Average and median crowd figures to Round 8

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Average and median crowd figures to Round 8

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 am

spell_check wrote:
PhilH wrote:Agreed the cold weather is having an effect, it always does.

Initially I didn't like having almost back to back split rounds as it really slows up the season.

And all because of the Foxtel Cup which needs a lot of work to be a decent competition.

But it does mean that clubs only play 3 SANFL league games over 5 of the coldest weekends of the year (late June to end of July).

re gate takings, ticketed crows members get in for free, not the case for Port

Eagles had a huge gate (for us anyway) when 4,300 turned up for Easter Monday match.

I know this aint going to happen, but I don't see why next year it can go back to 20 matches; assuming the AFL sides are there:

The AFL sides play each other 4 times, the 8 SANFL clubs twice
The SANFL sides play six other clubs twice and two clubs three times, with those clubs decided on end of season rankings for this year. Each club plays one of the top 4 SANFL clubs and one of the lowest 4 that third time. 18 seems too short to me, and I would have thought the AFL clubs would like to see their excess players get game time instead of twiddling their thumbs.

How about 1 home, 1 away & 1 neutral ( maybe double headers at AO or Friday night)
No split rounds, no byes.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 am

johntheclaret wrote:How about 1 home, 1 away & 1 neutral ( maybe double headers at AO or Friday night)

Could be done in 21 rounds with 8 sovereign teams ...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby tipper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

Pseudo wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:How about 1 home, 1 away & 1 neutral ( maybe double headers at AO or Friday night)

actually (stupid idea i know) why dont we change to that? the crows and power reserves play each other 21 times a season. the SANFL clubs play each other 3 times each over the season. win win. the afl clubs keep telling us they want the best competition for their "development" sides, and whats better than playing against other afl listed players?

they could tour the major regional centres too. have a crows bus and power bus to get them there. gets their reserves players semi used to travelling. imagine a "reserves showdown" every week, each in a different regional centre. Kadina, Clare, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Mt Gambier, Murray Bridge, Victor Harbor, even send them as far as Coober Pedy and Ceduna for something different (could even fly for the really remote games). probably get more crowds for them too, and they can honestly say they are supporting grassroots footy and helping pump money into country leagues.

SANFL sides get their league back, no more three sets of rules. could return to having one home, one away and one neutral game against each other side (i miss night games at adelaide oval)

AFL clubs get their "good" standard of games, and may actually put something back into grassroots footy. would cost them less too with no more payments to the sanfl (saves them $450k each!, surely they can buy a bus each for that, and pay for fuel)

oh well, itll never happen.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby RB » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 am

Tipper to replace Leigh Whicker. :-)
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby tipper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57 am

RB wrote:Tipper to replace Leigh Whicker. :-)

that will never happen either, i dont know the right people :roll:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby spell_check » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm

tipper wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

actually (stupid idea i know) why dont we change to that? the crows and power reserves play each other 21 times a season. the SANFL clubs play each other 3 times each over the season. win win. the afl clubs keep telling us they want the best competition for their "development" sides, and whats better than playing against other afl listed players?

they could tour the major regional centres too. have a crows bus and power bus to get them there. gets their reserves players semi used to travelling. imagine a "reserves showdown" every week, each in a different regional centre. Kadina, Clare, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Mt Gambier, Murray Bridge, Victor Harbor, even send them as far as Coober Pedy and Ceduna for something different (could even fly for the really remote games). probably get more crowds for them too, and they can honestly say they are supporting grassroots footy and helping pump money into country leagues.

SANFL sides get their league back, no more three sets of rules. could return to having one home, one away and one neutral game against each other side (i miss night games at adelaide oval)

AFL clubs get their "good" standard of games, and may actually put something back into grassroots footy. would cost them less too with no more payments to the sanfl (saves them $450k each!, surely they can buy a bus each for that, and pay for fuel)

oh well, itll never happen.

This is way better than my proposal :) My idea was only if the current teams were to continue the way it is now.

I think we can all agree that 18 is too short a season. I would think that 21 round/8 team comp and the third lot of meetings would consist of 3 home, 3 away and 1 neutral - perhaps use the Anzac Day meeting up as one of the neutrals for starters, and something different, a triple header for the other three neutral meetings at Adelaide? Or the standalone Friday night meetings at Adelaide as you suggested.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 181 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 am

See. Now wasn't that easy 8)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times