Search found 20 matches

Return

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Thanks for your support Dogwatcher. At least someone read my post and understood what I was referring to. It seems that the ones from NH don't believe it was a king hit or they are too close to it. If the disputed "king hit" doesn't make my comments legit maybe I should have substituted it with "an unprovoked ( by any prior immediate act) targeted ASSAULT on a player off the ball and out of play".
by The Old Fellow
Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

Quote: "Westies won't be offered any concessions.

they will play D3 or exercise their right to stay in D4 but they won't be dropping 2 grades."

What is the difference between Brahma Lodge and Salisbury West, other than the obvious lack of people serving on the executive committee?

Has the League changed their thoughts since they set a precedent last season?
by The Old Fellow
Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

I should say I have also have no sympathy for any club who lives beyond their means.

Any club who earns promotion should have to take it, it shouldn't be optional. If they lived beyond their means to get it then the following year they should suffer if players leave.
by The Old Fellow
Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 C9AFL Div 7

Exactly: no mention of St Pauls, Flinders Uni, CU or North Pines in this discussion

Why do these clubs need to be mentioned in this subject. All very middle of the road teams in div 7, at best. So what if they are "A" grade teams playing some "C" grade teams. Results so far show that they are in their true , correct grade. Don't think any of them have asked to be demoted multiple grades. St P its their 2nd season, both in div 7. FU have been in the bottom grade for seasons, even only having one team a few seasons ago and have rebuilt to 2 teams and having their best season for many. CU finished bottom of div 6 last seaon and got relegated. NP similar to FU only having one side last year.
by The Old Fellow
Thu May 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Footy Chick wrote:Jamie Jarman has been appointed A grade coach of Central United for 2017 - Good pick for the Units, he'll do good things there.

Who's their kicking coach, not the jam jar as he couldn't kick over one
by The Old Fellow
Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

The bar turns over about $220k a year, if not more and *just* breaks even. When I looked at the MYOB database I calculated that football provides, conservatively, about 65% of that revenue. Approx 50% goes in employee costs - wages, insurance, annual leave, super etc. My very strong position is that for 6 months of the year during footy season that bar should be run using volunteers of the football club and the profits after costs of sales returned to the football club.

I'll do the math: (220*0.65)*0.5=71.5

What number have you tried to calculate?
Are you saying $71,500 would be the profit if the footy club ran the bar using volunteers?
Need to also look at utility costs

You mention that the turn over is $220k pa, Footy club generate about 65%, if 50% goes on employee costs once you take into the cost of the stock you sell you are in a loss situation.

Calculation should be more like turnover of $220k at 100% mark up = $110k profit as your starting point not $220k
by The Old Fellow
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

A couple of records broken so far in the Grade 1 PDCA Comp. Virginia CC 226 opening partnership between Shaun Lay and Ashley Nicholas. Craigmore CC also broke a record a few weeks back for the 5th wicket partnership of 208 between the Parker brothers.

By all reports Shaun Lay hit some pretty big balls on Saturday and brought up his 50 in the 6th over.

The Bedge or Lightning McQueen might know some pre MyCricket records that could overshadow these partnerships in Grade 1

Previous grade 1 record opening stand was 223 by Callaghan and Dawe from Salisbury North vs Para Teachers back in 1999/2000. Fifth wicket record for grade 1 is 229 (Para Teachers Tomkins and Bell) vs Smithfield back in 88/89.
by The Old Fellow
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C Grade 2019

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I appreciate your support but I now think we are wrong. :oops: :oops:

Well, fair to say really f***ed that one up haha!

Thanks Bedge and LM. I will accept your apology.
by The Old Fellow
Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

I've also heard plenty of comments like "If he was from Salisbury West or North he would've got double..."

Let's review the last suspension from SW:

Jones received three suspensions for striking, one for 10 weeks (by knee) , a second for six weeks (by knee) and a third for an elbow. He also received three games for attempting to trip, while a stomping charge was dismissed.

10 weeks for a knee to the face of the TOS player which broke his jaw.. same same if you ask me.. might even use the word consistent.

The league has been consistent I don't think you can pose an argument any other way.

My argument is that 8-10 games suspension for a blatant king hit is not being seen as a deterrent and continues to happen on far to many occasions.

You go out on a football field you expect you may cop a high hip and shoulder, you know you might accidently cop a knee in the back in a marking contest, you know occasionally you might get a kick in danger to the hands, you may accidently knock heads.

I don't think anyone should have expect to be belted behind play whilst looking at the footy.

Coming from left field maybe the tribunal should consider a penalty of so many games to be served after the injured player resumes playing (plus being suspended while the injured player is unable to play) depending on the severity of the offence and the injury. This way the offender can not start playing before the injured player recommences.
by The Old Fellow
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Woody had stated before that he wouldn't play against the Units and as they gained promotion it looks like he is keeping to his word.
by The Old Fellow
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PDCA umpired by a pack of yahoos who think the game is about them!?!

How on earth does a club hit MORE runs than the opposition and then lose the game because an umpire decides to apply "penalty runs".

What a disgrace... fancy punishing a whole side over what? An umpire forgetting its not about them?!?

Is it the umpires fault for following the Laws of the game or is it the players fault for acting and/or making comment in breach of the Laws? The penalty runs are given at the time of the offence so unless it was the last wicket the batting team knows where they stand.

Assuming you where not there like me its all hear say what the player did or said. Umpires like all people have different tolerance levels so some will be quicker to act than others.

Your comment 'PDCA is umpired by a pack of yahoos who think the game is about them' - how many umpires have you had this season and how many of them have actually umpired that way? It is a huge general statement. I would always rather have a neutral umpire than the opposition umpire especially if they bat second.

I was there, the umpire is a cheat who was probably paid off by the opposition.
In fact I seen him paid off, he asked for more than was originally offered

I am glad you were there as you also wrote in the first person that you were also watching your beloved Hornets in the ATCA, PHCC verses PAOC where Tyson dropped a catch and a few batsmen on both sides had good entertaining innings and you had a drink or three after the match with the PAOC boys. Glad you enjoyed both matches!!!
by The Old Fellow
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 7

Demon Juke wrote:
PortPower2018 wrote:Brahma Lodge Vs Central United Massive Game for me the best teams in div7

You like to mention Brahma a lot for a bloke from Kenilworth :D

And played for Brahma ones on Saturday, one of the many clubs he has played at.
by The Old Fellow
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

I am sure that all club would prefer to have juniors as they are the life line of a club. As you say the stumbling points are get volunteers and some of the older areas do have a problem in getting junior players. Clubs in some of the newer areas should be blessed with juniors over the coming years.

The Association have been offering heavily subsided or free training for various things for over 10 years and they still have to cancel sessions due to lack of numbers. The Association again for over 10 years have given clubs a 50% subsidy on all affiliation fees. It costs a club under $40 to field a junior team. Other incentives have been offered to field more junior teams from time to time with no success. Clubs have been given a number of free balls per season again for the last decade. Occasionally clubs are supplied other equipment such as sets of stumps, counters and helmets.

SACA do have development officers who are there to assist associations. Maybe more help can come from that area. Also some clubs can be their own worse enemy and may need to structure a plan for their future which has to to include junior cricket. Some clubs have been successful in their growth. Look at Enfield and North Pines while maintaining the seniors or even growing them have established more junior and womens teams.
by The Old Fellow
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure there has been to many better juniors in their time. I used to occasionaly play a grade up and shit myself whenever he hit the ball in my direction.

He was CU junior??? along with Scott Christie
Yeah, won a 14's premiership for memory with the team scoring 128, he managed a ton himself out of that.

He was Unit junior and then repaid them by hitting a double ton against them when he was playing for Smithfield.
by The Old Fellow
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which grade clubs should go?

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Bedge wrote:If you dramatically reduce the number of grade clubs, do you run the risk of losing more players to the game of cricket in general?

Possibly but that's not grade cricket's role

But it SACA's role. It's all based on numbers.
by The Old Fellow
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Did you buy a beer?

Be rude not to :lol:

Well that's why they kept you around :lol:

$5 a beer is pretty good going though.

And he didn't only buy one beer that day. If play got underway that day would have been interesting to see how most of the players handled it after a few.
by The Old Fellow
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This comp is deadset so ******* unorganised and all over the shop it's not funny.

Delegates meeting last night - now decided it's pink 156g balls in Grade 1 and Grade 2 one day matches.. oh wait that's not enough, let's make it 2x balls one from each end like it's ******* Australian ODI cricket.

So I go out and buy all my balls pre-season in bulk, now you're telling me i'm gonna have to fork out another $700 or whatever just for aesthetics?!

Grade 1 and 2 grading next year apparently will be "lucky dip" draw.. Junior rep trials moved out to Gawler - really useful for the clubs closer to the city..

Chop, change, move shit around.. yet keep the most stupid archaic of rules like not allowed to turn lights on for evening games.. i've got lights graded high enough to play mens premier cricket on, but they're not good enough for kids or women who bowl a whopping 40kph and bounce the ball three times.

Jacked the umpire fees up to $150 this season.. now the pink balls.. idiots think clubs are made of ******* money?!

A Grade costs per week:
$150 - Umpire
$62 - Pink Balls
$73.50 - Ground hire

Total: 285.50 - $26 per player = $520 per player each week for a 20 week season.

Add on affiliation fees, and PlayHQ insurance cost $22.50 - oh and then don't worry about factoring in the mountains of fines you're likely to accrue during the season.

Get ******. This comp is deadset so ******* unorganised and all over the shop it's not funny.

Delegates meeting last night - now decided it's pink 156g balls in Grade 1 and Grade 2 one day matches.. oh wait that's not enough, let's make it 2x balls one from each end like it's ******* Australian ODI cricket.

So I go out and buy all my balls pre-season in bulk, now you're telling me i'm gonna have to fork out another $700 or whatever just for aesthetics?!

Grade 1 and 2 grading next year apparently will be "lucky dip" draw.. Junior rep trials moved out to Gawler - really useful for the clubs closer to the city..

Chop, change, move shit around.. yet keep the most stupid archaic of rules like not allowed to turn lights on for evening games.. i've got lights graded high enough to play mens premier cricket on, but they're not good enough for kids or women who bowl a whopping 40kph and bounce the ball three times.

Jacked the umpire fees up to $150 this season.. now the pink balls.. idiots think clubs are made of ******* money?!

A Grade costs per week:
$150 - Umpire
$62 - Pink Balls
$73.50 - Ground hire

Total: 285.50 - $26 per player = $520 per player each week for a 20 week season.

Add on affiliation fees, and PlayHQ insurance cost $22.50 - oh and then don't worry about factoring in the mountains of fines you're likely to accrue during the season.

Get ******. Couldn't attend last night due to my daughters year 12 graduation and sounds like I missed a real messy one!

I know there has been confusion between the initial concept of a crossover Grade 1/2 one day comp where captains were all enthusiastic about
allowing clubs to play in a coloured kit and use a pink ball to where that got scrapped by clubs and the rest of the concepts got a bit lost in translation. And for Enfield being at G3 during those talks does make it quite unfair for you.

It certainly doesn’t help that some delegates don’t exactly feed back to their Captains what is discussed as well.

Communication isnt great within the exec either. Personally frustrating if I am being honest, Im a big believer in transparency and that’s why I am always happy to come in here and explain rationale for decisions and take on board peoples thoughts.

I know nothing about this ‘lucky dip’ draw your talking about so cant even comment!

Would love to have a good chat with you offline one day about your thoughts on what the next generation of the PDCA needs to look like to stay relevant and survive the next 20 years.

Can't understand how and why delegates can change things mid season when there is no need. Why change to pink balls, 1 from each end, when everyone should be playing in whites, although I heard on the grape-vine that 1 team played in black in one round? Agree with BE that with the lack of communication, I wonder how many clubs had discussed it or was it was a gut feel decision by the delegate on the night?

Also agree with Bedge all unnecessary expense, although he has slightly exaggerated costs as the A Grade don't play 20 one day games and only pay 1/2 of the umpire fee, but definately understand where he is coming from. Need to look at the other positive thou as at the AGM the exec sold the increase in umpire fees as they said the standard of umpires would increase dramatically and with the increase umpire numbers there would be 2 umpires for each game in grades 1 and 2, so with only one umpire still you are saving the cost of one umpire. It is another story but what is your feedback on the umpiring this season. Wonder how umpires are picked per grade when clubs can't lodge umpire reports. Be thankful that you are not in Salisbury West's position where they are in grades1 and 2 with no real club house.

Cross over between grades 1 and 2 for 1 day games would always be a hard sell as teams play grade 2 as they are not good enough to play grade 1. Captains may have been enthusiastic, but again with lack of communication within a lot a clubs was it a 1 person response or the club actually discussed it?

" Communication isnt great within the exec either. Personally frustrating if I am being honest, Im a big believer in transparency and that’s why I am always happy to come in here and explain rationale for decisions and take on board peoples thoughts." Exec need to come from a united front with one voice delivering it, most probably Clarko as secretary, as the more mouths which try to deliver the message, the message starts to vary. Always has been a problem. Transparency is key so that all know what is happening and why as it is the clubs' association and the exec are purely elected to run it on behalf of the clubs. Thats why anything which requires a vote by the clubs should be communicated to the clubs weeks before a decision is required, similar to how most things are done at the AGM.
by The Old Fellow
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ASCA

There have recently been some rumblings of amendments to the playing season based on clubs player availability and aging demographics. Additional to this, there were suggestions of weeks off throughout the season for things like the Adelaide test match. I think since the pandemic, more people are inclined to want to miss weekends of cricket for events like this, and I think it's possible to add that weekend off to our schedule.

This competition remains unique from a hard wicket perspective, with most other associations opting to become primarily one day cricket comps. I feel that we should lean in to what we do, and embrace two day cricket, rather than shifting to one day cricket. Therefore, I am suggesting that each team plays eachother once throughout the season in a two day game, with no one day games in between (unless there is a heat/rain effected first day where this would then become the only option). This adds higher stakes to each result and will mean the ladder at the end of a season will be tighter than they've ever been. With this in mind, I feel the association should allow cross section slash players, meaning a player could play week 1 in section 3, and week 2 in section 1, or vice versa.

Further changes to the schedule would include a weekend long T20 carnival in December to get clubs playing 2-3 of their T20 round robin games in a single weekend. This is at the same time as the T20 Big Bash League and around school holiday time. This will also mean less need to source grounds mid week and will allow some clubs who may not have the facilities available on week night to then join the competition.

I would also recommend the association approach the Fleurieu & Districts Cricket board and request inclusion in the Meyer Shield association competition. Either this, or approaching ATCA and re-establishing a yearly Association match. This can be factored in to future fixturing.

Regular season finals structure should take a similar approach to how the BBL function, with the below structure:

Beginning with the Eliminator, the sides that finish fourth and fifth will clash in a 'win or go home' match, with the loser eliminated and the winner proceeding to the Knockout.

The Knockout will see the third-placed side clash with the winner of the Eliminator, with the loser of the Knockout eliminated from the running and the winner progressing.

Prior to the Knockout, the Qualifier between the top two sides will take place, with the winner moving straight into the Final.

The loser of the Qualifier will then face the winner of the Knockout in the second last final of the series, the Challenger.

The Challenger will then decide which club will join the winner of the Qualifier in the Final, with the victor moving on to the deciding match while the loser will be eliminated.

The Final will be hosted by the side that won the Qualifier, with all other finals to be hosted by the highest-seeded side.

Below is how the regular season would look:

Round 1
14 & 21 October

Round 2
28 October & 4 November

Round 3
11 & 18 November

Round 4
25 November & 2 December

OFF
9 December (Test Match Weekend)

ASCA T20 SMASH
16 & 17 December

Round 5
6 January & 13 January

OFF
20 January (Meyer Shield/Association Weekend)

Round 6
27 January & 3 February

Round 7
10 February & 17 February

Round 8
24 February & 2 March

Finals Week 1
9 March & 10 March

Finals Week 2
16 March & 17 March

Finals Week 3
23 March & 24 March

Keen to hear some thoughts.

For older players it is easier to play one day cricket than 2 day cricket. The toll on the body is from fielding and bowling for a complete day while with one day cricket you only need to do it for half a day - a lot easier on the body.

More and more players are starting to favour one day cricket. The assocation needs to take this into account. Keep in mind its the player who play, not the administrators. Have you got a crystal ball to know how the premiership table will look at the end of the season. The table will look like it does depending on how the teams perform during the season.

Players play in one game at a time, not week one in one section and then the second half in another game. If they start to do this it will make many more things difficult such as finals selection. Having players play two half matches you are hoping that they influence the result of the lower section match. Is that fair to all and within the spirit of the game?

You say play everyone once in a two day game, but you have 8 minor rounds. How many teams are going to be in each section?

Your proposal has round 4 finishing on the 2 Dec and if a player isn't playing in the T20's their next game is 6 January and then have another week off before starting the next game on a long week end. That is potentially 1 game in 7 weeks.

Keep the 7 and 7 format . It is a good mix for all. Remember that it was all two day cricket a number of seasons ago. Why was it changed? you want to go back to the past. I believe your idea is good for people who only want to play cricket when they have nothing better to do. Is that what the association wants? I don't think so.
by The Old Fellow
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Permits - the age old debate

Easy solution. No permits are issued, irrelevant if it is round 1 or finals. Then there are no grey areas or clubs pleading for an out. It is up to the club to manage their players and not go cap in hand to the permit committee when they fail to do so. Then everyone knows where they stand.
You may get the hard luck story but you get them wherever. This way there is no favouritism and the club the player plays for or the opposition can't scream foul.
by The Old Fellow
Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Permits - the age old debate

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the illustrious leader was caught out doing something Wong on the weekend
Player W played B grade round 1 / 16 / 17 / 18, played A grade every round from 2-15, does he play B grade finals if A grade are out?

Surely not - I don't know the permit/rules well enough but I think he shouldn't be able to play B grade is my personal opinion. Playing 14 A grade games & Only 4 B grade games seem like you shouldn't be able to play.

Yep it's correct. Rumour has it the Scotch footy director and President had lunch with the League Pres and then he overruled the permit committee who had originally declined the permit. Said player Played 14 A grade games throughout the year as well. I believe the Pres sent out a memo justifying his actions of overturning the declined permit.

And this is why permits should NOT exist. Stops any rumours whether proven correct or not. Mud sticks. As I have said before it is up to the clubs to ensure their players qualify. If a player qualifies as per the rules they play, if they don't they don't.
by The Old Fellow
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |