Your teams biggest let down as a big name recruit ( dud )

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 06, 2006 2:40 am

rd wrote:Read this thread during the week and I was thinking of Jarjoura for Sturt. Get today's paper and see that he's been dropped so I take that as a sign that I'm not alone in that line of thinking !!!

rd, to JJ's credit...he didnt have the raps on him that others have had in the past....i for one didnt expect him to take the league by storm but i expected him to be a good player...but he has been disappointing this year according to db.org
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 06, 2006 2:46 am

SimonH wrote:I suspect that if we were to look now at the tapes of games where C.Balme was played as a marking forward, he would've dated worse than 'The Breakfast Club'..

GOLD :lol: :lol:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Magpiespower » Sat May 06, 2006 10:23 am

Sandoid wrote:Interceptor...would that be Jason Millar? Opposition supporters were always glad to see him named at CHF for the Legs.

ROFLMAO!

Arguagly the worst player to play more than 50 league games.

Scrubber!
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby zipzap » Sat May 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Jimmy wrote:
rd wrote:Read this thread during the week and I was thinking of Jarjoura for Sturt. Get today's paper and see that he's been dropped so I take that as a sign that I'm not alone in that line of thinking !!!

rd, to JJ's credit...he didnt have the raps on him that others have had in the past....i for one didnt expect him to take the league by storm but i expected him to be a good player...but he has been disappointing this year according to db.org

I really think JJ has been misused although definitely his agro needs to be controlled. I'm not bagging Sticks but I reakon he would blossom under a certain type of coach who let him off the leash at times - dare I say it a Jars?

Wayne Johnston for biggest dud recruit I can remember. Dominator indeed.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby JK » Sat May 06, 2006 1:59 pm

SimonH wrote:Millar was no matchwinner, but hung around for a few years and was good enough to get a league game in a team that was making the finals.

I'll commit sacrilege by referring to one high-profile interstate recruit who played an awful lot of football at Norwood... Craig Balme!

No-one will ever forget the 1984 GF (except for Tim Evans presumably), and Balmey was a strong team man, good with the bodywork and the fist at full-back. Not denying any of that. It was just that in his later years, for whatever reason his brother (and maybe even N. Craig if he lasted that long) decided to play him at CHF. This was a bit of a problem because he couldn't mark the ball overhead. At all. Not even uncontested. This is a fairly fundamental skill for any footballer in the modern age; even more so if you're the team's CHF. I suspect that if we were to look now at the tapes of games where C.Balme was played as a marking forward, he would've dated worse than 'The Breakfast Club'.

And no thread on high-profile recruits would be complete without mentioning Brian Adamson. He shall not grow old, as Des Foster and embittered Sturt supporters grow old...

Fair sum up of J Millar Simon, useful to begin with but was never going to make much of an impact (unless you were that young North lad he kinghit at the Parade, and I take no joy in writing that) .. As far C.Balme, was a fantastic workhorse and certainly a worthy selection in all the teams he was named given he showe the balls that many others seemed to lack in his time ... Would surely never have been a first choice selection at CHF but quite often he was the best fit, such was our lack of choice in that area.
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Sandoid » Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 pm

I remember Millar was in the state side once...I believe the year that Tassie rolled us...*embarrased chortle*
Sandoid
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Coorong » Sat May 06, 2006 5:29 pm

For Westies simple...... Doug Thomas
Never had it, and what he "did" have has lost it.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Strawb » Mon May 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Coorong wrote:For Westies simple...... Doug Thomas
Never had it, and what he "did" have has lost it.

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: I have to agree with that i never saw him play football but he wasn't much of a coach.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby am Bays » Sun May 14, 2006 8:09 pm

Just thought of another one from the mid 90s Mark Tylor,

BAys v North I think (1996)

Tylor, "They not kicking it to me when I lead"

Symo, "You start taking chest marks, and they will"
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby JamesH » Sun May 14, 2006 10:55 pm

North Adelaide: damien McCarthy (came from WWT with a big rep)
Port: Plapp
West: eddie Hocking
JamesH
Under 16s

Postby Bullitt » Mon May 15, 2006 1:55 pm

I know most North supporters say Craig Burrows was the worst, but another Western Australian by the name of Marty Whitelaw was not far behind.
At the Taj or up in the Clare Valley.
Bullitt
Mini-League

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL