All discussions to do with the SANFL

Postby Coorong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:31 pm

TB, ??????????????
Coorong
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:51 pm

This one will be thrashed out over email...

BTW...Norm has some worthy points...not saying he's entirely right but there are 2 good arguments here.

Firstly, this site came about RATHER quickly after the close-down of footysa, which was closed down for very good reasons...

Secondly, while I'm keen to see footysa back up and running again as it was, it's current set-up is not conducive to "rapid" comment sharing...I think the boys need a bit more credit than MANY former footysaers are giving them.

Some people are and were FAR too quick to not only jump off footysa, but also to slag the footysa boys off. That's quite disappointing and why the fugg would they give up their own time now to run a site for such a "quick to stick the knife in" bunch of people?

I'll support both sites...but I won't be jumping the footysa ship like TOO many others have.
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:52 pm

Could be the milkdrinker he's been trolling the Roost recently
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Coorong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:00 pm

Never seen a Norm Chad on Footysa.

TB, dont think anyone of us has jumped. But the old site is damn frustrating at the mo. I have two windows open and check regularly hoping to see the sire "as was"
Coorong
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:47 pm

TB, I've explained why I brought this site up so quickly as I've been involved in forums falling apart before and groups just being lost in cyberspace. CA told me Footysa was no longer and I took him for his word.
I don't see anyone bagging footysa in here, I personally was in there daily and made more posts than anyone else so I'd be bagging myself if I did!
My other main reason is forums with moderated posts only just don't have the same vibes as the one's that are more fun.
I'm not even going to consider writing articles, making premiership ladders, creating wikis, etc on this site, I'll leave that to the footysa guys who have always done a fantastic job of it.
As for "cashing in", Im not sure how I can make money out of this, quite the opposite and as explained this forum did have CAs blessing, if he'd told me not to go ahead with it as footysa was coming back as it used to I wouldn't have gone ahead.

I can see some of the more immature people creating an "us" v "them" environment which I'm certainly not going to be apart of, I just love my SANFL and talking about t.

Play on....
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:03 pm

Can't recall using the term "cashing in". :?:
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:05 pm

TigerBoss wrote:.....while I'm keen to see footysa back up and running again as it was, it's current set-up is not conducive to "rapid" comment sharing...I think the boys need a bit more credit than MANY former footysaers are giving them.

Some people are and were FAR too quick to not only jump off footysa, but also to slag the footysa boys off. That's quite disappointing and why the fugg would they give up their own time now to run a site for such a "quick to stick the knife in" bunch of people?

I'll support both sites...but I won't be jumping the footysa ship like TOO many others have.

TiggerBruce. Your posts on this thread lack your usual good nature and humour. As I said earlier in this thread users WILL go elsewhere if functionality is not available that is a fact of Information Management/Technology from user interfaces to software design.

While not many people have been giving credit to the Footy Essay boys, I haven't read any comments that actually blast them either. Do you expect people to hand out bouquets when a service has suddenly been removed?

Footy Essay is a good site and comments posted at the mo aren't taking too long to be posted but I fear the 'good old days' of Footy Essay may be over. Hardly sticking the knife in is it? There isn't two sides...merely two sites.

cheers,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby rod_rooster » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:TB, I've explained why I brought this site up so quickly as I've been involved in forums falling apart before and groups just being lost in cyberspace. CA told me Footysa was no longer and I took him for his word.
I don't see anyone bagging footysa in here, I personally was in there daily and made more posts than anyone else so I'd be bagging myself if I did!
My other main reason is forums with moderated posts only just don't have the same vibes as the one's that are more fun.
I'm not even going to consider writing articles, making premiership ladders, creating wikis, etc on this site, I'll leave that to the footysa guys who have always done a fantastic job of it.
As for "cashing in", Im not sure how I can make money out of this, quite the opposite and as explained this forum did have CAs blessing, if he'd told me not to go ahead with it as footysa was coming back as it used to I wouldn't have gone ahead.

I can see some of the more immature people creating an "us" v "them" environment which I'm certainly not going to be apart of, I just love my SANFL and talking about t.

Play on....

Great post Wedgie.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:07 pm

TigerBoss wrote:Can't recall using the term "cashing in". :?:

I was referring to norman chad's post.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:12 pm

Perhaps REB...I've never been good dealing with "change". :lol:

I'll warm to it...but I also have my loyalties.

As for the "sticking the knife in" reference...several (no need to mention names) have commented here and on other threads on this site that they are "reluctant" to return to footysa. Their choice, but it shows a severe ignorance to the reasoning behind why footysa chose to do what they did.

This site will still be impacted on by trolls...and once this site gets discovered by more and more people, it too MAY have the difficulties that footysa had with troll-based comments and other libel issues.

Footysa had moderators too...it's just that some people can't sit up til 3am to monitor a site to keep it clean...

I'll "play on" because I love doing what I'm doing now, discussing footy with some blokes/chicks that love the game that I love.

My sense of humour will have to wait for another day REB...but here's a sneak peak for you :lol: .
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:16 pm

I was a mod at footysa, still isn't helping me at the moment, no posts in the last 24 hours have gone up, I've emailed the footysa guys to see if it can be fixed though.

Hiya Guys,

As I said to CA great to see you guys are up in some shape or form.

I'm having problems though, everything I've posted since the site was down hasn't come up in either the forum or the main part of the site. Shall I try logging in under Rocket Rooster like I did for a while before when there was troubles or do you guys want to investigate?

Look forward to a response.

Cheers,

Wedgie.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby smithy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:30 pm

TigerBoss wrote:Firstly, this site came about RATHER quickly after the close-down of footysa, which was closed down for very good reasons...

In all fairness TB, you will find a post on one of the footysa forums stating that Wedgie was going to set up an SANFL forum about a week before they shut it down.
smithy

Postby Coorong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:32 pm

That post from memory was as a result of CA (no iam not and have never bagged CA or footysa) making a comment about how close they were to shutting the whole thing down. Would be about a week ago.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:14 pm

nai promptly got back to me sayint they still had some things to work through and to try Rocket Rooster instead of Wedgie.
At least I know its not personal, Good on nai for emailing me back so promptly too, class act.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby zipzap » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll go back to Footy SA when they have a forum that works as well as this. Cheers Wedgie.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:05 am

It's interesting that I posted a couple of times on there today, and they weren't added (far from being deleteable material). However, other posts were allowed after the time I posted; whilst checking the correct time (SA time). If they can get it right in terms of disclaimer statements and Dissidents' post (can't remember exactly what it was, but it made sense), it should be back to what it was. I will still post here and there if it gets back to its' former state.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:06 am

I'll put my "Any player you can think of" thread on here as well.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby zipzap » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 am

spell_check wrote:I'll put my "Any player you can think of" thread on here as well.

Why?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby PhilH » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:31 am

No one's making any money from these web sites so I don't know how anyone has cashed in.

Wedgie had provided a great service to North, South & Norwood fans with forums, it's great he has come to the aid of the rest of us here.

Like a lot of you I felt pretty sick when I read the initial decision by the lads to pull down all comments on the footysa.com site.

It was not a knee jerk reaction, things had been building for a while.

Unlike other "unofficial" sites the footysa lads are a bit more sensative to slanderous crap that gets posted for they have been trying to establish a mainstream profile for their site within the SANFL community

Despite perceptions to the opposite the SANFL has "unoffically" supported the site by providing media accreditation to the footysa.com crew and by allowing their nominated article last year to be accepted as "print" at the SANFL media awards (which won the category).

Ask Bigfooty or Crikey about their AFL accreditation & you will note a very different attitude by the SANFL towards footysa.com

They set up they site with the main aim of helping promote the SANFL and provide information to local footy fans.

In many ways the site's growth & popularity has exceeded all expectations, with up to 12,000 page views per day and one SANFL Media Award won

However its a fine balancing act between maintaining a comprehensive site on a part time basis, allowing freedom of speech yet keeping everything legal and respectable.

The regular infestation of trolls in recent weeks plus the loss of dg to England has tipped over that balance to the point we got to last week.

So what happens from here ?

My hope is worst case scenario is that footysa.com continues to provide, indeed expand its SANFL coverage (ie news stories & features) and links up with this site for the forum part.

I do have some plans for info going on the site over the next six months that WILL EXCITE SANFL fans.

The only other alternative I can see is for the team to set up a resticted members only area to post / view comments (at real time) for a nominal fee.

Enough effort & cost to keep out the trolls but not much of an effort for the diehards who want to talk SANFL.

Time will tell ..... I hope that those that love SANFL footy on the net appreciate the efforts that both Wedgie and the footysa.com lads have put into this service over recent years and will support both during the months ahead.

Regards
Phil Herden.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Wedgie » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:35 am

Excellent post Phil.
I thank you for your support and your service to the SANFL and its fans.
I also agree 100% with your comments about the footysa lads.
I eagerly await what you next have in store for SANFL fans, we're lucky to have ya champ! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL