The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Thu May 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Tech1 wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:
dedja wrote:Plus Port's 'agreement' to have a junior structure, academy and recruiting zone were up for review at the end of this year as I understanding it, regardless of the AFL reserves arrangements.

As I mentioned before they are currently lobbying to keep it.

If it can be ceased inn 12 months surely the SANFL clubs can play hard ball now. Far out how soft are they ??

If they keep it, i'm out, not following the sanfl anymore. These pricks think the league is all about them, if they had there way it'd be the PANFL, if the clubs/league can't get things turned around in the next two years, it will be the end of the league, it's already losing supporters and once the novelty effect stops with the crows coming in, watch the crowds drop, port are bringing no more fans to there games and they are in top spot, it's all about pleasing the power and to a lesser extent the crows.

Yes, Port Adelaide run the league. The SANFL do as we tell them. The other clubs are at our mercy and must do what we say, when we tell them to do it. :roll:

This screws up the old "horse before the cart" theory! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I don't have an issue with the Power in fact I admire them in the last couple of years as they just sat back quietly while the Crows set them up beautifully. The Power care only about the Power and good on them. Its the 7 delegates that were more interested in pandering to the Crows than worrying about their own clubs that shit me.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Maddawg » Thu May 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Wedgie, you cant blame The power or The Crows, they both want whats best for their club, and if the dumb arses that gave it to them agreed to it, how can you blame them. The only thing that annoys me is when their supporters are quetioned about the unfair advantage granted to them, they argue as if there is no advantage. What drugs are they on to even deny the fact their is an enormous advantage. Power supporters should just accept that where handed a gift but why should they give it back, if it was my team I would be over the moon.
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Maddawg wrote:Wedgie, you cant blame The power or The Crows, they both want whats best for their club, and if the dumb arses that gave it to them agreed to it, how can you blame them. The only thing that annoys me is when their supporters are quetioned about the unfair advantage granted to them, they argue as if there is no advantage. What drugs are they on to even deny the fact their is an enormous advantage. Power supporters should just accept that where handed a gift but why should they give it back, if it was my team I would be over the moon.

The Power went about it the smart way while the Crows lied and conived their way in and in the process severely hurt their own brand amongst the most loyal footy fans around. I cheered for them live at the 97 GF and all of the 93 finals. Never again, my most hated club in the world.
The Power on the other hand went up a couple of notches in my book and I wish them well.
Most of their supporters will always be dimwits, inbreeding will do that but they're harmless.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm

kickinit wrote:
holden78 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Exactly, stuck with it now.
Will definately be some adjustments to the rules next year though, several clubs will kick up a stink

What, like calling Port "the Power", there is no Magpies anymore ffs!
Give them a limit of 12 professional players per game against SANFL clubs, otherwise f--- off to the ammo's!

you can call us what ever you like. At the end of the day we are the PAFC and we don't give a crap what you think.

That is possibly the truest thing you have ever posted on here Kickitin
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Aerie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Maddawg wrote:Wedgie, you cant blame The power or The Crows, they both want whats best for their club, and if the dumb arses that gave it to them agreed to it, how can you blame them. The only thing that annoys me is when their supporters are quetioned about the unfair advantage granted to them, they argue as if there is no advantage. What drugs are they on to even deny the fact their is an enormous advantage. Power supporters should just accept that where handed a gift but why should they give it back, if it was my team I would be over the moon.

The Power went about it the smart way while the Crows lied and conived their way in and in the process severely hurt their own brand amongst the most loyal footy fans around. I cheered for them live at the 97 GF and all of the 93 finals. Never again, my most hated club in the world.
The Power on the other hand went up a couple of notches in my book and I wish them well.
Most of their supporters will always be dimwits, inbreeding will do that but they're harmless.

The Power lied and connived their way as well.

- Pulling players from SANFL clubs for finals for many years.
- Transferring "disgruntled" players to the Magpies in more recent years.
- Saying when the merger happened that it would only be off-field and the Magpies wouldn't be a Reserves side.

Then they held out for the best deal for their Reserves team and came up trumps. They let the Crows be the bad guys.

They have been doing everything right off-field in the last couple of years.

Good for them. Still gives me the shits and does no favours for the SANFL as a competition. It would have been as simple as the SANFL clubs demanding the top up list was under 21 and saying Power players weren't welcome to play for SANFL clubs if the Power chose not to go ahead with the Reserves.

The SANFL does not need the Magpies. The Power can be as strong as they like in the AFL, provided they're not a drain on SA Football. I quite enjoy watching their AFL team play.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Don't get factual for god sake Aerie.

You are right ,I never agreed as I thought they did, the comp doesn't need Port anymore. They are on their own plus they don't care about the SANFL competition. Make no mistake ...they are currently lobbying to keep what they have and tear up the agreement , anyone see a pattern here ?

What will they do in the bad times ? They are already whingeing about AO revenue and they have only been there a few weeks. Give us a break.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Aerie wrote:
JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Great post Aerie, sadly even if they reverse the decision at the end of the year and the AFL teams piss off the damage has been done, people like myself and others have found other ways to spend our time and $.

No chance the decision will be reversed

Agree unfortunately, unless the figures spiral down alarmingly and quickly. Not unless the AFL decide to introduce a national reserves competition will things change. They are currently looking at "talent pathways", although unfortunately I bet the "State League Model" is the thing they'll stick with.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-12/t ... reage-move

My thoughts, which I think I've put on here before:

- AFL introduce national Reserves Competition.
- Scrap Rookie List, Keep 38 on Senior List, 2 Spots for Mature State League Players (so the carrot dangles), 18 Spots for Academy List.
- Align AFL Clubs with Under 18 and State League Clubs for purpose of filling Academy List (i.e. Port have WWT,NA,CD,WA and Crows have NWD,GL,SA,ST).
- Academy List to be Under 20 (i.e. the 2 years after U18 football).
- Essentially like an Apprenticeship and once they turn 21 they either get upgraded to AFL Senior List or continue on with State League Club, who they would continue to play with if they don't get selected in AFL Reserves side.

I think this would benefit everyone, at least more so than the current situation.

Save money by scrapping NEAFL and return to State Leagues. Scrap Foxtel Cup and potentially transfer sponsorship to Reserves Comp. AFL would be investing in football at all levels if done properly.

Have similar thoughts too, Aerie, but I'd like to see it go a little bit further and have a semi-zone, semi-draft system all the way through.
Each club would get a zone. Maybe Hawthorn (Launceston), North Melbourne (Hobart) and Melbourne (Darwin) forego country zones to help split up Vic country more evenly.
Each team gets three picks out of it's zone each year before the draft. Draft then runs bottom-to-top, hopefully cutting out the innuendo about finishing bottom, because most of the better players would already have been taken, and it would be rare that a zone would have four absolute stand-outs (ie top-25 picks in the current system) in a year, and after that we know it's a bit of a lottery. A club could give up it's third pick in exchange for a pick after the first round.
Lists would be 42, with 12 "development" players able to be used like the current rookies, chosen after the draft so they couldn't be hidden. Straight out of u/18 competition for a guaranteed two years, so there would have to be a rotation of six each year. Part-time, so they could also finish school, work, start uni, trade, whatever, as I think making them full-time could see a drop-off in retention at SANFL level if they haven't made the "pros" after those two years.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby LPH » Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Don't get factual for god sake Aerie.

You are right ,I never agreed as I thought they did, the comp doesn't need Port anymore. They are on their own plus they don't care about the SANFL competition. Make no mistake ...they are currently lobbying to keep what they have and tear up the agreement , anyone see a pattern here ?

What will they do in the bad times ? They are already whingeing about AO revenue and they have only been there a few weeks. Give us a break.

Ironic, considering it was predominantly they who 'drove' the move away from Footy Park FFS!!!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Noooooooooooooooooo. They were up front the whole way. They wouldn't have held discussions behind the backs of anyone.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Here's a thought. If Port or Adelaide "breach' the SANFL "salary cap" do they get the same fine as a legitimate SANFL club? I mean a $20k or $50k fine is nothing to them considering they're turning over $15m-$30m a year. The fine should at least be double.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby LPH » Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Noooooooooooooooooo. They were up front the whole way. They wouldn't have held discussions behind the backs of anyone.

No historical evidence of that! :roll:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby heater31 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:Here's a thought. If Port or Adelaide "breach' the SANFL "salary cap" do they get the same fine as a legitimate SANFL club? I mean a $20k or $50k fine is nothing to them considering they're turning over $15m-$30m a year. The fine should at least be double.

Kick them out of the league for breaking the rules gets my vote.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dols » Thu May 15, 2014 11:30 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:Here's a thought. If Port or Adelaide "breach' the SANFL "salary cap" do they get the same fine as a legitimate SANFL club? I mean a $20k or $50k fine is nothing to them considering they're turning over $15m-$30m a year. The fine should at least be double.
how can this happen? What pay the top up players more than $400? Pfffffft......
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Maddawg » Fri May 16, 2014 8:43 am

Dols wrote:
how can this happen? What pay the top up players more than $400? Pfffffft......

This is what I am talking about, absolute denial that the Power, thinking they don't have any advantage even though they have 22 players on the park being paid $2-$3 million when an SANFL team has an entire squad on $350,000,, this doesn't even take into consideration the page long list of other benefits and advantages of being an AFL team. How can you discuss anything with a Power supporter, when the facts are there.
Maddawg
Mini-League

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 16, 2014 8:52 am

Just a thought - previously the salary cap would have also depended on the amount of afl players in your team too. So if Norwood had 5 and Sturt had 1 they would have also been playing with different salary caps.

Of course the effect is much larger now. Still think it's a minor argument compared to a lot of others though
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cennals05 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:10 am

bennymacca wrote:Just a thought - previously the salary cap would have also depended on the amount of afl players in your team too. So if Norwood had 5 and Sturt had 1 they would have also been playing with different salary caps.

Of course the effect is much larger now. Still think it's a minor argument compared to a lot of others though

My understanding is that clubs still had to fit the AFL players into their salary cap. Each time a player went back they were assigned a certain match payment (paid by the AFL side though) that had to go under the SANFL clubs salary cap.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 16, 2014 9:11 am

Fair enough. It certainly does make a big difference then.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Big Phil » Fri May 16, 2014 9:17 am

cennals05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Just a thought - previously the salary cap would have also depended on the amount of afl players in your team too. So if Norwood had 5 and Sturt had 1 they would have also been playing with different salary caps.

My understanding is that clubs still had to fit the AFL players into their salary cap. Each time a player went back they were assigned a certain match payment (paid by the AFL side though) that had to go under the SANFL clubs salary cap.

I think it was about $300, from memory?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Maddawg » Fri May 16, 2014 9:47 am

The old system was wrong aswell but not to the extent of the new, purely for the fact the AFL players were assigned on an equalisation process. Where the bottom SANFL had the opportunity to choose the AFL players first apart from those ones which were current SANFL players or returning ones. Which had the impact of evening the competition. Now its just two clubs get the AFL players. These AFL players are the best players in Australia for there year level, they are not development players, we all sit there and listen to experts talk about these drafted players and how good they are even the rookies are tauted as supestars. But considering around 60 players get drafted each year from the entire country you would have to expect these players have somewhat of a better ability than that 19 or 20 year old playing for Westies that no AFL club has ever considered.

So when we talk about the 15 AFL players playing in an SANFL reserves squad, think of how good that they had to be even to get drafted. Or just go back and read the blogs about each clubs draft picks this year and it might change your mind about how they do have something special. Its a massive acheivemnt just to get drafted then to actually play AFL football is even bigger.
Maddawg
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL