The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby heater31 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
smac wrote:Why should the 2 AFL clubs have a say on SMA? I wouldn't appoint a tenant in my rental property as my agent to manage the property.

Because like it or lump it, the two AFL sides are the biggest party involved in Adelaide Oval and should at least have a voice.

If the AFL franchises want a voice then perhaps they should have called AFL house and asked for a stadium to be built for them. Not be given one from other parties and not expect those that paid for it to just let them have it.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 pm

I just checked the AFL rules and nowhere does it say that clubs cannot build there own stadiums.

So i guess if any club in the AFL is not happy with the agreement they have in place with a stadium be it Adelaide Oval, Etihad or MCG ect they could always build there own stadium.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 pm

heater31 wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:
smac wrote:Why should the 2 AFL clubs have a say on SMA? I wouldn't appoint a tenant in my rental property as my agent to manage the property.

Because like it or lump it, the two AFL sides are the biggest party involved in Adelaide Oval and should at least have a voice.

If the AFL franchises want a voice then perhaps they should have called AFL house and asked for a stadium to be built for them. Not be given one from other parties and not expect those that paid for it to just let them have it.....

So I take it you have not read the news articles about how the Adelaide Oval redevelopment came to be .... AFL house was front and centre:
Heres one:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/andrew ... 6862774219

The AFL was one of the driving forces - along with the state government..... in fact the SANFL was deliberately kept out of the early discussions for a couple years:
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 964011.htm
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby LPH » Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Where the Hell was Partland & the rest of the Adelaide Commercial Media when these issues were being raised as long ago as late 2010?
Those of us who had very little interest in AFL & followed our Local Competition could see this "domination" coming 'a mile off'.
Port Supporters can 'pull out' the "sook" tag or the "one club" line but the facts remain that the superior fitness levels of Professional Athletes is becoming increasingly prevalent & clearly influencing results, as the season progresses.

This whole fiasco has been such a positive, hasn't it?
The CEO's who voted for this must hang their heads in shame. The 2014 Premiership appears to be a foregone conclusion at this point, unless the Power AFL side cops a heap of serious injuries & that looks unlikely based on their Pre-season Conditioning. I assume they will claim 2014 as their "37th SANFL Flag" will they?

Wonder what argument 'Crowie', McDermott, Roo & the rest of the Commercial Media will mount in response to Partland's Article?

I have a question for the CEO's:
How is having Port dominate the competition & ultimately reducing the chance of your Club making the Finals, going to affect your 'bottom line' in terms of projected Membership numbers, Club functions, revenue streams & match day attendances?

It will be interesting to see the Crowd figures for Clubs v Port for the remainder of the season.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Panther Pack wrote:I just checked the AFL rules and nowhere does it say that clubs cannot build there own stadiums.

So i guess if any club in the AFL is not happy with the agreement they have in place with a stadium be it Adelaide Oval, Etihad or MCG ect they could always build there own stadium.

Ha ha ...... in what alternate universe did the SA government redevelop Adelaide oval to NOT host the AFL sides.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby Panther Pack » Mon May 19, 2014 1:09 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:I just checked the AFL rules and nowhere does it say that clubs cannot build there own stadiums.

Ha ha ...... in what alternate universe did the SA government redevelop Adelaide oval to NOT host the AFL sides.

Given that both Adelaide & Port Adelaide are tenants only I would think they would be more than entitled to look at other options.

In fact if the SMA actually feared these tenants leaving then it might cause the SMA to renegoiate and thus provide better deals for the tenants.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby SimonH » Mon May 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:If the NRL has the money to run an under 23 comp (or whatever it is), which receives national coverage on Fox, then I'm pretty certain the AFL, which already bankrolls the NEAFL competition (which has teams in two states/one territory), can afford to operate a reserves/under 23/south-eastern conference.
Absolutely right. No matter how many hands it gets funnelled through first (NEAFL/ NEAFL clubs), make no mistake that the AFL is already paying for NT, Qld, Sydney and Canberra clubs to fly to each other's states/territories, week after week, for a full footy season, indefinitely. For players who are (leaving aside the 4 AFL reserves teams in the comp) semi-pro at best. So, 'no-one can afford to pay for flights' is a furphy.

Now, near enough to 100% of AFL clubs can already pay for organising and fielding a reserves team (whether through 'affiliated club' arrangements or otherwise). Out of their existing resources. The only additional cost is travel. (Noting that 4 teams are already paying travel costs.)

So: there's no financial reason why an AFL reserves comp can't happen.

Such sponsorship and TV coverage as the AFL reserves attracted, would only offset part of the costs of arranging it. But any amount it did offset, would be gravy. The clubs and the AFL can already afford it.

The AFLPA would never bite at 55-60 player lists (which would be the numbers required to avoid top-ups) because they would rightly fear that spreading the $ too widely would dilute individual player salaries; the clubs wouldn't want to cop the wages and on-costs they'd have to pay to the extra 10-15 players; and the AFL has no interest in massive list expansion either. So top-ups would continue to exist. Precisely where they came from and the rules under which they came (as John Howard would say), would be hammered out by people currently conducting the 'pathways to AFL' discussion. But the ongoing existence of top-ups, and a strong professional comp for them to come into, would help address one of the biggest stated concerns of the AFL clubs: that the gap between the U/18 comps and the AFL is growing.

It could easily take a decade. (At best, it could be done in perhaps 5 years.) But an AFL reserves competition is most likely coming. The arguments in favour simply outweigh the arguments against. And it will be a good thing for the SANFL competition when it does. If it doesn't come too late to rescue it from the disastrous decisions made in 2013.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm

2100 to Alberton on Saturday tells the tale, Magpies fans have walked away and Power fans have not filled the void.

For only around 3% of the Power members to turn up to the game on a fantastic day without their AFL team playing speaks volumes for the competition and where it is headed.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:2100 to Alberton on Saturday tells the tale, Magpies fans have walked away and Power fans have not filled the void.

For only around 3% of the Power members to turn up to the game on a fantastic day without their AFL team playing speaks volumes for the competition and where it is headed.

3000+ wasn't it ....
Think it was the biggest crowd of the weekend again (not sure of Norwood/Crows crowd).
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 19, 2014 1:34 pm

With regards to the afl clubs being tenants only, it's more complicated than a standard tenancy agreement as others might suggest because there are no other tenants you could replace them with.

So of course the afl clubs have more bargaining power in that regard.

And they should too. They are the biggest money spinners for sa footy, like it or not
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Dutchy wrote:2100 to Alberton on Saturday tells the tale, Magpies fans have walked away and Power fans have not filled the void.

3000+ wasn't it ....
Think it was the biggest crowd of the weekend again (not sure of Norwood/Crows crowd).

Not according to this mornings Advertiser
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby UK Fan » Mon May 19, 2014 1:47 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:

The same alternate universe where you think tenants don't have to pay for the use of property.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby tipper » Mon May 19, 2014 1:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:With regards to the afl clubs being tenants only, it's more complicated than a standard tenancy agreement as others might suggest because there are no other tenants you could replace them with.

So of course the afl clubs have more bargaining power in that regard.

And they should too. They are the biggest money spinners for sa footy, like it or not

you forget that there is also no other option for the afl clubs in this state. they have to play at adelaide oval, as there isnt any other 50,000+ seat stadium that they can rent (unless they go back to aami, and the sanfl still own that anyway) so the extra bargaining power you think they have is negated by the fact the stadium management authority have a monopoly on the available premises. the clubs have no where else to go!

ideally the deal should benefit all parties, but the afl clubs always seem to want things to all be in their favour. (reference kochies comments on the stadium deal not being as good as it was touted already.....)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm

[quote="UK Fan]

The same alternate universe where you think tenants don't have to pay for the use of property.[/quote]

But I do think they should have to pay to use it....fair abd reasonable rent.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby Dols » Mon May 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

3000+ wasn't it ....

dont tell me the advertiser got something wrong!!!!! 3121 was the crowd.
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tipper » Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Jim05 wrote:The thing you are forgetting Timmy is that the SANFL are part owners of AO and without them the move to AO would never of been made possible. The SANFL is entitled to claim rent off the AFL sides as long as they are tennants. The two AFL sides dont even get a say on the SMA. Id be more than happy for the SANFL to just collect rent of them for eternity, at a decent rate of course

See that bolded comment scares me. We are trusting the likes of Whicker and co...... at least we know the pie warmers will be cranked up at Adelaide Oval.

I don't mind the clubs paying 'rent', however rent should be related to cost of opening venue plus profit margin. So what is a decent rate... if it relates to the cost of opening and operating the venue then all well and good, if it includes all sorts of other stuff, then I have an issue.

completely agree. it should scare us all that football in this state is left in the hands of whicker et al. it is because of them we have this farcical situation of the reserves sides in the sanfl!!
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby UK Fan » Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:[quote="UK Fan]

The same alternate universe where you think tenants don't have to pay for the use of property.[/quote]

But I do think they should have to pay to use it....fair abd reasonable rent.[/quote][/quote]

Determined by the AFL clubs?

Yeah, thats fair. They have proven themselves to be totally selfless in all things.

Once again just like AAMI, you signed the agreement and are unhappy about it within a season. Forgive me for thinking that your clubs are worse negotiators than Neville Chamberlain.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Dols wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

3000+ wasn't it ....

Official?

Say it was 3121 and every single one of them was a Power member, still only 6% of your membership turned up!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby saintal » Mon May 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Dols wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

3000+ wasn't it ....

Looked a 3000 crowd on TV. Plenty of black, white and teal. Having said that you would have thought they should be pulling closer to 5k.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dols » Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dols wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]2100 to Alberton on Saturday tells the tale, Magpies fans have walked away and Power fans have not filled the void.

3000+ wasn't it ....

Official?

Say it was 3121 and every single one of them was a Power member, still only 6% of your membership turned up![/quote]

dont tell me that power supporters have other allegiances other then the magpies. Heaven forbids!!!
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL