Salary cap needs to be raised ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Salary cap needs to be raised ?

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:21 am

AFL were concerned that SANFL would become such a powerful comp that it would destroy comps like the VFL. New rules around transfer fees and salary cap then brought in. The real killer of the VFL is now going to be the AFL themselves through their AFL clubs.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby holden78 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

The salary cap acts as a governor to stop clubs losing the plot every so often and then needing a bail out . Changing club boards and philosophies need that security net from themselves at times , but a structured points system is an idea with possibilities Id say . No surprise though a North fan wants open slather ; we gave you Hill recently , what more could you ask heh Wedge surely you dont want Grocke back ? ;)
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby frontfoot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm

am Bays wrote:I can't be ar5ed looking for it but 2 years ago on here I said the SANFL and the VFL/WAFL clubs for that matter, should all have salary caps 10% of what an AFL club is (currently ours is less than 3%) and the AFL should part fund it.

That way the kids trying to make it to the AFL are partly properly recompensed for their hours of dedication to the dream that is spun their way by the AFL and for those that just miss out or are coming back out of the AFL have can follow their career path for a period of time that they have dedicated 5-10 years of the best of their lives to.

I'm struggling to think of any other profession where the elite are so over paid compared to the masses.

I 100% agree with this.

Did Prendergast ever set up a Players association in the SANFL ????
frontfoot
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 am

Yes he did.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Agile » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

holden78 wrote:The salary cap acts as a governor to stop clubs losing the plot every so often and then needing a bail out . Changing club boards and philosophies need that security net from themselves at times , but a structured points system is an idea with possibilities Id say . No surprise though a North fan wants open slather ; we gave you Hill recently , what more could you ask heh Wedge surely you dont want Grocke back ? ;)

If you are refering to me you are wrong. I certainly dont want open slather but a way needs to be developed to retain these up and coming players in the SANFL. It makes no sense for the young blokes that are a level above to be stacked into a country club or city am club and then completely dominate a comp. Has happened and as a side lite has killed some ambition in some country leagues.IMHO.
As for "giving" NAFC Mr Hill , you must have your tounge firmly in both cheeks. Young Hill is a bit like a Mr Miles I hope. Limited opps at the Eagles, was pretty well told he wouldnt get a game in the seniors and made the move on that basis. Agreed? Miles has fitted in niceley at the Roosters and I am sure you would wish him all the best. I,m hoping for the same from Hill. In the SANFL, not the next level down. Agreed?
It,s a Great Great Club, and the Club we Love, We,re the good Old Red and White
The Mighty Roosters we,re called , All for One and One for All
Agile
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Agile » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Agile wrote:
holden78 wrote:The salary cap acts as a governor to stop clubs losing the plot every so often and then needing a bail out . Changing club boards and philosophies need that security net from themselves at times , but a structured points system is an idea with possibilities Id say . No surprise though a North fan wants open slather ; we gave you Hill recently , what more could you ask heh Wedge surely you dont want Grocke back ? ;)

If you are refering to me you are wrong. I certainly dont want open slather but a way needs to be developed to retain these up and coming players in the SANFL. It makes no sense for the young blokes that are a level above to be stacked into a country club or city am club and then completely dominate a comp. Has happened and as a side lite has killed some ambition in some country leagues.IMHO.
As for "giving" NAFC Mr Hill , you must have your tounge firmly in both cheeks. Young Hill is a bit like a Mr Miles I hope. Limited opps at the Eagles, was pretty well told he wouldnt get a game in the seniors and made the move on that basis. Agreed? Miles has fitted in niceley at the Roosters and I am sure you would wish him all the best. I,m hoping for the same from Hill. In the SANFL, not the next level down. Agreed?

Oh yeah, and Grocke. A bloody good player who the NAFC let slip through to the enemy. Did it have anything to do with the previous coaching panels view of him? Could very well have had a lot to do with it along with not violating the salary cap. IMHO. The rest of us on this side of the fence were bloody agast
It,s a Great Great Club, and the Club we Love, We,re the good Old Red and White
The Mighty Roosters we,re called , All for One and One for All
Agile
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 am

Wedgie wrote:Get rid of the salary cap.
If some sort of "evener" is needed for the comp then bring in a complex, fair and easy to manage/understand points system.

I don't see how this can possibly work. The SANFL itself does not generate enough revenue to support it. They basically have to pay to be televised, and their sponsorship is minimal.

You can blame them all you like, but the AFL clubs are not making enough money to support themselves and the SANFL comp.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 am

Maybe one of the SANFL clubs should get Israel Folau on board as a sponsor?
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm

A bump of an old topic from 2012.

SANFL Salary Cap from what I could find through the years

2008 $400,000
2012 $360,000
2019 $400,000
2021 $210,000 (Covid)
2023 $300,000 (can anyone confirm this?)

The above is payment for the whole team, I presume that includes reserves players.

The new AFL CBA has been announced with the average individual AFL wage to climb from $387,000 to $519,000 in 2027. An instant increase of 10%. It was $283,000 in 2014 when the Crows and Power entered reserves sides in the SANFL competition and $240,000 in 2008.

The AFLW salary will increase 29% effective immediately to a total of $32.3 million across the league. That is an average wage of about $56,000 per player.

The average wage for Australians in 2008 was around $48k. In 2023 it is around $68k.

I don't know what all this means. But all I can deduce is that back in 2008 the SANFL players were better off than they are now. Plus in 2008 the SANFL clubs owned the 2 AFL licences and still owned Football Park and its surroundings.

Meanwhile the AFL players average salary will have more than doubled in 20 years and this CBA in particular is a huge leap for both the men and women.

Our Magarey medallist is advertising if anyone has a room to rent in his acceptance speech.

Should the players at SANFL level expect a share from the increased revenue growth in the game?

If each senior player on an AFL list (684 players at 18 clubs) sacrificed 3.5% of their wage, by 2027, every standalone tier 1 state league club (that is the 23 clubs in the SANFL, WAFL and VFL) could have a salary cap of $540,000. That would be getting back to about par of what it was in 2008 in terms of a league player subsidising their employment.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby MannyK » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:42 pm

Wrote this on the Redlegs forum a couple of weeks back.

"The low salary cap is killing our comp.
Obviously the AFL want few mature age or AFL delisted players in the state comps so that we churn out as many possible future AFL players but its dropping our standard of footy and we are losing supporters going to the games.
Its very easy to stop coming to games but very difficult to get people back especially with free live coverage of all the games making it easier to stay home."

Something needs to be done quickly.
MannyK

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby whybother » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:24 pm

"Over the AFL's dead body will the cap be raised....."

We can only hope and promise to go to the funeral
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:26 pm

This is something the AFLPA should take ownership of, give near or exiting AFL players some more incentive to stay in 2nd tier leagues for longer, would benefit everyone.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:39 am

am Bays wrote:I can't be ar5ed looking for it but 2 years ago on here I said the SANFL and the VFL/WAFL clubs for that matter, should all have salary caps 10% of what an AFL club is (currently ours is less than 3%) and the AFL should part fund it.

That way the kids trying to make it to the AFL are partly properly recompensed for their hours of dedication to the dream that is spun their way by the AFL and for those that just miss out or are coming back out of the AFL have can follow their career path for a period of time that they have dedicated 5-10 years of the best of their lives to.

I'm struggling to think of any other profession where the elite are so over paid compared to the masses.

*In best Richie Benaud 12th man voice*

Yup, well I couldn’t agree with me more there…
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 am

Increase the revenue they generate and income will go up accordingly.

Off you go....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:55 am

Booney wrote:Increase the revenue they generate and income will go up accordingly.

Off you go....

Especially when the AFL teams leave soon
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:15 am

Booney wrote:Increase the revenue they generate and income will go up accordingly.

Off you go....

This is the SANFL thread mate not the AFLW….

It’s all one game mate, by your argument there’d be no funding for development or community footy from the AFL
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby The Apostle » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:36 pm

Just find some cashed up sponsors and start handing out fat brown paper bags......like Norwood did 10 odd years ago or North during the Robert Gerard years (ALLEGEDLY!)......I wanna hear Wedgie deny that one!
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Been liked: 16 times

Postby DOC » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:39 pm

Pretty funny from a former Centrals supporter.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby The Apostle » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:44 pm

DOC wrote:Pretty funny from a former Centrals supporter.

Free TVs and DVD players is our thing....best $5000 we ever spent! 8)
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Been liked: 16 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL