The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm

The six SANFL clubs treating their members like chumps hasn't helped attendance figures either.

If you want your members/ supporters/ customers to eat a sh*t sandwich telling them 'you're eating it whether you like it or not' isn't a way to encourage loyalty.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Fluffbag wrote:But need to think whether get rid of the teams will fix the issues before we do it, is that the only reason people are not going anymore (market research needed) Does the performance of the afl teams affect SANFL crowds, if more people are going to AFL games, can they afford to go to their local teams as well, how will the business model look like without them.

There are some investigation needed to do a few what-if scenarios before things get changed, these should have been done before the two teams joined. I understand that the people on this forum want the best for the competition but need to make sure it the right decision and what is the impact.

Problems in business can be like trying to squeeze a ballon in a box, you can push one side in but the balloon will overflow at another spot.

ok, ive covered most of those pointe earlier, but il ldo it again.

yes, getting rid of the afl ressies sides will at the very least, arrest the slide of attendances. it will probably bring people back to the sanfl too, if it is done soon and the people who are no longer going havent filled their time with other hobbies. look at this forum as a great example. it is the biggest online collection of sanfl fans you will find anywhere. a great cross section of sanfl supporters, most of whom are against the reserves sides, or have infact stopped attending because of the reserves sides. how much more market research do you want to do? as to those that may not be able to afford to go to their afl teams game and their sanfl teams game, by getting rid of the reserves sides we are actually making it easier for them. now they only have 2 teams to follow, not three (including the reserves side) like they currently do

more people arent attending the afl games this year than they were last year. last season adelaide oval was sold out nearly every game. you cannot physically have more people in the stadium than it will hold, so there cannot be many (if any) more people attending this season. therefore the drop in sanfl crowds cannot be due to more people attending the afl.

i dont understand where you think there will be problems for the sanfl by getting rid of the ressies sides. i get it if you are trying to make us think about the consequences for the afl, but frankly i dont care. what they do with their reserves players is their problem, not the sanfl's. if you look at it from the sanfl perspective, there are only positives for kicking them out. it has been shown that their inclusion is having a negative effect on the league, so remove the cause and save the league. it isnt rocket surgery
Last edited by tipper on Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Getting rid of the Ressies teams would also remove the Channel 7 coverage, one would think. There'd be next to no chance of going back to the ABC, so where does the SANFL stand with it's live streaming capabilities?

Can they take Radio feeds for commentary and then just employ their own team of commentators for streamed games that don't have radio coverage?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
wild dog wrote:
matt35 wrote:So a club that was against the changes from the start. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thats right a club suffering from a severe drop in home numbers directly attributed to the reserves issue. It's an issue in motion so there is plenty to see.

Playing devils advocate here but, why would Centrals' numbers be down as they voted no?

There are two reasons for the general drop in SANFL crowds, not just Centrals.
One is disaffection with club boards, something Dogs fans wouldn't be affected by.
Second is the actual state of the competition.
With the second reason it doesn't really matter how honestly someone worked to produce it, if the end result is not engaging enough to warrant interest, then the product will be adversely affected.

Personally I understand the sentiment of the first reason, but it is a little like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
For me the second reason carries the greater weight. I will still attend if I enjoy it, regardless of how well Sturt perform. ATM crowds are down, which affects enjoyment, and Port and Crows purposely resting players at crucial moments in order to preserve them for an AFL game the following week makes it plastic.
I don't especially like the direction things are going, but I get the feeling I'll probably be part of the last 20% of people to jump ship. I just love getting down to Unley when Sturt is playing there, possibly because I was overseas for so long and witnessed very little footy first hand in all that time.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm

JK wrote:Getting rid of the Ressies teams would also remove the Channel 7 coverage, one would think. There'd be next to no chance of going back to the ABC, so where does the SANFL stand with it's live streaming capabilities?

Can they take Radio feeds for commentary and then just employ their own team of commentators for streamed games that don't have radio coverage?

maybe, but not necessarily. the sanfl pays for it remember. it costs channel 7 nothing. if the sanfl had the money, why would it have to cease?
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 pm

tipper wrote:
JK wrote:Getting rid of the Ressies teams would also remove the Channel 7 coverage, one would think. There'd be next to no chance of going back to the ABC, so where does the SANFL stand with it's live streaming capabilities?

maybe, but not necessarily. the sanfl pays for it remember. it costs channel 7 nothing. if the sanfl had the money, why would it have to cease?

I might be wrong, but my guess would be that 7 would lose the interest and/or up their already exorbitant charge to cover the competition minus AFC and PAFC.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 13, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm going to be honest, with Adelaide Oval upgraded and AFL at a central venue in the city, I suspect we won't see an increase in crowds to the SANFL.
That's not to say the reserves haven't done damage to the brand.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 pm

JK wrote:
tipper wrote:

I might be wrong, but my guess would be that 7 would lose the interest and/or up their already exorbitant charge to cover the competition minus AFC and PAFC.

sadly i think deep down, i have to agree with that, i just live in hope that it wouldnt happen. let me have my dreams [-o<
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'm going to be honest, with Adelaide Oval upgraded and AFL at a central venue in the city, I suspect we won't see an increase in crowds to the SANFL.

still a chance to oust them before they do any more damage though? kick out the bad tennants before they have a chance to completely trash the investment property and burn it to the ground?
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby RB » Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm

UK Fan wrote:Great job Kris Grant.

YIELD TO NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont be afraid to contact the club and show Kris your support 8255 2555.

Lol, I bet you've got that on speed-dial. :D

In all seriousness, this is a positive step but I wouldn't feel even remotely confident in the two cancers being booted out until one of the shady six puts their hand up and admits they've screwed up. Having been at the members' 'information night' held by Kurt Slaven, I'm not holding my breath.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby RB » Wed May 13, 2015 2:35 pm

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:so we are left with 8 Clubs

we play eachother 3 times for a 21 round season

we play each other home and away and perhaps at a neutral venue as part of a double header to try and make the draw as fair as possible.

Yep with AO being the neutral venue

Would love to see the first round of the year be played as double/triple/quadruple header at AO (maybe over two days) to boost enthusiasm, maybe making it something like a dollar day or gold coin donation day

Allocate sections of the ground to each team to promote there own club with membership booths, membership discounts for people who join on the day etc, clubs could run shuttle buses into the ground for spectators etc

Probably then have to go to a final 4 system but that's not the worse thing.

Move GF back to week after AFL grand final

Agree with all of the above. Can't wait to hear what the Crows think about SANFL double headers being played at Adelaide Oval.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Chanel 7 wants to lose ratings that have been hiihgher than anyone predicted at no cost to them. Doubtful.

The 7 deal was reportedly independent of AFL reserves.

seeing they do WAFL and VFL as well now Id be surprised if they left due to no crows/power.

9 was also interested in telecasting SANFL btw,
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'm going to be honest, with Adelaide Oval upgraded and AFL at a central venue in the city, I suspect we won't see an increase in crowds to the SANFL.

I agree, I think there might be a small uplift but not significant. The damage has been done.

Personally I would start going back to games if there was a change, but nowhere near the level I did prior to 2014. I have found dropping back to watching SFL as enjoyable. I suspect many others have changed their regular SANFL habits.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 pm

cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed May 13, 2015 4:58 pm

5AA are inviting people to call in on this issue now...
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Just heard a bit on AA

Bickley is still convinced that it is good to have them and when they go all sponsors will as well
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby saintal » Wed May 13, 2015 5:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard a bit on AA

Bickley is still convinced that it is good to have them and when they go all sponsors will as well

Bickley is still a AFC employee I believe. 5aa are such an impartial station ;)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Rowey backpeddling a million miles an hour. And that **** Bickley just hasnt got a clue. Did he really just say that if there was an AFL reserves comp the SANFL would become third rate and attract crowds of 900
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Ring them Jim.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby stan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:Rowey backpeddling a million miles an hour. And that **** Bickley just hasnt got a clue. Did he really just say that if there was an AFL reserves comp the SANFL would become third rate and attract crowds of 900

Bickley was once described to me as a "dead head" by one of his former team mates.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL