The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:41 pm

stan wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Not the Crows' fault the SANFL is dying. They didn't vote. Point all you like at 5AA, MMM, Riccuito and anyone whose primary focus is the AFL, but the real villains are the ones whose primary focus was meant to be the SANFL. Glenelg, North, West, Woodville-West Torrens, Sturt and Norwood are the right targets for the anger.

Would love to know whether Tripodi is still proud of the concessions he got in exchange for his vote.

Crows are a valid target too as it was their lies and deceit that helped sway the ignorant directors.
4K per game and only entering the comp if the vote is unanimous ring a bell?

Their arrogance knowing it doesn't matter who they alienate in this state because they have a flock of plastic sheep that fly as one also adds to it. They've alienated many potential and existing followers of their club but they don't care as they don't have to work hard in marketing like most clubs do, another plastic sheep will just take over from any that fall off.

Bang on there but Tripodi is still a bigger prick.

The Crows gave the bullshit and there is no way the clubs actually brought that garbage. It was just the agendas of a fricken deligates that sold us out.

Correct the one we should be most dirty on is Norwood. Their president sold out for concessions for his own club and possibly other interests as well outside of football.

Other clubs saw the easy money with the licence fees when in hindsight I think the free money doesn't get anywhere close to covering the losses in other areas.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Scoop » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:43 pm

But our hastags are up, which is the important thing, so crowds in decline are immaterial...

#SANFaiL
Insanity Multimedia and Nick Hook Photography
Scoop
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 pm

How many ballots did they hold before the "acceptable" yes vote was taken?
I remember Port trying to push it through, and getting knocked back at least once, I have a feeling there might've been another vote ir two held before the Crows really applied the pressure. It has been mentioned that at least one club president had his business interests threatened.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:48 pm

saintal wrote:Well said Dogs72. Sh*ts me that the likes of Ruccuito and vocal crows fans on facebook etc. only think this is an issue b/c of Saturday’s result. They miss the point. They also have short memories, overlooking the fact that Port were a kick away from a flag and finished 2nd last season at end of minor round. People were complaining then, this is nothing new.

As far as media coverage goes…I tuned into 5AA sports show quite a bit last week (yes, some may question my sanity). With no AFL matches on I hoped there might be a bit more SANFL content. The Ellis-Yolmen saga got a bit of air time, and they had a chat with Heath Younie one night about the exciting proposition of playing a final. On a whim I sent them a text late Thusday, which to my surprise they actually addressed. To summarise the text it was basically ‘no AFL this week and yet SANFL still struggles to get a mention on your show. Some publicity of the other clubs may help get the 10K you want to see turn up’.

Both hosts were quite defensive about it, pointing to the chat with Younie as an example of them plugging the league, while Bickley struggled to grasp the concept that the more casual or armchair Sturt/South/Centrals supporters may be more persuaded to attend if they heard a bit about their club or a club representative was given air time to talk about the game in the lead up.

The station’s Thursday night SANFL segment and Sunday night show have both been culled over the past 2 years, this despite the inclusion of the reserves sides.

Yes, because even mainstream media understand, IT'S JUST A RESERVES COMP NOW. Ironically, the sweetener of balancing out the loss of integrity with higher media coverage hasn't materialised, owing to the loss of integrity.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:53 pm

heater31 wrote:
stan wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Not the Crows' fault the SANFL is dying. They didn't vote. Point all you like at 5AA, MMM, Riccuito and anyone whose primary focus is the AFL, but the real villains are the ones whose primary focus was meant to be the SANFL. Glenelg, North, West, Woodville-West Torrens, Sturt and Norwood are the right targets for the anger.

Would love to know whether Tripodi is still proud of the concessions he got in exchange for his vote.

Crows are a valid target too as it was their lies and deceit that helped sway the ignorant directors.
4K per game and only entering the comp if the vote is unanimous ring a bell?

Their arrogance knowing it doesn't matter who they alienate in this state because they have a flock of plastic sheep that fly as one also adds to it. They've alienated many potential and existing followers of their club but they don't care as they don't have to work hard in marketing like most clubs do, another plastic sheep will just take over from any that fall off.

Bang on there but Tripodi is still a bigger prick.

The Crows gave the bullshit and there is no way the clubs actually brought that garbage. It was just the agendas of a fricken deligates that sold us out.

Correct the one we should be most dirty on is Norwood. Their president sold out for concessions for his own club and possibly other interests as well outside of football.

Other clubs saw the easy money with the licence fees when in hindsight I think the free money doesn't get anywhere close to covering the losses in other areas.

Opportunistic prick in the end. Even if the alleged concessions were not on the alleged table, would he still have voted in line with the club and supporters or was the alleged outside opportunities too great allegedly.....?

Dont know but I think we were always a yes vote for that reason and the short term view will kill the long term future.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:55 pm

heater31 wrote:Correct the one we should be most dirty on is Norwood. Their president sold out for concessions for his own club and possibly other interests as well outside of football.

Remember it was Joe, not Norwood that made the vote (mind you I wouldn't be surprised if our club had ****** it up anyway if it was left to them). He also wouldn't have been the only one voting in such a way for personal interests (if that were the case for Joe voting the way he did, which I don't think was the case).

The majority of Norwood members didn't want it IIRC. Thats what hurt the most. Many of the other clubs didn't canvas their members or even allow their members a voice, but ours did. Then our SANFL director voted against it anyway.

Im not sure any of the "Yes" voting club people can claim the moral high ground, they all ****** up. Every single one of them.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MatteeG » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

JK wrote:
Im not sure any of the "Yes" voting club people can claim the moral high ground, they all ****** up. Every single one of them.

Correct. I hate the situation as much as anyone, but my club voted Yes, so we deserve whatever happens.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:00 pm

JK wrote:
heater31 wrote:Correct the one we should be most dirty on is Norwood. Their president sold out for concessions for his own club and possibly other interests as well outside of football.

Remember it was Joe, not Norwood that made the vote (mind you I wouldn't be surprised if our club had ****** it up anyway if it was left to them). He also wouldn't have been the only one voting in such a way for personal interests (if that were the case for Joe voting the way he did, which I don't think was the case).

The majority of Norwood members didn't want it IIRC. Thats what hurt the most. Many of the other clubs didn't canvas their members or even allow their members a voice, but ours did. Then our SANFL director voted against it anyway.

I seem to recall a C7 interview with Joe on the Parade publicly declaring 'No' a few weeks later he'd changed his position.....what or who got to him to change his mind.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm

therisingblues wrote:How many ballots did they hold before the "acceptable" yes vote was taken?
I remember Port trying to push it through, and getting knocked back at least once, I have a feeling there might've been another vote ir two held before the Crows really applied the pressure. It has been mentioned that at least one club president had his business interests threatened.

I recall the Crows put forth their first proposal mid 2013 IIRC and it was knocked back unanimously, then they came back with a modified scheme that got over the line in which Tripodi changed his tune.

Yes, I read somewhere here FWIW that someone was made 'an offer they couldn't refuse.' The Crows and Sando (remember him?) were desperate to get the reserves thing happening ASAP. As the long-term sporting darlings of SA sport the Crows have plenty of resources, devoted corporate followers and powerful connections which I'm sure were put to good use in maximizing leverage. It's rare for any negotiation to occur where both parties are on a level playing field, particularly with another party who is has a recognized weakness. The Crows knew a lot of the clubs were under considerable financial stress (not mine, which doesn't explain why the f**k they voted for it), and IMHO exploited it. Everyone has a price, which for the SANFL clubs is apparently $50,000 a year. The scales were heavily tipped in the Crows favour to get what they wanted, and once they found the clubs' breaking point, they did.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:04 pm

heater31 wrote:
JK wrote:

I seem to recall a C7 interview with Joe on the Parade publicly declaring 'No' a few weeks later he'd changed his position.....what or who got to him to change his mind.

Joe had been "No" all along, and staunchly No .. He was definitely "got to", Im just not sure that it was on business grounds. Although with his associations it obviously couldn't be ruled out.

The change of decision for him, as I remember it, seriously came at the 11th hour.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:14 pm

JK wrote:
heater31 wrote:
JK wrote:

Joe had been "No" all along, and staunchly No .. He was definitely "got to", Im just not sure that it was on business grounds. Although with his associations it obviously couldn't be ruled out.

The change of decision for him, as I remember it, seriously came at the 11th hour.

Too late for the club he's representing to question the back flip.
Strategic timing?
Last edited by therisingblues on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:15 pm

I understand why this whinge is happening, but is there any chance someone can start talking up the SANFL on this forum? Fair dinkum, nearly every thread has a negative tone.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2613 times
Been liked: 1852 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:21 pm

MW wrote:I understand why this whinge is happening, but is there any chance someone can start talking up the SANFL on this forum? Fair dinkum, nearly every thread has a negative tone.

Plague is everywhere my friend. This is no time for laughter.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:24 pm

I get that, but how do you expect to get more people along when they read some of the comments on this forum?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2613 times
Been liked: 1852 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:31 pm

MW wrote:I get that, but how do you expect to get more people along when they read some of the comments on this forum?

Comprehension of this discontent makes it harder for the reserves to remain. The Ravens, Central game has proved to be a watershed. Mr and Mrs Mainstream is finally sitting up and taking notice. The other side's spin doctors are currently at work. We'd be fools to suddenly stop now. Remember, this is truthfully how we feel, suddenly that seems to be worth something.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby zipzap » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Spot on theri
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby another grub » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:38 pm

What was the entry fee on sunday?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 425 times

Postby saintal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:45 pm

another grub wrote:What was the entry fee on sunday?

$15

On a positive note, they opened up the members area to all. Much better place to stand and watch than the outer.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:53 pm

It's ok guys, the TV ratings were good. The League is saved.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:07 pm

For the record, I think the weak 6, (who generally go nameless in this debate), should be recognisable in the interests of accountability.

So who were they? From my (rapidly fading memory)

Joe Tripodi
Nick Chigwidden
Kurt Slaven
Bohdan Jaworski

Can anyone correct/complete the list?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL