The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby stan » Wed May 13, 2015 10:54 am

Jim05 wrote:Just get rid of the intruders, make entry fees $10 and promote the league as an AFL alternative and try some differant timeslots or maybe even some double headers. That would bring in more than enough people to cover the costs of the $50k they give.

Maybe that's the key. Reducing entry costs as well as going back to the previous AFL listed player system. Hence without the reserves teams.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 am

i dont think it can go back to the previous system where the players were spread throughout the sanfl clubs, and i dont want it to go back to that, it was a crap system (but still better than it is now)

i think its time for the afl clubs to actually do the hard yards and come up wiht a system that benefits themselves, not just expect to be able to use and abuse another league for their own benefit. vote them out, and then what happens with their reserves players are their problem. get the brains trusts at west lakes and alberton to nut out a solution.

good luck with that
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:19 am

I agree, I think its time for the SANFL to re-invent itself.

No more AFL players being distributed throughout the SANFL clubs.

Double Headers would be a great idea, could start the first game at around 3pm and then start the second at around 6 or 6-30 as an example.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wild dog wrote:
matt35 wrote:So a club that was against the changes from the start. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thats right a club suffering from a severe drop in home numbers directly attributed to the reserves issue. It's an issue in motion so there is plenty to see.

Playing devils advocate here but, why would Centrals' numbers be down as they voted no?

Fair question and the simple answer is I don't know. There was probably a small expression of loyalty from some last year, but that has now evaporated. I cant fathom why you would do it to a club that listened to its members, but I suppose their point of view is they want to watch and follow a competition that means something, and loyalty only goes so far.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I agree, I think its time for the SANFL to re-invent itself.

No more AFL players being distributed throughout the SANFL clubs.

Double Headers would be a great idea, could start the first game at around 3pm and then start the second at around 6 or 6-30 as an example.

This
Let them go to the VFL or ammos, no more AFL players in the comp.
Double headers are fantastic
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am

tipper wrote:i dont think it can go back to the previous system where the players were spread throughout the sanfl clubs, and i dont want it to go back to that, it was a crap system (but still better than it is now)

I know that I'm in the minority but I did not mind it, and that is probably based on the Stewart Dew, Shannon Hurn and Justin Westhoff examples. I liked being able to see at least some of the local lads being able to play league, some AFL, come back get some kicks and development and help the team. Imported guys like Guerra seemed to have a real feel for the club. The disruption seemed to be balanced against the benefits, but I suppose looking back we were in the middle of the dynasty so that perspective may be rose tinted.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am

so we are left with 8 Clubs

we play eachother 3 times for a 21 round season

we play each other home and away and perhaps at a neutral venue as part of a double header to try and make the draw as fair as possible.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 12:02 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:so we are left with 8 Clubs

we play each other home and away and perhaps at a neutral venue as part of a double header to try and make the draw as fair as possible.

bring back games at adelaide oval. one home, one away, one game at adelaide oval between each of the clubs. surely in this day and age the oval can cope with 2 games on it some weeks.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 pm

wild dog wrote:
tipper wrote:i dont think it can go back to the previous system where the players were spread throughout the sanfl clubs, and i dont want it to go back to that, it was a crap system (but still better than it is now)

I know that I'm in the minority but I did not mind it, and that is probably based on the Stewart Dew, Shannon Hurn and Justin Westhoff examples. I liked being able to see at least some of the local lads being able to play league, some AFL, come back get some kicks and development and help the team. Imported guys like Guerra seemed to have a real feel for the club. The disruption seemed to be balanced against the benefits, but I suppose looking back we were in the middle of the dynasty so that perspective may be rose tinted.

i think it actually worked quite well during the season, but fell over come finals time when the afl clubs were often reluctant to have their players at risk in the sanfl when the afl clubs season was over. it wasnt perfect, but it was better than the current situation

edit: i should say, it was a crap system compared to not having the interferance of the afl players at all. for what it was, it worked, and just fell over at the most important point of the season for 5 clubs. it would be better than what we have now, however i still dont think that we can go back to that system. that bridge has been burned
Last edited by tipper on Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:so we are left with 8 Clubs

Yep with AO being the neutral venue

Would love to see the first round of the year be played as double/triple/quadruple header at AO (maybe over two days) to boost enthusiasm, maybe making it something like a dollar day or gold coin donation day

Allocate sections of the ground to each team to promote there own club with membership booths, membership discounts for people who join on the day etc, clubs could run shuttle buses into the ground for spectators etc

Probably then have to go to a final 4 system but that's not the worse thing.

Move GF back to week after AFL grand final
Last edited by whufc on Wed May 13, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed May 13, 2015 12:08 pm

tipper wrote:
wild dog wrote:

i think it actually worked quite well during the season, but fell over come finals time when the afl clubs were often reluctant to have their players at risk in the sanfl when the afl clubs season was over. it wasnt perfect, but it was better than the current situation

Totally agree
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 pm

bring back the pre-season cup!

even though not all teams were trying to win there were some really good crowds in attendance and back then the SANFL and the Clubs did a lot of good promotion
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.

How would the two Adelaide sides reserves teams playing in the VFL affect this mythical 'wider football community'?

It's just more typical Crowist nonsense.

The wider football community is all state leagues, the afl , all supporters, smaller leagues, amateur leagues, player unions, etc

I NEVER once claim to speak for the wider football community but was saying that everyone need to have their say to get the right structure for the sport in general and not just for the afl, SANFL, or any one particular group.

My view is that all leagues are making knee jerk decisions on afl expansions, new teams in state leagues, etc without a clear vision on what the WHOLE structure of football in this country and I don't have the answers and we need to get the right people involve, listen to public opinion to get the right solution.

I can't believe I am getting attack for suggesting that the appropriate parties need to get together to work this out, but if you not anti-crows and anti-port, your opinion get shot down, and dismissed as not worthy.

I Don't have the answers but only suggesting that I would like to see some vision on where the sport is going in the future, rather than just thinking getting rid of two teams in the local leagues is going to solve everything.

I do remember when I started followed the sport in the 70s there was a NFL but I guess that was taken over by the AFL but we may need a group above that to come up with the way the different football bodies work together and deal with issues in the futures,
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 1:10 pm

getting rid of the two afl teams will solve the sanfl's immediate problem. plummeting crowds, plummeting memberships, general apathy towards the comp.... not sure that it will be around too much longer if we just sit on our hands and wait for some magic fairy to bring all of the interested parties together to have a chat first....

the sanfl need to do something now, before it is too late (if it isnt already). get this competition right first, then start agitating for some sort of national forum on the future direction of the game. no good trying to sort out the game nationally if in the meantime the sanfl sputters and dies now is there

meanwhile, i dont see anyone attacking you, i think you are taking our critiscism of your ideas personally. i for one am certainly not attacking you, and i think the idea of a unified approach across the whole country has some merit. i just dont see it being all rosy. the afl would bully its way into getting what it wanted (aflsa anyone??) and it has already proven it doesnt give a stuff about "lower" leagues. it would also take way to much time to organise and hold, then impliment any recommendations coming from it to help the current sanfl situation.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Fluffbag wrote:I Don't have the answers but only suggesting that I would like to see some vision on where the sport is going in the future, rather than just thinking getting rid of two teams in the local leagues is going to solve everything.

Fair request, to go along with some other fair points.

I think we've all wanted that for a long time, but the problem is the AFL plans that for it's own brand, which is fair enough, but they don't ever consider the ramifications on other leagues. If they do, then they are clearly happy to run the others into the ground. What is their stance on state leagues? And for that matter what is the SANFL's stance on their own league?

The dwindling crowds and memberships is the commencement of the final chapter of the SANFL, if nothing changes, and immediately (perhaps too late anyway) it's gone for good (imho).

Some clarity would be great.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Fluffbag » Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 pm

tipper wrote:getting rid of the two afl teams will solve the sanfl's immediate problem. plummeting crowds, plummeting memberships, general apathy towards the comp.... not sure that it will be around too much longer if we just sit on our hands and wait for some magic fairy to bring all of the interested parties together to have a chat first....

the sanfl need to do something now, before it is too late (if it isnt already). get this competition right first, then start agitating for some sort of national forum on the future direction of the game. no good trying to sort out the game nationally if in the meantime the sanfl sputters and dies now is there

meanwhile, i dont see anyone attacking you, i think you are taking our critiscism of your ideas personally. i for one am certainly not attacking you, and i think the idea of a unified approach across the whole country has some merit. i just dont see it being all rosy. the afl would bully its way into getting what it wanted (aflsa anyone??) and it has already proven it doesnt give a stuff about "lower" leagues. it would also take way to much time to organise and hold, then impliment any recommendations coming from it to help the current sanfl situation.

But need to think whether get rid of the teams will fix the issues before we do it, is that the only reason people are not going anymore (market research needed) Does the performance of the afl teams affect SANFL crowds, if more people are going to AFL games, can they afford to go to their local teams as well, how will the business model look like without them.

There are some investigation needed to do a few what-if scenarios before things get changed, these should have been done before the two teams joined. I understand that the people on this forum want the best for the competition but need to make sure it the right decision and what is the impact.

Problems in business can be like trying to squeeze a ballon in a box, you can push one side in but the balloon will overflow at another spot.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I would pretty much guarantee a significant crowd increase next year if the two were booted out
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 pm

the only reason I don't go is because of the reserves
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed May 13, 2015 1:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:I would pretty much guarantee a significant crowd increase next year if the two were booted out

Spot on.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Maybe we could get David Burtenshaw back for his unbiased opinion? (Before he promptly falls off the face of the earth ... Again ...)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL