The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Hazydog wrote:
zipzap wrote:
Hazydog wrote:But we believe a Crows team will attract crowds from 2000 to 6000."- So given that 4k plus were in attendance, he wasn't wrong was he?

Quite a stretch I would have thought. Of the 4k in attendance only a tiny percentage would have been actually attracted by the Camry Clones

That's the point though - I dont think they said theywould bring 4K of their supporters, just that games involving them would attarct crowds between 2-6K.

(Which obviously was a backflip from initially stating they would get average crowds of 4K)

Maybe they count on losing 3 in a row in the AFL. It was commented by a North official yesterday that they expected 2k more Crows supporters if they'd beaten Sydney. Mind you 2k plus what they had yesterday would have still been well short of 4k.
They really have mis-judged.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Yep agree the 4k figure was ludicrous

I don't buy the 2k extra if they won either.

The simple fact is people arent that interested ins reserves team, look at the VFL, look at SANFL reserves finals at suburban grounds.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:55 pm

In the Crows favour if you said at the start of the year they'd be ahead of Central, West and Glenelg on the table you'd look at them as a success! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

whufc wrote:Yep agree the 4k figure was ludicrous

I don't buy the 2k extra if they won either.

The simple fact is people arent that interested ins reserves team, look at the VFL, look at SANFL reserves finals at suburban grounds.

Exactly, the VFL is a perfect example, lucky to get 2000 people to Collingwood v Essendon, despite both clubs having 60k + members.
Every now and then the VFL gets a bigger crowd if a big gun player plays. With the hype around Tex it will be interesting to see how many extra turn up for his comeback
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 pm

That was one of my arguments right from the start - no one goes to watch reserves teams, at any level. Why would the Crows be any different?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:14 pm

because they are the team for all south Australians and I would've thought that if the seniors are struggling, some may jump on the ressies bandwagon...........
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:18 pm

You are kidding. Who is going to go and watch the crows reserves.... seriously?

What a circus
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:That was one of my arguments right from the start - no one goes to watch reserves teams, at any level. Why would the Crows be any different?

so if no one watches reserves teams why were 4000+ at the game? was it just 4000 North supporters at the game?
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:That was one of my arguments right from the start - no one goes to watch reserves teams, at any level. Why would the Crows be any different?

so if no one watches reserves teams why were 4000+ at the game? was it just 4000 North supporters at the game?

As others have posted at very least there was around 90% north supporters which means there was around the 400 crows supporters

All that on the 'historic' first game, central location, perfect weather, while the Crows reserves season is still alive, imho that figure will be as good as it gets for the Crows.

Will you be heading out to Elizabeth next round on the Easter long weekend to watch the ressies

As has been posted teams like Essendon and Collingwood have around 120,000 members between the two of them yet can't get much more than 2k to a reserves game.

The SANFL can get around 7-9k yet a reserves final at a suburban ground is lucky if there is any more than 500 people.

Try and not feel to bad that you were also duped into believing that team for all south Australians can't get 4000 of its supporters to a reserves game you weren't the only one who was fooled by it.

History was there for us all to see it but unfortunately some chose to ignore the most basic facts.

I also can't believe the Crows weren't held accountable for having to promote the game in the local area. From my understanding nothing changed in regards to community promotion of the match
whufc
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:

Yes
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:24 pm

so if North had played a non AFL team the crowed would have been 6000+?

So North can expect to get crowed of 4000-6000 for most home games this year when you take into account most of those are against non AFL sides.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:so if North had played a non AFL team the crowed would have been 6000+?

So North can expect to get crowed of 4000-6000 for most home games this year when you take into account most of those are against non AFL sides.

Who knows we will see what they get for therest of the year but I'm pretty confident a North v Norwood game on that exact same day would have got a bigger crowd

The big test will be are how many go to the next north vs crowd game as doubt there would have been some north supporters there for the novelty factors of seeing the first crows reserves game as well.

My guess will be that will be the biggest crows reserves crowd this year except for maybe the 'Taylor walker' come back game OMG!
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:so if North had played a non AFL team the crowed would have been 6000+?

Not at all, a lot of other SANFL fans dont travel too well. Plenty of SANFL games where the away support would be only 500-1000
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Pretty simple, TB. Numerous people on this forum who were at the game have said that there were less than 500 Crow supporters at the game. You can choose to believe them, or to believe Triggy.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:48 pm

whufc wrote:

Who knows we will see what they get for therest of the year but I'm pretty confident a North v Norwood game on that exact same day would have got a bigger crowd

The big test will be are how many go to the next north vs crowd game as doubt there would have been some north supporters there for the novelty factors of seeing the first crows reserves game as well.My guess will be that will be the biggest crows reserves crowd this year except for maybe the 'Taylor walker' come back game OMG!

so you think North supporters were at the game to see the Crows. So what happened to no one watches reserves teams.
Crows are even getting opposition supporters out to watch them and your still bi***ing about it.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Postby LPH » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 pm

To be fair, I think it is too early to say whether or not this many or that many Cows supporters turn up to games.
I think we need to wait until 1/2 way thru the season to get a good idea of actual numbers.

That said, it will be interesting THIS week with the AFL Team playing in Melbourne, whether more Cows supporters go to watch the Reserves Team - I suspect there will be more but not that much more.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Aerie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 pm

If the SANFL clubs keep winning - the focus won't be on the AFL Reserves sides in the SANFL. Playing Adelaide is essentially like having a bye. Everyone disliked Port Magpies anyway and it would seem a reasonable amount of their supporters have bought in to this one-club thing so still a side to dislike.

Meanwhile we have gotten rid of AFL players from SANFL sides so it is a fair playing field for at least 8 clubs, there has been an injection of cash in to the competition to at least give commercial tv a go and those that had no idea and thought the AFL sides will dominate are actually made aware the SANFL is a good quality competition with very good footballers.

It didn't feel any different to me watching the Eagles on the weekend and had the added bonus of not having to see someone like Campbell Heath running around in an Eagles guernsey.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby sjt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Aerie wrote:If the SANFL clubs keep winning - the focus won't be on the AFL Reserves sides in the SANFL. Playing Adelaide is essentially like having a bye. Everyone disliked Port Magpies anyway and it would seem a reasonable amount of their supporters have bought in to this one-club thing so still a side to dislike.

Meanwhile we have gotten rid of AFL players from SANFL sides so it is a fair playing field for at least 8 clubs, there has been an injection of cash in to the competition to at least give commercial tv a go and those that had no idea and thought the AFL sides will dominate are actually made aware the SANFL is a good quality competition with very good footballers.

It didn't feel any different to me watching the Eagles on the weekend and had the added bonus of not having to see someone like Campbell Heath running around in an Eagles guernsey.

Yeah and we lose callinan even after he's delisted. Under a concept we didn't vote for.
Last edited by sjt on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 pm

LEH wrote:To be fair, I think it is too early to say whether or not this many or that many Cows supporters turn up to games.
I think we need to wait until 1/2 way thru the season to get a good idea of actual numbers.

That said, it will be interesting THIS week with the AFL Team playing in Melbourne, whether more Cows supporters go to watch the Reserves Team - I suspect there will be more but not that much more.

Your right it is way to early to know what impact it will have but still hasn't stopped some from whinging about it.

How's the GGs going LEH beating the bookies yet? And are Fulham stuffed or they going to stay up on the last game of the year like a few years back?
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Postby LPH » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Had a shocker @ Morphettville on Saturday - but you live to fight another day :roll:

FFC will stay up - we have 3 home games Norwich, Hull & Palace - must win this week, 3 nil would be nice just to help our GD with them.
Probably come down to the final match of the season to be honest - where there's light there's hope 8)
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL