Sturts Pokies In Trouble

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Sturts Pokies In Trouble

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:12 pm

Just read this on footysa:

Unfortunately for the Sturt Football Club, the Cremorne Hotel has lodged the only objection to the Double Blues moving their pokies from Oxford Tce to Unley road.

"We are extremely disappointed that the proprietors of the Cremorne Hotel have decided to object to our application. The application to transfer our gaming operations was seen as a key component in our planning to secure the financial future of both clubs.

If the objection is successful it puts our long term future in serious doubt. The Board and Management will do whatever it takes to either resolve or defeat the objection.” said President Richard Allen.

Bad news for Sturt, hopefully it can be resolved, I hope Nick X doesn't jump on board with the Cremorne like he did originally with the Northern.

Aren't the Cremorne a sponsor of Sturt or are those buses to Unley Oval they advertise just done off their own back?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:28 pm

From what I have heard the buses are for their own purposes - ie to get more patrons on game days.

I hope they get it sorted, makes it more and more difficult not to be on an equal stage financially with most other clubs.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:32 pm

There were ads on the radio by the Cremorne, they were running some sort of a shuttle from the hotel to "Sturt" oval. Pokies have turned everyone associated with them into whores. It is a tragedy that our SANFL clubs have to rely so heavily on these evil bloody things for survival.

PS Having said that I hope Sturt suceeds, I would rather see them get the money than the Pub.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Coorong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:36 pm

You probably would'nt say that Mick, if you owned the pub.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Very perceptive, Coorong, like I said, whores, yours truly included if I was a pub owner
mick
League - Best 21

Postby Gilly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:51 pm

For Sturt's sake I hope it doesn't cost them the $$$ that it did with North (and then they ended up with the lease on the Northern anyway). Maybe Sturt can bid for the lease on the Cremorne ;) As much as I hate the pokies, the government made a huge mistake allowing them in pubs instead of exclusively to sporting and community clubs.

I see that North look like getting screwed again with the announcement of a big pokie venue at Ram Park. It will seriously challenge Grand North for patrons.
Gilly
Rookie

Postby zipzap » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:37 pm

Realistically what is the chance they will be successful? I'd like to think that the bods at Sturt have done their homework and that they would have known this was inevitable. Please someone tell me there were plans in place BEFORE going down this path?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:43 pm

Gilly wrote:For Sturt's sake I hope it doesn't cost them the $$$ that it did with North (and then they ended up with the lease on the Northern anyway). Maybe Sturt can bid for the lease on the Cremorne ;) As much as I hate the pokies, the government made a huge mistake allowing them in pubs instead of exclusively to sporting and community clubs.

I see that North look like getting screwed again with the announcement of a big pokie venue at Ram Park. It will seriously challenge Grand North for patrons.

Gilly, North just has to offer better service and inducements, if they do that they'll get the punters. Competition is a fact of life. I can't see that they can offer anything in excess to what Grand North is already offering. I think they will be limited to 40 machines as well.
mick
League - Best 21

Postby Gilly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Yeah, that's true. I just think that maybe some of the old dears would prefer to lose their pensions amongst the leafy, green surrounds at Oakden rather than looking out to a view of Yatala.
Gilly
Rookie

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 pm

Just remember Gilly we'll be getting all the Port supporters coming to visit their rellies inside, PLUS, we get the the ones being released :wink: I've been out there I really didn't notice to any great extent the venue is next to Her Majestie's Motel.
mick
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 pm

mick wrote:Just remember Gilly we'll be getting all the Port supporters coming to visit their rellies inside, PLUS, we get the the ones being released :wink: I've been out there I really didn't notice to any great extent the venue is next to Her Majestie's Motel.

Christ, I did, how could you not, a bloody 50 foot wall with barb wire just a drop punt away!
The one thing the Grand North does have is high visiblity which is very important (and good car parking).
Having said that North only need to break even there and they'll still rake it in at the Northern. That's not happening though, North are doing very nicely at both venues from what I've heard.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:01 pm

I went there at night :shock:
mick
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:52 pm

zipzap wrote:Realistically what is the chance they will be successful? I'd like to think that the bods at Sturt have done their homework and that they would have known this was inevitable. Please someone tell me there were plans in place BEFORE going down this path?

I hope so. We cant turn into a GFC board!!!
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Jimmy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:09 am

Does anyone have any knowledge of the type or argument behind this appeal? on what grounds?

and dont tell me its just the 'vibe' or its 'mabo' ;)
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby stan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:44 am

Well i hope that sturt get things in order. As i would prefer to see a footy club end up with pokie dollars than a pub. I know this has been said before, but hey its true (unless we own the pub like someone mentioned before). But at least this gives the possibility that the money may benifit the community.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Board index   Football  SANFL