AFL Reserves Discussion...

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Are you in favour of the proposal for the Crows Reserves to join the SANFL League competition?

Yes
17%
No
74%
Not fussed either way
9%

Total votes : 201

Re: AFL Reserves Discussion...

Postby Aerie » Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 am

whufc wrote:
Tassie Blues wrote:Lots of talk about not going to the football if crows/power have a reserves side in the SANFL but I wonder how many West Torrens and Woodville supporters were also going to stop going to the football if they merged……

Judging by their attendances a fair few did stop going.

Yeah, there would have been heaps that were lost to the SANFL. I may be wrong, but hypothetically if West Torrens continued alone and had the success that WWT have had, I reckon their crowds would be equivalent to a club like Sturt or Glenelg come finals time. In their prime from the 20's through to the mid 60's WT were one of the strongest crowd drawing clubs.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby whufc » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 am

Aerie wrote:
whufc wrote:
Tassie Blues wrote:Lots of talk about not going to the football if crows/power have a reserves side in the SANFL but I wonder how many West Torrens and Woodville supporters were also going to stop going to the football if they merged……

Yeah, there would have been heaps that were lost to the SANFL. I may be wrong, but hypothetically if West Torrens continued alone and had the success that WWT have had, I reckon their crowds would be equivalent to a club like Sturt or Glenelg come finals time. In their prime from the 20's through to the mid 60's WT were one of the strongest crowd drawing clubs.

Yeah what i was thinking is that pre merger you would have thought between West Torrens and Woodville they would have had more supporters than say Centrals, West or a South for example.

Despite brilliant on field results since the merger at a guess you would say the Eagles have a smaller following than Centrals, on par with West and more than South.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 30, 2013 1:45 am

Aerie wrote:
whufc wrote:

Yep, it's true. My mum grew up around Thebarton and both her brothers were Torrens boys. She doesn't like footy at all but she used to get excited when Torrens had a home game because the streets around the oval would become choked with cars and foot traffic. The stories I used to hear seemed out of place growing up in the footy atmosphere of the 80's which was all Port, Norwood, Glenelg and Sturt, but clearly there was a different rege back then and Torrens were a club of influence. I imagine there'd have been thousands of sleeper supporters who would've stormed back in droves if the Eagles success was actually solely Torrens's and not amalgamated with Woodville.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 am

therisingblues wrote:Yep, it's true. My mum grew up around Thebarton and both her brothers were Torrens boys. She doesn't like footy at all but she used to get excited when Torrens had a home game because the streets around the oval would become choked with cars and foot traffic. The stories I used to hear seemed out of place growing up in the footy atmosphere of the 80's which was all Port, Norwood, Glenelg and Sturt, but clearly there was a different rege back then and Torrens were a club of influence. I imagine there'd have been thousands of sleeper supporters who would've stormed back in droves if the Eagles success was actually solely Torrens's and not amalgamated with Woodville.

Insofar as it is possible to storm anywhere on a gopher or other mobility assistance device. Not having a go, just saying that most of Torrens' latent support would be of the age where gathering around the wireless in the day room would be preferred to actually attending a game.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby on the rails » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am

My "mail" is that (as I have said previously) none of the 8 SANFL Clubs will vote for any option of the AFL clubs playing in the League Comp, despite some misguided quotes in the media - nto helped by Godden's stupid comments a few weeks back! The SANFL is fully aware of that even though there has been no "formal" vote as such. The clubs have said that they would look at an option of them fielding sides in the Reserves comp if and only if a number of issues that the clubs have raised are adressed in full as part of the proposal. One of those issues is where do "top up" players come from? To date neither the Crows or Power have given any concrete option to indicate a solution to that and there in lies a massive hurdle if they want to filed stand alone Reserves Teams in any comp - within SA or outside.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am

on the rails wrote:My "mail" is that (as I have said previously) none of the 8 SANFL Clubs will vote for any option of the AFL clubs playing in the League Comp, despite some misguided quotes in the media - nto helped by Godden's stupid comments a few weeks back! The SANFL is fully aware of that even though there has been no "formal" vote as such. The clubs have said that they would look at an option of them fielding sides in the Reserves comp if and only if a number of issues that the clubs have raised are adressed in full as part of the proposal. One of those issues is where do "top up" players come from? To date neither the Crows or Power have given any concrete option to indicate a solution to that and there in lies a massive hurdle if they want to filed stand alone Reserves Teams in any comp - within SA or outside.

This is true.
Any player on a SANFL list at any age group should not be allowed to be taken.
That leaves ammos and country footy, id think without a decent financial incetive they would get too many of these interested either
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3559 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 am

If the Crows and Power were in the SANFL league, then I'd still attend Eagles v SANFL club games, but seeing as I can only get to a few minor round games a year, it probably doesn't mean much one way or the other.

Still think a viable compromise would be SANFL reserves, with top-up players coming from undrafted u/18's who become a Crow or Power player for that year, but if undrafted after that, are still tied to their SANFL club. Power and Crows get the advantage of looking at players without having to take a gamble eg Nick Joyce, SANFL clubs aren't unduly affected by losing one or two fringe players for a year.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Thu May 30, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 am

Pseudo wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Yep, it's true. My mum grew up around Thebarton and both her brothers were Torrens boys. She doesn't like footy at all but she used to get excited when Torrens had a home game because the streets around the oval would become choked with cars and foot traffic. The stories I used to hear seemed out of place growing up in the footy atmosphere of the 80's which was all Port, Norwood, Glenelg and Sturt, but clearly there was a different rege back then and Torrens were a club of influence. I imagine there'd have been thousands of sleeper supporters who would've stormed back in droves if the Eagles success was actually solely Torrens's and not amalgamated with Woodville.

Insofar as it is possible to storm anywhere on a gopher or other mobility assistance device. Not having a go, just saying that most of Torrens' latent support would be of the age where gathering around the wireless in the day room would be preferred to actually attending a game.

:lol:
True now, but 20 years ago if the 50-60 year olds (at the time) kept going, it may have kept the next generations going along too.
Out of the merger, the one disappointment is, given our reasonable on-field success and over the last 15 years what seems good off-field set-up, we haven't been able to keep even a middle-of-the-road supporter base.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lynwood » Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 am

FlyingHigh wrote:If the Crows and Power were in the SANFL league, then I'd still attend Eagles v SANFL club games, but seeing as I can only get to a few minor round games a year, it probably doesn't mean much one way or the other.

Still think a viable compromise would be SANFL reserves, with top-up players coming from undrafted u/18's who become a Crow or Power player for that year, but if undrafted after that, are still tied to their SANFL club. Power and Crows get the advantage of looking at players without having to take a gamble eg Nick Joyce, SANFL clubs aren't unduly affected by losing one or two fringe players for a year.

This is the best option, young kids get to play alongside full time players and also SANFL reserves players get some experience playing against AFL players would be a huge benefit to the comp. I am actually all for them entering the Reserves League but only if the top up players are young kids. I would want to see the Power get their own side though not take the Magpies reserves.
Lynwood
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 am

Fair call Lynwood, clearcut for the Crows, not so much for the Magpies or Power. As unwieldy as it may be, an eleven-team reserves comp may be what it has to be. A 50:50 magpies/power reserves side may not suit Power or Magpie fans or either Magpies or Power development goals, and I wouldn't want a Nick Joyce going to the Power reserve team, playing before the Maggies A's and being wooed by their team/recruiters and want to transfer to the Magpie league team the next year.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Go Legs » Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 am

So the club directors get the final say???

Past history is that they love the glory and perks that go with this job, its not the Clubs or their members that matter in this issue, its how many club directors will sell there souls for the better glory and perks of the SA-AFL.

Don't believe me, watch this space for the final decision. :roll:

Cheers,
Go Legs
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby darley16 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 am

If you are against it tell you clubs CEO, i did, and if nothing else felt better for it. Don't sit back and spectate, participate by advising you club of your concerns. Phone, email, confront your clubs CEO's and Board Members, do it now and maintain the rage until this matter is voted on. :evil:
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Lynwood » Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 am

darley16 wrote:If you are against it tell you clubs CEO, i did, and if nothing else felt better for it. Don't sit back and spectate, participate by advising you club of your concerns. Phone, email, confront your clubs CEO's and Board Members, do it now and maintain the rage until this matter is voted on. :evil:

So wish I could do that, Have done in the past but all they try to do to Magpie fans is get you on board with the power, Fact is they do not really care about Magpie fans we are just a marketing tool for them.
Lynwood
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 am

darley16 wrote:If you are against it tell you clubs CEO, i did, and if nothing else felt better for it. Don't sit back and spectate, participate by advising you club of your concerns. Phone, email, confront your clubs CEO's and Board Members, do it now and maintain the rage until this matter is voted on. :evil:

How did that go down?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby tigers34738586 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

Personally don't want them in the Reserves competition either, they want to own their license's outright, not owned by the SANFL, so don't think we really owe them anything once that occurs, maybe while the SANFL still owns them we might have to give them support, but when they are independent, F*** them
I might live in footballs dark ages...but at least it was worth living in
tigers34738586

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Psyber » Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 pm

tigers34738586 wrote:Personally don't want them in the Reserves competition either, they want to own their license's outright, not owned by the SANFL, so don't think we really owe them anything once that occurs, maybe while the SANFL still owns them we might have to give them support, but when they are independent, F*** them
Yep, put their reserves in the VFL.
After all, they are just another VFL team themselves, really, once the SANFL no longer owns the licences.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Go Legs » Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Already did sunshine, in no uncertain terms, along with most NFC members. I still stick by my words

Cheers,
Go Legs
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Lynwood wrote:

So wish I could do that, Have done in the past but all they try to do to Magpie fans is get you on board with the power, Fact is they do not really care about Magpie fans we are just a marketing tool for them.

Further proof Port would sell out anyone at anytime if it could make $50 out of it.

"We are family" bwaah!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Lynwood wrote:

Further proof Port would sell out anyone at anytime if it could make $50 out of it.
"We are family" bwaah!!!

A comment from a member of the cheer squad is further proof? :lol:

Take that evidence to court mate, it'll stand up.

I've had several very fruitful discussions with key Magpie personnel that did not involved any AFL/Power discussions nor even mention the AFL side of things.

You keep up the attack though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

:lol:
True now, but 20 years ago if the 50-60 year olds (at the time) kept going, it may have kept the next generations going along too.
Out of the merger, the one disappointment is, given our reasonable on-field success and over the last 15 years what seems good off-field set-up, we haven't been able to keep even a middle-of-the-road supporter base.

That's right.
Torrens won their last flag in 1953, capping off a 30 year period in which they won 4 flags (1924, 1933, 1945, 1953) the era was also peppered with magarey medals for the Eagles and one of their players (Neil Hawke) captained the Australian cricket side. Their location in the burgeoning Adelaide inner western suburbs and their appreciable record through the era must have contributed to a massive following.
In 1962 a record attendance at Thebarton of 20,832 turned up to see Torrens and Norwood play out a draw. The timing of this attendance would suggest that quite a few younger baby boomers had joined the ranks of their parents and grandparents bonded to the club through the earlier decades of individual and team success. Their record attendance at Adelaide Oval was 48,755 in 1948, again vs Norwood. I think what they had by the early 60's was the desirable situation of families following the club through the generations, encouraged by their elders and the prospect of more success.
I'd imagine some of those more impressionable baby boomers were siphoned off by more successful clubs in the 70's and 80's but the majority would have been simply not attending. My uncles would have been in their 20's in the 60's, by the time of the 1993 Eagles premiership they were early to mid 50's. I'm guessing there'd have been a few thousand baby boomers in their early teens at the 1962 blockbuster vs Norwood, I'm estimating a few thousand nostalgia driven Torrens fans in their mid 30's getting their kids out to yell for Torrens, just like the good old days. Under other circumstances the 1993 Eagles flag could indeed have resurrected the massive sleeping population of Torrens fans throughout SA.
I think we have a situation comparable to the 1998 Sturt resurgence and the thousands of Sturt fans standing in the terraces in all their old gear. :lol:
But as was pointed out, Torrens amalgamated with Woodville in 1990, and the sheer impact that a Torrens only revival would've had was greatly reduced.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL