Search found 10 matches

Return

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Luke Thompson (formerly Adelaide Crows) and Fraser Thurlow (formerly Essendon rookie list) have officially signed with the Eagles.
by Hopeful Jelly
Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 6

Will the Power reserves create mystery injuries to their 2 worst AFL listed players so that Summerton fits into the team?

How would you rate your AFL career if you were one of those 2 and forced out so Summerton can play?

If you're 19 and were drafted 6 months ago you haven't had an AFL career.
That's right - on any AFL list there are probably a couple of players that aren't up to SANFL league standard when they are first drafted. I can recall Cam Ellis-Yolmen playing reserves for a long time for us whilst on the Crows list, and now he would be in their best 22 or pretty close to it. In most cases though, these players won't make it to the big time.

It does make a mockery of the finals rule which limits 17 AFL listed players - the intention of the rule was to "weaken" the team, but if you had this weekend's scenario in finals, I would say that if you took out the worst 5 from the 22 Power players available and added the best 4 top up players, it will be a stronger team.
by Hopeful Jelly
Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Off-Season

WTF did we trade for Sam Gibson? Maybe they thought they were already getting Gibbs Son (I'll see myself out...)
Is that "what" or "why" in WTF?

"What" - pick 91 (basically a pick that would have been passed on anyway, so essentially for free)
"Why" - did a trade rather than taking the risk of missing him in the pre-season draft. Best case is he plays a role in the midfield and plays most/all of the season. Worst case is he replaces Scott Thompson in the SANFL all season.

A "no risk" trade with potential for it being a master-stroke (keep in mind he has played something like 130 consecutive games with the Kangaroos and did only start his AFL career at 25, so may not be as beaten-up as most 31 year olds).

As for how it happened, in a cafe on Lygon Street:
Justin Reid to SOS: "Can we have a chat about a trade for Gibbs' son?"
SOS: "Yes, you'll need to give us 2 first round draft picks"
Kangaroos list manager at the next table overhears the conversation: "Hey Justin, I hear you want Gibson. We can get him to your club for next-to-nothing."
Justin Reid: "Let's get it done then."
by Hopeful Jelly
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Why not play those games in cairns and Darwin etc like they did with Bangladesh back in the day?

I’m sure somewhere like Canberra would love to host a test too.

Doesn’t have to be at Adelaide Oval.

I’m sure I read yesterday that Canberra have been given a test match next year.

Hobart missing out I believe but could be wrong.
Yes, next summer is a 4 test series against India in Perth (Optus Stadium), Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, followed by a 2 test series against Sri Lanka in Canberra and Brisbane.
by Hopeful Jelly
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

Cheating is deliberate. This was not deliberate.
Yes, most (if not all people) accept that it was not deliberate, but "cheating" does not have to be deliberate.

Think of a sportsperson accidentally taking a drug that is on the banned list - eg. Shane Warne with the diuretic, or the Essendon players (if they did actually take what the authorities thought they did), etc. They didn't act "deliberately" to gain an advantage, but it's still cheating.

Regarding Seb's comments, there were other players commenting about the 19th man, but the worst part of it (which was missed by some media outlets) was mentioning the 31-17 free kick count and suggesting that the umpiring was rigged.

A 3-match ban might be right if maybe a little harsh, but comparing that to NA's 2-match penalty and fine (that was recouped just by playing in the GF) for actually "cheating", it might be considered laughable by some.
by Hopeful Jelly
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

I've often wondered ... if the whole ball tampering ordeal never happened and Smith was still captain, who would be wicketkeeper?

Tim Paine fell into the job as captain just because he was in the team at the time when there was no other feasible option.

But with the whole swapping of wicketkeepers that was occurring in the couple of years prior (Nevill, Wade and Paine) where it seemed that batting form was a strong consideration on who the keeper was, I'd suggest that Wade would probably be the keeper today if Smith was still captain, and Paine wouldn't even be in the team.

And if it was Wade's turn on the wicketkeeper merry-go-round back in South Africa, chances are that he would be Australian captain today.
by Hopeful Jelly
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surely Wade gets a look in. Bats better than Marsh and Finch, bowls better as well.
You all know he should be our keeper and captain anyway

...You beat me to it :)
by Hopeful Jelly
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-sale Grand Final ticket problems.

I've had the same issue on both laptop and phone saying that my password is invalid.

I'm wondering if Ticketek/SANFL have stuffed up for those people that are entitled to the 2 free tickets for attending every home game - ie. they have a list of barcodes of North/WWT members entitled to the pre-sale and then a separate list of barcodes of those entitled to 2 free tickets from all clubs, but you can't get those until 3pm Monday so that barcode is only valid then and not during the pre-sale.

Silly thing is that anyone can get free kids tickets now in the pre-sale without needing a barcode.
by Hopeful Jelly
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

If the above is correct, YTF would you only test staff once per week?
Exactly - the source of the virus in Australia is from returning travellers, so you throw all the resources you can to stop it there.

If the AFL can pay for players and support staff to be tested twice a week, surely testing the medi-hotel staff twice a week is a small price to pay to prevent it going any further.
by Hopeful Jelly
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 North v Port Saturday 1330

Port may have been advised that the SANFL has no authority or the law is unconstitutional. The vibe.

I think the ruling was that they can't play after being an afl medical sub regardless of whether they made it onto the field or not, so in this case it was fine.
Almost ... the AFL medical sub can play in the SANFL on the same weekend if they have not been on the field. Port and Crows were unhappy with this rule as other competitions allow the sub to play regardless of whether they made it onto the field or not.

For example, if the sub plays for 10 minutes, they are not allowed to play SANFL on the same weekend, whereas in the VFL and WAFL they are allowed to play.

This rule didn't apply today though as the Magpies game was played before the Power. If we believe what was reported, Hamish Hartlett injured himself during the warm up so they had to pull Mayes out of the Magpies at half time. Just the same as someone in an SANFL league team injuring themselves during the warm up so a reserves player that's already played part of their game comes in.

Normally the AFL team would hold back an emergency in the case when the AFL game is after an SANFL game on a weekend. Today Port rolled the dice, knowing that if anything happened, they had players available that were less than 10 minutes away.
by Hopeful Jelly
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |