The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
DOC wrote:What is yet to come out is what will they do if we don't?
Not sure what more they can do or what more the SANFL has to lose by denying the AFL's wishes.

During the 2013 AFL Reserves debate (if it could be called that), a lot of people seemed to fear the consequences if the SANFL didn't acquiesce to the Crows and Power fielding reserves sides.

I still don't know what people thought the AFL would actually do.

Give Port and Adelaide the shittiest time slots to ensure the lowest possible crowds and least revenue to the SMA > SANFL?
For starters, I'd imagine they'd both ark up about that, and we'd only be talking e.g. 9 Sunday graveyard games instead of 6 anyway; the AFL aren't going to completely screw over the Crows, at least.

But anyway, your response proves my point, in practice the AFL only have a few relatively small sticks with which to hit the SANFL, and avoiding them is hardly worth caving in.

It's hardly in the SANFL's interest to defy the organisation that get's $1.25bn every 5 years or so though, isn't it?

Even the schmucks at the SANFL are smart enough to know without the AFL looking down upon them favorably they're basically consigned to the scrap heap on their own, the SANFL doesn't generate enough revenue to live on their own two feet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Booney. How much do you think the AFL gives to the SANFL?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby stan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 pm

The SANFL make there big $$$ through the SMA, as long as they are entrenched there they have the $$$ coming in and the AFL can't hurt them.

Seriously there s no need for rule changes.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby RB » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:It's hardly in the SANFL's interest to defy the organisation that get's $1.25bn every 5 years or so though, isn't it?

Depends. Often it would be very much in the SANFL's interest to defy the AFL.

I'm not saying the AFL have no clout. I'm just saying it's more limited than one might think.

It's about balancing the pros and cons. Again, I think people overestimate what the AFL can/will in practice actually do.

If anything, the AFL are experts in calling everyone's bluff.

The AFL would like the SANFL to change its name, change the rules, pay players less, make it U/23s, and a thousand other things, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 pm

The SANFL could have quite easily survived without the AFL reserves and the intervention from the AFL to use it as a practice ground for its rules.
The interpretation of rules was far better in the sanfl than the afl, i cant comment on recent years interpretation as I havent really watched any matches.
The AFL, Crows, Power and even SANFL are just fear mongerers.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Another drop in salary cap and the comp will literally be dead and just be a glorified ‘amateur premier league’
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brett » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 pm

I would like to see some factual financial numbers on some comments. Sounds like a typical smoke and mirrors . I also look forward to the financial situation of the Power Franchise.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby mal » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
am Bays wrote:So what were people’s thoughts on Marty Snook winning the JO!

Well deserved, wouldn’t have been surprised if Aggers or Jesse won it though.

Matty deserved the Jack Oatey Medal
GL deserved to win the Premiership
Watching GL this year reminded me of the way Norwood played under Nathan Bassett and Benny Warren
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:42 pm

whufc wrote:Another drop in salary cap and the comp will literally be dead and just be a glorified ‘amateur premier league’

May as well just merge with the Amateur league and have pro/rel lol
Wont be long and the salary cap will be under that of country/metro amateur Victoria, pretty sure that's 200k
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby stan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Brett wrote:I would like to see some factual financial numbers on some comments. Sounds like a typical smoke and mirrors . I also look forward to the financial situation of the Power Franchise.
I'm not sure if Michael would know what he was looking at. The boucing ball might, not sure about you though.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am

DOC wrote:The AFL have asked the SANFL to:

Remove the last touch out of bounds free kick.

Increase the 25 metre penalty to 50 metres.

Reduce the salary cap.

Answers - good, don't mind, added nothing to the game. Bring back the third man up at the contest and it will alleviate congestion anyway.

Phht, not the way the AFL pays them - no.

If the salary cap reduces, who would play SANFL unless you're trying to get to the AFL? The regional clubs would be laughing at this information and the chance to extracate players from SANFL clubs who can't be bothered training 4 times a week and playing for peanuts.

I expect the SANFL to say "no, yes and yes" though, just on past experience.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am

Reduce the salary cap.

Any information on WHY exactly the AFL wants the salary cap reduced?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 am

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Another drop in salary cap and the comp will literally be dead and just be a glorified ‘amateur premier league’

May as well just merge with the Amateur league and have pro/rel lol
Wont be long and the salary cap will be under that of country/metro amateur Victoria, pretty sure that's 200k

If it drops any more i think your right.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:33 am

therisingblues wrote:

Reduce the salary cap.

They only want all the state leagues to be development for AFL clubs and not in any way be any form of competition to them. If they could they would have all the state leagues removed from TV. You want to watch football, then they are the only option.

They feel that the relevant clubs would then put more into junior development (u/18s) for their draft.

It's all about them. Sorry, forgot about the grassroots training day once a year when the players wear their former guernsey's.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby RocketRoosterJr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:47 am

If the SANFL drops their salary cap anymore the SANFL will have no players left. I know a few quality ex-SANFL players (one recently retired) who simply left because the money is too low for them to give up 3 nights a week to train and a whole day on the weekend. Why would they when cashed up Country Clubs pay more and are happy if these types of players show up once a week to train!
RocketRoosterJr
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

DOC wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

Reduce the salary cap.

They only want all the state leagues to be development for AFL clubs and not in any way be any form of competition to them. If they could they would have all the state leagues removed from TV. You want to watch football, then they are the only option.

They feel that the relevant clubs would then put more into junior development (u/18s) for their draft.

It's all about them. Sorry, forgot about the grassroots training day once a year when the players wear their former guernsey's.

Yep because the AFL is a business who want total domination of the entire Australian sporting landscape. Whether its other sporting codes or even the same such as the SANFL, the fact we can get 30k plus to a Grand Final is a threat that still exists.

A full round of SANFL would average what 6-9k a week. That is an extra 6-9k that should be an AFL game on the weekend. If the AFL can win them, over a whole season that is a shit load of dollars.

Personally i think the AFL really started to act when the SANFL marketed the league with the 'Your tribe is calling' . The SANFL started to aim at being an alternative to the AFL but there was no way the AFL were ever going to let that happen.

The AFL has 4 big growth markets
1/ females
2/ summer
3/ aussie rules fans not attending AFL games, including the WAFL would be around 10-16k people a week.
4/ new arrivals to the country
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:55 pm

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again

The AFL should come to the party and set the salary cap for each non-AFL aligned club in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL as 10% of the AFL Salary cap.

This may mean that out of the TPP pool of $$$ there may be an initial hit to the AFL clubs salary cap but the major state league players should be recompensed to the dedication, application, effort and sacrifice they put in each season.

Many of the state league players are footballers who were sold a dream and missed out or cut loose too early in the cut throat world of AFL club list management and drafting. Many of those who missed out have had to tread the fine line between studying year 12 and preparing for 18s nationals and attending draft camp all they while, while trying to prepare for exams. Don't tell me something get sacrificed along the way.

Paying them a decent wage to play good footy at a high level as per their passion for the game is something out sport can afford IMO.

I'm not suggesting they get paid as much as AFL listed players but I am suggesting they can a fairer recompense for their abilities. As I said I suggesting they get 10% of what an AFL player does when it's not hard to argue that most SANFL league players are at least 50-80% of the standard of AFL players if not more. This will help them play catch up on there careers post footy as they study or do a trade or whatever to help build there lives.

In fact watching past SANFL finals series (2016,2017 and 2019) it's not hard to argue that performances displayed showed that in some cases SANFL listed footballers are better than some of their AFL contemporaries
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Players like Marlion Pickett could be lost to the bush if there's no incentive to be playing at the next best level. And that's not going to benefit the AFL.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 pm

spell_check wrote:Players like Marlion Pickett could be lost to the bush if there's no incentive to be playing at the next best level. And that's not going to benefit the AFL.

Oh spelly, how naive of you.
Don't you know the prospect of being picked up in the mid-season draft is guaranteed to keep players in the state leagues longer. wank wank wank
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby RocketRoosterJr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm

whufc, the 6 to 9k people who attend SANFL games each week will not automatically go to an AFL if the SANFL didn't exist, many AFL fans don't follow the local 2 teams and others couldn't afford the ridiculous price for season passes to watch 2 bottom 8 teams.

On the point of females the AFL has far to rapidly expanded their product while the state female leagues are struggling to find competitive players already. Add to that our State Government pulling massive $ out of the budget for upgrades for female sports across the board and whatvlittle incentive females had to chase their footy dream is dwindling.
RocketRoosterJr
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL