The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 am

Dols wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Dols wrote:memership in the SANFL is up 3% on last year.

A 3% increase is hardly worth writing about.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised this is the case. Do you have the figures at hand, Dols? I wouldn't mind a look.
Jake Patterson in the advertiser:

"Our other key indicators are up — membership is up three per cent. Media interest and website activity is up. This tells us there is a vibrant and successful SANFL. And we are working at making it stronger.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up three percent! That means they only have a bit more than seven percent * to make up on the ten percent loss from 2014!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-n ... ef78e0246e
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1562 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Or better still change Ports rules to match Adelaide and get rid of the academy side altogether, no home games and a £50k contribution.
That would solve the issue of playing completely different teams.

As for limiting AFL listed players, that should be a given anyway. No more than 14 max, assuming we re going to be stuck with the AFL Reserves.
Your arrogance is that you think Port has the right model and Adelaide should get it too.

You still don't get it, do you?

If neither side has a team in the reserves competition then when Port v South takes place, who does South's two's play if Port has no SANFL reserves side? Who does West's two's play if the league is playing Adelaide, kapish?

I do get it. I just don't agree with you and that's the bit you don't get. The reserves would be 8 teams, 4 games a week.

Ports academy should be disbanded with those players moving to SANFL clubs
Creating an Adelaide academy will dilute the SANFL even further. How long before you start asking for an Academy Rerserve squad to provide top ups for the Academy side who are providing top ups for the Reserves side who are providing top ups for the AFL side.

At that point Port and Crows will be renting out whole suburbs so they can claim little Ricky is resident in their zone and the SANFL won't even be a feeder league anymore.

Kapish ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:08 am

UK Fan wrote:
Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Or better still change Ports rules to match Adelaide and get rid of the academy side altogether, no home games and a £50k contribution.

As for limiting AFL listed players, that should be a given anyway. No more than 14 max, assuming we re going to be stuck with the AFL Reserves.
Your arrogance is that you think Port has the right model and Adelaide should get it too.

If neither side has a team in the reserves competition then when Port v South takes place, who does South's two's play if Port has no SANFL reserves side? Who does West's two's play if the league is playing Adelaide, kapish?

We dont get it.

How about "Who gives a shite about reserves".

Hopefully you can figure the rest out.

He's a clever boy, he'll get there in the end.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 am

Just read your last post JTC and you are SPOT ON about them pushing ground once they get a foothold. Yeah, a simple reserves side (or a reserves' reserves) is basically just an opening gambit, both clubs have a history of dishonesty regarding these manoeuvres. Once it is approved they'll already be searching for ways to push their luck further. No wonder the Power and the Magpies were at each other's throats before they were "one club".
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:16 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

I do get it. I just don't agree with you and that's the bit you don't get. The reserves would be 8 teams, 4 games a week.

Creating an Adelaide academy will dilute the SANFL even further. How long before you start asking for an Academy Rerserve squad to provide top ups for the Academy side who are providing top ups for the Reserves side who are providing top ups for the AFL side.

At that point Port and Crows will be renting out whole suburbs so they can claim little Ricky is resident in their zone and the SANFL won't even be a feeder league anymore.

Kapish ;)

Yes, the reserves will be 8 teams, 4 games per week. Excellent maths.

Hopefully you can add up that one team, per week, will have the league and the reserves playing at different locations. Meaning support staff can't be at both. Now, that won't work, will it?

Anyway, it's all piss in the wind here. The two sides aren't going anywhere soon and unless people are willing to look at the happiest medium possible they'll be disappointed for some time.

*EDIT - LOL, yes, Port and Adelaide will move families from one suburb to another to ensure they get the right type of top up player. :lol:

You blokes make me laugh, I tell you. Some of the bullshit can be very entertaining.
Last edited by Booney on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7510 times
Been liked: 10805 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:17 am

I'm all for anything that improves the shit we have and realistic to know the Reserves are not going away anytime soon.
I just don't agree that adding another Crows squad is the answer.

And your sarcasm is unnecessary. Just because I don't agree with you.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:21 am

johntheclaret wrote:In pretty sure Booney gets that.
I'm all for anything that improves the shit we have and realistic to know the Reserves are not going away anytime soon.

By doing that it's a manner in limiting AFL listed players at SANFL league level. With both sides having a team in the SANFL reserves the league could limit AFL listed players at league level, make top up players under 23 and never AFL or SANFL listed, make it 10 teams in both competitions, get Adelaide to play at Thebarton and the SANFL get the revenue, Port pay the fee as Adelaide do.

Surely a level headed discussion about a happy medium is better than just stomping your feet and saying get out. That isn't going to happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 am

Looking at the happiest medium possible?
You do not realise the nature of your own club. Everything the Power does is a strategy for gaining ground. Searching for a happy medium with that mob just gives them a halfway start. I was one that didn't want to see the end of the Magpies in the SANFL but have now realised that it is necessary for the comp to survive.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am

UK Fan wrote:
Dols wrote:
LPH wrote:
Dols wrote:For clubs it's not about money over the gate, it's about money spent once they are in there. Ask the Eagles, there is only one game a year they sell out of all drink and food. Who? The magpies.

Oh, I thought it was about MEMBERSHIP numbers - don't these Members put money over the Bar & through the Canteen & BBQs?
Do you seriously believe that a bunch of free tickets given to local kids via letterbox drops is a SUSTAINABLE revenue stream?
You're not on the SANFL Commission are you?
memership in the SANFL is up 3% on last year. Next[emoji457]

Its Jake Parkinson.

http://www.cdfc.com.au/season-2015/dog- ... mber-2015/

Photos from Sundays game.

Note Eric in photo 177 on official cdfc website.

Centurion literally is IN :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2055 times
Been liked: 3903 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:42 am

Booney wrote:Yes, the reserves will be 8 teams, 4 games per week. Excellent maths.

Hopefully you can add up that one team, per week, will have the league and the reserves playing at different locations. Meaning support staff can't be at both. Now, that won't work, will it?

The SANFL clubs have managed an 8 team comp with the U/18s playing at different venues for a few years now. No reason the reserves couldn't play curtain raisers to the juniors once in a while - particularly since they'd also be on an 8-team fixture.

Nevertheless "Adelaide needs a reserves-reserves team so the SANFL clubs don't have to play separate reserve games" is possibly the flimsiest reason I have yet seen in favour of interloper interests.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 am

Booney wrote:

By doing that it's a manner in limiting AFL listed players at SANFL league level. With both sides having a team in the SANFL reserves the league could limit AFL listed players at league level, make top up players under 23 and never AFL or SANFL listed, make it 10 teams in both competitions, get Adelaide to play at Thebarton and the SANFL get the revenue, Port pay the fee as Adelaide do.

Surely a level headed discussion about a happy medium is better than just stomping your feet and saying get out. That isn't going to happen.

You make some valid points. I realise they wont be getting kicked out but more and more people will continue to walk away each year. Sub 1k crowds will become the norm in a few years. A lot of ling time supporters are either dwindling due to age, death or lack of interest and there doesnt seem to be the interest in the kids.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:46 am

Pseudo wrote:
Booney wrote:Yes, the reserves will be 8 teams, 4 games per week. Excellent maths.

The SANFL clubs have managed an 8 team comp with the U/18s playing at different venues for a few years now. No reason the reserves couldn't play curtain raisers to the juniors once in a while - particularly since they'd also be on an 8-team fixture.

Nevertheless "Adelaide needs a reserves-reserves team so the SANFL clubs don't have to play separate reserve games" is possibly the flimsiest reason I have yet seen in favour of interloper interests.

Oh dear Russell Ebert. It's not to keep the AFL clubs happy, FFS, it's to work towards a point where the SANFL has a more even playing field, by reducing the number of AFL listed players at SANFL league level.

Now while "kick them out" is your only answer, that isn't happening soon, so work towards a better outcome than the one we have. Wouldn't that be a good move?

Quote "Just kick them out, that'll be the best move - Naive SA Footy poster"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:47 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

You make some valid points. I realise they wont be getting kicked out but more and more people will continue to walk away each year. Sub 1k crowds will become the norm in a few years. A lot of ling time supporters are either dwindling due to age, death or lack of interest and there doesnt seem to be the interest in the kids.

I figure by reducing the disparity in the league some people, the ones not as dismayed as many on here, may not walk away.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:52 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I figure by reducing the disparity in the league some people, the ones not as dismayed as many on here, may not walk away.

Fingers crossed hey.

Goodbye SANFL!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:55 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

You may be correct.
Whilst there are many who dont want them in full stop there are just as many who aren't fussed if they are in just as long as they are never allowed to be successful. A premiership to either of them would be the definate death knell to the comp
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:58 am

Jim05 wrote:You may be correct.
Whilst there are many who dont want them in full stop there are just as many who aren't fussed if they are in just as long as they are never allowed to be successful. A premiership to either of them would be the definate death knell to the comp

Correct. The extreme of "just get out" while vocalised by a few isn't the view of all. The people who have accepted the entry yet want a playing field as level as possible are the ones who would be kept.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

Kapish ;)

Yes, the reserves will be 8 teams, 4 games per week. Excellent maths.

Anyway, it's all piss in the wind here. The two sides aren't going anywhere soon and unless people are willing to look at the happiest medium possible they'll be disappointed for some time.

[b][b]*EDIT - LOL, yes, Port and Adelaide will move families from one suburb to another to ensure they get the right type of top up player. :lol:

You blokes make me laugh
[/b][/b]

What is so funny at that. Man U, Chelsea, Arsenel etc do it all the time. How do you think Beckham ended up at Man U. And Chelsea was investigated for doing the exact same only 2 or 3 years ago.

Give it another 5 years or so when AFL clubs have expanded their squads to include U18's and the draft has lost its value, you will all want to keep who you sign up and you'll put new rules in place to prevent one club from stealing young talented players from another clubs' zones. With the $billions rolling In the value of young talent to AFL Clubs will grow exponentially and the idea (and comparative cost), of renting a flat or a house in your zone so you can move in and sign up a potential star player on the basis that they are resident in you zone, won't be so far fetched.

(For "you & you'll" I mean the AFL and AFL Clubs)

The AFL doesn't give a shit about the SANFL, WAFL or any other so called "feeder" leagues and neither do the Adelaidd Crows or Port Adelaide. Whilst the state leagues serve a purpose, as now with the 2 AFL Reserves, then the status quo will be left alone.

But once the AFL decides it is more beneficial for its clubs to develop U18 squads by signing young talent directly and cutting out the middle man, they will do it in a heartbeat and at that point the state leagues such as the SANFL will lose their U18, U16 squads as the talent is picked up by the AFL Clubs.

State leagues will be reduced to little more than ammo status as they will attract only players who won't make the AFL grade and players returning once their AFL career is finished. There might well still be some structure between the ammo's and the state leagues but by then the state league clubs will be so shafted it won't mean anything and the days of the likes of Walker etc starting their career in the SANFL will be well and truly over.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Booney wrote:Oh dear Russell Ebert. It's not to keep the AFL clubs happy, FFS, it's to work towards a point where the SANFL has a more even playing field, by reducing the number of AFL listed players at SANFL league level.

Not selling it as ground rationalisation any more then?

Given that the smears spent years moving their listed players to Alberton under the pretext of maximising their exposure at SANFL league level - and given that the clowns were not interested in fielding a team in the SANFL reserves comp, they insisted it be in league ranks - I don't think either club would be keen on a system which reduces the number of AFL listed players at SANFL league level. As you are so fond of saying, It Won't Be Happening Soon.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:12 pm

Man U and Chelsea, they're as important to this discussion as Fred and Wilma Flintstone. :lol:

The AFL won't do away with the draft, it's money spinning theatre and they know it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Booney wrote:Oh dear Russell Ebert. It's not to keep the AFL clubs happy, FFS, it's to work towards a point where the SANFL has a more even playing field, by reducing the number of AFL listed players at SANFL league level.

Not selling it as ground rationalisation any more then?

Given that the smears spent years moving their listed players to Alberton under the pretext of maximising their exposure at SANFL league level - and given that the clowns were not interested in fielding a team in the SANFL reserves comp, they insisted it be in league ranks - I don't think either club would be keen on a system which reduces the number of AFL listed players at SANFL league level. As you are so fond of saying, It Won't Be Happening Soon.

It's not a matter of keeping the two sides happy, it's in the aid of finding a place where more people are content with the set up as it is pretty clear the two sides aren't going anywhere soon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL