The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby kickinit » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

some interesting facts about the crowds, there is some games that didn't have a recorded attendance. Only 6 games last year attracted over 4,000 people 4 nights games, anzac day game and 1 day game. Finals week 1 isn't listed, finals week 2 9,248 with 4 teams and finals week 3 5,221. Propect best crowd last year was rd 11 3,493 ( rd 17 doesn't have a figure), with a average of 2673. Should the SANFL look at moving to night games, to try and increase the crowds instead of trying to compete with ammo/jnr football.

http://footybets.com/seasons/season/SANFL/2013
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 pm

kickinit wrote:some interesting facts about the crowds, there is some games that didn't have a recorded attendance. Only 6 games last year attracted over 4,000 people 4 nights games, anzac day game and 1 day game. Finals week 1 isn't listed, finals week 2 9,248 with 4 teams and finals week 3 5,221. Propect best crowd last year was rd 11 3,493 ( rd 17 doesn't have a figure), with a average of 2673. Should the SANFL look at moving to night games, to try and increase the crowds instead of trying to compete with ammo/jnr football.

100% agree!!!!

By playing Saturday arvos you are automatically eliminating a high percentage of your target audience.

The SANFL definatly needs to be more creative in when they fixture games (except for at 12noon on a Saturday)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Pseudo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:28 pm

zipzap wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Here's one of my big gripes.
Last year the Crows said they would be playing to win in the SANFL. However, in yesterday's paper Sanderson said Walker would likely resume in the SANFL "in a controlled way, perhaps starting with half a game that builds to three quarters".
Are they going to rest him (or it could be Jenkins, or any other playesrcoming back from a long term injury) if the game is still in the balance at half or three quarter time? That is what the B-grade competition of any standard of competition is for, not the A-Grade.
Similarly if they rest him before the last15 minutes of a one-sided game it's not playing to maximise/minimise percentage.
Just more bullsh!t from them. Not that I was expecting anything else.

Yep, and although it's sweet today, the franchises getting belted week in week out is almost more of a mockery to the comp than them dominating. They don't give a sh1t!!

You still planning to go to the practice game next week to serve it up to the crow pillocks?

Sounds like you might have a hell of a time finding one in the crowd.

Better to boycott the game, you know it makes sense ... 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

kickinit wrote:some interesting facts about the crowds, there is some games that didn't have a recorded attendance. Only 6 games last year attracted over 4,000 people 4 nights games, anzac day game and 1 day game. Finals week 1 isn't listed, finals week 2 9,248 with 4 teams and finals week 3 5,221. Propect best crowd last year was rd 11 3,493 ( rd 17 doesn't have a figure), with a average of 2673. Should the SANFL look at moving to night games, to try and increase the crowds instead of trying to compete with ammo/jnr football.

Fair point as I saw more Broadview people at the game today than Cows supporters.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
dedja wrote:For those that can't or won't move on, who have protested by not buying their club's membership this year, won't go to Port or Crows SANFL games, or for those that just need a place to sook.

Here you go.

Just because you don't give a rats about the club or your comp doesn't mean we should be the same.

Vice President, arena advertising and sponsor the club ... please advise what else I need to do to give a rats. #-o
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 pm

dedja wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:
dedja wrote:For those that can't or won't move on, who have protested by not buying their club's membership this year, won't go to Port or Crows SANFL games, or for those that just need a place to sook.

Here you go.

Just because you don't give a rats about the club or your comp doesn't mean we should be the same.

Vice President, arena advertising and sponsor the club ... please advise what else I need to do to give a rats. #-o

Buying the GFC Photographer and a certain unnamed member of the GFC support staff beers post match would help....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Faark, I've been caught out! :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:24 pm

plug your businness ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby zipzap » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Pseudo wrote:
zipzap wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Here's one of my big gripes.
Last year the Crows said they would be playing to win in the SANFL. However, in yesterday's paper Sanderson said Walker would likely resume in the SANFL "in a controlled way, perhaps starting with half a game that builds to three quarters".
Are they going to rest him (or it could be Jenkins, or any other playesrcoming back from a long term injury) if the game is still in the balance at half or three quarter time? That is what the B-grade competition of any standard of competition is for, not the A-Grade.
Similarly if they rest him before the last15 minutes of a one-sided game it's not playing to maximise/minimise percentage.
Just more bullsh!t from them. Not that I was expecting anything else.

Yep, and although it's sweet today, the franchises getting belted week in week out is almost more of a mockery to the comp than them dominating. They don't give a sh1t!!

You still planning to go to the practice game next week to serve it up to the crow pillocks?

Sounds like you might have a hell of a time finding one in the crowd.

Better to boycott the game, you know it makes sense ... 8)

As luck would have it we'll be on the road anyway so don't have to make the call. Shame, I'd already started rolling spit wads

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 am

dedja wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

Here you go.

I actually like the idea of this thread Dedja.
I love my footy and my team so having a thread to vent seems a good idea to stop every other thread degenerating into the same stuff.
It hasn't seemed to work on the North v Adelaide Post game thread, still worth a try anyway.

I do think you are being a bit unfair though. Not everyone feels the same as you and don't want to "move on" as you say, and good luck to them. Theirs one particular fan I think of as a friend who was one of the most dedicated to his club that you could wish to meet, who won't even talk about them now, such is his angst at what his club did by voting Yes. But I respect his right to make that choice as should everyone else.

Realistically everyone should be pointing the finger at the 6 clubs who voted yes. Had they stayed firm the reserves wouldn't be in our league. I just want North to win a flag. It's costing me a frigging fortune to watch losing GF's.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby dedja » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 am

You"re pretty much on the money JTC on the reason for starting this thread, but I also did it with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Of course it's up to the individual on how they wish to react to the events from last year, and there has been a range of ways that people have, but it got to the point that every single thread was and is degenerating into the same thing.

So this if you like is the sticky to vent.

I personally wasn't happy that my club made the decision that it did, and worried that it was the beginning of the end. I also was pissed about the way the Crows conducted themselves through the process, especially the way Trigg was bullying clubs and the SANFL.

I know Nick Chigwidden reasonably well, and I know how much that man has dedicated his life to the Glenelg Football Club, firstly as a player, next as a very active Board member, and now as the President. He puts in a mountain of hours for little personal gain and to the detriment of his family and business interests.

If there is a person that bleeds more for the club then I'm yet to meet them. I also know the members of the Board, the CEO, players and their parents/families. Not all, but some really well. When I've discussed the AFL Reserves topic the reaction has generally been to support Chig's decision. I'm no orphan here, a lot of you are either well known within your club or know the key players well.

I also note that those within my club who seem to be most vocal did not seem to be active within the club as there was little mention of the topic at the AGM.

Now I may be mistaken. I could be talking to the wrong people, or could be underestimating the work that those opposing the AFL Reserves have been conducting.

What I do know is that my club is financially on its knees. I know that our new CEO is working his arse off to get the club back on track, and after reviewing the finances and seeing how he is approaching the task, I'm confident the job is in good hands.

I also know that protests which include not taking out memberships, not going to selected games or not continuing to be involved with the club will only hurt the club, and if enough do it, could ultimately contribute to bringing down the club.

Anyway, please vent away, enjoy the thread and go hard at what you believe in.

If you could also keep the other SANFL threads somewhat clean of this issue then it will be a win-win for all.

Cheers ...
dedja
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah, what they said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 pm

A lot as been made of the extra media coverage the league will receive with the addition of the 2 AFL reserves teams.

Thought the live telecast on 7Mate was fantastic on thursday night, however South played West on Sat Night and not a mention of it on AdelaideNow at all.

Pretty sure last year all games got some sort of mention. More Coverage??? Not so sure.

My fear is the games involving the AFL reserves will receive plenty of coverage but the traditionally smaller supported clubs will get reduced coverage!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby RB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm

I would like to whinge about the fact that the Crows blooded two 'project players' yesterday. One of the many ways they're just using the Sanfl as a glorified training session. IMO 'project players' don't belong in league ranks.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

They looked like they should have been playing kick to kick in the parklands
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times

Postby RB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 pm

In that case that's where they should be playing. It's criminal that anyone should be given a league game other than on merit.
RB
Coach

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Rosewater resreves?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Bah grizzle grumble. Project players, AFL hacks. Grizzle grumble some more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:Rosewater resreves?

Send them down to Mitchell Park on Saturday, our reserves are playing Flinders Uni A grade . I could go on about compromised competitions and lack of integrity but it's been done to death already
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby RB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Booney wrote:Bah grizzle grumble. Project players, AFL hacks. Grizzle grumble some more.
It's easy to label people as whingers. Doesn't make what we're saying any less legitimate. But hey, you're having fun with this issue, and that's all that matters, so give yourself a pat on the back, champion. :-)
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL