Search found 40 matches

Return

Re: Benson resigns at Sturt

sjt wrote:How many of "these guys" voted yes and have now resigned? Is it three of the six?

Zero.
It is the presidents who vote.
Presidents are the leaders of the board. CEOs are merely employees.
by SANFLnut
Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

smac wrote:Will Sturt pay the transfer fee for Giles to Centrals before paying the ones to Port this season?

Will Centrals be taken seriously by anyone if they poach players by offering them way more money than their current club is paying them and then ask that same club for a discount on the transfer fee?
by SANFLnut
Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves

The reason the Crows don't have home games is that they did not want them. They should have been forced to have them and been like every other club and incur the costs that go with them. Instead they play away and their supporters don't have to pay to get in. As usual they try and make it sound like they are doing everyone else a favour.
by SANFLnut
Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

People will see this as me Crow-bashing....but, clearly Port's set-up was considered and has, from the start, been taking the competition into account.

dedja and plenty of other posters think the Magpies will have no real focus on the SANFL season, I truly think they will. Having spoken to several people close to the groups, the Magpies side is set for a big year and has some certainty about the structure.

Adelaides is shambolic at best and diabolical at worst. Potentially they could be contacting players and clubs midweek between games looking for top-up players. I can see that set-up being laughable mid-season.

Adelaide's set up is shambolic and/or diabolical. Adelaide's process of recruiting country players has prevented a few of these from doing full pre seasons with SANFL clubs.

Port have not tried to do the right thing by the competition. Port have tried to the right thing by Port. Self interest is not benevolence. They will continue to try and argue they should keep a structure that clearly gives them an advantage beyond this season.
by SANFLnut
Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood 2014

Bombers4EVA wrote:Hey Footy Warrior how long you been at Cobby for?

This is not e-harmony
by SANFLnut
Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port (Power Reserves) 2014

RustyCage wrote:He played in the reserves on the weekend.

In the power's reserves in the league or in the power's reserves reserves in the reserves?
by SANFLnut
Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 2 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Envestra Park (Sat 11/4)

Any sign of the promotional bonanza in Sturt's zone that was promised? I recall someone saying there was nothing prior to the North game. Keep an eye out......
by SANFLnut
Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

LEH wrote:And no Crow-a-metre on the scoreboard

Please get a travelling one and take it to all the Crows SANFL games. Right now it would register about 2/100 when they score a goal.
by SANFLnut
Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of the SANFL

Near enough to 20,000 people attending 2 games today.

Bottom and winless SANFL side beat AFL reserves side.

Future of competition looks Ok.

Once Port have a proper set up like the Crows then this comp will be stronger.
by SANFLnut
Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of the 1st Qtr

Loved the comment that the 8 genuine clubs are on an even playing field. If the Commission had got Port's entry conditions correct (ie. the same as Crows) then this could have been a real positive for SANFL. To allow Port to retain so many league players and then recruit other highly experienced players by fudging the rules is such a shame and demonstrates weak leadership.
by SANFLnut
Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - Port Magpies v Sturt @ Alberton (Sun 11/5)

The amount of whinging about Port Adelaide is unbeleivable It gives clubs and ideal target for where clubs should be The SANFL needs to have clubs acheive that level to ensure we remain a viable competition not go backwards. Do the work required crows side on the weekend had more AFL listed players in thier side but because they lost not a word said The calibre of playerssmith walker rutten ottens thompson etc Please lets make the sanfl survive and not end up like the WAFL

This is so true. I can't believe all of the other SANFL clubs haven't stepped up to Ports level. The sooner they all go and recruit 15 AFL players and not include their payments in the salary cap the better. If they could then dodge up the payments they do count by shuffling them off into their 2018 salary cap while using employment within the club as a further way to manipulate their team structure then the SANFL will finally be getting somewhere.

I hope Sturt win the game.
by SANFLnut
Wed May 07, 2014 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - South v Norwood @ Hickinbotham (Sat N 10/5)

fester69 wrote:We'll pi$$ it in, 40+.

You are obviously planning on South scoring -6 then?
by SANFLnut
Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

At last count South have 2 players injured gone for the year, and another 5 injured who would be walk up starts if fit. Also 3-4 others who are injured who would be handy replacements. South do not have the rehab facilities or expert sports med budget of an AFL club either.
At last count Port will have 15 AFL listed, fulltime professional players playing on Saturday, who train or play 7 days a week. I saw a couple of South players digging a trench yesterday.. before racing off to do a 2 hr hour training session last night, others are studying or working fulltime.They werent busy doing skills work running around witches hats, doing rehab or weights or honing their understanding of the game plan.

This years SANFL season is absolutely ludicrous. It is a grossly uneven competition. The clubs that voted for this diabolical shambles should hang their collective heads in shame. The SANFL commission is a disgrace for even contemplating this debacle.....

Having said that... I think South will take it right up to Port.
For those who havent twigged yet, this South Adelaide team ,its vastly different to the inept whipping boys of the past...

Their own team's grave for weekend?
Maybe dig a firebreak across the half forward line to slow down Port's scoring?
by SANFLnut
Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg's New Recruit

I think you'll find he is actually playing each week that the Glenelg schedule doesn't clash (possibly at Tailem Bend?)

In addition to being Football Manager, Reserves Coach, League Runner and SANFL state team assistant coach & selector that is.

Fairly full schedule.....
by SANFLnut
Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foxtel Cup 2014

Another SANFL Foxtel Cup schemozzle. Bugs me that the rest of the country sees our comp this way. These games will get more publicity than this weeks state game. Either try or don't enter it, one or the other. Yes, applies to Westies too
by SANFLnut
Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Sturt v Norwood - Post Game

I'm simply relying on SANFL website from 3rd quarter. I've seen plenty of SANFL games where the umpiring blatantly favours one side and then after the damage is done mysteriously swings back to end up less statistically significant. Wouldn't rule it out......
by SANFLnut
Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Port v Eagles- Post game

I think Flynn & Clinch incidents were assessed by the tribunal as being worth a similar number of points before the good/bad record adjustment was applied. Clinch can't argue that he has a bad record, Flynn is lucky to get credit gor a good one if he gets suspended inside his first 10 games. Should have to play 50 games of juniors/reserves/seniors before you qualify for a discount - should just be neutral until then.
by SANFLnut
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt taking the piss?

Port started it
by SANFLnut
Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

Tell them to host a home game then. Won't have to come into someone else's club rooms and try and mingle with their supporters. They could hold their after match function in a bus shelter with the 5 fans they currently draw to an SANFL game.
by SANFLnut
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

Appeared on TV that Port were on the good end of the worst 10 umpiring decisions of the day. Thought they were very stiff from that point of view.
by SANFLnut
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Glenelg v Eagles @ Gliderol (Sun 6/7)

Scores level at the moment., Glenelg 0 Eagles 0.
by SANFLnut
Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

Who were Sturt's best?

Kirkwood and Beard?

Again?

You are aware that there are more former Sturt juniors on Port's AFL list than former Port juniors on Sturt's list aren't you?
How many "one club" juniors are on your AFL list? Is this number greater than, less than or equal to the number of Sturt juniors?
by SANFLnut
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 - Port v North @ Alberton Oval (Sat 12/7)

redden whites wrote:thank heavens i was there. what a day.

Well done gor turning up. Goes to show that
A)on the day anything can happen
B) North are not that bad
C) Port are not indestructible
D) Fans should always show up and hope
by SANFLnut
Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Average and median crowd figures to Round 13

Alright, time for an update; the last 5 seasons are:

Year Avg, Median
2010 3260 3053 (to Rd 17, 66 matches)
2011 3302 2895 (to Rd 16, 62 matches)
2012 3003 2534 (to Rd 17, 64 matches)
2013 2725 2553 (to Rd 16, 63 matches)
2014 2888 2393 (to Rd 13, 65 matches)

Am I correct in saying that:
2013 is 4 games x about 2550 = 10200 per week
2014 is 5 games x about 2400 = 12000 per week
??

Realised I multiplied by the median rather than the average. Using the average the figures are:

2013: 4 x 2725 = 11,000 per week MOST WEEKS
2014: 5 x 2888 = 14, 440 per week MOST WEEKS
Weekly increase of 3440.

I find this very surprising. It is disturbingly close to the magic number bandied around earlier.........
by SANFLnut
Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Double header at Adelaide oval

Love the 4 games back to back at Adelaide Oval idea as a season launch. Could probably hold the first one off until 11am and still get a night game in at 7pm. Reduce the entry fee or refund it if you buy a membership on the day. Could drag an extra 5-10k people to an early SANFL round and hook them on our product. Schedule it on an AFL free weekend. Great suggestion.
by SANFLnut
Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

No surprise to read above that Summerton, Bruggeman, Krakouer, Slattery, Haren had an impact on the result.
by SANFLnut
Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Could be a massive promotional boost for SANFL if they slot it into the AFL week off before the start of the season. Even let Port & Crows sit out for the week and catch up their game later in one of the split rounds. Would get plenty of media coverage, clubs could get a stack of kids along to play mini league games, let each SANFL club sell off a corporate box, entice Adelaide Oval members, sell naming rights sponsorship for the day. On a non-AFL footy week I'd expect an average of 3000 people at each of the four games as a bare minimum, get a few thousand more because of Adeaide oval, a few thousand from media/promotion etc. and you could easily get 20k through the gates. That would generate more members for clubs, positive media coverage and a great advertisement for potential sponsors.

Would be great to see SANFL comp get something out of Adelaide Oval like this.

Do something!!
by SANFLnut
Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: round 18 South vs Sturt 2014

Yep, if the score line is Sturt 55.20.350 to South 7.3.45 AND Port lose to Glenelg THEN Sturt could finish top. Likely
by SANFLnut
Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

As a neutral observer this has a bit of "team of champions" vs "champion team" about it, particularly interesting that A couple of ex-panthers are as critical to the outcome as anyone else. (Team of better than average vs better than average team?)

South have developed a better system than Eagles and getting more out of their bottom 10 players. Eagles have still got some absolute match winners and their forwards of Grocke, Ainger, Wundke, Mcgregor could blow the game wide open. South have some top shelf players in Brooksby, Cross, Liddle, Eddy too, but not sure any of them are In the "win the game off your own boot out of nothing" category.

South have been better team and more consistent over last two months, Eagles still capable of one out of the box. Good neutral viewing I reckon.
by SANFLnut
Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - Port v Norwood @ Adelaide Oval (Sat 6/9

Assume the Magpies are wearing Power guernseys this week to avoid a clash with Norwood and to honour the club that they were spawned from?
by SANFLnut
Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magpies - Rules for Selection Eligibility in SANFL final

I can't believe people are suggesting that the Magpies are not fair dinkum about winning , just because they are resting Newton and Mitchell this week.

Didn't these people see that they also left out John Butcher?
by SANFLnut
Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

If drawing a crowd and getting media coverage were genuine goals for the SANFL then they would not have programmed the GF on AFL prelim weekend in preference to a long weekend free of any AFL.

But 2 new teams that asked to join the comp wanted it that way? Oh sorry, excellent reason to abandon a set up that was clearly working well.
by SANFLnut
Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You would get 20,000 easy.

Could get more with proper promotion on an AFL free weekend. I'd be happy to cut ticket price or make it free for all club members just to boost numbers and expose the product.
by SANFLnut
Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Summerton is excellent value at $400 a game.
Butcher is a waste of money at $400k a year
by SANFLnut
Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Is Sturt still Sturt, or are they now "Stort" and making plans to wear a double blue prison bar guernsey?
With the number of ex Glenelg players appearing at Sturt in recent years, they ought to be wearing Zero Wing fighter pilot regalia... "All your Bays are belong to us".

The Sturt junior program must be something to behold. They just keep getting senior players from a handful of other SANFL clubs. "Stortelg" maybe?

Quick scan of Norwood's GF team and there's Dawe,Newton, Davis, Phillips, Wilson, Bode, Mcguiness, Baulderstone, Bartlett, Allan who are definitely recruits that didn't come through Norwood's juniors and there is probably more.

Norwood 10/21recruits = 11/21 from juniors = 52% juniors
Sturt 17 juniors out of 30 according to above = 57% juniors

Not quite an apples v apples comparison but it's worth considering some facts before throwing stones from the inside of the glasshouse. I would think a successful SANFL side would rarely be too far outside these figures despite perceptions of opposition supporters.
by SANFLnut
Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 1 - Norwood v Sturt @ Coopers Stadium (Thur N 2/4)

Umpires doing there best to keep Sturt in it, disgraceful!

Not how I saw it. Worst 4 decisions tonight:

1. Sturt player (Hansen?) copped contact from front in marking contest. Play on until he had to be stretchered off. No free.
2. Sturt player clearly kneed in the head just outside defensive goal square, Norwood goal results
3. Two Sturt players clash heads and somehow a Sturt free kick. Sturt point.
4. Newton drops his opponent to ground off the ball and umpire ignores it (If it's caught on video he could get games), Norwood goal to Davis

I thought Norwood clearly had the rub of the umps in first half and then probably Sturt after half time. The obvious and painful ones hurt Sturt more on my opinion.

Umps did at least let most things go.

Sturt won the rucks.
Norwood mids won more ball.
Sturt forward line gave nothing in first half.
Norwood looked shaky and worried at times, but Sturt didn't take their chances to hurt them on scoreboard.
Norwood made more errors than usual but Sturt made more errors than Norwood did.
Both sides are quality sides and will be up near the top again.
by SANFLnut
Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL investigating new state league championship?

It is so sad that the AFL have such little respect for anything other than their own competition and own interests. How about plowing some genuine dollars into SANFL clubs and assisting them with taking the game to the people? State league clubs coming to MCG so the gravy-trainers can pat themselves on the back and watch from the corporate dining room does nothing for football in this state. Fund a development coach at each of the nine clubs, make underage programmes free at SANFL clubs, subsidise entry at games to spread the word, give grants to clubs to improve training facilities or technology but please don't patronise us by restricting our genuine, worthy competition so we can come and play to amuse you and fill your TV slots in AFL finals time.
by SANFLnut
Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

Just hope we learn from a couple of weeks ago! Slow and steady = lose first half, fast & attacking = win second half. Tough task to play expansive and attacking footy against best defensive team in comp, but reward is there if we do.
by SANFLnut
Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who will coach Sturt ?

Bounce of the ball wrote:Have heard some interesting stories with this job. Not who will get it but how it will be done.

Would you care to share any of those stories here? That's kind of the point.
by SANFLnut
Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rule Changes for 2016

If sides can't run as far due to the new interchange rules, then isn't thee just as good a chance that we get loose men in defence just staying there (I.e. Flooding) rather than pushing up hand joining in attack too? If we make sides choose between attack or defence there is no guarantee that they choose attack. Game could be less open, with less 1 v 1 as a result.

New skill in the game is now to make sure your kick/handball is partly smothered as it goes out, or even better if you can tap the ball or hand pass it on to an opponents leg and then pick up the free kick.
by SANFLnut
Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |