Search found 103 matches

Return

Re: State Team

I suspect it will be a year off for WA to play Victoria... that said this year was supposed to be our year off so who knows.

No rep game for NEAFL this year ... not sure they do them anymore .... really leaves Tassie and unfinished business from 1995.
by PhilH
Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Sturt v Norwood @ Unley Sunday

Crowd - 3,762 up against a live TV broadcast that is a great result.
by PhilH
Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Central v Adelaide @ Elizabeth

Wild Dog ... you answered your own question

" While the kids love it and there is an extra amount spent on the canteen"

In my role this is far more important than how any 3rd party wants to spin it.

The carnival Eagles ran this year involved U8 & U9 teams across 12 clubs

EVERY U8 & U9 junior club player in the North West from Lockleys, Flinders Park and Henley up to North Haven. from the coast across to South Road came to Woodville and hopefully had a great day. (Plus Hectorville).

It probably brings hundreds of families to the ground who otherwise have no Eagles connection.

Remember our "Carnival Day" is not just a series of footy games, there is a heap of other activities organised as well around the event.
by PhilH
Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Central v Adelaide @ Elizabeth

Wild Dog - A Crows game usually brings no SANFL reserves game as a curtain raiser, each club has developed it's own plan on how to fill that hole.

Eagles have run a carnival last 3 years, Glenelg ran a schools carnival last year, West tried this year but Easter Saturday wrong date to get teams along, Central have just had theirs and Norwood are planning one later in the season. That is 5/8.

John - Until Eagles brought in 4,672 to their carnival day last year I don't thing other clubs had given the concept much thought, it is a LOT of work and quite a logistical challenge to mix a carnival and SANFL league game together. Most weeks there is a reserves game to provide the curtain raiser, playing a carnival for say a North v South game means moving the reserves to another place / date / time.

What I like most about the concept is that if you do it right, you provide a wonderful SANFL experience for kids who play local footy in your area.

Hopefully all the kids who play school footy in the Bulldogs zone now have a great experience of a day at Elizabeth.
by PhilH
Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Broadcasting

Big Phil has for the time I have known him always been a passionate promoter of the SANFL competition.

He is responsible (and given this responsibility at VERY short notice) to put together and roster a team of commentators to fill the hole with RPH's departure.

Overall I think he has done a great job in getting a strong team together.

He is not responsible for the TV contract nor what games are televised.

Any SANFL club would be glad to have him as one of their members.
by PhilH
Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

Home Crowds 2016
(compared with same number of home games in 2015)
At at Monday July 11th 2016

Central 6 home games +2928
Eagles 7 home games +1300

South 7 home games - 102
West 7 home games -833
North 7 home games -1203
Sturt 6 home games -1424
Glenelg 7 home games -2183
Norwood 7 home games -3244
Port 6 home games -6511
by PhilH
Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Yeah 19000+ posts averaging over 6 per day, not much of a contribution that.

By my count Big Phil has been involved in the media for 8-9 seasons now so he has hardly left here as soon as paying gigs came up.

Given some of the crap he has had to put up here with over time, especially recently
I am surprised he posts here anymore at all.

Why does Big Phil have to be the one to start a live scores thread? Is no one else able?

Why is he the one who is supposed to care if no one else does?

Like me, on most game days, he has his hands full already.
by PhilH
Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Semi Related - another standalone VFL club on verge of leaving

They had 4 in 2016 - Frankston went broke, if North Ballarat leave that would mean just Port Melbourne & Williamstown left as non AFL aligned.

Board meeting to decide North Ballarat's VFL fate
Nick Bowen December 3, 2016 5:20 PM

Newsletter
RSS
VFL 2016 Rd 20 - North Ballarat v Essendon
Nick Rippon in action for North Ballarat
THE VFL competition could lose its second club in little more than two months, with North Ballarat set to decide whether it continues in the state league at a board meeting on Monday night.

North Ballarat's looming board vote follows Frankston's expulsion from the VFL in late September, when the state league's governing body, AFL Victoria, terminated the Dolphins' licence after they were placed under financial administration.

North Ballarat entered the 2016 season as a standalone club after ending an eight-season partial alignment with North Melbourne that yielded three consecutive VFL premierships from 2008-10.

The Roosters finished second last this year – ahead of only Frankston – after notching just three wins.

It is understood they are now considering focusing solely on the Ballarat Football League, where they field a team, North Ballarat City, amid concerns about the mounting costs of fielding a VFL team.

North Ballarat chairwoman Jenny Bromley did not return calls when contacted about Monday night's vote, but AFL Victoria released a brief statement to AFL.com.au.

"AFL Victoria has been informed about a board meeting at the North Ballarat Football Club on Monday night, and will await the result of that meeting before making any further comment," AFL Victoria said.

If the Roosters vote to leave the VFL, the competition will be reduced from 15 to 13 teams next season.

It would also mean Eureka Stadium would be left without a VFL tenant as it nears the end of a major redevelopment ahead of the venue's first scheduled AFL game, between the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide in round 22 next season.

The Victorian State Government contributed $15 million to the stadium's redevelopment.
by PhilH
Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Trial Games

Last season a team scored 100+, 48 times

Their record when doing so 47-1.

Port was only team to score 100 and lose last year (to Glenelg).
by PhilH
Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1 2017

FOOT-e TIMES SANFL Stats Report for RD 1
2017 Rd 1.pdf
by PhilH
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Luke Jarrad (Eagles) probably last to make 200, or Daniel Caire (West) ... both received SANFL playing Life Membership in off season,
by PhilH
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From the Pre-Season Stats Guide

If selected each game Steven Summerton will play his 200th game in Rd 5 (Sun May 7th) v Sturt at Alberton.
by PhilH
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

I am sure the organisers know the numbers, neither PhilA or myself are organisers just commentators.

If the organisers publicise at some point, I would be happy to share.

As a commentator the only numbers I am really focusing on are those on the scoreboard, stats sheet and players back.
by PhilH
Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL Round 4

4 games with Eagles & Sturt having a post ANZAC Day Bye

Fri - Norwood v South @ Coopers Stadium, Norwood (7.20pm start)

Sat - Adelaide v Port @ Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval, Woodville (TV Game, 1.10pm)

Sat - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol Stadium, Glenelg (2.20pm)

Sat - North v West @ Prospect Oval (2.20pm)

Weekly SANFL Stats Report

http://sanfl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-Rd-4b.pdf
by PhilH
Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 5

Saintal, the Eagles fixturing for 2017 was requested after I left.

On one hand - no Crows supporters would be expected playing at virtually same time (1 hour apart)
- many Eagles fans who are also Crows fans might choose to stay home watch Crows on TV, Eagles on Digital Pass.

On other hand - Eagles have on field bonus as Crows short one AFL listed player as travelling emergency (would be back for Sunday game)
- Better turn up post match bar & meals on Saturdays than Sundays

or no one noticed the clash until this week.

That said, I have come to an arrangement with the club to organise the annual carnival event for the Sun Aug 20 Eagles v Crows game,
Planning a BIG one. Stay tuned.
by PhilH
Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Today the SANFL Radio Commentary Teams

Central v Norwood - from 2pm Phil Aspinall & Doug Oakley

Eagles v Crows - from 2pm John Nankivell, Andrew Marks & Phil Herden

http://www.sanfl.com.au/radio [-o<
by PhilH
Sat May 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sturt have goaled

North take the lead at Noarlunga

18 mins 2nd quarter
North 4.3 (27)
South 4.1 (25) .... 2mins
by PhilH
Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

Interesting, the problem is there are at least 5 different start dates.

1877 - when SAFA association commenced

1907 - the consensus start date for stats for every record book done since the 1970's

1997 - when the Port Adelaide Football clubs elite team played AFL, new Magpies entity formed

2011 - as outlined above

2014 - when Magpies became Power reserves

All of these have reasonably strong arguments attached to them.

I should add as the one who produces the weekly stats report for media covering SANFL (Inc Football Budget) which includes head to head stats.
the instructions I received back in 2014 was to keep records of Port Magpies in SANFL league back to 1907.

Should I be advised to change by the SANFL officials I co-ordinate with then I will act accordingly.
by PhilH
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes getting from brain to mouth, in understandable english, at times can be a challenge.

Sometimes mouth is on auto as you are thinking of next point and something weird comes out.

Found this doing some ice hockey games late last year

Kept on saying "field" and "ball" without knowing I was saying it instead of "rink" and "puck"

There are actually 2 different things you need to have set in your mind.

1) Memorize numbers

Once teams announced Thursday I usually break the 23 into their groups of 10

ie all players 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 60-69 for Crows etc then work through each group until entire 23 is done.

First few rounds are always a challenge but if you have called a team once learning 4-6 new numbers per side is a lot easier than 10-12

For me I always ensure if nothing else the number are memorized before each game. Sometimes someone else gives me a flash test, especially before a big game or one where the teams / players are new.

At ground will usually read down the Budget order with names covered over for a final run through just before air time

Often when team runs out (broadcast permitting) I will have another look just so head is in right space, plus I often call in my own head early in game when other commentator has call for first 5-10 mins until I feel I am in the groove needed.

2) ID a player without a number

I was spoilt starting my announcing career doing Gridiron, numbers everywhere, cant miss. SANFL not so lucky.

Guys like Phil Aspinall, John Nankivell, Chris Kendall and Don Cooper are awesome at this, I need a bit of help at times.

Always looking for something that makes them stand out ... ie hair style, boot colours, long sleeves, taping etc

3/4 time of Reserves is usually a good chance to get some idea especially for teams that have training jumpers with numbers on the back.

Then as above re watching pregame.

This all before we get to any research on backgrounds, stats etc ....
by PhilH
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17

Very happy for Dutchy to put up except I'll now need to pay him a percentage of the gate takings as a promotional fee.... shame the Crows and kids are free entry. :)
by PhilH
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4,677 at the Eagles v Crows game

Great result and memorable day on many counts.

Thanks to all who played a part in making it happen.
by PhilH
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The rain after half time certainly sorted out the die hard fans from the casual visitors.

Still working out who came through when
BUT
we had about 2300 come in AFTER the last carnival match started so you could assume there were here for main match not the U8/U10.

Based on that I would estimate we had around 3,200 at games start.
Down to around 2800 by half time
and 2500 or so drowning by games end (dont forget the smart ones went to the grandstand, cricket or footy clubrooms.)

Players and Godsy certainly noted at post game presentations it was a larger and louder support than what they were used to,

Would have loved another 150 or so to break a couple of records but the forecast of afternoon rain was always going to be an issue for our target market of footy fans who don't usually come to games but might if invited and we put on an family friendly event around it.

Such is life, the 3 previous carnival days have been played in perfect conditons ... we were due for a wet one.

and
by PhilH
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dutchy, that is a great question I would love an answer for ... it is not just SANFL, it happens a lot with any kids games at elite footy.

You would be amazed how many auskicker families leave Adelaide Oval (both Power and Crows) as soon as they get back from the half time game late in the 3rd quarter. Also happens with the mini leaguers at most SANFL venues I call at.

And yes happened at Woodville on Sunday, breaks my heart every year walking down the Southern end of Woodville to set up the parade as entire clubs pack up & walk past me on way out, couldn't even stay another 10-15 minutes to be in the parade and be acknowledged by the crowd. That said a lot did stay, lead of the parade was almost at the northern 50m arc by the time the end of it entered the arena.

And with the treasure hunt that keeps quite a few around for an extra 20 - 25 minutes or so.

I think this year weather was a big issue ... for casual family fans, which is what we are looking at here, it just wasn't a comfortable afternoon to stick around with a biting breeze all day and heavy rain on the way.
by PhilH
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You said .. Guilty silence from a few?

Given few is more than one, anyone else on this site besides BP you are having a crack at?

BTW - BP is not responsible for rostering this year, you are being very unfair to him in suggesting he had any role in it this year let alone providing an explanation for decisions made.

Please remember for many of us with the stream, the breakdown between someone we consider a mate and the organisation that allows us to do something we love (calling footy) is upsetting. Being publically called to account when were not involved in any decision made and then shamed when we try to stay out of it does not help.
by PhilH
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My suggestion for Port's Grand Final Banner (front side)
Magpies Banner 2a.png

And backside
Magpies 1a.png
by PhilH
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meanwhile out West ... looks like the WAFL Grand FInal has been moved a week early .... could we say the same about the SANFL this Sunday?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/whoever-wins-between-subi-and-south-is-the-best-wafl-team---but-a-de-facto-afl-team-might-win-the-grand-final-ng-b88596779z
by PhilH
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Grand Final

See Kane Cornes having a dig at the free kick count in this mornings print media

Well at least one Cornes has made a post match comment to the media.
by PhilH
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Broadcast Coverage

Stay tuned, hopefully, for further announcements in the near future, hopefully the next couple of weeks. ( John 11 43-44 )
by PhilH
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFLX and Y and Z plus trial games

South ... inaugural SAFA premiers (1877) and Fast Footy Champions (2018)
by PhilH
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am pleased to announce that SANFL is back on radio this year with 1079 LIFE once again broadcasting SANFL games on a weekly basis.

Life have been SANFL broadcasters since 2002 even getting in one game last year when the Eagles brought them in to broadcast their Eagles Community Carnival Day.

The station will be broadcasting a game every week through the season and also plans to cover the state game and all finals. Radio veteran Doug Oakley will head the commentary team.

In addition the station will introduce SANFL ONE , a one hour pre-game show and 30 minute post game wrap, hosted by myself, meaning each game day broadcast will go for 4 hours.

Life's 1st game will be the Easter Monday clash between Norwood and Sturt at Coopers Stadium, SANFL One will start at 2pm with first bounce 3.10pm.
by PhilH
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I am open to ideas re the new pre-game show.
Normally it will run 1pm to 2pm before crossing to the broadcast game starting 2.10pm.

The show will be ONE hundred percent SANFL ... so what do you want included?
by PhilH
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for the kind words Dutchy but for the record I have not done much recently.

My job was getting Life FM involved in calling the Eagles v Crows, Community Carnival Game last August, took a bit of wrangling at the time but it happened.

Thankfully after that, I think everyone realised radio coverage was imperative and the two parties got talking.

Very very relieved .... next challenge now is to deliver a good show around the game.
by PhilH
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big Phil does an awesome job. One of our most passionate, hard working and knowledgeable commentators covering the league.

The league needs more like him.

Happy to confirm State Game (SANFL v WAFL Sat May 12) will be on Life FM. Finalised today.
by PhilH
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Didn't the SAAFL exist as an Amateur League not affiliated with the SANFL for decades?

Hasn't the SA Amateur Soccer been unaffiliated with FFSA for ages hence why SA has only 2 teams in FFA Cup?

I was involved in Gridiron in Australia back in the 1990s where QLD, NSW, Vic & WA all had 2 seperate state leagues and there were 3 national bodies.

For mine Governing Sporting Body relates more to who he government recognises as the organisation they liaise with in terms of sports development and management, ie funding programs, national representative teams, drug testing etc.
by PhilH
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1079 Life's first five radio broadcasts

Rd 1 - Norwood v Sturt Mon April 2, SANFL ONE starts 2pm

Rd 2 - North v West Sun April 8, SANFL ONE starts 12pm

Rd 3 - Port v Eagles, Sat April 14, SANFL ONE starts 1pm

Rd 4 - Sturt v Port, Wed April 25 (ANZAC DAY), SANFL ONE starts 12 noon

Rd 5 - Glenelg v Central, Sat April 28, SANFL ONE starts 1pm

8 different clubs covered over the 5 rounds, last years grand finalists Sturt & Port broadcast twice (including ANZAC Day)
So every team covered early except Adelaide and South which we will do our best to cover as soon as practical.
by PhilH
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi John ...... SANFL ONE will be different each week depending on when in the round we are broadcasting and how many games are on at the same time.

It looks like we should be able to have an Around The Grounds reporter at most games held at same time we are calling, including all 4 Sunday Afternoon games covered in Rd 2.

We will be encouraging listener participation, details to be advised Monday morning

We are planning a main interview each week, first cab off the rank, SANFL GM of Football Adam Kelly.

We are an FM station so there might be something musical

There will be at least scores covering the Women's and minor grade competitions.

There will be build up to the broadcast game and a chat about the 4 games already completed.

And hopefully I push all the right buttons to keep everything on air!

It all starts 2pm SA time (NB Central Standard not Summer) on Monday ... stay tuned.
by PhilH
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well the day has finally arrived, SANFL Macca's League back on radio with 1079 Life.

SANFL ONE (Starts 2pm )
Hosted by Phil Herden and around the grounds reporter Tom Eglinton the show includes;
Interview with SANFL General Manager of Football Adam Kelly
Chats with representatives from both Norwood and Sturt
A wrap of Round One so far
Your predictions, comments and questions (refer below)

GAME TIME
Doug Oakley, Jon Symonds and Andrew Marks calling all the action

JOIN THE COVERAGE
We have a double pass to Wallis Cinemas for whoever can get closest to the final winner & margin
Give us your selection via
- Facebook Page 1079 Life
- Twitter @SANFL1079Life
- 1079 Life Text Line 0413 90 1079
Plus we want your thoughts, feedback and questions through the day via the above channels.
by PhilH
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes I last remember seeing Eric when Central d Port in 1st Semi leaving the SANFL top 3 AFL Free that season.
by PhilH
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 North V West Sunday 1310

Rd 2 NA WA.png
by PhilH
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got your wish John
by PhilH
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I will laugh about this later .... just not now
by PhilH
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

She certainly would have John.

Upcoming 1079 Life broadcast schedule

Rd 4 - Wed April 25 : Sturt v Port (Peter Motley Oval), SANFL ONE from 12pm

Rd 5 - Sat April 28 : Glenelg v Central (Gliderol Stadium), SANFL ONE from 1pm

Rd 6 - Sun May 6 : Sturt v Eagles (Peter Motley Oval), SANFL ONE from 1pm

State Game - Sat May 12 - SANFL v WAFL (Adelaide Oval), SANFL ONE from 12pm

Rd 7 - Sat May 19 : North v South (Prospect Oval), SANFL ONE from 1 pm

This means 7 games in, we have all clubs broadcast at least once, expect for Adelaide.
by PhilH
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R4 Sturt v Port Wednesday 1310

GAME DAY - SANFL Macca's League ANZAC DAY game Sturt v Port @ Peter Motley Oval Unley.

LIVE Radio Call on 1079 Life, starting 12 noon with SANFL ONE. 107.9 FM in Adelaide or http://www.1079life.com/listen

Go in draw to win Double Pass to Wallis Cinemas, just advise your prediction & margin of 1079 Life Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/LifeFM1079 / or tweet @SANFL1079Life.
by PhilH
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Radio Coverage of state game starts 12pm on 1079 Life , [url]1079life.com/listen[/url]

There will be a free stream as well, probably starting 1pm.
by PhilH
Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GAME DAY!

1079 Life's SANFL Coverage starts 1pm

Broadcast game is North v South from Prospect

Regular reports from our Around the Grounds team on the other 3 matches, Glenelg v Adelaide, Eagles v Norwood and Central v Sturt

You could Win a double pass to Wallis Cinemas, pick the winner and closest margin on 1079 Life Facebook Page (SANFL Gameday thread) https://www.facebook.com/LifeFM1079/

Listen on 107.9 FM in Adelaide or web stream http://www.1079life.com/listen
by PhilH
Sat May 19, 2018 8:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R7 North v South Sat 1410

Today's 1079 Life broadcast game, coverage starts 1pm

You could Win a double pass to Wallis Cinemas, pick the winner and closest margin on 1079 Life Facebook Page (SANFL Gameday thread) https://www.facebook.com/LifeFM1079/

Listen on 107.9 FM in Adelaide or web stream http://www.1079Life.com/listen

[attachment=0]Rd 7 NA SA.png[/attachment
by PhilH
Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R7 Port v West Sun 1410

Ladder Rd 7.png
by PhilH
Sun May 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What would work well is if they had a monitor showing what camera was filming ... they would just about have the whole ground covered.

Works calling the baseball .. we have the National Junior League champs at West Beach right now, called a game this morning from behind home plate, had a monitor showing 180 degree angle from centrefield above pitchers shoulder ..worked a treat.
by PhilH
Sun May 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |