Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Postby Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Norwood's most recent Magarey Medallist, Matt Thomas, has been given permission from the AFL to train with Richmond...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-19/d ... ith-tigers
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:08 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:... Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
Hi TimmiesChin, you seem pretty well informed even if you don't have an official role with the PAFC, and I'm sure you wouldn't do a Burtenshaw-style ducking of tricky questions. We know about the rules of max $ per game ($400 league, $100 reserves). Despite beenreal's protestations, there can't be anyone in South Australia who believes that a player the quality of Raikiwasa—or for that matter anyone who was a regular league selection for the Magpies in 2013—would sign up to play for $400 per league match and not a cent more.

So, you mention 'the cap... as per the rules'. Do you know the answer to these questions?:
1. What is the cap applying to players contracted to play for the Port Adelaide Magpies side in the SANFL?
2. What are the rules as to how much Port Adelaide can play its SANFL-contracted players as a baseline/guaranteed minimum contract figure?

Thanks.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 pm

As much as beenreal is a deluded yes man to everything Port says and does, there ARE people who play for less than they can get. I KNOW people who turned down more money to play where their heart is. On top of that there have been many cases of people turning down a fair bit of money to play for nothing under the right circumstances. So your assertion that a league regular couldn't possibly be playing for only $400 a game is utter nonsense. The fact you not only can't accept this but think it's such lunacy that nobody could, just shows you have an incredibly limited understanding of other people.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby beenreal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:This wasnt really my point beeny, very selective answer there which totally avoiids the main issue which is standard for you.
Why should the SANFL clubs pay a transfer fee for players that you cant give an opportunity to and are not required by the Power??
Are the clubs that stupid?? I'l answer that myself, yes they fricken are, well 6 of them are.
Just another handout to the Power from the SANFL commission.

Nah Days,

Port has opportunities for a number of players. At least an entire reserves side, plus between half a dozen to a dozen in a league side depending on AFL injuries. Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
In fact, one could argue, that the opportunities available at the magpies will not be too dis-similar to that at other clubs, but that the number of opportunities will be reduced.

Already bottom end players (36-50) can go for free, and top end players (1-35) can go at half the going rate, so we are not talking about sheep stations here.

Why should the SANFL clubs pay a transfer fee for players that you cant give an opportunity to and are not required by the Power??
By definition, players not required by the power must in turn be listed by the power, and will all be playing at the magpies, but I assume you were talking about non AFL listed players.

Not sure you can call it a handout, its a transaction between clubs. Players not getting opportunities at SANFL level switch clubs all the time - with associated transfer fees.

Can't argue with Port people that still see their club as Magpies and Power, let us know when the penny drops, we can then resume this discussion.

It's the PAFC. People like you are fascinated by us. Much like your club which copied us.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:This wasnt really my point beeny, very selective answer there which totally avoiids the main issue which is standard for you.
Are the clubs that stupid?? I'l answer that myself, yes they fricken are, well 6 of them are.

Nah Days,

Port has opportunities for a number of players. At least an entire reserves side, plus between half a dozen to a dozen in a league side depending on AFL injuries. Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
In fact, one could argue, that the opportunities available at the magpies will not be too dis-similar to that at other clubs, but that the number of opportunities will be reduced.

Already bottom end players (36-50) can go for free, and top end players (1-35) can go at half the going rate, so we are not talking about sheep stations here.

By definition, players not required by the power must in turn be listed by the power, and will all be playing at the magpies, but I assume you were talking about non AFL listed players.

Not sure you can call it a handout, its a transaction between clubs. Players not getting opportunities at SANFL level switch clubs all the time - with associated transfer fees.

Can't argue with Port people that still see their club as Magpies and Power, let us know when the penny drops, we can then resume this discussion.

I don't see them separately, but the rules imposed on them wrt list makeup mean that like it or not, there will be two category of players on the list, power listed, and non power listed.

In fact seeing them as one entry is more justification for them receiving transfer fees.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby SDK » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Hope he is worth the money he is asking for but ....... good onya Bays we need a Glenelg up and about for the health of the SANFL.
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 pm

SimonH wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:... Port will try to use the cap and max $ per game as per the rules set down to retain players that fill this need, but obviously this will be restrictive, and as has already seen, will result in top end players (ie Beard) to look elsewhere for opportunities.
Hi TimmiesChin, you seem pretty well informed even if you don't have an official role with the PAFC, and I'm sure you wouldn't do a Burtenshaw-style ducking of tricky questions. We know about the rules of max $ per game ($400 league, $100 reserves). Despite beenreal's protestations, there can't be anyone in South Australia who believes that a player the quality of Raikiwasa—or for that matter anyone who was a regular league selection for the Magpies in 2013—would sign up to play for $400 per league match and not a cent more.

So, you mention 'the cap... as per the rules'. Do you know the answer to these questions?:
1. What is the cap applying to players contracted to play for the Port Adelaide Magpies side in the SANFL?
2. What are the rules as to how much Port Adelaide can play its SANFL-contracted players as a baseline/guaranteed minimum contract figure?

Thanks.

I only know what I read here, so know nothing g you don't.

I reckon the rules regarding $ per game is all a page or so back in this thread. Think it was $400 for league and $100 for sanfl. these are the rules I was referring to.

Because I'm not in the loop I can't answer the rest other than to offer some reasons ... in no order:

1. loyalty .... occasionally players become so used to a place they can't leave.
2. Non football employment ... ie club sourced job. (Obviously not in a Tom Zorich sports store: ) )
3. Mateship ... as per 1
4. Convenience ... close to home
5. Development .. access to AFL coaches
6. AFL visibility ... under the nose of AFL club.
6. Salary difference not that much.... ie, let's say he could get $1000 a game elsewhere, the difference of $600 a game in reality is bigger all when you take tax out. I know $600 a week for 20 weeks pre tax wouldn't have me thinking of changing jobs.

Ultimately, what I see happening is pretty much what I expected would, port went hard at a few league players it thought were a chance at staying..... and ended up with two of them. I don't think anyone expected the entire league side to walk.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Whats the latest on Summerton?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Whats the latest on Summerton?

My brother told me he trained last night in their first night of preseason training.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

My brother told me he trained last night in their first night of preseason training.

Yep. There was a picture on Port's FaceBook page last night from their first pre-training meeting with Budda Hocking...

Summertime can be spotted front and square in one pic...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Big Phil wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Yep. There was a picture on Port's FaceBook page last night from their first pre-training meeting with Budda Hocking...

Summertime can be spotted front and square in one pic...

Interesting. Is there a name for this disorder ? Stalking much. :D
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm

SDK wrote:Hope he is worth the money he is asking for but ....... good onya Bays we need a Glenelg up and about for the health of the SANFL.

LOL.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Summerton can be spotted front and square in one pic...

Interesting. Is there a name for this disorder ? Stalking much. :D

It's called looking at a photo and recognising a face. Didn't realise that was categorised as stalking...

Seems as though the minute I make a post, you jump in with some snide remark. Is there a name for that disorder, botb? ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:I don't think anyone expected the entire league side to walk.

What?? you really think that?? If you thought that they weren't going to walk then you are seriously delusional.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

What?? you really think that?? If you thought that they weren't going to walk then you are seriously delusional.

Two/three haven't as a minimum, so no not really.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby Jackal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Shane Tuck going to Goody Saints...what a surprise. Did his brothers coach make contact with him prior to his decision.
Jackal
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Two/three haven't as a minimum, so no not really.

Said to my brother I think Port has been very lucky to hang on to those like Bobby for example, no doubt they would of considered leaving when all their mates were. I wish good luck to them amd hope they're looked after staying loyal to Port after what has happened.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby SimonH » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:I only know what I read here, so know nothing g you don't.

I reckon the rules regarding $ per game is all a page or so back in this thread. Think it was $400 for league and $100 for sanfl. these are the rules I was referring to.

Because I'm not in the loop I can't answer the rest other than to offer some reasons ... in no order:

1. loyalty .... occasionally players become so used to a place they can't leave.
2. Non football employment ... ie club sourced job. (Obviously not in a Tom Zorich sports store: ) )
3. Mateship ... as per 1
6. Salary difference not that much.... ie, let's say he could get $1000 a game elsewhere, the difference of $600 a game in reality is bigger all when you take tax out. I know $600 a week for 20 weeks pre tax wouldn't have me thinking of changing jobs.

Ultimately, what I see happening is pretty much what I expected would, port went hard at a few league players it thought were a chance at staying..... and ended up with two of them. I don't think anyone expected the entire league side to walk.
Thanks TC. #2 in your list is certainly potentially big. Even a menial full-time job is worth at least $32k/year these days ($622 pw is the minimum wage, but of course most workers are on significantly more), so the promise of work will dwarf what an average SANFL player can be paid from footy alone. For a small minority of players, #6 ("if you play well for us in the SANFL in 2014, we'll rookie you for 2015") could be a motivator, but a moment's mature reflection would reveal that AFL clubs don't rookie players for sentimental reasons, and so if you're playing well enough to be rookied by PAFC you could well be picked up by one of 17 other clubs too—regardless of where you're playing your SANFL league footy!

Anyway, I found your reference to 'cap' in your original post interesting because a few factors make me think that we haven't been presented with the full financial story regarding the Crows 2nds and PAFC 2nds:
1. On the face of the published rules, there is no reference to any 'cap'. We simply don't know how much the Crows and Power are allowed as a 'net spend' on their SANFL-contracted players.
2. The Power are supposedly subject to generally the same conditions as the Crows. The Crows are entitled to contract one 'leadership player' (ex-Crows-list, minimum 28yoa, Ian Callinan in 2014), so why not the Power? And there is no published limit on what this 'leadership player' can be paid.
3. In an earlier post, a Port fan mentioned that Summerton was already contracted for 2014, so there was no question about him staying. And yet the published rules don't say, "anyone who's contracted can stick around and be paid as per the contract, even if it's massively more than $400 pw".
4. Given the way-below-market rate that can be paid per game, the logical way around it in order to remain competitive in the player market would be to guarantee to your top SANFL players, a flat fee regardless of how many games they play. In circumstances where the published rules don't say that such a practice is banned, unless there are some unpublished rules we don't know about, why wouldn't the Power pay their good SANFL-contracted players a base minimum payment/sign-on fee?

The problem is that no-one is being up-front about what the Crows and Power are and aren't allowed to do financially with their SANFL-contracted payments. We can't even have the debate about whether it's a level playing field, if we don't know all of the rules.

While some of the other things you mention will be a brake on some (mostly fringe) players departing, tax isn't an issue. The first $18,200 of anyone's earnings is tax-free. 18 rounds x $1000 = $18,000pa. Even after $18,200pa, it's only a 19% marginal rate until you get to the $37,000 level that very few SANFL players would (legitimately) exceed. At least as a result of their on-field exploits.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 pm

SDK wrote:Hope he is worth the money he is asking for but ....... good onya Bays we need a Glenelg up and about for the health of the SANFL.

He is probably worth about the same as the 2 duds that have just left Glenelg.
So glad that Norwood didnt get him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 pm

SimonH wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:I only know what I read here, so know nothing g you don't.

3. Mateship ... as per 1

Thanks TC. #2 in your list is certainly potentially big. Even a menial full-time job is worth at least $32k/year these days ($622 pw is the minimum wage, but of course most workers are on significantly more), so the promise of work will dwarf what an average SANFL player can be paid from footy alone. For a small minority of players, #6 ("if you play well for us in the SANFL in 2014, we'll rookie you for 2015") could be a motivator, but a moment's mature reflection would reveal that AFL clubs don't rookie players for sentimental reasons, and so if you're playing well enough to be rookied by PAFC you could well be picked up by one of 17 other clubs too—regardless of where you're playing your SANFL league footy!

Anyway, I found your reference to 'cap' in your original post interesting because a few factors make me think that we haven't been presented with the full financial story regarding the Crows 2nds and PAFC 2nds:
1. On the face of the published rules, there is no reference to any 'cap'. We simply don't know how much the Crows and Power are allowed as a 'net spend' on their SANFL-contracted players.
2. The Power are supposedly subject to generally the same conditions as the Crows. The Crows are entitled to contract one 'leadership player' (ex-Crows-list, minimum 28yoa, Ian Callinan in 2014), so why not the Power? And there is no published limit on what this 'leadership player' can be paid.
3. In an earlier post, a Port fan mentioned that Summerton was already contracted for 2014, so there was no question about him staying. And yet the published rules don't say, "anyone who's contracted can stick around and be paid as per the contract, even if it's massively more than $400 pw".
4. Given the way-below-market rate that can be paid per game, the logical way around it in order to remain competitive in the player market would be to guarantee to your top SANFL players, a flat fee regardless of how many games they play. In circumstances where the published rules don't say that such a practice is banned, unless there are some unpublished rules we don't know about, why wouldn't the Power pay their good SANFL-contracted players a base minimum payment/sign-on fee?

The problem is that no-one is being up-front about what the Crows and Power are and aren't allowed to do financially with their SANFL-contracted payments. We can't even have the debate about whether it's a level playing field, if we don't know all of the rules.

While some of the other things you mention will be a brake on some (mostly fringe) players departing, tax isn't an issue. The first $18,200 of anyone's earnings is tax-free. 18 rounds x $1000 = $18,000pa. Even after $18,200pa, it's only a 19% marginal rate until you get to the $37,000 level that very few SANFL players would (legitimately) exceed. At least as a result of their on-field exploits.

Yep point 2 and 6 may have got one or two over the line, and assuming a lot of others leave it means come top end sanfl reserve players this year walk into a good deal to fill up league spots.

I'd imagine if more than 4/5 league players hang around them ports done well.

Sorry... my reference to cap was basically $400*x players * y rounds, so just my terminology . ... basically the Max per player forces a cap by stealth. My understanding based on what I've read is it's a Max per player per week.... I think it would have been simpler to be a true cap.

I'd imagine more than just summerton would have been contracted for next year, makes no sense to have 90% of your list falling out of contract at once.

I won't go into all your points as we don't seem far apart, but I'd imagine most players have other jobs, I reckon I read the average wage is a little over 50k, so all the Footy earnings would come on top of that... tax rate is 32.5% over 37k, so take a third of all Footy income away. (As you say, even menial jobs are 32k pa ).
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL