Garry Hocking to coach Port's Reserves (SANFL) in 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Garry Hocking to coach Port's Reserves (SANFL) in 2014

Postby zipzap » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm

bays2011 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Was interviewed on 5AA and the whole interview was about developing players for the AFL and nothing about what Port will bring to the SANFL competition :roll:

Yeah, well that's obviously what both the AFL reserves are all about. But it really gripes me how those 2 ex SANFL players sit behind their 5AA mics and just love what is happening to the SANFL. A week or 2 ago Rowey was flippantly talking about how the comp will most likely become an under 23 set-up. In their eyes as long as it is good for the 2 AFL teams nothing else matters. Disgraceful lack of regard for the competition that played a significant part in getting them where they are today.

McDermott has always been in favour of it but Rowey was initially well and truly opposed to it...then, almost overnight, changed his tune. I wonder what changed his mind at 5AAFL?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:47 pm

zipzap wrote:
bays2011 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Was interviewed on 5AA and the whole interview was about developing players for the AFL and nothing about what Port will bring to the SANFL competition :roll:

Yeah, well that's obviously what both the AFL reserves are all about. But it really gripes me how those 2 ex SANFL players sit behind their 5AA mics and just love what is happening to the SANFL. A week or 2 ago Rowey was flippantly talking about how the comp will most likely become an under 23 set-up. In their eyes as long as it is good for the 2 AFL teams nothing else matters. Disgraceful lack of regard for the competition that played a significant part in getting them where they are today.

McDermott has always been in favour of it but Rowey was initially well and truly opposed to it...then, almost overnight, changed his tune. I wonder what changed his mind at 5AAFL?

One would suspect a meeting in the General Manager's office ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby beenreal » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 am

topsywaldron wrote:
beenreal wrote: How about do us all a favour and remove your reference to Port Adelaide Magpies in you Teams list BW. You obviously don't want to barrack for us.

He's more of a Port supporter than you'll ever be.

WOW, I'm stunned :shock: I haven't experienced such a stunning rebuttal since I was hit with, " Naaa.... YOU ARE!"

You two sycophants keep cuddling up to each other.

But calling a Collingwood supporter more Port Adelaide than me is akin to calling John Howard more Labor than Julia Gillard.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:23 am

beenreal wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:
beenreal wrote: How about do us all a favour and remove your reference to Port Adelaide Magpies in you Teams list BW. You obviously don't want to barrack for us.

He's more of a Port supporter than you'll ever be.

WOW, I'm stunned :shock: I haven't experienced such a stunning rebuttal since I was hit with, " Naaa.... YOU ARE!"

You two sycophants keep cuddling up to each other.

But calling a Collingwood supporter more Port Adelaide than me is akin to calling John Howard more Labor than Julia Gillard.

Poor analogy, know many Collingwood supporters who overnight became Power supporters in 1997.

Probably should have been "calling a Collingwood supporter more Port Adelaide than me is akin to calling Craig Thomson more Labor than Julia Gillard
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 am

NEW Port Adelaide Academy coach Gary "Buddha" Hocking says he is buoyed by the number of existing Magpies players who have chosen to sign with the restructured club for 2014.

Hocking is currently conducting one-on-one meetings with 2013 Port Magpies players to see who will stay with the team, when it plays in the SANFL as the Power's second-tier side in 2014.

Hocking would not reveal names or numbers of Magpies players who had signed to stay at Alberton but was confident he would put together a competitive squad.

Port will field a side in the SANFL league competition made up of Power-listed players not selected to play AFL, and top-up players from what the club calls its Academy squad.

Port must also field a team in the SANFL reserves and an SANFL under-18 side next season, meaning Hocking needs to put together a squad of about 50 non-AFL listed players in his academy program.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6749208667
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby holden78 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:50 am

Sounds like a dog's breakfast :roll:
SANFL COMMISSION AT THEIR BEST AGAIN!
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby beenreal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 am

holden78 wrote:Sounds like a dog's breakfast :roll:
SANFL COMMISSION AT THEIR BEST AGAIN!

So how's that random cliche' button working for you?
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby the wonder elephant » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

“Successful clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have both been supported by successful teams in the VFL

Serious question where do the teams in the afl with stand alone reserves sides get there top up players ? And are the Afl clubs aligned to any TAC cup sides ? Do they also work to the same sort of salary cap that the port and crows reserves will have to ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Geelong recruit a few players as "permanent" VFL players and have a pool of other players they pick from.
They are not aligned to TAC cup sides, although I think it would be hard to completely disassociate from each other in Geelong
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL