AFL Reserves Discussion...

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Are you in favour of the proposal for the Crows Reserves to join the SANFL League competition?

Yes
17%
No
74%
Not fussed either way
9%

Total votes : 201

Re: AFL Reserves Discussion...

Postby on the rails » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 am

What abuse? What do you call a person who makes selfish moronic statements then?

I have to say you Port Adelaide people (go read your own forum TPFP) have nothing but self interest in this debate as you have shown since you tried to back door the SANFL back in 1990 yet you expect us not to respond to defend our own turf! Again that just underlines what most of us non Port people think - your selfish, self serving and self centred!

What you forget is that your club came from the SANFL and no matter how much you think you are owed because of your crowds and dominance over the journey, the League was for decades 8 clubs then then 10 clubs for 4 decades not a one club league of Port Adelaide alone as you would have us believe. All of our clubs contributed not just the PAFC. Is that not too hard a concept to get your selfish little minds around?

FFS no wonder we hate you and your PAFC arrogance - you are your own worst enemies at times to be honest!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby dedja » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 am

... and we'll try to remember not to piss on the Magpies grave when they're dead at the end of the season.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby on the rails » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:21 am

dedja wrote:... and we'll try to remember not to piss on the Magpies grave when they're dead at the end of the season.

I wouldn't waste my urine!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby dedja » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:24 am

True, save it for your mates when they're comatose ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:43 am

on the rails wrote:What abuse? What do you call a person who makes selfish moronic statements then?

I have to say you Port Adelaide people (go read your own forum TPFP) have nothing but self interest in this debate as you have shown since you tried to back door the SANFL back in 1990 yet you expect us not to respond to defend our own turf! Again that just underlines what most of us non Port people think - your selfish, self serving and self centred!

What you forget is that your club came from the SANFL and no matter how much you think you are owed because of your crowds and dominance over the journey, the League was for decades 8 clubs then then 10 clubs for 4 decades not a one club league of Port Adelaide alone as you would have us believe. All of our clubs contributed not just the PAFC. Is that not too hard a concept to get your selfish little minds around?

FFS no wonder we hate you and your PAFC arrogance - you are your own worst enemies at times to be honest!

Nice rant, pity none of it is relevant to what I wrote. How is it selfish to think that AFL players playing in the SANFL reserves, or even worse the SA Amateurs is a ridiculous situation? How is that going to help promote 2 healthy AFL clubs in this state, and therefore promote a healthy SANFL competition that isnt riddled with debt and numerous clubs about to fold?

I dont want afl reserves in the SANFL. I want a standalone AFL reserves competition. Even that will ruin the SANFL which you "selfish morons" havent seemed to grasp yet.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 am

Macca19 wrote:
on the rails wrote:What abuse? What do you call a person who makes selfish moronic statements then?

Nice rant, pity none of it is relevant to what I wrote. How is it selfish to think that AFL players playing in the SANFL reserves, or even worse the SA Amateurs is a ridiculous situation? How is that going to help promote 2 healthy AFL clubs in this state, and therefore promote a healthy SANFL competition that isnt riddled with debt and numerous clubs about to fold?

I dont want afl reserves in the SANFL. I want a standalone AFL reserves competition. Even that will ruin the SANFL which you "selfish morons" havent seemed to grasp yet.

ummmmm how!!!

what portion of an SANFL crowd do you think goes to a game to see how their AFL footballers are going?
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 am

All clubs will need another 10-15 players to fill up 2 teams. Where are these players coming from? How much will the standard drop with 50 of the leagues best players playing elsewhere. How much will this effect crowds and the health of the league?
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:10 am

Macca19 wrote:
Lynwood wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:If the Crows and Power were in the SANFL league, then I'd still attend Eagles v SANFL club games, but seeing as I can only get to a few minor round games a year, it probably doesn't mean much one way or the other.

Still think a viable compromise would be SANFL reserves, with top-up players coming from undrafted u/18's who become a Crow or Power player for that year, but if undrafted after that, are still tied to their SANFL club. Power and Crows get the advantage of looking at players without having to take a gamble eg Nick Joyce, SANFL clubs aren't unduly affected by losing one or two fringe players for a year.

This is the best option, young kids get to play alongside full time players and also SANFL reserves players get some experience playing against AFL players would be a huge benefit to the comp. I am actually all for them entering the Reserves League but only if the top up players are young kids. I would want to see the Power get their own side though not take the Magpies reserves.

Do people honestly think the afl clubs will accept playing in the reserves comp?

Ludicrous.

Why? If the Power and Crows B's are more about development rather than the winning, then I'd hope the Eagles wouldn't play their A-Grade side, especially when some of these players being "developed" are not, and never will be, as good as the top half of our side. Banner? Jacky? D Butcher? Gallagher?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:20 am

Macca19 wrote:All clubs will need another 10-15 players to fill up 2 teams. Where are these players coming from? How much will the standard drop with 50 of the leagues best players playing elsewhere. How much will this effect crowds and the health of the league?

Where are you pulling the 10-15 players from at Centrals we have 4-5 AFL listed players and thats been the most in recent years.

I would be surprised if any club except maybe Sturt and Port have even 10 AFL listed players on their books at the moment nevermind 15.

Personally i dont go to the SANFL for the standard of 'football' im sure most wouldnt either, if they wanted a high standard they would go to the AFL.

I go to the SANFL because of the standard of competition and the fact i grew up supporting Centrals, its also a cost effective way for me and the mates to go out on the piss and have a great time.

None of that would change.
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

A proper AFL reserves competition would IMHO force the AFL to require larger lists from their clubs to make sure all clubs had enough players. The drain on players would firstly establish the AFL reserves competition as the second best in the land and the SANFL would lose a large amount of their best talent. With country and amateur footy offering such rich rewards for the next best lot of players I can see the SANFL losing big time if the AFL brought in a reserves competition. However, from the AFL's perspective it is clearly the best solution.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am

Grahaml wrote:A proper AFL reserves competition would IMHO force the AFL to require larger lists from their clubs to make sure all clubs had enough players. The drain on players would firstly establish the AFL reserves competition as the second best in the land and the SANFL would lose a large amount of their best talent. With country and amateur footy offering such rich rewards for the next best lot of players I can see the SANFL losing big time if the AFL brought in a reserves competition. However, from the AFL's perspective it is clearly the best solution.

Agree with that, but with some AFL clubs struggling financially are they going to be able to afford an increase in salary cap or are the AFL willing to subsidise some coin for them.

Also i think if there was an increase in AFL lists the AFL would most likely go down the path of extending the rookie lists therefore less of a salary cap increase.

Also what we might find is if the AFL reserves go ahead then the lure of playing SANFL may get a fair few back to the SANFL from the country leagues as there will be more spots available.

The SANFL will still be the next tier down from the AFL (as the AFL reserves will be already listed AFL footballers) so footballers will still be only one really good season away from being potentially on an AFL list.
Last edited by whufc on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am

whufc wrote:
Macca19 wrote:All clubs will need another 10-15 players to fill up 2 teams. Where are these players coming from? How much will the standard drop with 50 of the leagues best players playing elsewhere. How much will this effect crowds and the health of the league?

Where are you pulling the 10-15 players from at Centrals we have 4-5 AFL listed players and thats been the most in recent years.

I would be surprised if any club except maybe Sturt and Port have even 10 AFL listed players on their books at the moment nevermind 15.

Personally i dont go to the SANFL for the standard of 'football' im sure most wouldnt either, if they wanted a high standard they would go to the AFL.

I go to the SANFL because of the standard of competition and the fact i grew up supporting Centrals, its also a cost effective way for me and the mates to go out on the piss and have a great time.

Did you read my post at all. A standalone reserves comp would mean bigger afl lists or a supplementary list, meaning another 10-15 players per afl club, meaning more sanfl players out of the sanfl
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 am

Macca19 wrote:
whufc wrote:

Did you read my post at all. A standalone reserves comp would mean bigger afl lists or a supplementary list, meaning another 10-15 players per afl club, meaning more sanfl players out of the sanfl

Like i said say if they get rookie list players on 40K a year do you think Port are in a position to afford another 400K a year in player payments nevermind the extra costs to put these guys on the park etc etc.

What i think the AFL would look at to extend lists is having 'young' footballers on a scholarship scheme of some sort. Example being each club gets ten 16-18 year olds who are part time footballers while completing year 12 and some sort of scholarship with the benefit of the help of the AFL club. They dont train as much as the full time footballers and are only available to play in the AFL reserves.
Last edited by whufc on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:51 am

Macca19 wrote:
Lynwood wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:If the Crows and Power were in the SANFL league, then I'd still attend Eagles v SANFL club games, but seeing as I can only get to a few minor round games a year, it probably doesn't mean much one way or the other.

Still think a viable compromise would be SANFL reserves, with top-up players coming from undrafted u/18's who become a Crow or Power player for that year, but if undrafted after that, are still tied to their SANFL club. Power and Crows get the advantage of looking at players without having to take a gamble eg Nick Joyce, SANFL clubs aren't unduly affected by losing one or two fringe players for a year.

This is the best option, young kids get to play alongside full time players and also SANFL reserves players get some experience playing against AFL players would be a huge benefit to the comp. I am actually all for them entering the Reserves League but only if the top up players are young kids. I would want to see the Power get their own side though not take the Magpies reserves.

Do people honestly think the afl clubs will accept playing in the reserves comp?

Ludicrous.

Why is playing in Sanfl reserves beneath you ??? If you really think its imperative to have your players play in the same team. Why is this a ludicrous suggestion,

What would you prefer NEAFL instead of SANFL reserves. :-)
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:57 am

UK Fan wrote:
Macca19 wrote:
Lynwood wrote:

Ludicrous.

Why is playing in Sanfl reserves beneath you ??? If you really think its imperative to have your players play in the same team. Why is this a ludicrous suggestion,

What would you prefer NEAFL instead of SANFL reserves. :-)

Or more to the point do we think the AFL clubs have a say in whether they play in the SANFL league or reserves. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:26 pm

beenreal wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
beenreal wrote:
Lynwood wrote:Agree hosting them in our reserves is the best option for the league. I would like to see U18s moved to before the league though if this happens

So by your continued disdain for the Port Adelaide Football Club, you are willing to inconvenience all supporters who want to watch their Reserves team play prior to the League?

Is prefer them in reserves(dessy). We could make even more money out of afl fans without compromising our league.

The Crows Dessy game would be when the league had the bye. You'd get a good home crowd when the club would be earning no match day funds. Even if its $2-$5 entry. Plus an away game at AAMI.

Port Magpie home/away crowds should increase with the prematch being power reserves.

win win.

Nice editing UK.

I find talk of compromising the league highly ironic from a supporter of a club so keen to gain the second AFL License, they actually tabled withdrawing from the SANFL and relaunching themselves as a standalone AFL club.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=p7w64fbq ... 7w64fbqYQY

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Macca19 wrote:
whufc wrote:

If we get an extra 10 juniors drafted we will get $$$$$$

So all good.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby LPH » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:52 pm

There in lies the problem - they have never HAD to chose one over the other, they could have both & they still will.
Whilst the rest of us have to compromise what we've striven hard to keep viable post ('91 initially) 1997.
Phil Harper's vitriol is laughable.
Keith Thomas continues to grin.
The SANFL stay silent!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby kickinit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 pm

whufc wrote:Agree with that, but with some AFL clubs struggling financially are they going to be able to afford an increase in salary cap or are the AFL willing to subsidise some coin for them.

Also i think if there was an increase in AFL lists the AFL would most likely go down the path of extending the rookie lists therefore less of a salary cap increase.

Also what we might find is if the AFL reserves go ahead then the lure of playing SANFL may get a fair few back to the SANFL from the country leagues as there will be more spots available.

The SANFL will still be the next tier down from the AFL (as the AFL reserves will be already listed AFL footballers) so footballers will still be only one really good season away from being potentially on an AFL list.

the afl will have to subsidise coin to the teams they still hold the license to. But for teams like the power and crows whose license is held by the sanfl, it means the sanfl will have to hand out the coin to keep them alive. If the teams do go in to a standalone reserves team you can guarantee the AFl won't buy back the license for this exact reason. Pretty much the SANFL clubs will be put into a situation where the only choice for them will be the crows and power having a team in the sanfl.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:00 pm

kickinit wrote:
whufc wrote:Agree with that, but with some AFL clubs struggling financially are they going to be able to afford an increase in salary cap or are the AFL willing to subsidise some coin for them.

the afl will have to subsidise coin to the teams they still hold the license to. But for teams like the power and crows whose license is held by the sanfl, it means the sanfl will have to hand out the coin to keep them alive. If the teams do go in to a standalone reserves team you can guarantee the AFl won't buy back the license for this exact reason. Pretty much the SANFL clubs will be put into a situation where the only choice for them will be the crows and power having a team in the sanfl.

The afl will be buying the licences in November of this year

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL