Rnd 1 - Norwood v Port Adelaide @ Coopers (Thur N 3/4)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 1 - Norwood v Port Adelaide @ Coopers (Thur N 3/4)

Postby Fricky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm

phantom57 wrote:Norwood are likely to come out all guns blazing early ......but their fans will end up on Coopers Hill drowning their sorrows !
It is likely to get very ugly...... :shock:

Will this be the case all season? Should we lock in a Port v Adelaide GF now?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Legs Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:13 pm

It should be the KT cup for sure!

Interesting that it took a Norwood person to revive Port - but as they say "when only the best will do"

Norwood by 3 goals
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby RB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
RB wrote:So at least two players are being gifted games that they probably wouldn't have got at other Sanfl clubs.

Is that such a bad thing?

Think of it this way, would you be ok with the same thing happening every week in the AFL? Yeah it's great some guys get the opportunity or whatever but I just don't think the Sanfl should be used like that.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm

RB wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
RB wrote:So at least two players are being gifted games that they probably wouldn't have got at other Sanfl clubs.

Think of it this way, would you be ok with the same thing happening every week in the AFL? Yeah it's great some guys get the opportunity or whatever but I just don't think the Sanfl should be used like that.

it's happening now in the AFL for the past couple of years... GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Jon Butcher and Richard Tambling all say hi... Players are now getting gifted games in the AFL who wouldn't even get a sniff a few years ago due to the expansion of the comp...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Booney wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

With 8 SANFL clubs without any AFL listed players this season you could argue some of the new league list are only getting games because of the loss of those AFL listed from the club.

Like PG notes, is that a bad thing?

You're not seriously equating players promoted through a club's ranks to play league with some overweight hack pulled from a scrubber league based on the recommendation of someone who used to play at the club are you?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm

RB wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

I'm looking at it as an opportunity for more players to be exposed to league footy that may not otherwise be given the chance with just the 8 or 9 clubs.
Could perhaps unearth some real talent that may not have been found - or if they dont make it, at least players will then filter back into amateurs taking that experience and what they've learnt with them which would then help to improve the standard?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:47 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

With 8 SANFL clubs without any AFL listed players this season you could argue some of the new league list are only getting games because of the loss of those AFL listed from the club.

You're not seriously equating players promoted through a club's ranks to play league with some overweight hack pulled from a scrubber league based on the recommendation of someone who used to play at the club are you?

To be fair this "overweight hack" was also contacted by several SANFL clubs during the season wanting him so it could be a case of he would have made it anyway.

Anyway, good time to have this game on TV, Thursday night, no competition from other sports should be a ratings winner for the SANFL.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby areaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Suri wrote:
phantom57 wrote:Norwood are likely to come out all guns blazing early ......but their fans will end up on Coopers Hill drowning their sorrows !

Call me mad but I reckon we should wait for a few matches before deeming the GF sides to be a foregone conclusion.

Crows & Port reserves will have a strong top part of their lists but a few injuries and the depth will really come into play quickly.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby RB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
RB wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

it's happening now in the AFL for the past couple of years... GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Jon Butcher and Richard Tambling all say hi... Players are now getting gifted games in the AFL who wouldn't even get a sniff a few years ago due to the expansion of the comp...

The John Butchers of the world were at least drafted by the AFL clubs; these clubs obviously thought they were better than all the other players not already drafted. However the topup players for the reserves sides are just randoms from around the traps there to make up the numbers.
It would be different if the topup players were all stars in the A1 last season. But they weren't. I know some people say that some great talent could be unearthed, late bloomers etc., but in my view, they should play their way into the Sanfl, not be gifted games. For every undiscovered talent out there in their bush there are a hundred hacks.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:23 pm

I tend to agree. Some of those 'hacks' in ports side couldn't get a kick in the country last season
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby frogcake » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 pm

I think the Pies will win by 30-50 points. It will take a few weeks for the team to gel and belt teams by 100. A lot of important players out injured for port.
frogcake
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

"Overweight hack from a scrubber league" - Chris Prime back at the Parade?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm

frogcake wrote:I think the Pies will win by 30-50 points. It will take a few weeks for the team to gel and belt teams by 100. A lot of important players out injured for port.

By those Rooster thugs?

Let's hope Norwood don't try anything too physical against the superstars in Port's team tonight.

Wonder if Jace Bode got that memo? :D
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Hey, Port Lincoln's no scrubber League ;)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Really looking forward to watching this tonight.

I hope the Legs get up but count me in as one of those who think the Power & Crows reserves will pretty much dominate this year.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:52 pm

I kind of get the feeling that these Port players wouldn't be getting a shot if they weren't up to it.
Angus Bruggemann, for example, may only have played for Mallala (albeit a premiership winning side) in the APFL, which is not the strongest comp in the state, but he did play for SA Country against WA and was among the best players, IIRC. Playing for SA Country saw Buckets Mackenzie gain the attention of CDFC scouts, so it can be a fertile recruiting ground.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I kind of get the feeling that these Port players wouldn't be getting a shot if they weren't up to it.
Angus Bruggemann, for example, may only have played for Mallala (albeit a premiership winning side) in the APFL, which is not the strongest comp in the state, but he did play for SA Country against WA and was among the best players, IIRC. Playing for SA Country saw Buckets Mackenzie gain the attention of CDFC scouts, so it can be a fertile recruiting ground.

And off course the great johann the giant booted 8 in a bog display in that fixture as well :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:It's worth noting that while Norwood only have eight of last year's premiership side playing - they do have only four debutants. Says much for their depth over the past couple of years.

Also says a lot about Bassett's ability to turn average footballers into excellent team contributors.

Or their lack of recruiting
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 pm

areaman wrote:
Suri wrote:

Call me mad but I reckon we should wait for a few matches before deeming the GF sides to be a foregone conclusion.

Crows & Port reserves will have a strong top part of their lists but a few injuries and the depth will really come into play quickly.

So teams that play them later in the season have an advantage over teams that play them early in the season.

Would that explain why our two GF teams from last year are up against Adelaide and Power reserves in their 1st games?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I kind of get the feeling that these Port players wouldn't be getting a shot if they weren't up to it.

And he has played very well in all of our trial games so far
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL