Additions to State Squad

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 pm

I'd have Schell and Lindsday in the side so I half agree with you and half disagree with you eaglehaslanded.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: WHAT A JOKE

Postby spell_check » Thu May 18, 2006 10:22 pm

eaglehaslanded wrote:What a joke, that Daniel Schell has been added after hardly any games played this season. Mark Passador is easily one of the best forwards of the competition and yet still even after Chambers was taken out they couldn't find a spot for him. Just a bit stiff if you ask me. And what about joke no.2. Still no Paul Lindsay in the squad either. How the SANFL expects to win this game is beyond me without the best ruckman in the state playing. SANFL and it's selectors are a disgrace and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sandgropers win this one.

I'm not so fussed about Passador not being in there - he deserves to be, but Schell should do well. Although I am still surprised/not happy that Lindsay isn't in there - he has been in the State team for the past three matches and I don't see what the difference is this time. After all he is leading in the hit outs.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby drebin » Thu May 18, 2006 10:22 pm

Last edited by drebin on Tue May 23, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drebin

Postby sydney-dog » Thu May 18, 2006 10:23 pm

i would also think if Cowan backs up this week with another strong performance his name too will come under the selectors eye
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby am Bays » Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:
Aerie wrote:
drebin wrote:
sus wrote:Ill have another crack at picking a final team based on the new squad:

F: Warren, Schell, Kenna
HF: Borlace, Gill, Inkster
C: Fisher, Sheedy, Backwell
HB: Thomas (Capt), Baird, Powell
B: McKenzie, AhChee, Ivens

R: Kirk, Gowans, Clayton, J

Int: Parry, Howard, Campbell, Clayton, M (V-C)

Wouldnt risk Wintle with a hammy I presume?

I don't think Gill will play for SA either as he will miss this Friday night especially if Motlop gets the boot from the Power - another week off plus missing the State game and then back fit and ready for the Eagles game.

The State team really should be playing Gill, Wintle etc. I'd rest up Inkster, Powell and McKenzie though.

Does anyone else just hope their teams star players get through the game without injury and not really care about the result or is it just me? Surely there is just as much honour in just naming the SANFL Team of the Year on Magarey Medal night or something, as opposed to playing a game full of highly paid interstate recruits and bragging we're the best league outside AFL just because we can afford it.

Yep, I'm with you Aero ..

Mate if you saw Nick Chigwiddens face when he was overlooked for the State team in 1994, for those SA footy Stalwarts Scott Loving, Chris Wittmann, Scott Simister..... Then you'll know how much pulling on an SA guernsey means to some players......

No coincidence that night two of our best players were S Burns and Richard Kelly two very passionate croweaters. You could see it in Whittmans eyes he had no idea who Fos Willliams was when he got the medal in his name...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby spell_check » Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 pm

I was at that game, played on Tuesday Night I think at Football Park. The last time SA has lost to WA, kicked poorly on a warm night with a fair amount of breeze.
spell_check
Coach

Postby spell_check » Thu May 18, 2006 10:31 pm

State Game 1994
W.A 4.5 5.5 7.11 10.14 (74)
S.A 0.5 3.14 4.16 7.18 (60)
Football Park, 17561
spell_check
Coach

Postby Aerie » Thu May 18, 2006 10:53 pm

drebin wrote:Geez eaglehaslanded - only a "diehard one eyed" Eagles fan would put Passador ahead of Schell and even they wouldn't be confident in their pick. Now Gill has pulled out maybe that ex-North B grader Grocke will get called up (P.S. Even with half our side missing he wouldn't get a game in Seniors at North still!!!) :roll:

Did Grocke ever play in the back lines at North drebin? He actually looks a little more comfortable back there and has played a fair amount of game time in the back half since Round 3. He may have been handy for you in the Semi last year. Couldn't have been worse than any others you had back there.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby eaglehaslanded » Thu May 18, 2006 10:59 pm

drebin wrote:Geez eaglehaslanded - only a "diehard one eyed" Eagles fan would put Passador ahead of Schell and even they wouldn't be confident in their pick. Now Gill has pulled out maybe that ex-North B grader Grocke will get called up (P.S. Even with half our side missing he wouldn't get a game in Seniors at North still!!!) :roll:

No not at all drebin. I just think Passador has the form on the board so far this season mate and Schell is only just coming back from injury. There has to be a lot of risk invilved in his selection.
"We're the mighty Eagles"
eaglehaslanded
League - Best 21

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Central United

Re: WHAT A JOKE

Postby eaglehaslanded » Thu May 18, 2006 11:03 pm

spell_check wrote:
eaglehaslanded wrote:What a joke, that Daniel Schell has been added after hardly any games played this season. Mark Passador is easily one of the best forwards of the competition and yet still even after Chambers was taken out they couldn't find a spot for him. Just a bit stiff if you ask me. And what about joke no.2. Still no Paul Lindsay in the squad either. How the SANFL expects to win this game is beyond me without the best ruckman in the state playing. SANFL and it's selectors are a disgrace and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sandgropers win this one.

I'm not so fussed about Passador not being in there - he deserves to be, but Schell should do well. Although I am still surprised/not happy that Lindsay isn't in there - he has been in the State team for the past three matches and I don't see what the difference is this time. After all he is leading in the hit outs.

agreed spelly I beleive when choosing any position, current form has to be a factor and Lindsay is streets ahead of any ruckman in the comp and in fact has not been beaten all season.
"We're the mighty Eagles"
eaglehaslanded
League - Best 21

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Central United

Postby sydney-dog » Fri May 19, 2006 7:57 am

I agree in regards to Lindsay, he has been the best big man in the comp for a few years now
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Postby drebin » Fri May 19, 2006 9:06 am

Aerie wrote:

Did Grocke ever play in the back lines at North drebin? He actually looks a little more comfortable back there and has played a fair amount of game time in the back half since Round 3. He may have been handy for you in the Semi last year. Couldn't have been worse than any others you had back there.

Last edited by drebin on Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drebin

Postby doggies4eva » Fri May 19, 2006 9:17 am

Schell has been the form forward over the last two seasons. Its only a squad at this stage so the selectors have another game to consider current form and fitness. Having said that I would still have Passadore in my squad. There would be room in the team for both of them.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby sus » Fri May 19, 2006 2:49 pm

drebin wrote:
Aerie wrote:

They tried him eveyywhere at North - even in the ruck!. You wait aerie, his "slide" has started back to the B's. Recruited as the big white hope at CHF for the Eagles and halfway through the Easter Sat. game against Norwood he was moved from CHF (due to not getting the footy) to CHB. This was noticed and commented on by some North players standing with us that day. Next move it will be to FB then bench then B's. His stats back that up. He is soft for a big man and you guys will lose patience with him like they did at North. Still I could be proved wrong (not that it happens that often! :wink: )

P.S. Re last years finals - I would take Jason Roe with a broken collarbone over Grocke any day. Guess which one is playing AFL football?

Grocke hasnt palyed a "soft" game for the Eagles yet Drebin and has contributed in each and every game this year. In fact his best games were when the side was going poorly which reflects well on the lad. Your right he was moved v Norwood because he was struggling a bit, but most of the time when he's been moved its been to patch up the back lines.

Maybe his failure at North says more about North than it does about Grocke. At the Eagles I suspect he would never be expected to take 10 marks, get 20 possies, and kick 5 goals. At the Eagles their game plans are markedly different and they probably expect very different things from their CHF. And have generally been very successful doing it that way.

I think your just trying to cover up your own club's weakness in terms of compromising young player development at the expense of buying in high profile recruits for short term gain.
sus
Rookie

Postby drebin » Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Yep sus **
drebin

Postby sus » Fri May 19, 2006 4:44 pm

drebin wrote:Yep sus - no youngsters in our line-up this week! :roll: 2 made their debuts last week aged 17 and 18 and kept their places and another 17 yr old will debut this week. What does that tell you? (other than we have a big injury list)

Grocke was given repeated opportunities at North and in the years we struggled couldn't command a spot so we had to go and find alternatives through recruiting. He couldn't even get a regular gig when rookie listed with the Power. He just never developed and kicked on as potential suggested he would when he was younger and patience wore out.

He chose to leave knowing he would not be in the Seniors mix this year given our recruits. So good luck to him but other than his first game his stats haven't been outstanding and i don't think he is up to regualr league football IMO.

P.S. We compromised our youth development so much last year we won every grade except the Seniors!

I wish I never mentioned his name as this topic has lost it's way!

Time will tell!
sus
Rookie

Postby Dogsbody » Tue May 23, 2006 12:06 pm

More eliminations last night...

Adam Fisher and Daniel Kirk from Glenelg, Luke Ivens from North.
ARRIVE... RAISE HELL... LEAVE.
Dogsbody
Under 18s

Postby sus » Tue May 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Another go now the final 22 has been picked:

HF: Borlace, Baird, Inkster
C: Campbell, Sheedy, Backwell
HB: Thomas (Capt), McKenzie, Powell
B: Eichner, AhChee, Whiteman

R: Parry, Gowans, Clayton, J

Int: OHara, Howard, Hughes, Clayton, M (V-C)
Em: Gallagher

Lacking a key position forward - specifically a proven CHF. They are going to have to pinch hit a Baird, Archee, or McKenzie or play Schell at CHF and pinch hit in the FP. Cant say I agree with this. If they do use Schell at CHF I think this is a mistake - lacks footy. But in saying that lucky they have McKenzie in because he will plug ALL gaps beautifully - could play anywhere and could easily play at CHF if necessary.
sus
Rookie

Postby drebin » Tue May 23, 2006 1:14 pm

sus wrote:Another go now the final 22 has been picked:

Lacking a key position forward - specifically a proven CHF. They are going to have to pinch hit a Baird, Archee, or McKenzie or play Schell at CHF and pinch hit in the FP. Cant say I agree with this. If they do use Schell at CHF I think this is a mistake - lacks footy. But in saying that lucky they have McKenzie in because he will plug ALL gaps beautifully - could play anywhere and could easily play at CHF if necessary.

drebin

Postby Blue Boy » Tue May 23, 2006 1:50 pm

drebin wrote:
sus wrote:Another go now the final 22 has been picked:

Why would they pick Baird, the form CHB in the league then play him at CHF? Play Schell at CHF and Warren at FF. It is not going to be a night for a lot of overhead marks with it likely to be "dewy" and slippery so height is not going to be an issue overall.

Name your side then Drebin !!!
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL