Can't see any difference
8%
Worse - I will still go every week
22%
Worse - I will only boycott Crows/Port games though
21%
Worse - I will only follow it in the media
18%
Worse - Goodbye. I'm off to the Ammos or country footy!
17%

Total votes : 78

Re: The SANFL in 2014 - Better or Worse?

Postby Bully » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Jim05 wrote:Worse but I love my club that much I cant give it up, born and raised in Norwood and been going to games for nearly 40 years, cant just give all that up.

we have probably ran into each other a few times jimbo. I used to go to every norwood game from the mid 80s till late 90s !
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby RB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm

SDK wrote:When the Eagles start winning or are playing in GF with Port and Crows near the bottom you will be back RB !

Wanna bet? For me, enjoying footy is about more than winning.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

It depends on whether the commission decides to get their elbows dirty and, along with the 8 clubs, decide to promote the SANFL competition and in particular the 8 proper SANFL clubs.

Some of that will depend on the Crows and this new TV deal (does this even exist?).

Much of it will depend on what the SANFL does with the funds it will get from the sale of West Lakes and the AFL licenses and the income from SMA. I understand that some of that needs to pay off debts and go back to the AFL clubs to make them strong, but it is as critical to ensure the likes of Sturt and West are saved and all 8 clubs are financially secure for the future.

It is also important that there are enough funds to attract/retain the best talent outside of the AFL to our competition.

There will be cons and pros re onfield with the 2 AFL teams coming in, but IMO the bigger danger is the SA Football Commission going along the same path it appeared to go this year, and that is to not appear to care less about the SANFL.

The SANFL Grand Final apparently attracted the 7th highest crowd at Footy Park this year and was bigger than the final Crows game. Hopefully that is an indicator to the SANFL and local media that there are more than two teams in this state that deserve decent coverage during football season.

For 2014, I don't think me going along to watch my team will be much different.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby PhilH » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Any thoughts on what the SANFL and local clubs need to do in the new environment ( a new Adelaide Oval drawing football fans and AFL reserves team in the SANFL) to keep the SANFL relevant?
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby RB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

No idea. Will be very tough to recruit new fans when there are Port and Crows teams in the SANFL. But I'm sure if it can be done, you're the man for the job, Phil. :D
RB
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:58 pm

PhilH wrote:Any thoughts on what the SANFL and local clubs need to do in the new environment ( a new Adelaide Oval drawing football fans and AFL reserves team in the SANFL) to keep the SANFL relevant?

I think you are better off asking the clubs Phil, the ones that voted Yes without asking their members must have all the answers.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 pm

PhilH wrote:Any thoughts on what the SANFL and local clubs need to do in the new environment ( a new Adelaide Oval drawing football fans and AFL reserves team in the SANFL) to keep the SANFL relevant?

Yep. Kick out the two impostor teams, thereby restoring the SANFL to a sovereign league, instead of an irrelevant practice comp.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Keep doing what you're doing with the kids.

Also keep to account the Crows and local mainstream media for a start. It is clear it only takes a few words behind closed doors to ensure they tow a party line. Taking a look at the intro to the ABC TV coverage of the GF is a good starting point to how the SANFL can be marketed.

Scheduling important also. Some SANFL games at Adelaide Oval would be good while it is shiny and new, but the best thing about the SANFL is its suburban grounds - catering to the different sets of supporters (oldies in the grandstands, kids with families on the grass hills, blokes on the mounds with bar facilities/tv viewing, ladies sitting in comfort etc. etc.)

If the big wigs don't realise the levels below AFL are just as important as the AFL it will effect their bottom line in the long run.

For the SANFL clubs, they just need to be winning. Need to have the majority stronger on-field than the AFL Reserves without compromising the AFL teams too much so it becomes ridiculous.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 pm

The proof will be in attendances.

If they are to be believed?

The cost of living will bring all SANFL clubs back to ground.

Its getting harder and harder to stay afloat financially.

It won't take long in 2014 before someone puts their hand up for financial assistance.

Are you going to help?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby RB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Are you going to help?

I think many of the people running SANFL clubs ATM are beyond help, Dogger.
RB
Coach

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:37 pm

That's been 1 of my biggest concerns and I expressed this to South Adelaide at the time.

South already have a small supporter base but trying to increase it in particular with the young generation will be hard especially if all the media attention goes to the 2 AFL reserves teams!!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby csbowes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 pm

I think it will be worse for a number of reasons...

I can't see how the SANFL clubs will be able to attract new fans now that the Crows and Power are involved. You speak to an 18 y.o now and they don't even know what Torrens or Glenelg or Sturt even means. Massive AFL media saturation simply ensures that any young kids will grow up following one of those teams and by virtue will follow the same team in AFLSA (nee SANFL). Only those SANFL fans who continue to go and can influence their own kids will produce SANFL fans.

Everyone else will follow the AFL reserves teams... and probably from a distance.

Secondly, any one hoping the AFL teams will be weak are kidding themselves. Its not in the best interests of the AFL clubs to have AFL reserves teams languishing in 8th or 9th or (dare to dream) 10th spot. As soon as it becomes obvious that the teams aren't competitive enough, the AFL sides with the SANFL commission in tow, will change the rules about top up players and the like, to ensure the two AFL reserves teams are generally 4th-5th.

It'll be sold as a way of keeping AFLers interested in the AFLSA finals.

Thirdly, I don't think it will be long before the best players in the country zones are playing for the Crows and Power. If I was a top midfielder playing for Renmark and I wanted to make an impression, I'd transfer to the Crows or Power AFLSA side, as it means I'll be playing in front of coaches and support staff who have direct access to the Crows and Power coaching/recruiting panels, how could you pass on that opportunity, it could be the one way an outsider gets noticed and gets his one shot.

I think both teams will be around the 4th / 5th mark... and within a couple of years, they'll be slightly higher... if the Crows don't win a flag in the AFLSA within 4-5 years, I'll be very surprised.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Agree csbowes about trying to attract the next generation of kids, so it might not be in the first two years there will be a great deal of difference, but maybe by 2020 or 2025, the comp could be irrelevant.

I reckon I'll give it two years and see how it pans out, hoping all the time something goes horribly wrong with the concept and by 2016 we are back to our comp. I feel like the Eagles need my membership money more than ever now, feel for the players we have a new generation coming through that could make a name for themselves and are just pawns in this argument, but find it hard to reconcile that the club deserves my support for the decision that's been made.

The most disappointing thing is we are at a really interesting place with how the competition is shaping up for the next couple of years. Norwood might come back to the pack a bit, but have depth and a great club structure, West still have a premiership list that might be reinvigorated with a new style and ideas, North obviously aren't too far away and have some good talent coming through, Eagles have plenty of good you players coming through, Centrals could go either way, and Sturt are starting to show some improvement with numerous kids now getting some games behind them.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I think you are better off asking the clubs Phil, the ones that voted Yes without asking their members must have all the answers.

Well these clubs still have a lot to answer for.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:57 pm

SDK wrote:When the Eagles start winning or are playing in GF with Port and Crows near the bottom you will be back RB !

Aren't you just the fountain of knowledge SDK.
No matter what topic or thread we can all rely on you to tell us all what we will or won't be doing, thinking, saying, etc, etc

We are all so lucky two have you on board. How the hell anyone managed to post an opinion before you signed up is a miracle
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm yet to be convinced Adelaide Oval will draw any more fans than Football Park did.
Sport has a limited market as a percentage of the total population.
(Just like Opera, but just a slightly larger percentage.)

The reserves teams may draw a few more of the younger set.
We'll find out next year...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby holden78 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 am

johntheclaret wrote:

Aren't you just the fountain of knowledge SDK.
No matter what topic or thread we can all rely on you to tell us all what we will or won't be doing, thinking, saying, etc, etc

We are all so lucky two have you on board. How the hell anyone managed to post an opinion before you signed up is a miracle

Absolutely first class backhand even Federer would admire :lol:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby dedja » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:59 pm

figjamitits, bloody nasty condition, easy to get but faarking hard to shake off ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby MatteeG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:35 pm

SDK wrote:Interestingly a friend who came over from Melbourne for the GF and follows Collingwood said the VFL is still good to watch. He goes to Collingwood VFL games too and says they regularly get 3 - 4,000 people and that the die hards also follow their VFL reserves team.

Pretty sure your friend cant count SDK. Crowds regularly in their hundreds max. I went and saw Carlton (Northern Blues) v Collingwood and there would have been 300 people if that. And half were standing outside the oval watching so they didnt have to pay to get in!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Just had a look through the VFL draw and there were some games starting at 11am in 2013 :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL