Roe's Last Chance

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Roe's Last Chance

Postby Macca19 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:48 am

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy/story_page/0,8747,17141542%255E25397,00.html

Roe's last chance
bY ANDREW CAPEL
05nov05

THE player dubbed the "next Robran" by North Adelaide coach Andrew Jarman is being courted by the Power.

Jason Roe, who was the SANFL full back in the interstate clash with the VFL last season, has accepted an offer to train with Port Adelaide during pre-season training and is hopeful of being thrown an AFL lifeline at the November 26 national draft.
"Peter Rohde (Port football operations manager) asked if I wanted to do pre-season with them and I said 'yeah, bloody oath'," Roe, 21, said.

"All I've ever really wanted to do is play in the AFL and this is probably my last chance so I want to have a real crack at it."

The high-marking, long-kicking Roe is arguably the most gifted player in the SANFL, thrilling Roosters supporters in the past two seasons after being lured from Darwin by Jarman. It is his dazzling array of skills which prompted Jarman to refer to him as the "next Robran" after North's greatest player, triple Magarey Medallist Barrie Robran.

A rookie-list player with Collingwood in 2003, Roe's talent has never been questioned but his commitment to the game has.

"Certainly when I was at Collingwood I wasn't as committed as I should have been," the 192cm Roe said yesterday. "I was a bit young, not really ready for the AFL and probably got caught up in the limelight a bit. And I didn't work as hard as I should have when I got injured."

Roe says he has matured, has changed his ways and is hell-bent on reviving his AFL career. Approached by Port three weeks ago, Roe, whose athleticism allows him to play in almost any position, has ticked off every box of a tough fitness program mapped out by Power fitness coach David Arnfield. He is running six days a week, has shed 2kg from his then-84kg frame and says he has never felt fitter, despite an injured collarbone.

"Right now I feel pretty good about myself," Roe said.

A cousin of new Power recruit Daniel Motlop and good friends with Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Roe was restricted to 16 games after breaking his left collarbone twice and his left hand.

His collarbone, which he last broke against the Eagles in the first semi-final, has still not fully healed, meaning Roe must avoid physical contact for another five weeks and delaying his training with the Power until the full squad gathers next Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly a very talented player that can perform well at either end of the ground. Quick, tall, fairly strong, great skills. I was surprised he wasnt picked up last year, at least as a rookie. Would say he would definately be picked up at some stage this year...either by the Power or someone else.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:00 am

I'm in 2 minds whether Roey's up for AFL or not, I'm glad he's staying in SA though, worse comes to worse he'd still play a majority of games with us.

The fact he payed the final with the broken collarbone is a testament to his courage, I was out at the huddle at 3/4 time when he couldn't even lift his arm and went off for an injection to continue playing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:11 am

While most of us bag The Advertiser they deserve a compliment for their club by club progress report today. Cant say ive seen this coverage before in November...keep it up
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dog_ger » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:18 pm

Wedge, the only thing Roey needs at this level is confidence. Bloodyhell he's the state fullback last season. I think a lot of it at this level is you have to click in with the right people. Thats Life. Click in and your there....?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Board index   Football  SANFL