The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:46 pm

How do SANFL clubs turn it around? Aren't the SANFL selling off the land around Footy Park? That's a huge gold mine for the league.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:49 pm

RustyCage wrote:How do SANFL clubs turn it around? Aren't the SANFL selling off the land around Footy Park? That's a huge gold mine for the league.

Problem is now there is a stand off between the league and the clubs as the league would like to service their own debts first.....something to do with bailing out an AFL club numerous times, maybe they could ask the AFL for some free cash to blow on some lunches for the league directors :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Would be interesting to see how much the Crows are charged to train at AAMI and have their offices/gym etc based there. One would think now they are no longer incorporated with the SANFL they should be paying top dollar. Something that size should attract a fair ammount of coin id think.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:59 pm

wild dog wrote:
RustyCage wrote:They have some bargaining power, but some also crave the AFL involvement and funding so won't go and do anything innovative like reverting back to an independent league.

Edited for accuracy

There's a big difference in the The VFA/VFL "reverting back to an independent league" as it was pre 1987 and a bunch of current day VFL teams breaking away and forming a new league.

The part in quotation marks can't happen given the way the VFA did things back in the day, so the only option is to break away and form a new league and seeing as it would be being done as a big FU to AFL House, do you think the AFL would then give them any funding?
RustyCage

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:Would be interesting to see how much the Crows are charged to train at AAMI and have their offices/gym etc based there. One would think now they are no longer incorporated with the SANFL they should be paying top dollar. Something that size should attract a fair ammount of coin id think.

Zero. It is absolutely zero.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:01 pm

In reality the associations between the state leagues isn't going to go away. Even if there was just the 8 SANFL teams playing alone in the comp would still be relying on AFL funds for survival.

ALL parties need to do a better job of working together.
RustyCage

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:03 pm

heater31 wrote:
RustyCage wrote:How do SANFL clubs turn it around? Aren't the SANFL selling off the land around Footy Park? That's a huge gold mine for the league.

Problem is now there is a stand off between the league and the clubs as the league would like to service their own debts first.....something to do with bailing out an AFL club numerous times, maybe they could ask the AFL for some free cash to blow on some lunches for the league directors :roll:

The value of the land being sold off is MANY MANY times more than the money that the SANFL was legally required to give Port.
RustyCage

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:41 pm

LPH wrote:
JK wrote:
Thats the million dollar question mate .. I would imagine all clubs are trying to decrease costs and improve revenue, although most if not all, spend close to the max allowable on players and footy department because they consider an onfield slide as too dangerous. Catch 22 situation stopping many clubs from tightening their belts as much as they could/should. Traditional Income streams like membership and attendance aren't going to swing around massively enough to get clubs out of the poo one wouldn't think. It would need to come via some form of commercial investment which obviously brings its own risks. Very tough climate for SANFL clubs.

They were warned!
They only have themselves to blame - allowing Cows Members free access to games was a shocking decision, no revenue in that!
As for the Memberships - traditional supporters & members have spoken with their feet.

I remain astounded at the 'bloodymindedness' of the CEOs.
Slaven's arrogance was (I assume) indicative of their belief that the Reserves Teams was beneficial.
Now they are stuck between a rock & a hard place.

you forgot to insert the standard "but crowds are up this year" despite being lower than all but two seasons for the last 20 years.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Would be interesting to see how much the Crows are charged to train at AAMI and have their offices/gym etc based there. One would think now they are no longer incorporated with the SANFL they should be paying top dollar. Something that size should attract a fair ammount of coin id think.

lets see, it seems to be the day for regurgitating the "oppositions" catch cry today so Booney if you please...

"I'd like to see evidence of this. Thanks in advance"....

and it is true, may i ask the sanfl WHY?????
tipper
League - Top 5

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Booney wrote:

Well that surely needs to change.
They are operating out of SANFL land afterall. Would think rent should be applicable.
Seems strange they are looking for a base in the city when they currently have great facilities that they dont pay a cent for
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:56 pm

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

lets see, it seems to be the day for regurgitating the "oppositions" catch cry today so Booney if you please...

I'll find a link, it is true though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Also would be interesting how much Port pay PAEC for Alberton Oval and their training/club rooms
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:11 pm

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/find ... ch-11.html

The football oval has been promised to the Adelaide Football Club for the next 15 years for training and practice matches, although the stadium will be dismantled over the next decade.

The SANFL has been part of the West Lakes precinct since 1974.

The Adelaide Football Club will remain as a tenant with its current lease agreement keeping the club on the site until 2048.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6914506887

ADELAIDE OVAL

ADELAIDE was the last signatory for football’s return to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval. The Crows invested heavily in new facilities at West Lakes, spending as much as $22 million to build the “New Shed” that expanded the club’s training and social facilities.

While Port Adelaide eagerly — and loudly — pushed for AFL games to be played at the Oval, the Crows stood firm in demanding they see the real benefits — such as at least $3 million in extra profit from moving games from West Lakes to the city.

More difficult than dealing with the big money invested in their palace at West Lakes was the “rusted on” Crows fans who refused to be budged from their seats at Football Park. Some have refused to be part of the move to Adelaide Oval despite the glowing reviews of the new ground.

Adelaide has a rent-free long-term lease — with benefits worth $2 million a year — to remain at West Lakes, but the reality is sinking in that the Crows must move closer to the city, perhaps Thebarton.

CURSE? No, just a poor reading of the tea leaves on football’s return to the city.

@tipper
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm

So, in essence, the SANFL is giving the AFC ( at an estimate ) $2m per year of free rent.

I look forward to the constant references to these monies.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Booney wrote:So, in essence, the SANFL is giving the AFC ( at an estimate ) $2m per year of free rent.

Might have been a $ component in the sale of license? (Can you ring Leigh and check for me, thanks mate ;) )
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Booney wrote:So, in essence, the SANFL is giving the AFC ( at an estimate ) $2m per year of free rent.

Wow...... i am honestly not sure what else can be said.

how in christs name could anyone at the SANFl agree to such a shit deal?? someone needs to be lined up and shot. that money could go a hell of a long way to improving the situation of all of the sanfl clubs. and if that is the deal they have had all along makes the "bailouts" the power have had over the years pale into insignificance.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:28 pm

JK wrote:

Might have been a $ component in the sale of license? (Can you ring Leigh and check for me, thanks mate ;) )

:)]
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

Is that a Tredders emoticon?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

Is that a Tredders emoticon?

=D>
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 pm

tipper wrote:

Wow...... i am honestly not sure what else can be said.

how in christs name could anyone at the SANFl agree to such a shit deal?? someone needs to be lined up and shot. that money could go a hell of a long way to improving the situation of all of the sanfl clubs. and if that is the deal they have had all along makes the "bailouts" the power have had over the years pale into insignificance.....

Interesting observation.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL