The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:So is Russell on the side of no afl in the sanfl then. I get the article if that's the case

Russell is a pretty smart fellow so the only rational explanation that I have for his statement is that is his way of disagreeing with what we have been whinging about on this thread. ie he agrees that there should be NO AFL in the SANFL.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:In my experience of attending national league games, Crows supporters are far worse than Port supporters when it comes to abusive banter. I really don't enjoy attending Crows games. However, not much in SA rivals the aggression that used to broil up from the Alberton mob during the 80s/90s in the SANFL.

There are probably more uneducated crows supporters than port supporters for sure. Just because you are probably more likely to follow the crows if you have money but no idea about the game (Chardonnay sippers yada yada)

What a crock of crap.
How the hell do you know this. I assume it's just another one of your generalisations.
And as usual you contradict yourself in the first line of your statement. Probably or for sure :roll:

He knows this because he goes to matches John, because he sits in the crowd and listens to what people say. He knows this because his work place has Port and Crows supporters in it. He knows this because he has mates who support Port, he has mates who support Adelaide. Perhaps within his family too.

Loosen the belt on your cranky pants, generalisations about footy supporters level of understanding of the game ARE all you can go on, unless some wide ranging study has been commissioned and the results yet to be published.
In other words he doesn't know.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Well if you are going to be so pedantic as to expect that he has interviewed all AFC and PAFC supporters then yes, he doesn't "know".

@bennymacca - mate, can you ensure in future any comments you make you specify if the evidence to support your comment is anecdotal, verified by means of a survey or if a parliamentary inquest provided you with the results?

Thanks in advance mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Booney wrote:Well if you are going to be so pedantic as to expect that he has interviewed all AFC and PAFC supporters then yes, he doesn't "know".

@bennymacca - mate, can you ensure in future any comments you make you specify if the evidence to support your comment is anecdotal, verified by means of a survey or if a parliamentary inquest provided you with the results?

Thanks in advance mate.

Actually thinking about it Benny is probably right and I man going to do a backflip.
Apologies Benny.

The fact that a Port supporter is supporting your argument proves your point mate. :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm

I have to admit I did laugh at that last comment john :)

Seriously though I was just trying to make an observation from sitting in the crowd at crows games. Sometimes I just have to facepalm.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 pm

I guess Ebert wont be signing "Never tear us apart" at the next home game. Too late.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Tech1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:PORT Adelaide Magpies legend Russell Ebert says scrapping the club’s junior teams will “destroy the very fabric” of the club.

The club’s under-18s played their final match last Saturday, beating rival Glenelg by 49-points at Alberton Oval.

The Magpies will lose their recruitment zones and underage teams from next season, following an agreement with the SANFL to become AFL side Port Adelaide Power’s reserves.

Four-time Magarey Medallist Ebert said the move would cut the organisation deep.

“It begins to dismantle a club which has served the community for 144 years,” Ebert said.

“The common thread for a lot of people in the community and country regions over the years has been the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Magpies.

“Why would you want to destroy the very fabric of what the club has been built on?

“Whether you liked the Magpies or not, at least it generated that connection with football across the state.

“What are these people in the community going to be connected with now?”

The under-18s team, which did not make the underage finals, will be dismantled in the off-season and its players likely absorbed by SANFL rival Woodville-West Torrens.

The Eagles were given control of the Magpies’ metropolitan recruitment zones following last month’s shake-up of club boundaries.

The club’s SANFL League and Reserves teams will remain next season.

Ebert was recruited from Berri and played in three Magpies flags and won six best and fairest awards.

He said the move to dismantle the underage program defied everything the club had been built on.

“Why destroy all of that? All that junior development and community connection will be gone and where are the kids going to go?

“They will either go back to amateur footy or be lost to footy altogether.”

The Magpies’ League side recorded its 44th minor premiership on the weekend despite going down to the Tigers.

The club will play the winner of the Norwood/Sturt clash in the first week of September.
The date and time of the match at Adelaide Oval is yet to be decided.

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it, isn't this what Port wanted?? They don't need junior teams or even one single recruiting officer anymore, they are a feeder to the Power, which they wanted. I'm dumbfounded....

Exactly, this is laughable but he's actually serious, the time for talking about this was last year! They had a choice, they didn't have to follow the crows, this is what port people are like in general only thinking of themselves, no interest of what's best for the SANFL competition. Probably thinks that it's great that port power reserves are sitting top of the ladder though right? Give me a break.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby LPH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 pm

I don't think he supports the 'NO AFL in the SANFL' ideal at all.
I think (like all Port supporters through 140+ yrs) he is wanting the best for his Club, alone.
(I can understand that BTW, if I were a Port supporter (God forbid), I too would 'want my cake & eat it too).

He wants his AFL Team, with his SANFL 'Prison Bars' & related Junior Squads to continue.
Reading between the lines, he wants 'The Peninsula' & existing 'Country Zones' to REMAIN PAFC's & to continue that recruitment & progression through the Grades that has traditionally occurred 'down there'.

What Russell (& others like him) fail to recognise is that this 'status quo' provides one entity with a massive advantage over the rest of the competition & ultimately destroys the Integrity & Fairness of that very competition that gave him (& others like him) such 'community'.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:18 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Yep. Requires no more tinkering with top up players, half arsed "salary caps", finals qualifications etc etc.
It's a no brainer.

You know I have dismissed this concept as a little out there, but there is some merit. If we moved the fixtures back to the SANFL GF after the AFL, the AFL teams would have a reserves game guaranteed for a little further into the AFL finals series. However my preference if we cant have the AFL reserves team out of the comp is for the games not to be played for points, enabling the SANFL league teams a developmental approach to the game. Then who cares about post game awards attendance, its just for development of both teams.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:21 am

Maddawg wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I would like to see the qualification for finals more harder. Once they have played 6 AFL games they cant play SANFL finals none of this current transparent crap where you have to work out how many of the last 5 they have played up or whatever the rule is.

so they can play 70% of the time in the SANFL but not be eligible for finals? surely that isnt a workable solution

Its a means to an ends. If you want to get rid of an employee, you make it unworkable. By putting conditions like that on the two teams you wont need to kick them out, they will leave voluntarily

I like the idea of taxing them out, at least we will make some coin.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:31 am

whufc wrote:Yep there is now so much more luck involved in sorting out the SANFL ladder.

If you can 'catch' the AFL reserves side on certain weekends due to their injury list, upcoming AFL fixtures, AFL current ladder postition etc etc you can almost get a 3-4 advantage on other sides.

Yep Roy basically said that after our narrow win against the Power reserves. The issues of full time players versus a young developing Centrals team was also emphasised.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:
What I do think is disappointing is the attitude of a few that don't go to support their club due to the implementation of the 2 reserves team. Not true supporters and the so called passionate supporters should be embarrassed to attend a game if we get rid of the AFL reserves.

Well Ive gone through my first SANFL season without attending a Glenelg game for the first time since 1981, it does feel weird Ill admit, but I attended more footy than ever in 2014 by switching my attention to Grassroots footy, in particular the SFL but also saw some Ammo and country footy. Competitions that are genuine and Ive enjoyed the year away from the SANFL.

I did go to one SANFL game, Adelaide v West earlier in the year, due to mini league commitments, Ive seen more atmosphere at a chess tournament.

As it stands I will probably go to a few Glenelg games next year, but after the events of us supporting the "new era" I had no desire to put any $ towards the GFC in 2014.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:45 am

Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 am

AFL SA under 23 league
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:00 am

Dutchy wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:
What I do think is disappointing is the attitude of a few that don't go to support their club due to the implementation of the 2 reserves team. Not true supporters and the so called passionate supporters should be embarrassed to attend a game if we get rid of the AFL reserves.

Well Ive gone through my first SANFL season without attending a Glenelg game for the first time since 1981, it does feel weird Ill admit, but I attended more footy than ever in 2014 by switching my attention to Grassroots footy, in particular the SFL but also saw some Ammo and country footy. Competitions that are genuine and Ive enjoyed the year away from the SANFL.

I did go to one SANFL game, Adelaide v West earlier in the year, due to mini league commitments, Ive seen more atmosphere at a chess tournament.

As it stands I will probably go to a few Glenelg games next year, but after the events of us supporting the "new era" I had no desire to put any $ towards the GFC in 2014.

Same as you Dutchy. Thought I might go to a couple of games but it didn't eventuate.
Football in this state has been poisoned and the toxins have spread to kill my love of the game in general.
I'm not happy about it. It's just the way it is.
Have spent all my football energies at my boy's games.
Thanks to the crowd at SA football's last supper: Leigh, John, Steven, Rob, Brenton, David, Keith, Kurt, Nick, Bohdan, Joe, Jason and Paul.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:01 am

Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 am

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.

I'd draw the gate closed on the moat if I were you. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 am

I'm behind a pretty decent security fence and swipe control atm. Should I stay here? :)

Seriously though, I think that's where a lot of the conflict arises. Nobody bats an eyelid when a player from their local team moves to the sanfl, but people seem to he stuck in the 80s mentality that he sanfl is on equal terms with the vfl. It isn't anymore.

Not saying this allows the reserves teams in etc, that is a different argument.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am

bennymacca wrote:

Now a lecture on selfishness :lol: Must admit its a real Gen Y perspective to lecture in such a bold way on a concept you obviously do not understand. Its all about the journey, not about the destination. Gotta love Postmodernism.

I accept that you have a point - the player has every right to have a dream to play at the highest level. The clubs should respect that wish. The spectators who support the club should respect that.

The question is, if offered the opportunity to leave the club mid way through a commitment, to the detriment of the club, team mates, supporters, volunteers, community, who is the selfish party?
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:43 am

bennymacca wrote:

I understand at the end of season Benny and im all for guys having a crack at AFL but not swapping midseason.
So you would be happy if Centrals were sitting top at the halfway point of the season and then had their best 3 or 4 players pinched halfway through the year and ended up missing finals?
De-values the comp even more IMO.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL