Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

by daysofourlives » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 am

SimonH wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Who would you have to pay the transfer fee to? Port Magpies dont exist anymore.
Surely any player leaving Port would be free since they are not required players and Port can not pay them their worth.
Why should the Power benefit from the sale of SANFL players?
This is one of the few relevant issues that is covered by the published rules:

Transfer Fees
• To retain existing 1 – 35 listed Magpies players within the SANFL competition, transfer fees for these players to be set at 50% of transfer fee through SANFL points system.
• 36 – 50 listed Magpies players to transfer SANFL Clubs for zero fee.
• From 2014, Magpies listed 15 players can transfer to other SANFL Clubs for fee of $2,500.
• Players from the academy team to have the ability to move to other SANFL Clubs for zero fee.
Until reading this, I didn't know that SANFL clubs supposedly have to nominate with the SANFL their 'top 35' players and their '36-50' (i.e. generally only expected to play reserves) players. If indeed they do, but the transfer fee rules don't make any sense otherwise.

I can't answer the 'why?' questions.

So in essence, the SANFL clubs get 50k from the Cows to pay to the Power for any players they may wish to recruit from the old Magpies even though the Power can not guarentee anyone a game that chooses to transfer from the Magpies to the Power.
Equalisation???
Crows pay 400k/year to play SANFL
Power recieve once off lump sum payment of about 400k to play SANFL. Am i right in saying the Power are not expected to ever pay a license fee? Why?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

by beenreal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:12 am

daysofourlives wrote:
SimonH wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Who would you have to pay the transfer fee to? Port Magpies dont exist anymore.
Surely any player leaving Port would be free since they are not required players and Port can not pay them their worth.

Transfer Fees
• To retain existing 1 – 35 listed Magpies players within the SANFL competition, transfer fees for these players to be set at 50% of transfer fee through SANFL points system.
• From 2014, Magpies listed 15 players can transfer to other SANFL Clubs for fee of $2,500.
• Players from the academy team to have the ability to move to other SANFL Clubs for zero fee.
Until reading this, I didn't know that SANFL clubs supposedly have to nominate with the SANFL their 'top 35' players and their '36-50' (i.e. generally only expected to play reserves) players. If indeed they do, but the transfer fee rules don't make any sense otherwise.

So in essence, the SANFL clubs get 50k from the Cows to pay to the Power for any players they may wish to recruit from the old Magpies even though the Power can not guarentee anyone a game that chooses to transfer from the Magpies to the Power.
Equalisation???
Power recieve once off lump sum payment of about 400k to play SANFL. Am i right in saying the Power are not expected to ever pay a license fee? Why?

As a foundation club of the $ANFL, why should the PAFC be required to pay a License fee to play in a competition it is already in?
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

by beenreal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am

daysofourlives wrote:
SimonH wrote:

Transfer Fees

Equalisation???

As a foundation club of the $ANFL, why should the PAFC be required to pay a License fee to play in a competition it is already in?
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

by Hodges 153! » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 am

DOC wrote:
Hodges 153! wrote:
DOC wrote:
Raikiwasa is Ports AFL trainee. Not playing for them equals no job.

Nah, his development officer trainee spot was only a 12 month contract, so it was up anyway.

Just to correct, he is their SANFL trainee. I was not aware they had one. Thus I go back to my original comment.

And you'd still be wrong.

He WAS their trainee. It was only a 12 month position.

:roll:
Hodges 153!
Rookie

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

by SANFLnut » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 am

I see The Power have scoured the country for potential rookies and have 4 possibles training with their AFL club. Would love a mathematician out there to calculate the probability that 75% of those suitable are former Magpie players who are bring courted by other clubs. Two to be rookied so they don't count as Magpie players and one to be employed so that they can bypass the ruling on player payments.

Hard to see why others would be cynical about these arrangements.......
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

by blueandwhite » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 pm

I

"As a foundation club of the $ANFL, why should the PAFC be required to pay a License fee to play in a competition it is already in?[/quote]

Unfortunately you will find.... that 4 years ago The Port Adelaide Football Club- Magpies... received yet another sizeable handout from the SANFL. As part of the deal with the SANFL in excepting this grant, the PAFC withdrew from the SANFL and no longer had representation on the SANFL or the commission.

Since then the Port Adelaide Football Club (AFL) has been fielding a side in the SANFL at the SANFLs invitation . Technicalities I know but.......
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

by Mr Beefy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:44 pm

SANFLnut wrote:I see The Power have scoured the country for potential rookies and have 4 possibles training with their AFL club. Would love a mathematician out there to calculate the probability that 75% of those suitable are former Magpie players who are bring courted by other clubs. Two to be rookied so they don't count as Magpie players and one to be employed so that they can bypass the ruling on player payments.

Hard to see why others would be cynical about these arrangements.......

How many other clubs have players as employees?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

by GWW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Norwood is one club I'm aware of, thats had players as employees.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

by JK » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm

GWW wrote:Norwood is one club I'm aware of, thats had players as employees.

Would think most clubs do .. The rules allow for it, provided employment remuneration is realistic.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

by FlyingHigh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Eagles certainly have, Passador, Jarrad and Lindsay over the years, maybe even McKenzie at one stage.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

by Mr Beefy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Perhaps West should have employed one of their players as CEO
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

by Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

by Dutchy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:24 pm

BAYS SIGN LONERGAN

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

Glenelg has won the race to secure former Essendon and Richmond midfielder Sam Lonergan.

Lonergan, who played 81 AFL matches for the Bombers and Tigers between 2006 and 2013, was pursued by at least five SANFL clubs but chose Glenelg, where he will also act as an assistant midfield coach under senior coach Nick Stevens.

“It is a very proud club, with a list that is young and determined, and to be part of shaping this group as a player and a coach is very exciting,’’ said Lonergan, who played 79 games for Essendon between 2006 and 2012.

‘’Nick Stevens and the staff I have dealt with have been first-class and are already doing the hard work to get the club back to where it should be. I can’t wait to get to over and get started.”

The 26-year-old midfielder - 182cm and 81kg – will provide the Bays with a physical presence inside the centre square while also displaying exceptional leadership qualities for Glenelg’s young playing squad.

‘’The club is thrilled to attract such a high-calibre player and quality person in Sam,’’ Glenelg chief executive Steve Moore said.

‘’He will add some class and grunt to our midfield, also adding much needed experience to what is a young playing list.

‘’We believe Sam will be a tremendous addition to our club and an integral part of our climb up the ladder.’’

Lonergan – who has signed a two-year contract – is expected to be the first of several signings for the Tigers as they seek to rebuild under the newly-appointed Stevens.

Lonergan’s signature will also assist in replacing experienced midfield duo Jason Davenport and Kane Tenace, who are both heading back to Melbourne.

‘’Kane, despite a bad run of injuries over the last couple of years, has had a huge impact at the club since 2010,’’ Moore said.

‘’Kane’s experience and leadership will be missed both on and off the field.

‘’Jason has been with the club for the last two years, culminating in him finishing runner-up in our 2013 Club Champion award, after a fantastic second half of the season.

‘’We wish Kane and Jason, along with their partners, all the best, as they start the next chapter of their lives. They remain part of the Glenelg family.’’
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

by daysofourlives » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

beenreal wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
SimonH wrote:

Transfer Fees

Equalisation???

This wasnt really my point beeny, very selective answer there which totally avoiids the main issue which is standard for you.
Why should the SANFL clubs pay a transfer fee for players that you cant give an opportunity to and are not required by the Power??
Are the clubs that stupid?? I'l answer that myself, yes they fricken are, well 6 of them are.
Just another handout to the Power from the SANFL commission.
daysofourlives
Coach

by Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Kane Tenace heading back home to Victoria as well, with Davenport, as mentioned in Zac Milbank's article about Glenelg signing Lonergan...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2329/
Big Phil
Coach

by The Sleeping Giant » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Kane tenace has gone as well in case none of you bitches caught that.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

by Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:28 pm

No doubt Westies will be disappointed they miss out on Shane Tuck, who has signed with Goodwood Saints in Div 1 SAAFL...

https://twitter.com/goodysaints/status/ ... 7416729600
Big Phil
Coach

by Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:31 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Kane tenace has gone as well in case none of you bitches caught that.

Welcome back, TSG...

Nearly a whole month without a post from you on the SANFL thread...

You were so dearly missed ;)
Big Phil
Coach

by TimmiesChin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm

daysofourlives wrote:This wasnt really my point beeny, very selective answer there which totally avoiids the main issue which is standard for you.
Why should the SANFL clubs pay a transfer fee for players that you cant give an opportunity to and are not required by the Power??
Are the clubs that stupid?? I'l answer that myself, yes they fricken are, well 6 of them are.

Nah Days,

Port has opportunities for a number of players. At least an entire reserves side, plus between half a dozen to a dozen in a league side depending on AFL injuries. Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
In fact, one could argue, that the opportunities available at the magpies will not be too dis-similar to that at other clubs, but that the number of opportunities will be reduced.

Already bottom end players (36-50) can go for free, and top end players (1-35) can go at half the going rate, so we are not talking about sheep stations here.

By definition, players not required by the power must in turn be listed by the power, and will all be playing at the magpies, but I assume you were talking about non AFL listed players.

Not sure you can call it a handout, its a transaction between clubs. Players not getting opportunities at SANFL level switch clubs all the time - with associated transfer fees.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

by daysofourlives » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:This wasnt really my point beeny, very selective answer there which totally avoiids the main issue which is standard for you.

Nah Days,

Port has opportunities for a number of players. At least an entire reserves side, plus between half a dozen to a dozen in a league side depending on AFL injuries. Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
In fact, one could argue, that the opportunities available at the magpies will not be too dis-similar to that at other clubs, but that the number of opportunities will be reduced.

Already bottom end players (36-50) can go for free, and top end players (1-35) can go at half the going rate, so we are not talking about sheep stations here.

By definition, players not required by the power must in turn be listed by the power, and will all be playing at the magpies, but I assume you were talking about non AFL listed players.

Not sure you can call it a handout, its a transaction between clubs. Players not getting opportunities at SANFL level switch clubs all the time - with associated transfer fees.

Can't argue with Port people that still see their club as Magpies and Power, let us know when the penny drops, we can then resume this discussion.
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL