Search found 32 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 1 2014

wow well theyve got all their premiership stars back, lets all piss our pants, but not a single name has been mentioned yet Do you put a great deal of effort into being a self righteous fwit or does it come naturally?

well unfortunately for u im not a self righteous fwit but hopefully youll find someone soon who is and you can be a self righteous fwit together. good luck on your exploration i wish u the best. youll find someone, i just know u will

meanwhile thankyou to bird of prey for filling us in with some factual information, gaza suddenly, with proof actually might now look the goods for finals footy cheers

My pleasure. How bout you "like" me then. The donuts next to it make me feel lonely and unloved :(
by bird of prey
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 1 2014

The Ash Man wrote:Holm would carve him up. Even out of position

Nah smith would own him. Holm wouldn't know how to man up on him if SPOC had the ball.

I'd take him any day of the week over Holm.
by bird of prey
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game??

Not sure how it can be referred to as a "state game". The so-called "state team" is only a rep side for the SAAFL, which only covers part of the Adelaide Metropolitan area, in no way representative of the entire state.

It is obscene that the state guernsey is disrespected in this manner.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Sunday's game is actually called the City v Country game and when they go to WA later this year, they are called the SAAFL State U23 team so I'm not sure what you're on about
Exactly. It's only referred to as the "state team" within amateur league circles. And since this forum is SAAFL specific, I think we are justified in calling it the state team on here.

I do remember playing against Vic and WA, a few times and they used their Big V, and their brown and yellow swan guernsey when they played us. Can't believe that they disrespected their state guernseys too :roll:

Given that it's one states amateur comp v another states amateur comp, then state guernseys are warranted I think.

Both the VAFA & WAAFA are amateur competitions and have restrictions to maintain amateur status. As a result their rep teams are genuine State Amateur teams.
SA does not have any amateur competitions, therefore a State Amateur team is pointless, how many of the players in the SAAFL rep team would be amateurs?

You have absolutely no idea buddy. I have played in the all Australian side, and have got to know Vic and WA reps, and I can tell you that they are all getting paid cash to play. So if ya wanna get technical, they are not "amateur" either.

Maybe you could organise an SA, WA and Vic southern league comp. that way there you guys could wear a state guernsey and be happy too.
If you wanna have a whinge about the term "amateur league", then I really think that's a separate argument. But when you have 3 states operating their "amateur leagues" the same way, then I think it's fine to have a national tournament and wear state guernseys like they do,
by bird of prey
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game??

So you dont want anyone under SANFL standard having the opportunity to represent their state?

Should they?

Surely the team representing the state would be the best 22 in the state?

Otherwise, what's the point?

And what about the joke of an over 35 "State" team wearing the state jumpers when this is a side just picked from an over 35 super rules sunday comp. Any decent player over that age is still playing real football.

Is this just a case of sour grapes for guys that have never been good enough to make a rep side?

Next you're gonna start on the mini league kids for wearing the guernseys of the the afl teams that they're playing in the half time game of.
Are those kids really the junior rep side of say a port and adelaide teams :roll:

Get over it I reckon.
by bird of prey
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PHOS v Camden v PHOS Camden

camden split from greek when greek married henley

camden wasnt keen on threesomes but henley liked it greek style

camden instead hooked up with some high school boys at plympton

the high school boys are now finding camden too old? and are looking for something younger?

:YMAPPLAUSE:
Great summary
by bird of prey
Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Whilst it is still called the South Australian Amateur Football League, $0

If they do not change the official name (not just adopt some branding), they should go back to the following definition for eligibility of players:

1 Anyone who has never taken part in a football match or any other form of athletics for a stake or money prize.
2 Anyone who has never earned or partially earned his living by playing football or any other form of athletics, or taken money either directly or indirectly, in recognition of his skill therein.

Can this guy ever let go of the fact that people in this league get paid, and it will always be known as amateur league?
:roll:
by bird of prey
Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: F***ing Umpires

As someone that complains more than most on the footy field, I've never sworn at umpires or called names. You gotta respect what they do. The games where I've managed to stay calm and not question every 50-50 decision, I've been much more likely to get a free kick if it's there. It's amazing when you're more focused on the ball rather than the man or the umpire, that you're far more likely to get something in your favour. Umps are told to protect the player going for the ball at the end of the day.

An umpires decision is only paid on what they actually see. If they are watching from a different angle, then they're likely to see something different to what others would.
I bet if we taped all games and watched close ups of those "bullshit decisions", I reckon you'd be surprised how often they're right.

Also, the umps are instructed to pay certain free kicks. So while we all may think it bullshit, it's what the umps are told to do (eg. A player ducking their head into a player, actually receives a free for "too high", even though he initiates the contact.)

And when the white line fever stops once the final siren goes, it's hard to think that the umpire is actually out there to cheat for a particular side. (In the upper divisions that is anyway.....)
by bird of prey
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Wouldn't worry about Gepps too much. They've got some good young kids coming through. In speaking to a few out there (those that know what's going on) they've lost players who weren't worth the money they were getting anyway. Will probably play above the level of where their list is at on paper I would think.
And yes, 15 is definitely a slight exaggeration.
Thurgood and Stengle (div 1 medal winner)not worth the money?????? , can not see any replacements on the clearance link except for two juniors. if I was a member, i would be asking questions. a lot of good people at Gepps, they deserve better.

They were 7th and 8th in the club b & f. One could be right in saying they were not worth big money if that's all they could do last year. Gepps probably did the right thing and stood firm if you ask me.
by bird of prey
Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

haha, I remember that - I didn't even hear Jars mention it on the way home from work today either.

Don't deny that Gaza wouldn't become his new home if he decided to play footy this year though.
He's being chased by every sanfl club. My money would be on one of those winning out.....
If its money he is after he wont be playing SANFL
If it's money he is after, he'd be playing afl.
by bird of prey
Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 1 - 2015

Agree completely. Big Milne has been influential in the falcons winning streak but the core group that has won premierships the last couple years has only improved again this year. Small forward Paul Lowe was magnificent on the weekend, 4 very special last quarter goals. This week will be huge. Don't think the falcons have ever won at Goodwood. No doubt the falcons will go in underdogs but surely they have proved by now they can match it with anyone. Will be an absolute cracker this weekend.

Bullshit. Won the last game they played there.

(and what a glorious day it was bird of prey and the milky bar kid )

Haha, for sure! :D

It's a day I will never forget. I remember standing with the late Benny Saville (R.I.P) behind the goals aligned with Tyson Radetti who lined up on tight angle 20m out with a shot after the siren for the win. It was an incredible and somewhat euphoric finish to an incredibly shit season as that goal saw us go 2-16 and back to Div 2 a year after arriving.

It's the horror of our first div one appearance that taught us so much and is helping me appreciate the efforts of this years group.

Should be an absolute cracker this Saturday. Hopefully another sea sawing tight contest.
:lol: I had to comment on this.
That was the most incredible game that day. We had won one game until then, had a completely undermanned side (jolly and a couple of others didn't play), and Goodwood were looking to stitch up a home final for the next week.
The funniest part was that when my bro took the shot after the siren, he wasn't wearing his contact lenses. So he couldn't see the score board, and thought it was actually a draw, not that we were down by 1-2 points. It worked in our favour, as it took all the pressure off from his kick, and he nailed it through the middle (a touch wobbly though )
Even remember Dempsey doing cartwheels on the mark to try and put him off. Priceless. Gave salis nth the home final the next week as a result.
Great finish to a terrible season.
by bird of prey
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 2 2016

Being the guy who led us to a div 1 flag 13 years ago, he's always welcome up the road at klemzig too. Was always a very well liked bloke around the club, and respected by the playing group.
by bird of prey
Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 1 2016

It's not a 2017 thread I know, but goodies have already stocked up for next season.
They've already signed both Tuck boys, a ruckman, and a CHF.

Lookout!
by bird of prey
Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

From what I'm hearing there will a number of quality players leaving SAAFL this year searching for a sensible remuneration for the time and effort they put. Seems impossible to believe in 2017 that CPI has gone backwards. I would have thought a slight increase each year would be the norm. Players who have been given a talent and not being able to benefit from it. The last report I heard was that the Vic Country AFL have set salary caps at a much higher level.
So it probably fair to say that the inclusion of teams into the SAAFL is a sign that the APPS and Salary Cap are working well for them at the expense of all other country football teams but if their blue chip players start leaving it may have the reverse effect.

Ha! These "blue chip" players you're talking about have been poached to the country leagues for years. I don't think this current salary cap is going to play any bigger part in it.
And this rubbish about benefiting from this talent they have been blessed with. Please :roll:
It's probably more about the ego of the player than the actual ability. Most of the time they're living off the pre season they did with a league club, or the season of ressies they played, and never live up to the hype.
Also, we lost 2 guys from our side 5 years ago to a country league that paid them $1200/game. And these 2 guys couldn't even crack our best 21 at the time. They weren't exactly "blue chip" players.
by bird of prey
Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL Division 1 - 2017

Missing the point. Such calibre players like this are happy with a measly 400? Why come to this league when they can get plenty more elsewhere

Did the league choose this salary cap themselves or was it forced upon them
You're always going to get more money in the country than you would in Adelaide.
$400 is still a lot of money.
Not every player is interested in travelling once or twice a week for that extra cash.

Yea but most are and as a result this league shrinks deflates of calibre and all the old scholars clubs rise to div 1 (in time)
That's why if you work hard on promoting your juniors, you will always have a steady flow of good players coming through. Then when those players who have left you want to return to the city, they'll come back in as 0 pointers.
As soon as clubs realise that, it won't be just the college sides reaping the benefits. It'll be the ones that have a strong & relatively loyal culture the whole way though.
by bird of prey
Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest and smallest ovals around the state

Not even sure if seniors play on Foxfield oval or not. But if they do, then that and Ovingham have to be the smallest.
I remember doing a few preseason trainings with North Adel on Ovingham's oval about 10 years ago. We couldn't even train on it properly it was that small.

I've played on goodies oval plenty of times, and it's a bit deceptive. It's definitely bigger than it looks.
by bird of prey
Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL Division 1 - 2017

Well I'm off to the boxing tonight in a lovely corporate box through work. I will make sure I get there to see the first fight on the schedule. 'Im sure all the Goodwood supporters out there will be praying that Tucky doesn't have a repeat of his last bout.
by bird of prey
Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2017

I think you're placing too much importance on the "home game". Players couldn't give a toss where they play. I know I don't.
Unless it involves 2+ hours of travel, then it wouldn't even matter.
Plus, on the flip side. If your argument is true. Nothing better than if you are lucky enough to win an away game, and then you come home with a wet sail and play more games at your "fortress" in the 2nd half of the season.
by bird of prey
Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Life ban

The punishment no way fits the crime. I'd like to see the lead up!
Didn't this happen in the GF replay? Salisbury North thought they would assert their 'toughness' it didn't work....

This has nothing to do with the hawks asserting their toughness, the major joke is this melee started from a rocs player sling tackling a hawks player and knocking him unconscious and recieving 0 weeks but callums so called massive sling tackle to the rocs player who did the 1st tackle (getting straight back up might i add) and getting 6 games. If one bloke gets 6 why doesnt the other?
Sounds like the league has something against the poor bloke.
Please!
The sooner SN get over their "the world is against us" mentality the better.
by bird of prey
Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2017

Pretty shattering to say the least, the loss of the Modbury vs TTG match is a major blow for our club.. the behaviour and comments of the spectator were out of line, but the club has dealt with them immediately and they wont be seen around again.

its all fair to sit there and say that there has been 4 incidents in 14 months, but a couple of those were completely out of our control.. especially the person that entered the field during the melee as they had zero association or involvement with our club apart from knowing a player on that particular day.

Feel for our club president wo has worked tirelessly to try and avoid this sanction. All we can do is cop it and move on.

I have sympathy for Clubs in this situation. How can you control all fans at games? May not be a regular supporter of the Club. I think if the Match Day Official is informed, and takes immediate action by removing offenders, then this should be enough. Different story if official of Club though.

You can't control all your fans. But it doesn't mean the club shouldn't be punished.
If you punish the club based on the action of a couple of fans, then the chance of dick heads doing these sorts of actions in the future get smaller. I dare say that the "lone gunman" would be more likely to pull his head in (or not bother turning up to any more games), otherwise I'm sure the members would turn on him pretty quickly.
by bird of prey
Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2017

Poor of athelstone to leave the ground midway through medal presos
Turn it up precious.
Why the hell would you wanna stick around for that if you're the losing team? The respects and congrats are already done amongst the players, plus the coach and captain probably visit the changerooms after anyway.
by bird of prey
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Can someone explain how the AFL will benefit from paying all that extra money for the purpose of widening the salary cap gap between state league and local footy?

AFL couldn't care less about that. They would be quite happy to just continue having their U18's come through as they have been and not have the state leagues. The sooner the state leagues fall over, the afl can control it all and have their national reserves comp. they would then control all the U18's too.

AFL don't give a shit about the salary cap issue.
by bird of prey
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2018

Old Scholar teams have the best junior programs in the country. They get to play footy with each other every week for their whole education, see each other 6 days a week, some 7 if they're good friends, train every week together etc. Its just a matter of whether or not they can keep them/get them back from their clubs after school. It's not all doom and gloom for the Colleges
Appreciate that, but what sort of financial support is extended to junior sport by the old scholars?

None, which is why I believe they have the best program in the land. The school puts in all the hard yards and if the old scholars get them but then they are cheering. Unlike a, let’s say PNU who spend big amounts on their junior program for their feeder system and eventually lose half of those kids to their old scholars anyway. Think they had 9 or so junior players playing against them for ROCS in the GF this year.

Clubs like PNU don’t “spend big”on junior programs as you say. It’s the opposite. They generate more $ because of their large number of juniors.
by bird of prey
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What I do think is a little funny, is Gaza are closer to relegation than Salisbury North.

Salisbury North percentage will finish on 47.71% end of year, so unless Gaza win 1/4 and Golden Grove win 3/4, Salisbury North will finish ahead of them both.
I think it’s a little funny too. Considering we will get the win this week against SN, I find it hard to see us not winning 1 of our last 4....
by bird of prey
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Esteban Vihaio wrote:And there were people calling for Brighton to start in Div7! I would’ve put them in Div 2 in their first year. For all it’s many faults, people seem to always underestimate the SFL

Surely the recruits they’ve picked up this year have made them a much better side than last year though.....
by bird of prey
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2019

Went to watch TTG play Athelstone today. Good hit out for both sides, but if that's the standard of umpiring we can expect it's going to be a long season. Complete turnaround on tthe holding the ball interpretation. Last year we would have seen, on average about 3 or 4 holding the ball decisions paid, which was too few, but today there were about 40. It was ridiculous. Hopefully they get it right come round 1. Raggies will go alright in Div 2, Elliot look a very good player.

The over correcting of the rule is disgraceful. Was frustrating for both of our sides out there today. Some ridiculous decisions that even AFL wouldn’t have paid.
The problem was last year the umps took too long to blow the whistle for a ball up, so it lead to a lot of dangerous sling tackles and then melees.
The umps have absolutely got this interpretation wrong now. It needs to be fixed. Otherwise there is absolutely no incentive for the player going hard at the ball. May as well just let the bloke grab the ball so you can tackle him and get an easy free kick.
by bird of prey
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2019

footy chick

Sheedy announced as coach of the Eagles

How are those ankles going?

#justkidding

Yeah, the eagles.

Not the dogs as everyone was piping on about.

We were told last night.

Best of luck to him, he'll do good things there, he knows how to get the extra mile out of players and is a top bloke to boot

In all my years of playing, Sheeds was the best coach I played under (and I had played under quite a few future and former league coaches).

He will do an awesome job with the Eagles.

Glad I got the opportunity to play under him for 1 year. The whole club is very proud of him.
by bird of prey
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2020

ROCS making a statement today. Even they were 6th before today, think they are the best team in the comp and will win it from the Elimination Final. Even though Brighton had couple of their best players out today, they were horrid and will be out next week when ROCS beat them at home. Picking Goodwood Saints to be the other Grand Finalist, pretty good effort after losing first three games to end up 2nd with home Final.

Think prediction of Goodwood vs Rostrevor GF have firmed, both in great form, and with SPOC and PAC not getting home semi finals (Thebarton and Uni Ovals being used) the home ground advantage gone now.

I watched the ROCS Brighton game on Saturday. Was not surprised by the result. Brighton have that powerful trio on ball, but ROCS were far too good all over the park. They had much better and smarter ball movement, had better work rate, and were physically stronger.

Now that ROCS are full strength, I’m backing them in. And I agree with your Goodwood ROCS prediction. I reckon they are the 2 best sides.

These are 4 extremely solid teams that remain. Will be a very good few weeks of football coming up. Very high standard and will be very entertaining.
by bird of prey
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2020

Always love getting a pre finals prediction corret 8)
Gonna be hard to split these 2 sides to be honest. I think maybe Goodwood by a couple.
Will be a cracking game if the weather stays good though
by bird of prey
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League- Division 1

Interesting to observe the Glenunga juggernaut - my question is how long will the strategy continue to work and when someone turns the $tap off where will they be? League is littered with clubs with the bodies of clubs such as Greenacres, Kilburn, Woody Sth, Eastern Park etc who rode the gravy train for a period who are now down in the depths of lower grades. I seem to recall when the tap was turned off in the pandemic ban on payments Glenunga were very uncompetitive. Money it seems does not buy you loyalty or culture. Purely an observation from afar.

Glenunga are right there at the top of the list (along with Brighton) as the biggest club when looking at the number of teams (both juniors & seniors).
I tend to think this have them in a pretty good position long term.
I couldn’t see their so called gravy train finishing any time soon…
by bird of prey
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League- Division 1

I must say, I am pretty impressed by Port Dist this year as a whole. In the years I played against them, they have been mid tier at best, and have hovered around the mid tier since in Div 1 (and that’s not a knock on the club, as it’s still impressive that they have been a pretty consistent Div 1 team for a lot of years).
This is the first time in since probably 2000 (so before I started playing) that they have been a genuine premiership threat in Div 1 (and this year the favourite).
Fair effort from the club to not only build this side, but also have their B’s and C’s around the mark too. Definitely something to be proud of.
by bird of prey
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 3

Sticks28 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Pay rise?

I'm priceless ;) :lol:

On a serious note though, i think this is a matter of watch this space.

Oh that’s interesting - what club does it involve? Week before round 1 not great timing for a certain club

Nothing to worry about at Gaza either. So not sure where this rumour is going….
by bird of prey
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 3

bubba love wrote:You sure about that??

Kind of think I would know.
Wouldn’t mind you sharing what you know though….
by bird of prey
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |