Eagles v South Woodville oval 1.10pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Eagles v South Woodville oval 1.10pm

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 pm

He should have had one more goal umpire ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Premiers » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes. Big game from Nick Hayes.
Plays his best football when playing half forward or deeper. Hasn't got the motor for the midfielder role that the Eagles have been trying to develop for him - tends to have one pace as a midfielder (slow) as his motor burns up but much sharper up forward.
Premiers

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby prowling panther » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Played well today did Hayes, one of the main differences along with the whole Eagles defenders.

We were lucky Crabb played a solid came all day other wise it could have been worse.

South are not strong enough physically or mentally to break apart the top teams just yet.

On a day like today can anyone tell me why umpires are not giving the ball players a bit of a go, to many high tackles and riding players into the ground for their not be be more rewards. There is something wrong with the game when umpires have more of the footy than the players and all they do is run away from a contest pretending they cannot see what happens.

Both sides got away with too much. It does not make it right.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby ferret » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 am

Nick Hayes played extremely well in atrocious conditions. Should be played as the third medium/tall forward. Great hands and an excellent kick for goal. When Eagles play two legit. ruckmen I feel they should change from the bench to allow Hayes to play up forward.
Hayes also plays very well in defence when the Eagles throw him back there as an extra, reads the play very well. Definitely not an onballer yet.
Also has four younger brothers.

Since Gotch arrived at South Adelaide they have finally looked like a formidable football club, he's the best thing that has happened to the club for quite awhile........I now fear playing the Panthers.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 138 times

Postby Panther Pack » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 am

South's bottom 4 or 5 players are not quite up to it and this leaves too much on the rest of the team to do until we improve our depth we are unlikely to be serious contenders.

Haren has offered nothing for most of the year and keeps getting selected he would benefit from a few games in Ressies to get confidence up. Teams find it too easy to double or triple team Eddy.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:01 pm

If the Green Slugs paid holding or over the shoulder frees that are so obvious to see for the Forwards, the spectacle and scoring would improve ten times!

The Hayes mark that wasn't paid just shows the ump's lack of feel for the game and what's possible in the wet :roll:

Goldy, Thurlow, Raikiwasa, Boyd to come back in for Norwood game that may end up a trial game..... no rush on them now...

Good chance to play one or two kids against Candys and Cocks in next three weeks 8)
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Brendan M » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:52 pm

South played well, Eagles more potent when it counted. South's passion exemplified by one of their supporters, in the second or third row of the Percy Fox stand, symbolically destroying his blue and white umbrella a few seconds after the siren. Great stuff. Lot of life in this comp yet.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby southee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Brendan M wrote:South played well, Eagles more potent when it counted. South's passion exemplified by one of their supporters, in the second or third row of the Percy Fox stand, symbolically destroying his blue and white umbrella a few seconds after the siren. Great stuff. Lot of life in this comp yet.

Yeah must get a new umbrella !
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby clanger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Panther Pack wrote:South's bottom 4 or 5 players are not quite up to it and this leaves too much on the rest of the team to do until we improve our depth we are unlikely to be serious contenders.

Haren has offered nothing for most of the year and keeps getting selected he would benefit from a few games in Ressies to get confidence up. Teams find it too easy to double or triple team Eddy.

Your depth will be tested when u have 8 players from your best 21 from 2014 not playing in the league team.

Brooksby, Caleb Daniel, Tom Fields- AFL
Nick Liddle, Peter Rolfe- Injured
Fraser Dale- Reserves
Nick Murphy- Sacked Mid year

but to still be in the top 5 shows we have a solid base we just need to recruit 2-3 high quality players for next year.
clanger
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times

Postby saintal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Add Thewlis to that list clanger.

On yesterday, giving the Eagles that 4 goal buffer early was obviously crucial, but to South's credit they kept eating into the margin and could have pinched it in the final minutes (or at least salvaged a draw). Liked the games of Seccull, Rose and Gulden while Crabby was excellent. As has been the problem all year have lacked a reliable second tall forward, with Haren again offering little yesterday.

Hayes was impressive for the home side.

What did you think of the state of the oval holden78? I thought only Noarlunga dishes up poor conditions for footy..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 433 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 am

Shows how well Norwood have done in the last few years, and a lot of years in the 2000's the Eagles and Centrals were losing half-a-dozen out of their top 25.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby darley16 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Injuries now a big problem, out for season Cailotto, Liddle, Giddings, Rolfe, Darrou. May struggle to make finals with our depth to be tested. Durdin, Dale, Haines, Heaslip, McMahon you're time has arrived.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:50 pm

I didn't see this game, but clearly another underwhelming win by the Eagles. I know what you will say, a win is a win! I Agree, and i'm not going to bring my team into the Discussion cause we are shit. If i am an Eagles fan i am a little concerned with the form of the team and the sudden drop off in some players forms.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby RB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Ramrod wrote:If i am an Eagles fan i am a little concerned with the form of the team and the sudden drop off in some players forms.

Any players in particular?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 773 times
Been liked: 1085 times

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:03 pm

RB wrote:
Ramrod wrote:If i am an Eagles fan i am a little concerned with the form of the team and the sudden drop off in some players forms.

Any players in particular?

Wundke by the looks of it had a poor day, and by all reports is looking like he is running on the treadmill he is going that slow.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Every side has a lull in the season. Wouldn't read much into the game due to conditions, genuine mud heap and fairly scrappy. I rate South so ill take the win, its a sign of a good side if you win when you don't play to your best.. Especially against fellow finalists..

Nice to have you back Ramrod, sorely missed
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:04 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Every side has a lull in the season. Wouldn't read much into the game due to conditions, genuine mud heap and fairly scrappy. I rate South so ill take the win, its a sign of a good side if you win when you don't play to your best.. Especially against fellow finalists..

Nice to have you back Ramrod, sorely missed

I do agree with you Human Torpedo in regards to winning when not playing your best footy. Although you'd hope a few of your forwards start to step up in a couple weeks time otherwise i could be another early exit.
It's nice to be back as well, think the WWTFC forum hasnt been the same without me. I've got the Admin watching me carefully, so have to be a little smarter with my posts :)
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby Jackal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:05 pm

You will find that extremely difficult.
Jackal
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Jackal wrote:You will find that extremely difficult.

Haha Jackal i think i will be fine. At the moment i dont need to point out certain players struggles, he's doing that by himself by not getting a kick.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:26 pm

The big boys don't need to fire to beat Norwood at the moment Ramrod ;)

Nah I think its a good sign we can still win with our spearheads not firing.. On his day Wundks is a monster who will brutalise most if not all full backs in the comp, just a muddy boggy day isn't his kind of day I don't think.. I have faith that we are in good stead, its a bit odd to be concerned when we are 3 games plus % clear on top with 3 to play..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL