The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby dedja » Sun May 18, 2014 8:50 pm

massive LOL ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Dols wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dols wrote:
mal wrote:Should the 8 A grade SANFL clubs be granted a higher salary cap as from next season ?
With so many clubs been raped , I think it might be time for a substantial increase

BIGger salary cap
More quality players recruited
Increase standard of the Comp
More ImPORTs v exPORTs is needed
and 8 broke clubs

Thats the only thing I agree with you on.
We cant afford it.
Much easier to peg back the 2 AFL sides and it can be done fairly simply IMO.
- No top ups over 23yo
- Cap AFL players to 12 per game
can't argue about the under 23's, can't limit to 12 a game though, defeats the purpose of playing together. Let's be honest there is an Irishman out there that has played 3 games and he is doing it a lot better then a majority of 'guns' from other clubs. The other 8 clubs need to work harder. The Maggie's aren't any better but gees they are a hell of a lot fitter.

What incentive to get fitter, the majority are getting paid $150-300 to play footy and this is after they have spent 8 hrs per day at their full time job. They are semi professionals only, will never be as fit as full time professionals getting $5-10k per game
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dols » Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Dols wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dols wrote:[quote="mal"]Should the 8 A grade SANFL clubs be granted a higher salary cap as from next season ?
With so many clubs been raped , I think it might be time for a substantial increase

BIGger salary cap
More quality players recruited
Increase standard of the Comp
More ImPORTs v exPORTs is needed
and 8 broke clubs

]what incentive do you need to be the best you can and win? Money?
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Perhaps the players are physically spent after working 8 hours during the day before going to training. Have to take into account the training facilities, diet preparation and personnel. Port have the luxury of a world leader in fitness Burgess, most SANFL clubs can probably only afford some bloke from Anytime fitness to come to the club for an hour a week.
Imagine the outrage if two SANFL clubs suddenly decided to go and play Div 1 ammos, thats what the standard would be like
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby kickinit » Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Maddawg wrote:To Dols, booney. kikinit

This is a serious question, so don’t take it as a dig but with the following, do you see the advantage gifted to you or would you consider having the below all part and parcel
Full Time Coaches, Fitness coach touted as one of the best in the world, Dieticians, Sports Physiologists, Fitness personnel, Doctors and Physios, Massage therapist , player e welfare managers, Million dollar facilities, Million dollar Fitness Facilities, recovery facilities, Million dollar Medical Facilities.
Full Time Professional AFL players averaging around 15 players per game with a combined salary of $2-$3 million dollars
Yes the crows have all of the above and I don’t give a shit as my club doesn’t nor does 7 other SANFL clubs.
I am not whinging because The Power is on Top I dislike the crows with a passion as well for playing in a comp and having these benefits and advantages.
And the thing that pisses every one of the most is you will not acknowledge the advantage given to your team.
You were granted an AFL licence, and good onya, but don’t use the resources of being given that and think you have no advantage or been given any advantage over your opposition. Most of the other items apart from the Salary cap could be taken that the club has worked to get those advantages. But unfortunately the Salary Cap can’t be.
Even Collingwood in the AFL have advantages over the comp in terms of $, but funnily enough a new word has entered the equation Equalisation, where the AFL has said we can’t have a team with that much financial clout and off field advantages although they have the same salary cap as the rest of the comp.
So the Brains trust at the AFL has seen how having a team with more resources will destroy their comp but for some reason you can’t see how it will destroy the SANFL

Maybe you should direct your questions at your club for voting yes.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby saintal » Sun May 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:Perhaps the players are physically spent after working 8 hours during the day before going to training. Have to take into account the training facilities, diet preparation and personnel. Port have the luxury of a world leader in fitness Burgess, most SANFL clubs can probably only afford some bloke from Anytime fitness to come to the club for an hour a week.
Imagine the outrage if two SANFL clubs suddenly decided to go and play Div 1 ammos, thats what the standard would be like

Port player (Heath or Moore I think) after the match on Channel 7 put the start of the season down to the "massive preseason they had" etc. Not sure how blokes who need to work for a living can compete with professional athletes who have all summer to prepare their bodies for the coming season. All these pro-AFL folk can say that the SANFL clubs need to lift their game and train smarter etc, but significant advances cant be made in the current environment.

Yes the Ravens are sitting on the bottom, however if you look at the sides they've been putting on the park (exception being last week v west) they should be performing much better than they are. Their fringe AFL team players have not been performing to the level they should be, and from reading peoples recaps of games etc there seems to be an attitude/culture/leadership problem within the team. Plus the fact that their supporters don't give a stuff about the team probably doesn't help either.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 9:01 am

24laceup wrote:
kickinit wrote: Why do people keeping bringing up about a AFL reserves competition, it is never going to happen.

As much as I hate to admit it, but I agree

Yep, and reserves teams in the SANFL was never going to happen, was it? People kept bringing it up, and guess what?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 9:08 am

Funnily enough, the ladder positions reflect the two concerns that people had about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides to the competition:

1) They'd be too strong,

or

2) They don't give a stuff about results and are there for development.

The models by which both sides have gained entry to the competition seem to have brought both scenarios into effect.

At least when Port was belting the bejaysus out of everyone in the old days, they were doing it under the same rules as the rest of us.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby stan » Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 am

Apachebulldog wrote:Hey fellow die hard SANFL nuts if you are still pi5%%ed off with this farce go to the SANFL web site listed below go to the contact section then to the heading Department click onto Community Engagement and leave your comment do this daily until these faarkwits get the message .

I have requested the sacking of Mr Olsen !!!!!!!

Lol just like when the peanut was premier and had to resign over some alleged dodgy deals...........lol I just read that again and its happening again.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Funnily enough, the ladder positions reflect the two concerns that people had about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides to the competition:

1) They'd be too strong,

or

The models by which both sides have gained entry to the competition seem to have brought both scenarios into effect.

At least when Port was belting the bejaysus out of everyone in the old days, they were doing it under the same rules as the rest of us.

The thing is though, if port were also down the bottom there would be no whinging in this thread whatsoever. It would be "sucked in, this what you wanted." People worried about two (or three) sets of rules wouldn't say a word

Smells of a little sour grapes at this point in time. But also shows that it doesn't take much to turn a really bad side into a really good one. Bottom end depth vitally important.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
24laceup wrote:
kickinit wrote: Why do people keeping bringing up about a AFL reserves competition, it is never going to happen.

Yep, and reserves teams in the SANFL was never going to happen, was it? People kept bringing it up, and guess what?

Well, I heard from a person who would know that a recent get-together in Melbourne of officials from ALL of the State Leagues and major Grass Roots competitions around the nation, that AFL Reserves competition was discussed and could be back on the agenda with the National Competitions governing body sooner than people may think?

If not a National AFL Reserves comp, what is wrong with the Port Power Reserves (aka Magpies) playing the Adelaide Crows Reserves each week. It is only about develoipment for them, isn't it? That would work, wouldn't it?

Would certainly keep the supporters of the other eight clubs happy...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 am

Spot on.
All it needed to turn Port from a basket case to potential flag winner was 15 AFL players. Not much at all when you think about it
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 am

johntheclaret wrote:Spot on.
All it needed to turn Port from a basket case to potential flag winner was 15 AFL players. Not much at all when you think about it

Was talking about the differences in setup between port and crows.

And good to hear a reserves comp is possibly on the agenda.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 am

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Funnily enough, the ladder positions reflect the two concerns that people had about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides to the competition:

1) They'd be too strong,

or

The thing is though, if port were also down the bottom there would be no whinging in this thread whatsoever. It would be "sucked in, this what you wanted." People worried about two (or three) sets of rules wouldn't say a word

Smells of a little sour grapes at this point in time. But also shows that it doesn't take much to turn a really bad side into a really good one. Bottom end depth vitally important.

If you think that, you still have a lot to learn about the passion people have for this competition. We don't want either of them in full stop. Then there would be only one set of rules.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Aerie » Mon May 19, 2014 10:24 am

Big Phil wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
24laceup wrote:

Well, I heard from a person who would know that a recent get-together in Melbourne of officials from ALL of the State Leagues and major Grass Roots competitions around the nation, that AFL Reserves competition was discussed and could be back on the agenda with the National Competitions governing body sooner than people may think?

If not a National AFL Reserves comp, what is wrong with the Port Power Reserves (aka Magpies) playing the Adelaide Crows Reserves each week. It is only about develoipment for them, isn't it? That would work, wouldn't it?

Would certainly keep the supporters of the other eight clubs happy...

My guess is the result of that meeting will see an Under 21 State Competition taking up much of the winter, just like the Under 18 competition does now.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 am

That's the NRL model.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 am

Dogwatcher wrote:If you think that, you still have a lot to learn about the passion people have for this competition. We don't want either of them in full stop. Then there would be only one set of rules.

So what about if the two AFL sides left under the following conditions:
[*] Port and Crows reserves played in another competition (national reserves/VFL etc).
[*] SANFL annual revenue from Adelaide Oval was halved (with this money going back to Crows/Port).
[*] License fee paid to SANFL by AFL clubs (again given they both paid for original licenses) was forgiven.
[*] Channel 7 pulled SANFL TV coverage at the end of current contract.

(Note: under the above model I would expect the SANFL to negotiate directly with the AFL for any additional funding rather than going through Adelaide based AFL clubs ... however the onus/risk would be on the SANFL)
Last edited by TimmiesChin on Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 am

bennymacca wrote:

1) They'd be too strong,

or

What part of "fair playing field" do AFL sycophants not understand.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 am

TC, the 2nd and 3rd points are completely irrelevant and have no relationship with AFL reserves teams in the SANFL.

Nice try though.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am

dedja wrote:TC, the 2nd and 3rd points are completely irrelevant and have no relationship with AFL reserves teams in the SANFL.

Nice try though.

Well they do really.

Without them, the only relationship between the SANFL and AFL sides is the money the SANFL pulls from them out of Adelaide Oval. ... if you don't want them in, then I reckon all ties should be severed and the SANFL should work directly with the AFL, as I believe the VFL, and WAFL do.

Because at the moment it seems that without the money they are generating for footy in this state (and have been for a long time) the SANFL would not be a viable comp. financially.

I'd certainly be happy with a "No AFL in SANFL" ticket if it also involved a "No AFL money in SANFL"
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL