Search found 106 matches

Return

Re: Rnd 1 - Eagles v Central @ Maughan Thiem (Sat 5/4)

Bounce of the ball wrote:The majority of us knew Central supporters will drop off when mediocre.

Started to drop off after the 8th GF in a row, still well in the dynasty though.
by wild dog
Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brad Symes Announces Retirement

Unfortunately for Symes this wasn't the first head knock. Maybe that needs to be taken into account as well. Yes the game has changed but was it that bad ? Least he didn't cop gutless ones from behind or in packs .Ironic.

Up there as one of the snidest post I have read on a footy forum. Please explain the Irony in Symes announcement. The interview that you quote is more a testament to his character than a defence of that ^.
by wild dog
Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol inc Post Match

Good relations between Centrals and the bowls means the club gets use of the adjacent land, as well as the school across the road. Why call it unwanted space?
Think about it....

Read a funny blog the other day http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/there-goes-the-charabanc-the-cdfc-bulldogs-supporters-bus-1970-1976/

In the context of thinking about it, worth a read.
by wild dog
Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

The decision to build Adelaide Oval has changed my thoughts on wanting to see the demise of the Power; I do not want to see a publically funded white elephant harm the state. The Power doing well, although grating, is making the city come to life. If the resurgence continues with both teams filling the stadium, it will benefit the city and state for decades. My guess is that the Power have turned the corner, and even if they start to drop as the AFL cycle dictates (to an extent) I believe that a critical mass of “NEW” Port Power fans will carry the franchise through.

IMO within the current football setup, each time the Adelaide Oval fills, support for the SANFL competition erodes. The SANFL financially benefits, however the AFL interest is now dominating to such an extent and combined with the introduction of the reserves, has seen the local comp become a shell of its former self. Some will express the opinion that it was already at that point, but most SANFL supporters believed we were holding our own and there was still strong potential for an AFL alternative competition. That potential has now gone.

This year long term supporters have either said let’s see what it will be like or have bailed. I’m yet to see a new breed of supporter that comes to the games based on the reserves introduction – the Tex games being an exception. It may be happening, but from my own experience and reading the forums including this one, there does not appear too many.

I’m disappointed in this year, it is strangely lacking in atmosphere. I hope it returns, but Im getting the thoughts of finding another interest.
by wild dog
Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Norwood v Central @ The Parade (Fri N 27/6)

Dutschke listed, hope he gets a game and unleashes the junkyard hound.
by wild dog
Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

a lie is different to saying you think something might happen when you know for sure it plainly wont

Is it. When does that "something" turn into a lie. Or is it when you've convinced yourself that "something" is going to happen that it isn't a lie. Ethical business does not work your way.

i believe it was always 4000 total supporters, if you can show me a quote otherwise im happy to be corrected. now obviously that was wildly optimistic, but trigg doesnt make these figures out of thin air. obviously someone did some estimates and attempted to work it out, but i honestly believe they thought they would get 4k per game.

making wrong predictions does not mean you lied. it could mean you did. or you could just be wrong.

4000 number has been discussed a number of times. If not 4000 Crows supporters, how many actual Crows supporters did he mean? Academic, its now turned out to be a couple of hundred max. Who don't pay to get in and add nothing to the atmosphere of a game. Worse than that, particularly for Centrals who has a fair dual allegiance, its created a supporter split and has lead to long term, rusted on loyal supporters who added to the atmosphere of games, leave for good.

Over estimated with some basis of the estimate you say. If you can show me the basis of the estimate and subsequent legitimacy then I'm happy to be corrected.

Shucks, Wide eyed honest to goodness it was over optimistic. Your belief is touching, but its us paying for such incompetence. Too big a mistake to brush off.

The threat to enter the Ammos; a lie?
The unanimous decision required by the SANFL clubs; a lie?

both leverage to get what he wanted. he was acting in the best interests of his club, which is what i want him to do.

dont forget it was up to the SANFL clubs to let the crows into the comp.

Leverage is a funny word/term that has been so nicely manipulated. Its now up there with derivatives. Do you know what it means? The thing is with leveraging in the business sense, is normally you have to pay back on the gamble. In the world of the SANFL unfortunately that does not happen.

So you say he leveraged, but then you say that after all, the Clubs let the C***s in. So if some clubs were saying no and the leveraging convinced them, is there culpability on the part of the leverager, or is it the sucker leveragees fault for being taken in.

Anyway the above statement is probably mute because your belief is he was acting in the best interest of your club (I notice that does not mean Centrals) so the end justified the means. The relationship between the Crows and the SANFL has been reduced to that; a great pity and a lack of historical understanding by supporters such as yourself.

now im the first to admit that i dont think it has worked out that well. it definitely hasnt been a disaster, but you can pretty certainly say it hasnt been a positive for the league. and im sure it is below their expectations. it is in the crows interest for the sanfl to be going well too.

so i would conclude part salesmanship, part bad estimates. can you blame trigg for that? certainly. it seems like the crowd numbers of 4k (let alone an extra 4k) have been wildly inaccurate. but i dont think he would deliberately lie.

Would someone who was in a weak position, had made some bad decisions and support from staff and board was not looking rosy, was able to force a deeply unpopular proposition through its shareholders thus gaining needed credibility, not able to lie? If that proposition is a dud, based on flimsy or even made up data, and the technique used to sell the proposition unethical all to gain much need credibility, all combined not make a lie?

The logic of the SA AFL clubs acting in their best interest should be countered by the SANFL clubs. In the best interest of my club, as of next year charge the Crows and Port each a game day figure that compensates for the disastrous financial mess that we are finding ourselves in.
by wild dog
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

To be honest, the old system really wasnt that bad was it?

I mean think about it, you had a few players spread through the teams, they had to work hard and earn a spot for the SANFL side, you cant tell me that was a bad thing?

And yes, this is mainly because I want Mitch Grigg back at the legs ;). haha but on a serious note, how do you manage all the young mids you want to develop in one side.

I agree, it wasn't bad, watching your home grown talent take the step up to the AFL, come back for more development and then really crack the big stage. Seeing our next Stewart Dew or Shannon Hurn go straight to a Port or Crows reserves side to then take the field against us makes me shudder, and will be the end of watching football (besides my kids) for me WHEN it does happen.

And yeah I wouldn't mind Callinan back either.
by wild dog
Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 19/7)

Actually I thought the crowd figure looked reasonable this week. There was a good contingent of eagles supporters considering their supporter base, and I for one thank them for making the trip out. One group who wear yellow and are far from it. Too many opposition supporters fail to make the trip on the bogus and frankly, cowardly belief they are going to be confronted by some someone of a lower social class than themselves.

In terms of crowds this year, I thought the Crows game was sub 1000. The West game did eventually build after the poor weather at the start of the game, but 1700?

In my opinion Centrals until 2008 had a supporting home crowd of 3000. Opposition supporters fluctuated but hardly would exceed the 1000 mark. Since then its been a gradual decline due to the economic issues, however this year has seen a dramatic downturn, mostly on the terrace side and the northern hill. Further economic downturn, changing employment conditions, Crows entry and dual allegiance, the comp becoming a reserves, poor form, bandwagoners,.....

The northern suburbs has changed drastically over the years, from blue collar paradise, to social welfare housing to low cost housing and living. Centrals needs to reconnect with the community; how is the question.
by wild dog
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Once again it comes down to what you think defines a club.

The bottom line is,I believe that it's up to the people who support the club that define what a club is.

Correspondents in this thread who post over and over and over their thoughts on the Port Adelaide Football Club are entitled to an opinion, just like we are allowed to have an opinion on theirs. Ultimately what they choose to think of their club, our club or other clubs pretty much matters **** all.

If it helps inflate their ego or own feeling of self importance, then that's a good thing for them.

Look, I will start this off by stating I respect you and others like you who are trying to make it feel the same and keep the historical connection by putting your, and I'm sure your families energy and money into it. You believe it to be the case, its just that I don't believe its the same and a large group of your opponents don't think that.

I cant argue that the SANFL part of Port Power are allowed to define your beliefs and hold to that. It does so with little regard to the legitimacy of the argument of your opponents within the same competition, the competition that enables you to put those beliefs in action. Once again that's your right.

However, its been demonstrated in other posts that legally your not the same - yes it is just paper but unless you or anyone else can disprove that, the point stands. Your SANFL club works under totally different conditions to its previous operations and your opponents. In no shape or form is it separate to Port Power. None. Its clearly stated that its not, and your clubs stated aim is to win the AFL premiership, a separate competition to the SANFL. So the Port Power reserves pretending to be the SANFL grand old Port Adelaide of old may make good theatre, but there are a substantial amount of people who see through it and think its a farce, corporate manipulation and false. Time will tell if the mainstream buy it or even care. Inflating egos, good old fashioned club rivalry, I wish it was that simple.

Anyway whether you realise it or not, your bottom line completely describes what you are doing. Keep it up, and good luck in winning your first premiership as a reserves team to Port Power.
by wild dog
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh Benny, stop hitting these poor people with facts, you're getting in the way of a more than 12 month sook! Oh, and if we want to talk about pies and pasties, yet somehow try to pretend the 9k who attended the Glenelg Crows game is somehow irrelevant, how many pies and pasties do we think were sold at that game?

Certainly in terms of crowds and interest in the competition, the no AFL in the SANFL argument has collapsed completely.

When Wendall Sailor made the switch from the Broncos to the Reds there was massive interest in his first club game from the Queensland Rugby public, who had been disappointed by years of underperforming and mediocrity. Similair scenario to this. Walker represented the great white hope for the Crows, a club which besides jagging a couple of premierships have continually underperformed in front of their captured adoring public.

You seem to forget the massive publicity machine that the AFL clubs generate in this state. If a normal SANFL round could achieve 25% of the available publicity you would be able to make some form of comparison.

The argument regarding crowds and interest has collapsed? No, its only the beginning. This is not a direct crowd number last year vs this year. Its much more complex. Start talking to the traditional clubs marketing managers, and get an idea of the struggle. Then you will understand what is collapsing.
by wild dog
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

2) Some supporters have definitely been lost and there have been a few replacementents, what remains to be seen is if these replacements will be long term (especially goven Walker wont play every year etc)

This is what has happened I think.

Another thing - yes that crows glenelg game had tex playing, but even without him it definitely would have pulled a bigger than average crowd in any event. At a guess it still could have gotten 5-6k given it was on Anzac weekend etc. another reason why just completely ignoring the game is wrong

Glenelg is one of the top supported clubs and has an Oval in an ideal location. It is quite capable of drawing big crowds without the aid of Tex Walker or the Adelaide Crows.
by wild dog
Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.

Now a lecture on selfishness :lol: Must admit its a real Gen Y perspective to lecture in such a bold way on a concept you obviously do not understand. Its all about the journey, not about the destination. Gotta love Postmodernism.

I accept that you have a point - the player has every right to have a dream to play at the highest level. The clubs should respect that wish. The spectators who support the club should respect that.

The question is, if offered the opportunity to leave the club mid way through a commitment, to the detriment of the club, team mates, supporters, volunteers, community, who is the selfish party?
by wild dog
Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gossipgirl wrote:drama queen
noun

(informal) a person who tends to react to every situation in an overdramatic or exaggerated manner

by wild dog
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep. Requires no more tinkering with top up players, half arsed "salary caps", finals qualifications etc etc.
It's a no brainer.

You know I have dismissed this concept as a little out there, but there is some merit. If we moved the fixtures back to the SANFL GF after the AFL, the AFL teams would have a reserves game guaranteed for a little further into the AFL finals series. However my preference if we cant have the AFL reserves team out of the comp is for the games not to be played for points, enabling the SANFL league teams a developmental approach to the game. Then who cares about post game awards attendance, its just for development of both teams.
by wild dog
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

7 WAFL, 8 SANFL and 5 VFL clubs not aligned to AFL clubs. Find a white knight to fund a rebel 20-team national league to rival the AFL...

Insert standard "How about you just *** off out of our comp instead" remark here...

Or the AFL can acknowledge the traditional leagues and allow them to prosper without destroying the integrity of the competition.

Insert standard "You're ****ing dreaming if you believe the SANFL can survive without the AFL" remark here
by wild dog
Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RustyCage wrote:They have some bargaining power, but some also crave the AFL involvement and funding so won't go and do anything innovative like reverting back to an independent league.

Edited for accuracy
by wild dog
Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

Bad luck to South. My interest in the season is now over.
by wild dog
Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Rik E Boy wrote:The best thing about this Grand Final is that Centrals supporters are ******* spewing. Beautiful.

regards,

REB

MONSFAW :lol:
by wild dog
Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Or, adding to that, an SANFL player moving clubs. It does happen, you know!

If you're seriously comparing intra SANFL club transfer/recruiting, such as Templeton to the Eagles to say Josh Glenn being rookied by the Crows this year and playing against us next season, it demonstrates you have no idea of the magnitude of damage to the integrity of the SANFL that the AFL reserves present.
by wild dog
Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And this has never happened before, a player play against his old club?

Whinge thread indeed.

Difference is the SANFL club is powerless to stop the recruiting. From SANFL club to SANFL club counter offers can be made, its a level playing field. Now if a contract / rookie contract is offered by local AFL teams, the SANFL club offers the recruit heartiest of congratulations and then take the field against them the following season.

Of course we should just accept this, pay our membership, sponsorship, volunteer our time and watch our clubs get belted by the beneficiaries of all this. And we shouldn't complain because............. Tell me Booney why shouldn't we complain?
by wild dog
Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Re the compromise, I thought it would've been ok to do this as a transition phase (like in the WAFL) but eventually it would be a pointless exercise as some of the players are playing under one game plan (and learning each other's style of play as team mates) and a bunch of others are playing a bunch of others, penalised because they're from SA. Come to think of it, we've had our own players playing against each other in the same competition for years, how silly is that?!

Do you deliberately ignore the issue that the SANFL club is powerless to stop the recruiting of their players who will then, in all likelihood oppose them the following year?
No, I wholeheartedly agree with you, the SANFL clubs are powerless. But it's only ever going to be one or two from any one club at a time. If they're any good they'll play AFL and if they're not they're delisted after 2 or 3 years . So there is a turnover of players being delisted from AFL clubs that can come back and play.

Mate if you have a real passion for this game and you're not trolling, try and understand that those one or two guys from your team who are potentially your best and brightest are simply tapped on the shoulder, offered a contract and moved to the opposition. In terms of best and brightest think Stewart Dew who took a couple of years to become a permanent member of Port Power and helped us to our first grand final. While these one or two are developing in the next two or three years, they are playing against you while they are developing. Imagine one of these guys kicking the winning goal (or four) for their new team against you in the grand final. While they are still developing of course. Its a farce, it will destroy the competition, and it has to be stopped.
by wild dog
Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Well I cant believe Im writing this, a few bevvies have helped, I want to ignore this fargn Grand Final but this competition is such a great and historical one, South Australians do not understand what they have, so here it goes:

GO U LEGS
by wild dog
Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central v Norwood at Playford 2.10

Centrals skill level was awful on Saturday. We met Norwood with intensity and run but they were just slicker. I lost count of how many of our kicks and handballs fell at the feet of the intended target. That then put pressure on the next disposal. I am hoping this was just a case of it being our first game and being a little rusty.

We also need another avenue up forward. We are a little predictable with only Retzlaff.

Was much of that due to Norwoods pressure, or were they errors the Dogs just shouldn't have made?
I was mainly referring to when we weren't under pressure, we just couldn't hit our targets. Which then puts the guy that was out on his own under pressure.

Yeah I agree, sometimes the sloppiness didn't matter as there was a bit of space, but as an example in the first quarter Thomo's sloppy kick away from goal looking for a better angle was A12 stuff.

The same old resting ruckman issue and another forward. Pity we lost White to other opportunities.

Norwood were well organised and able to crowd the backlines effectively, and were dynamite on the break. They played the big ground well and there were a few panting dogs at times. They will be much better for the run. So many new faces and facing the Premier$ with a game already under their belt, had a few of those guys under pressure.

Good Norwood turn out. The best from an opposition side for a while. Some good banter, with the typical rubbish, but thanks for turning up. Our home crowd is on the wain, and opposition supporters coming to Elizabeth is a positive.
by wild dog
Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 - Glenelg v Central Fri 7.10

Retzlaff a big out kicking 4 of a small total last week. Stevens who looks promising also an out and combined with Goodrem depletes what was an ok first up game list despite the loss. Guys like Habel, Potter and Edmead and with the timely inclusion of Obrien can make the most of the conditions. I would like to see Habel play further forward - very skillful and composed with pace and must make this a break out year. Roy likes him breaking the lines but we need another option for goal.
Dogs by 12 pts.
by wild dog
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations Paul Thomas (CDFC) - 250 League Games

Best of luck and congratulations to a club champ. Always puts in 100% and an iinspirational captain. If not there already, joins a list of club legends.
by wild dog
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 - Glenelg v Central Fri 7.10

Classy of Glenelg Footy Club staying out and recognising Thomos 250th after what must have been a disappointing loss. Well done.
by wild dog
Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Did the Eagles get numbers back then counter into open space? (ie, the same manner they dismantled us last week)

Yep, and took the piss in doing so. You guys did similar but not as good as the Eagles. Very impressed with them and a good brand of footy to watch. Also a good turn out of Eagles supporters. Well done to the club, hard working as usual.
by wild dog
Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

LefevreWoodvilleWestTorrensParalowie by 24 pts.
by wild dog
Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - West v Central @ City Mazda (Sun 3/5)

Just a very young side who lack composure and confidence and still not experienced enough to play to the game plan. Too many clangers by the more experienced guys. West had targets and stuck to their structure. A couple of times I heard a player telling West guys to keep to their structure. Centrals on the other hand had little voice and certainly none providing direction.

I think we have some exciting prospects, but unless there is a dramatic form reversal, cant see us playing finals.
by wild dog
Mon May 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

^^^^^ This
It's about the SANFL promoting it's league. And the SANFL clubs jumping on the marketing bandwagon.
Do something to attract new fans and draw back the old fans.
The SANFL didn't want to pay $6000 to have the SANFL show on FIVEaa this year, so it doesn't look like they want to do much in the way of advertising.

It used to be marketed as an alternative to the AFL. Now it is part of it. Rusted on supporters are dropping off, a few AFL lovers have been picked up. Id rather they save marketing dollars and subsidising AA under the current model, and find a way to get back to an AFL alternative. Then market it.
Centrals were blamed for years for the dropping off of the crowds. Now we have Norwood and Port back up the top, with Sturt not doing too badly. Theoretically crowds should be up. Not only are the crowds so far this year severely reduced, there is bugger all atmosphere.
by wild dog
Wed May 06, 2015 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

matt35 wrote:So a club that was against the changes from the start. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thats right a club suffering from a severe drop in home numbers directly attributed to the reserves issue. It's an issue in motion so there is plenty to see.
by wild dog
Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

No sh*t you want to keep the seconds in a top notch league. Why wouldn't you. However this isn't about your success, its about my f*cking clubs survival, and you Harper and your mediocre organisation need to remember that. Adelaide has had a solid gold 25 years with an adoring public gazing on, and the fully fledged backing of a platinum organisation in the SANFL. You knew you couldn't fail, and it made you lazy. The Adelaide football club is a lazy, bloated and spoilt club that deserves no more sacrifice from the SANFL clubs and its members.

For Harper and his cohorts to issue such a statement just reinforces that they don't get it. I cant believe I actually supported the pricks.
by wild dog
Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 Adelaide v Port Balaklava Sunday 1.10pm

Yeah, that's a great effort from O'Hara but you could also understand why some would get jaded waiting in the wings for an opportunity.

Also Brad Currie. Ja k Gunston while on the Crows list played a fair amount in Centrals reserves. From memory also Henderson. Now you just short circuit the process all clubs have in place and give the proverbial.

Good luck on the day though you have an excellent club and hope you get a big thirsty and hungry crowd.
by wild dog
Thu May 14, 2015 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8 - Centrals v Adelaide Reserves @ Elizabeth

Wasn't a bad effort against Sturt, and we need a win for confidence. Dogs by 18.

Bye last week, Adelaide this week at home - bye, Port the following week at home so more farewells, and then another bye. That's no footy four weekends in a row. Including the state game we have 4 byes this year. Prior to it becoming a reserves competition, in 2013 we had 3, 2012 there were 4. So much for adding the extra team and ridding the comp of the bye.
by wild dog
Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This would just given the AFL clubs more incentive to not bother fielding their best team every week, something a lot of you have criticised on here as ruining the integrity of the comp. That would be worse than the current situation by a long way imo.

I think its time for a full AFL reserves comp, hell, even an U18 comp too

If there was a full reserves comp, or the AFL clubs moved elsewhere, they will still need top up players, and without any connection to the SANFL the SANFL clubs would be ripe for the picking... especially the 19/20/21 yo's that missed getting picked in the draft and wanting to have another crack. Best place to be seen by an AFL club is under their noses.

Its obviously the main issue. Being devils advocate, how would those players feel when the AFL club has limited injuries and they have to play for the amateurs. Would the amateurs have them? The SANFL if deciding to go it alone, obviously would not allow those guys to drop back to a SANFL team. So those 19/20/21 yo's you mention may think the SANFL is the better option to get their game back in order. After all, it wont take long for the word to get out if they manage to reverse their form.

If the AFL and SANFL go it alone, will a productive relationship result or will it become totally adversarial. Will SANFL zones be respected, will the AFL set up regional academies'? IMO the AFL would be crazy to interfere any more in the SANFL model, and in the best interest of the game allow it to have as much inter-dependence that the fans will allow. We are obviously saying the current model is too much - more independence.
by wild dog
Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 West v Port @ Richmond

Ironically Huge Warrior left the ground for the first time at the break and hung around the change rooms.
by wild dog
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

Had to laugh at the retirement squad on the western wing, slightly south of centre, who without doubt are the most outstanding wanker supporters I've had the pleasure to listen to. Without any provocation, the hurling of stupid insults to the one or two Centrals supporters about them who were only cheering on their team was comedy gold, Knocking back the coldies and wearily working their way back and forward to the kiosk with their mean mother scowls, arthritic gait and pot bellies, no idea how utterly decrepit and stupid they looked. "Knock down Holdens and build a nuclear power plant" they repeated in their shrill voices, not understanding the properties of radioactive material. While they looked upon their formidable team, they proved themselves to be a poor bunch of silly old sods.

Have sat near these guys previously. Certainly dribble a lot of *&#$. They love giving it to former Eagle Nathan Daniel :lol:

We luv taking your stars and giving you our dud coaches and players :lol:

Anyway Dogs just don't quite cut it now the brown paper bags have stopped ..... enjoy

:lol: :lol: Thank you I am enjoying. This just gets funnier, yes you're the one or part of the gang Holden. The paper bag line. How many times did you use that? Well done.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Bric123/1HellsGranniescopy_zps540b0f4c.jpg

Just wondering, did you know the 78 Holden, the classic HZ was built where you now want the nuclear plant?

The funniest part though, was when you guys brought up the Gowans for the third time. I did raise to the bait and mentioned that they are probably over at the terraces and take it up with them, and the how many premierships they had won line. The retort had me in tears - "they thpeak like f*ckin faggottts." Im not one to make fun of a speech impediment beyond shrill voices, but come on Nuclear Power Plant 78, if you or one of your pals have a lisp you may want to be careful in taking the p*ss out of how someone talks.
by wild dog
Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

This is what a game thread should be like.
by wild dog
Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If they are not going anywhere there will be many more "moving on."
by wild dog
Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12: Norwood v Centrals - Saturday @ Norwood

With Wally getting a game in him and Barmby back there is suddenly a little pressure for guys to keep their spot. Our forward line is still misfiring and ruck just cant seem to at least break even. If Baulderstone is proppy that will help us out a lot.

I thought Norwood were due but it was a week early. To lose a second time in a row and this game at home is a big ask for us. There is going to be a stack of tackles and this will be a very defensive game. I'm still going for Centrals but by less than a goal.
by wild dog
Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With Wally getting a game in him and Barmby back there is suddenly a little pressure for guys to keep their spot. Our forward line is still misfiring and ruck just cant seem to at least break even. If Baulderstone is proppy that will help us out a lot.

I thought Norwood were due but it was a week early. To lose a second time in a row and this game at home is a big ask for us. There is going to be a stack of tackles and this will be a very defensive game. I'm still going for Centrals but by less than a goal.
To be fair Retzlaff has scored more points per game than anyone in the league. You just need another scorer with him.

Almost last chance saloon for Centrals and as others have said, Norwood haven't been in top form for a while.
I'll go Centrals by 10-15 points despite the Redlegs parking the bus.

Yeah Retzlaff is a gun forward and has been forced to work much further up ground. His form however does not mean the forward line is working well. As you said we need a couple of guys to stand up. Kemp and Stevens when he is forward need to take some marks and Edmead needs to take his chances and not fumble.
We also need some guys to read the play better and get forward when we have gained possession. I'm resigned to us losing the ruck battle, but its those forward entries when we have the break and our attack gets mopped up on the last line which have cost us. The good opposition have killed us when they do the same. We are almost there with a good bunch of disciplined young lads, but this season so far has been about missed opportunities.
by wild dog
Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Paid 3.20. Not saying they wont be there at the end of the season, but Norwood were right for the shaggin. Here we come...
by wild dog
Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: McGregor sacked!

Careful what you wish for Norf supporters. What now, sack this one as well? :oops:
No coach can turn it around so quick. McGregor left the club in a mess, will take awhile to get them back on track

The football trend is for a new coach to be accompanied by some degree of success and revelation. They were down by 14.13 to 1.2 at 3/4 time and ultimately lost by over a ton. Results were never that bad under Ken. They played Centrals FFS who are clearly the seventh best team. Today's effort is their worst of the season for mine by a mile.
They played Centrals FFS who are clearly the seventh best team? Clearly? We will see.............................

Softly, Softly, Catchee Monkey
by wild dog
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes an indication on how the crowds would look without AFL reserves teams.
by wild dog
Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So all that interest that has supposedly disappeared from the competition due to the current set up just mysteriously came back due to two games being cancelled for the weekend? Seriously? I've seen some straw clutching here but that takes the cake!

:lol: Straw clutching. Take a look at yourself pal. If you have bothered to pay any attention, those who have an interest in SANFL only games are saying they will go and watch games between traditional SANFL teams. They don't go to a game that involves the reserves. That happened this weekend, and the Adelaide AFL team did not play. Personally, 3 guys met me at the Norwood game this week who haven't been all year. You will highlight any reason besides the reserves issue. Its too wet, its too dry, Glenelg are crap, Glenelg are good. Straw clutching...... :lol: I will say one thing, if you go to as many SANFL games as you say you do, I will acknowledge your dedication to the AFL reserves cause, as misguided that it is.
by wild dog
Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bloke gets murdered and games get cancelled

YESSSSS, time to make it out to Norwood.

Yep, that is 100% the reason and it has nothing to do with the fact that there was no AFL or Country footy in Adelaide this weekend.

You are seriously cooked, and stuff like that ruins the legitimate arguments of others.

Been to many Centrals games this season???

edit reason: to add more question marks

Havent been once. Whats your point?

Stupid post. Trying to grasp at the moral higher ground by using this incident reflects your inability to understand anything but the bleeding obvious.

That you haven't been to a game is the point. You work it out.
by wild dog
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12: West v Eagles - Saturday @ Richmond

If he doesn't reply you know your on the foe list Columbo.
by wild dog
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Boring to attacking ?

I like these type of threads as it helps me to better understand the current state of the game. Most games these days I'm either looking out for kids or trying to fit in a quick can or 10. I think one of the best interviews I have read regarding this topic was with the late Phil Walsh. The article is found here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-crows-coach-phil-walsh-believes-footy-needs-to-go-back-to-its-roots/story-fni5f4l8-1227308414798 and really does demonstrate how astute he was. To paraphrase him, It used to be a positional game - netball without the lines where you beat an opponent, and then became an invasion game - like soccer.

I think Centrals were one of the last to really adopt the full zone game as we did master the one on one aggressive game and were reluctant to give it up. Where is it at now. In my eyes watching the Eagles and the way they manage to get it out of the zone and on the quick attack depends on the ability of the players and the freedom from the coach. Walsh said we all play a defensive shape and try to play an offensive shape. Skills, intuition, tactics, Im not sure how the Eagles do it but it is a good game to watch and sure beats watching 5 goals for the game.
by wild dog
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: Centrals v Adelaide - Saturday 11 July @ Elizabeth

CENTURION wrote:
wild dog wrote:With the cold blast this weekend combined with the opposition, I can see this being a record low crowd at Elizabeth.

All CDFC supporters should just stay in The Club then! NO AFL IN THE SANFL!!

I will see you there.
by wild dog
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Caught the end of a discussion on MMM this arvo with someone from the SANFL regarding the Magarey and Hal Of Fame nights being joined together.... they the discussed the crowds and the dude from SANFL (sorry cant remember who it was) stated that the following clubs crowds were up this year Sturt, Glenelg, Norwood and Central...

Is that actually correct? I cant see that Central's crowds are up at all...

Did he mention Google, Facebook and Twitter stats? Apparently they are trending upwards. Its great having guys like him in charge, makes you feel like were in safe hands.

source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/new-sanfl-chief-jake-parkinson-says-state-league-is-not-suffering-from-crows-and-power-reserves/story-fnii0294-1227353939560
by wild dog
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |