The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 pm

saintal wrote:Sorry I missed that MT, can you repeat it? ;)

Sorry, my phone was playing games and I didn't think it had posted.....oops
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 am

Fck me MT79
How many times do you need to tell us you didn't here LPH's call. We get it ok !!
Some people just go on and on and on !

:D ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby RB » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:35 pm

LPH wrote:Bickley won't hear anything negative about the Cows/Power in the comp - keeps raising the 'Crowd Figures' as justification.

Clearly he needs to be reminded of the facts.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

OI!!! LPH!!!!
MIGHTY TIGER DID NOT HEAR YOUR CALL ON THE RADIO!!!!!

There you are MT79 mate, you just got to speak up, ;)
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Has there been a survey to the current SANFL league players on their thoughts on the AFL Reserves teams? They have now had 2 and a half seasons. It would be interesting to see and should form the basis of decisions going forward.

1) Open ended question: What have been the positives from the inclusion of the AFL Reserves sides to the SANFL competition?

2) Open ended question: What have been the negatives from the inclusion of the AFL Reserves sides to the SANFL competition?

3) Yes/No answer: Do you support the AFL Reserves sides being in the SANFL competition as it currently stands?
If Yes go to to Q6.
If No go to Q4.

4) Yes/No answer: Do you support AFL listed players being in the SANFL competition?
If Yes go to Q5
If No go to Q6.

5) Open ended question: In what format should AFL listed players play in the SANFL competition?

6) Open ended question: Do you see any challenges to your SANFL club going forward, if the SANFL competition remains as is, due to the AFL Reserves teams involvement?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Further to the above - if the overwhelming majority of players see the current situation as a positive - it is time for the supporters to move on and accept one way or another what has happened and either support the club in a positive manner or find something else to do that doesn't impact negatively on the competition and club.

If the majority of players have issues and see problems with the current situation, then the powers that be need to do something about it.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Nice Idea
But no way will the SA Commission entertain any adjustment to the current situation. Entrenched in their own little ivory tower of benefits and perks dealt to them by being AFL puppets.
If any questionnaire should be proposed it should be the SANFL public petition to have the SA Commission members remove especially the clown at the top Olsen. His record of underhanded deals speak for themselves. We want sell ETSA, now the chinese owners are making a killing profit and they are upping the costs to US mugs again. Do not trust politician types who speak with forked tongues
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Aerie wrote:Has there been a survey to the current SANFL league players on their thoughts on the AFL Reserves teams? They have now had 2 and a half seasons. It would be interesting to see and should form the basis of decisions going forward.

1) Open ended question: What have been the positives from the inclusion of the AFL Reserves sides to the SANFL competition?

2) Open ended question: What have been the negatives from the inclusion of the AFL Reserves sides to the SANFL competition?

3) Yes/No answer: Do you support the AFL Reserves sides being in the SANFL competition as it currently stands?
If Yes go to to Q6.
If No go to Q4.

4) Yes/No answer: Do you support AFL listed players being in the SANFL competition?
If Yes go to Q5
If No go to Q6.

5) Open ended question: In what format should AFL listed players play in the SANFL competition?

6) Open ended question: Do you see any challenges to your SANFL club going forward, if the SANFL competition remains as is, due to the AFL Reserves teams involvement?

Just by speaking to some players they are not overly happy with the situation. Full Time professionals vs blokes who play for peanuts after digging trenches, busting open packs of timber or crunching numbers all day. However they do take great satisfaction that they can beat these bubble boys when they play to their absolute best of their ability.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:37 pm

heater31 wrote:Just by speaking to some players they are not overly happy with the situation. Full Time professionals vs blokes who play for peanuts after digging trenches, busting open packs of timber or crunching numbers all day. However they do take great satisfaction that they can beat these bubble boys when they play to their absolute best of their ability.

You can definitely understand that. What has been proven is that there is no extra interest (via attendance/memberships) to the SANFL clubs as a result of AFL Reserves sides in. Besides the $50k from the Crows, is there any commercial benefit? Paying $1m to occasionally show the SANFL on 7mate seems like a stinking deal to me. At least on Ch 2 you knew there was an SANFL game every Sat arvo and it wasn't costing $1m.

I think in general the public don't like it. What it means is that the SANFL players need to keep up a certain standard to keep up with the ever increasing professional AFL teams, constantly increasing funding to their football department spending. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Obviously the AFL teams like it, but it can't be up to them.

I'd love to see the results of a player wide survey and go from there. Now is a pivotal time with funding coming forward from the sale of West Lakes. The most sustainable option needs to be taken.
Aerie
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

LPH wrote:I drive home from McLaren Vale to the city each day.
As a result, I generally flick between MMM & AA - I actually prefer MMM as the lesser of 2 evils.

Anyway, AA have 'Gazza' on about 5:45pm - gets a fair hearing re: AFL Reserves & the Bay's plight.
Good Call.

So I got inspired, & rang myself - got on after 6pm News.
To be fair, I also got a good 'hearing'.
Bickley won't hear anything negative about the Cows/Power in the comp - keeps raising the 'Crowd Figures' as justification.
Rowe seems to be reluctantly & hypocritically accepting the facts - despite his support during the 'No AFL in the SANFL' Campaign.

With every SANFL Club that begins to 'rattle the can' for survival - Ross Oakley must 'pop the corks' in celebration.
So sad to see our once great competition reduced to 'beggar' status :(

I heard your call LEH, guessed it was you and thought you spoke well, surprised they gave you as much time as they did. Rowe is just disappointing as I'm pretty sure he's not happy with the reserves teams but toes the corporate line. Bickley on the other hand is just an AFL sycophant. You did well to counter his arguments with reason.
When the SANFL changed their branding this year he made a comment to the point of "well I hope they're more focused on the financial state of their clubs, I'd think they've got bigger problems seeing as half the clubs are bleeding money".
So I sent in an email which I assumed wouldn't be read out as it was pro SANFL. I called him an AFL apologist and that before he points the finger at SANFL clubs he should be addressing the 6 AFL clubs that made a loss last year and the handful of clubs that are bailed out to the tune of millions each and every year. I reminded him that not one SANFL club has been bailed out."
Surprisingly he read it out very soon after I sent it. He countered my argument with "AFL clubs have a greater ability to manage more debt, which is true but it's funny that they're still in debt every year and being bailed out every year.

During your call, IIRC, he used the attendance at the Sturt v Adelaide game to back up his argument, it's funny that he and Rowe didn't bring up a recent crowd numbed at a Port game at Alberton, against South I think, where there was barely 2000.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Dogs72 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:58 am

Imagine how poorly the power woul be going if they didn't have the current reserves structure - it's working wonders. Two teams one premiership between them in about 32 years, long may it continue.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:12 am

Enjoys cricket season legs fans
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:40 am

UK Fan wrote:Enjoys cricket season legs fans

Your mob will only last another week longer than us from what I've seen this year[emoji6]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Your mob will only last another week longer than us from what I've seen this year[emoji6]

Yeah but his club didn't vote for the current cluster **** we have.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Yeah but his club didn't vote for the current cluster **** we have.

True
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogmatic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 pm

Just read an article on the radio rights for the AFL and a company by the name of Acquire Learning is linked to one of the stations in the running.
I found an interesting couple of names involved, Demetriou and Olsen.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-radio-rights-battle-hots-up-as-gold-fm-eon-sports-emerge-20160627-gpsni7.html
http://www.acquirelearning.com.au/learning/about/our-advisory-group
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Dogs72 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 am

Not sure if anyone can post Chris mcdermotts article from today's advertiser. It discusses falling crowds in particular the decline since the advent of the afl reserves.
I couldn't believe what I was reading. I rang and spoke to wildy and McDermott on 5aa when the reserves potential inclusion was being discussed ( I was fuming over so much misinformation). He debated with me how good it would be and towed the chapman line of crowds of 4000 would be achievable. Not sure if he's seen the light or starting to admit he was wrong. As he states something along the lines of, "the inclusion of the afl teams is not the goose that laid the golden egg as some thought it would be". Some = him!
The table of crowd stats since the inclusion is compelling and damming on the reserves inclusion. Ironically central is one of only three clubs with improved home match attendances (despite a drop in on field performance).
Time to $&@" these afl teams off, or each club charge them $150k to stay. Anyone know what west coast and freo pay each club?
We don't hold their license, we hold no obligation to bow to their whims.

Whilst I rant, has any "investigative" journalist considered looking into Tripodis, last minute vote backflip? Are the rumours of what his decision was based on true? Did the Norwood board know he was changing his vote from what he'd publically declared less than a fortnight before on the news?

Changes need to be made at SANFL board level. It's time they looked after the interests of SANFL clubs first and foremost, not their potential career paths.
Rant over.
Dogs72
Rookie

Postby Dogs72 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 am

Rant continues...

What's also interesting in the articles quoted crowd figures, is that all teams other than west and south have higher average home ground attendances that the power reserves. Much of what Keith thomas argued about re ports crowd attendances has proven to be puffery.
Dogs72
Rookie

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:15 am

Why would any journalist bother investigating the SANFL? The interest is too low for them to get any sort of worthwhile public reaction.

Also, the SANFL board aren't the villains in this, it's the SANFL clubs themselves. If they do their jobs then they would be following the directive given when the clubs had their chance. Not sure what it would take to reverse that original decision but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a similar voting line as the first vote, which means 4 clubs need to change their positions. They can probably count on the Dogs and Panthers to keep the faith, as it were, but until we hear enough others calling for a rethink then we're going to have to get used to this. And I suspect we'll see some very, very ordinary AFL reserves teams trotting around in the future if this lasts.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:58 am

Centrals crowd is only up because they had a good Friday home game. Take away the extra 2-3000 they got for that than normal and you'll have a more accurate figure. I took a full car of people that don't normally attend games to that who wouldn't have even considered going if it was on any other day of the year.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL