The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:22 am

goddy11 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:Does anyone know how much (in dollars), the AFL contributes to the SANFL each year? Not the sma return, but direct contribution.

The Crows pay the $400,000 SANFL "licence" fee, if you will. Port Adelaide, recognised as a foundation member of the SANFL does not pay this fee.

Last year Port Adelaide directly contributed $1m to the SANFL coffers. This is not through the SMA etc.

$1m to SANFL coffers directly. Can you elaborate. Is this just the repayment of licence fee?

No, I can't elaborate any further. PAFC and SANFL documents just show it as a $1m contribution. No mention if it's for repaying a loan, a gift, a bribe, whatever you want to call it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:19 pm

I guess what Dogs72 is asking is does the AFL actually pay either the SANFL or CFL anything towards the running of football in this state and the thus the development of the game in this state?
The AFL clubs pay the fees for the draftees so thats not the AFL.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Booney wrote:About time I got the respect I deserve. Now, be gone.

Troll! :lol:
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Booney wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:Does anyone know how much (in dollars), the AFL contributes to the SANFL each year? Not the sma return, but direct contribution.

The Crows pay the $400,000 SANFL "licence" fee, if you will. Port Adelaide, recognised as a foundation member of the SANFL does not pay this fee.

Last year Port Adelaide directly contributed $1m to the SANFL coffers. This is not through the SMA etc.

$1m to SANFL coffers directly. Can you elaborate. Is this just the repayment of licence fee?

No, I can't elaborate any further. PAFC and SANFL documents just show it as a $1m contribution. No mention if it's for repaying a loan, a gift, a bribe, whatever you want to call it.

Probably returning money they stole.
;)
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LPH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36 am

Ha... I see what you did there! :lol:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 am

Magellan wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sorry, I meant the AfL as an entity, not the sa afl sides and the agreements they may have in place.

Don't the AFL pay some sort of fee back to the club from which a player is drafted from once they play a league game?

From my understanding that drip feed payment is no longer. I discussed this with Warren Portland recently on a live blog. SANFL clubs no longer receive AFL payments once a player is drafted, plays their first game, plays 50 games, 100 etc etc.
Clubs now receive a development fee from the AFL which I think is about $80k which has to go towards U18 coaching and junior coaching. I'll stand corrected but this is my understanding.
While this is a more consistent payment it lacks incentives and probably penalises clubs that develop a lot of players that get drafted, like West last year, and benefits clubs that have poor development programs, have few juniors drafted and receive the same lump sum. It might also partly explain why so few SA kids are getting drafted this year but I think that's probably cyclical.
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:55 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:From my understanding that drip feed payment is no longer. I discussed this with Warren Portland recently on a live blog. SANFL clubs no longer receive AFL payments once a player is drafted, plays their first game, plays 50 games, 100 etc etc.
Clubs now receive a development fee from the AFL which I think is about $80k which has to go towards U18 coaching and junior coaching. I'll stand corrected but this is my understanding.
While this is a more consistent payment it lacks incentives and probably penalises clubs that develop a lot of players that get drafted, like West last year, and benefits clubs that have poor development programs, have few juniors drafted and receive the same lump sum. It might also partly explain why so few SA kids are getting drafted this year but I think that's probably cyclical.
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for.

Thanks Cutterman, that's what I was referring to.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge threa

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:11 am

Some would say it was a shallow draft in 2016.
How come one Victorian club had 7 Drafted yet the whole of SA Home bred got only 4 or 5 picked.
Maybe too many byes in SANFL footy,maybe we have got too soft and don't like to play too much.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 am

Surely, from a purely SANFL point of view, having less players drafted is a good thing?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Possibly Victorian clubs are concentrating more on home grown, so they are more likely to stay? Then the failure of Port and Crows to recruit any locals meant very few were picked?
How many players are usually picked up from SA?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Good comment Mag.
The upside is more will stay and play in our league.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:00 pm

therisingblues wrote:How many players are usually picked up from SA?

From my reading of the draft stats in recent years, 11 in 2015, 8 in 2014, 13 in 2013, 15 in 2012, 11 in 2011, 10 in 2010, and 12 in 2009.
Magellan
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:28 pm

As I said I think it's more cyclical, far be it for scribes and AFL supporters to throw skirts up in the air a a singular event and then look to blame the SANFL.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Any word on changes to rules for the two imposters for next season?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Reddeer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 am

daysofourlives wrote:Any word on changes to rules for the two imposters for next season?

You don't really think that the sanfl would have the guts o r common sense for the sake of the comp to make the changes that would effect their pets DO You?
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby stan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 am

Reddeer wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Any word on changes to rules for the two imposters for next season?

You don't really think that the sanfl would have the guts o r common sense for the sake of the comp to make the changes that would effect their pets DO You?

Havent heard much about this at all lately. Clearly everyone enjoying the off season.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:17 am

Its a sad state of affairs what is happening at the SANFL. The management of the SANFL that once owned the AFL teams is now a rubber stamp for them. Once local players drafted went back to play for the local clubs and their salaries were carried by the AFL teams. Now as rookies, they move to the AFL teams free of charge. These players in reality will not play much if any AFL but will play against their local clubs. The Port Magpies are totally an AFL side but through some wheeling and dealing do not pay a fee to the SANFL but enjoy all the benefits. Our SANFL pays for under 18 and under 16 state coaches that develop player for the AFL. Our club pay out of their own pockets to develop players and supply various levels of competition only for the players to leave for peanuts to the AFL. Our State government bank rolls the PAP and sponsors the academies but what does it do to help the local league and country leagues.
The AFL throws buckets of money into the Vic U18s as well as GWS and the Suns but very little into grass roots. Until the PAP, the AFC and AFL take more Fiscal responsibility this thread will never end.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 214 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Dogs72 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 am

goddy11 wrote:Its a sad state of affairs what is happening at the SANFL. The management of the SANFL that once owned the AFL teams is now a rubberpp stamp for them. Once local players drafted went back to play for the local clubs and their salaries were carried by the AFL teams. Now as rookies, they move to the AFL teams free of charge. These players in reality will not play much if any AFL but will play against their local clubs. The Port Magpies are o hope.totally an AFL side but through some wheeling and dealing do not pay a fee to the SANFL but enjoy all the benefits. Our SANFL pays for under 18 and under 16 state coaches that develop player for the AFL. Our club pay out of their own pockets to develop players and supply various levels of competition only for the players to leave for peanuts to the AFL. Our State government bank rolls the PAP and sponsors the academies but what does it do to help the local league and country leagues.
The AFL throws buckets of money into the Vic U18s as well as GWS and the Suns but very little into grass roots. Until the PAP, the AFC and AFL take more Fiscal responsibility this thread will never end.

agreed. Whilst Parkinson is there, the SANFL has no hope.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:02 pm

There will be a cap on how many AFL listed players can play next year. Expect to hear it announced soon apparently.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Kahuna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:34 pm

cennals05 wrote:

There will be a cap on how many AFL listed players can play next year. Expect to hear it announced soon apparently.

21?
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 187 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL