Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 05, 2015 5:59 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:Another inspiring report by Mr Fuller. Typical.

Sorry Ferret. I forget how delicate you are. Will try in future to use 'sublime' rather than 'good' to describe the performance of the team given how upsetting it is for you.

I liked it Mr F. I don't know why a fellow WWT supporter would have a sarcy dig ??
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby PhilH » Tue May 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Re any Eagles zoned players in Port's Academy team.

I am pretty sure that Eagles had first choice of who went on their youth list back in December.

There were a lot of youth trials in October working through those already on the list that we would keep plus those coming in from the old Port / new Eagles zone.

Once a player in the Eagles zone was advised they were not on the clubs youth list that player is free to go anywhere including other SANFL clubs.

I don't work in that part of the club but that is my understanding of it.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Booney » Wed May 06, 2015 9:17 am

I think pre One Club agreement Port had the opportunity to sign/list players in their U18 side to the academy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10818 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed May 06, 2015 11:24 am

Mickyj wrote:
ferret wrote:What is the use of the powers reserve reserve team or commonly upgraded to be called the academy.
From what I saw on Saturday there was very little talent and surely none likely to be drafted from this team. At the end their fitness level looked appalling or was this just the lack of talent. Let the players go to other SANFL clubs where they would most likely get better coaching and get into a better fitness regime.
According to Eagle sources, there were at least 7-8 players playing in the reserves reserve that were zoned to and should be playing with the Eagles either at U18 or reserves level. If the players are not up to U18 or reserves level at least let the Eagles have a look at them first.
Is the redistribution of the SANFL league zones on an equal playing field when players in the Eagles zone can play for the powers reserve reserve team?

Its a disgrace why take the Eagles area away give them ports area and then take players away .

Smells like doing everything for Port and stuff the rest

Doesn't zoning only apply to players under 18? There are only 4 players on Port's Academy list of about 40 that turn 18 this year; surnames Ginever, Mahney, Foster and Smith. You can probably guess why they're there. I think over 18s would be fair game to recruit and if another SANFL club wanted them, they'd already be playing for them.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Mickyj » Wed May 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Rising Power wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
ferret wrote:What is the use of the powers reserve reserve team or commonly upgraded to be called the academy.
From what I saw on Saturday there was very little talent and surely none likely to be drafted from this team. At the end their fitness level looked appalling or was this just the lack of talent. Let the players go to other SANFL clubs where they would most likely get better coaching and get into a better fitness regime.
According to Eagle sources, there were at least 7-8 players playing in the reserves reserve that were zoned to and should be playing with the Eagles either at U18 or reserves level. If the players are not up to U18 or reserves level at least let the Eagles have a look at them first.
Is the redistribution of the SANFL league zones on an equal playing field when players in the Eagles zone can play for the powers reserve reserve team?

Its a disgrace why take the Eagles area away give them ports area and then take players away .

Doesn't zoning only apply to players under 18? There are only 4 players on Port's Academy list of about 40 that turn 18 this year; surnames Ginever, Mahney, Foster and Smith. You can probably guess why they're there. I think over 18s would be fair game to recruit and if another SANFL club wanted them, they'd already be playing for them.

you miss the point Port Adelaide is an AFL Club as far as i know its against the AFL rules to have a zone
Hence its a waist of time having a side that players can not step up into the league side
Wouldnt matter what their names were can Port in the AFL take them all into the AFL ,
Hence they should be given the chance to play for the SANFL team they are zoned to play for
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Rising Power » Thu May 07, 2015 11:18 am

Mickyj wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

you miss the point Port Adelaide is an AFL Club as far as i know its against the AFL rules to have a zone
Hence its a waist of time having a side that players can not step up into the league side
Wouldnt matter what their names were can Port in the AFL take them all into the AFL ,
Hence they should be given the chance to play for the SANFL team they are zoned to play for

Port don't have a zone.
It's not a waste of time, it's helps with the development of more SA players by fast tracking them into reserves level football. The good ones will either be drafted, or sign with another SANFL club with the opportunity of regular league football, or worst case sign as a top up player. The average ones will either stay or go elsewhere.
Port aren't going to take them all to the AFL, but if they're good enough to make it, they can try.
They already had a chance - they chose not to take it.

My point is, zoning essentially relates to junior development. Once they're over 18 it seems they can pretty much sign with any club that wants them. Someone who knows more about the zoning system may be able to clarify.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL