The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30 am

The talk is of 35 in 3 years time, there would have to be a gradual decline, can't do it all in one season.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 am

Dutchy wrote:The talk is of 35 in 3 years time, there would have to be a gradual decline, can't do it all in one season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390818/how- ... ist-sizes-

The AFL is set to change in many ways because of the coronavirus pandemic, including the increasing likelihood of smaller playing lists in 2021

THE AFL seems increasingly likely to order the slashing of playing lists, with 35 firming as the ideal number.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:00 am

in 3 years time yes, they are not going to drop 16 off their lists at the end of 2020.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am

UK Fan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:The talk is of 35 in 3 years time, there would have to be a gradual decline, can't do it all in one season.

The AFL is set to change in many ways because of the coronavirus pandemic, including the increasing likelihood of smaller playing lists in 2021

THE AFL seems increasingly likely to order the slashing of playing lists, with 35 firming as the ideal number.

Im not sure this as good a thing for the SANFL as it appears.

Whatever rules are put in place are going to be extremly in favour of AFL club as an example rather than have a mid year draft AFL clubs will probably be able to replace long term injured with new players from the SANFL at any point in the season.

Whatever way this goes this is going to be more in favour of the AFL than the SANFL.

The AFL clubs will get the best out of both worlds.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:11 am

Dutchy wrote:in 3 years time yes, they are not going to drop 16 off their lists at the end of 2020.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/dangerfi ... s-c-957596

Unless I’m reading it wrong the article and media reports(Damien Barrett)State yes they are cutting lists drastically.

Salary cap Needs to be slashed next year.

It’s unbelievable I know but there are many articles to reference the list cuts.

Approx 200 Current afl footballers won’t be on a list next year.

How many kids are going to be drafted This year ?? Usually you need to open up a minimum of 3 spots Every year, I’m going to assume that will be reduced.

Many questions still unanswered at this stage
Last edited by UK Fan on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 am

whufc wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Whatever rules are put in place are going to be extremly in favour of AFL club as an example rather than have a mid year draft AFL clubs will probably be able to replace long term injured with new players from the SANFL at any point in the season.

Whatever way this goes this is going to be more in favour of the AFL than the SANFL.

There will be a mid season draft under the new proposed structure which isn’t ideal but we have that now.

As you say there will be greater emphasis on using the draft with smaller lists but this will be offset by the clubs reduced salary cap.

I didn’t think any player transfers could occur after June 30th. But I’m not sure about afl contracts.

Either way the scum are looking less likely to be in our comp next year. The sANFL is preparing for an 8 team comp next year And afl players when not playing afl will be farmed back out to sanfl clubs.

They are the positives to take out of it at this stage.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:41 pm

UK Fan wrote:
whufc wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

There will be a mid season draft under the new proposed structure which isn’t ideal but we have that now.

As you say there will be greater emphasis on using the draft with smaller lists but this will be offset by the clubs reduced salary cap.

I didn’t think any player transfers could occur after June 30th. But I’m not sure about afl contracts.

Either way the scum are looking less likely to be in our comp next year. The sANFL is preparing for an 8 team comp next year And afl players when not playing afl will be farmed back out to sanfl clubs.

They are the positives to take out of it at this stage.

Less likely now, you losing confidence :lol:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:in 3 years time yes, they are not going to drop 16 off their lists at the end of 2020.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/dangerfi ... s-c-957596

Unless I’m reading it wrong the article and media reports(Damien Barrett)State yes they are cutting lists drastically.

Salary cap Needs to be slashed next year.

It’s unbelievable I know but there are many articles to reference the list cuts.

Approx 200 Current afl footballers won’t be on a list next year.

How many kids are going to be drafted This year ?? Usually you need to open up a minimum of 3 spots Every year, I’m going to assume that will be reduced.

Many questions still unanswered at this stage

Got any recent articles, these are weeks and 'days' old. Plenty has been discussed since then including reducing lists gradually, feel free to post these in 2 and a half weeks time.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 pm

So when you break it all down the Crows decision to join the SANFL in 2013 has killed the Magpies. Someone, somewhere will enjoy that.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby sib » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:06 am

Where did you pull 16 from. Current lists are 44. Most clubs have 38+6 rookies. Some 40 and 4.

So its only 5 players out plus a few retirees
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:23 am

sib wrote:

Where did you pull 16 from. Current lists are 44. Most clubs have 38+6 rookies. Some 40 and 4.

So its only 5 players out plus a few retirees

Incorrect, some clubs have up to 47, with Cat B rookies. To get down to 35 they will need to delist down to 32 as it is mandatory to draft at least 3 players.

AFLPA won't like this big a cut, so I suspect it will be reduced down over a 3 year period, even if it means some cuts to salaries on the top end.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:43 am

Is it 35 main lists or 35 total (inc rookies) I’ve seen the number of 35 but never any official source that confirms they’re talking about the main of full list.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:So when you break it all down the Crows decision to join the SANFL in 2013 has killed the Magpies. Someone, somewhere will enjoy that.

No, Port Adelaide's decision to turn the Magpies into a reserves team has killed the Magpies. They were only copying the Crows and already had a vehicle to do it.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:So when you break it all down the Crows decision to join the SANFL in 2013 has killed the Magpies. Someone, somewhere will enjoy that.

No, Port Adelaide's decision to turn the Magpies into a reserves team has killed the Magpies. They were only copying the Crows and already had a vehicle to do it.

And they wouldn't have done it unless Adelaide did it, their preference was to stay as they were.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:

And they wouldn't have done it unless Adelaide did it, their preference was to stay as they were.

Not sure about that mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 pm

JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not sure about that mate

Of course they were happy to stay how it was, they were slowly moving all their Power listed players to the Magpies anyway IIRC
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brett » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:55 pm

That would have been happening behind the scenes.They wouldnt do it upfront lol
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:48 pm

JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Not sure about that mate

They were spewing that they lost their zone, junior teams and academies. This article shows that when Crows were given OK they still wanted to be stand alone.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 10b1cf02cd

By the terms set by the commission, Port Adelaide must be offered exactly the same terms for any Power reserves team in the SANFL. But this requires Port to remove the Magpies under-age teams from the SANFL and concede recruiting zones in the city and Eyre Peninsula.

Power CEO Keith Thomas said his club would keep the full-scale Magpies next year and seek a change in policy from the commission for 2015.

“I wish to advise that our position hasn’t changed. We are preparing to compete in the SANFL competition in season 2014, under the same conditions as currently exist," he said.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am

Article does nothing but confirm what they said publicly. Imho (with some homework done), they wanted their own reserves side (as you’d expect all clubs would).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 am

My recollection is the Crows drove this all to happen, Im not convinced Port would have made the move if the Crows didn't instigate it
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL