need to have a minimum of 7 players playing 2 games per weekend, and having under 15 players from your Saturday teams play again on Sunday. I thought you had plenty of kids spare.

You have made a mockery of the rules, and now a mockery of the division.
Lost a few games?
Boo hoo.

And I've been involved in junior sport for 25 years.
This is THE biggest joke I've ever been unfortunate enough to witness.
Seems as if Broken down old hack may have more idea than you thought.
Athelstone v Flagstaff Hill grand final.

Well done SANFL, well done.
by Moe
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

So what would have you done if you ran the league?

In our u16.5 comp Broadview came down from Div 1 and have been undefeated since and will make the GF. They beat us by 90 points but no complaints here as no system is going to be perfect and 95% of people Ive spoken with agree that they have a good balance to ensure competitive games.

Other side of the coin, our U/16 Girls played the first three rounds in the Division 2 competition for three wins, reasonably strong, one big one (Modbury, regraded to Div 3 and finished low), a 46 point win v Happy Valley (finished mid-table) & a 39 point win over Broadview (regraded to Div 3 and finished 3rd).
Based on these results, our team was considered too strong for Division 2 and regraded to Division 1. The team only won one more game for the rest of the year, against Plympton who finished 2nd bottom.

From what I have seen, modifying the competition like this is seriously damaging when fortunes are artificially changed. As the year wore on a number of the girls drifted away from the game sick of losing after starting the season with the promise of a competitive year. Had they started in the higher grade, I would suggest these girls would still be playing as it would have been the circumstance they started with, not being put in the situation where they appear to be a finals competitor and then having that taken from them mid-season. I am told that most of the girls have now given up football, or are looking to shift to teams in lesser competitions, so we are now scrambling to try to hold the group together for 2020.
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 4 - 2020

Sucked in Pembroke, out in straight sets.
by Bluedemon
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The late 90’s to the 2000’s the SFL was easily the best comp in SA outside of SAAFL D1. It’s been on the decline overall slowly since the first 3-4 years of the merging of 2 divisions - Even at the early stages it showed cracks after a year or 2 towards the bottom end. What reasons from there causing the overall decline is up for debate and each club will have their own take on it no doubt. From an outsider looking in, when multiple senior football clubs go on for more than a decade and at best are 10 goals off the teams playing in a prelim (let alone a GF) for at least a large majority of that time then at some stage blokes are going to lose interest. You need to dangle a carrot at some stage for a sustained period within reach. Arguing the point that clubs need to get better isn’t obviously helping the overall outcome.

Top end SFL sides are to this day still bloody good and well run football clubs, some clubs will find it hard to continually challenge them and that’s why the appeal of the SAAFL is lucrative to some clubs as finding your ground is easier and closer to being within reach. Some clubs still continue to fluctuate however. Also, for the average metropolitan family there are a lot more cases now where spending the entire day at the footy and then going to presos is not as appealing as it once was.
by LaughingKookaburra
Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great question as to where it went wrong.

I don't know if anyone really can answer that or if it has gone so wrong.
Has it changed that significantly apart from a loss of clubs.

As I mentioned previously we left (ROOS) not because of the league but because we could not fit the leagues model of Saturday juniors.

What does the past tell us about dominating periods
- 35 years ago Plympton dominated the league - new to league and amazingly strong (Potts Coaching)
- 20-30 years ago it was the Valley - south influence and strong juniors
- 15-20 years ago the Emus - result of massive junior program
- Noarlunga (excellent recruitment and talented pods of junior players), Reynella (strong juniors), Brighton (massive juniors) also had some periods
And now it is Flaggies

The domination by Flagstaff Hill was a long time coming given their amazing juniors of the last 20 years.

Is what we are seeing with clubs struggling a result of the following:
- lopsided juniors,
- aging demographic in the catchment of some clubs
- restrictions the points system imposes on clubs to recruit pivotal top up players.
- what else????

There is lots to consider.

I do however believe that the cycle will change and that the clubs will catch up with Flaggies and the league can prosper.

The SFL as a league is good but not great at the moment given the current issues.
Time to spend some time unpacking what the real issues are and once these are understood then you can develop informed strategies/solutions.

Still miss that amazing Saturday of 5 games.
by Surgeon
Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Longest Finals / Premiership Droughts

The Dark Knight wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Flinders Uni in D7 would be a safe bet id think.

Have the Crabs ever been above Div 7?

What do you expect? Crabs can't go forward or backwards, only sideways.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rumour mill.

Cove investigating moving to Adelaide Footy League
2022 any truth.

This is very real, wont be long and is will be the South of Sherriff's Rd League
So you guys off as well I take it?
Along with reynella and happy valley.
That represents the current top 3 in the A grade.

Surely any club in their right mind is looking to leave the ravaged SFL competition.
It’s going nowhere and has lost all integrity.
The SAAFL provides divisions for clubs to build success and maintain sustainability.
Clubs like Cove could be winning multiple premierships as early as it first enters.
Clubs like Reynella, Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley could be challenging Div 1 and 2 in a matter of a couple of seasons.

I’ll give you Flagstaff Hill but to say Reynella and especially Happy Valley could be challenging Div 1 and 2 within a couple of years is massively ambitious. Happy Valley would find it tough getting out of D4 let alone any higher. Playing competitive sides in your bracket each week is a lot different to playing a side at your ability every 2-3 weeks.
by LaughingKookaburra
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 4

MP 12.5.77
SMOSH 5.11.41

ROO BEAUTY
by Moe
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 4

The Bedge wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:whats everyones thoughts on who will take out div 4 this year? I've seen a few games this year and I reckon morphy park look the best team in the comp for me. & i reckon pembroke in the B grade

A - Morphy Pk
B - Walkies
C - SMOSH

One step closer…

Nailed it.
by The Bedge
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League - Division 4

I assume Hope Valley weighed up the pros and cons of the clash with the first ever Friday night Showdown.
by Down the Hill
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

I’m one of those people who think B and C Graders are the most important people at the club, they are the ones that play for the love of the game

Clubs exist to win A Grade premierships but clubs don’t exist without lower grades and that has never been more obvious than this off season
by Brodlach
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaza FC - APPS Breaches

Might also add that for an offence apparently so serious to warrant an extraordinary fine/huge suspensions that 4 APPS points seems a bit trifling? One player a year?

Yep 100%.

Real misalignment between the financial fine and the players fine.

Personally if the breaches were 'so serious' then imo a fair result would be the club can still operate but they would have next to no points (which can be tracked through APPS) and that we would see them drop through down through the grades.

At the moment its hard to see how they would open the doors with such a fine.

No one learns that way. Why would it be fair? how many clubs would have lost or been relegated because GAZA were not playing fair by being over the cap and rorting the system?

I would hazard a guess that GAZA have
- been over the cap by big $$ for more then before 2018
- it's endemic at the club with multiple parties involved.
- It's cultural at some clubs to do this kind of thing.

Id' go as far to even suspend the players that got extra payments from playing in any comp anywhere for a year, and ban then from being allowed to sign contracts for 5 years. You want to play? play for free champ.
by redyellow&blue
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

Footy clubs are so impatient.
by Dutchy
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

Dutchy wrote:Footy clubs are so impatient.

Generally driven by committees. You don't get glory/accolades/ego boosts for the long-term strategy you have in place. If you're not a winner you're the first loser. ;) :lol: :lol:
by whufc
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |