The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 pm

saying they cant claim their heritage is utterly ridiculous

can sydney claim the south melbourne heritage?
can brisbane claim fitzroy's?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby sjt » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:saying they cant claim their heritage is utterly ridiculous

can sydney claim the south melbourne heritage?
can brisbane claim fitzroy's?

Do you seriously believe Brisbane can "claim" fitzroy heritage?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 pm

its not "brisbane" heritage, it is "fitzroy" heritage, which became a small part of the overall brisbane heritage.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am

bennymacca wrote:its not "brisbane" heritage, it is "fitzroy" heritage, which became a small part of the overall brisbane heritage.

I don't think you will find to many Fiztroy fans who consider there club is still alive as part of the Brisbane Lions
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LPH » Fri May 30, 2014 7:06 am

kickinit wrote:
therisingblues wrote:The ramifications of the one club fiasco had plenty to do with the shit we find ourselves in. I would've thought.

The so called "shit" you find yourself in has nothing to do with PAFC. It all comes down to the clubs that voted yes. The sooner a lot of you realise that the sooner you might be able to move on.

LOL. There have been plenty on here acknowledge that the CEOs & the SANFL Directors are at fault over the past 9 months.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Fri May 30, 2014 7:54 am

LPH wrote:
kickinit wrote:
therisingblues wrote:The ramifications of the one club fiasco had plenty to do with the shit we find ourselves in. I would've thought.

The so called "shit" you find yourself in has nothing to do with PAFC. It all comes down to the clubs that voted yes. The sooner a lot of you realise that the sooner you might be able to move on.

LOL. There have been plenty on here acknowledge that the CEOs & the SANFL Directors are at fault over the past 9 months.

Some have moved on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby LPH » Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 am

I would suggest that many have "moved on" - but surely people are still entitled to convey their displeasure @ the current 'state of play' & the inequity of the Competition as a whole. Not to mention the distinct advantage that one particular entity has over the remainder of the Teams within it.

Or should we all be like 'Crowie' & blindly suggest that what is good for the 2 x AFL Clubs in the State, is good for Football 'across the board' in SA?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby johntheclaret » Fri May 30, 2014 10:34 am

Getting the thread back on track.
To me being a club means; Directors change, Managers (Coaches) change and Players change. But the club remains the same and the fans stay loyal because they have no choice. Once you fall in love that's it, it's you club for life.
(Apologies LPH, not having a dig mate. But I would be suprised if the Eagles weren't still in your heart). You might give up on your club, but you don't change aligiances to another club. If you do, then just maybe you weren't in love in the first place.

It's only my opinion but I would not be suprised if most others felt pretty much the same.

This is where I kinda feel sorry for Port fans like Booney because in Port's case, it's more than just the Coach, Players and Directors that have changed. It's the club and the essence of the club itself.

I'd guess that most Power fans couldn't really give a rats arse about the original SANFL Port Adelaide. The "one club" etc is just media bullshit spewed out to justify the Power's disrespect for the SANFL and the true Port Adelaide fans. Booney, I have no idea how long you have supported Port Adelaide and I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say where your passion lies now. But most SANFL fans will genuinely feel that the real Port Adelaide died the day a Port Adelaide Power was born. I suspect many true SANFL Port fans feel the same way.

The fundamental cornerstone that makes a club what it is, is that the club itself doesn't change. Unfortunately I don't think that stands true for Port Adelaide FC
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 am

52000 fans might say the power is the true port Adelaide too...

I think of they both want to claim the previous history good luck to then. I won't lose a wink of sleep either way and I think it's pretty childish arguing over semantics like that
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am

And, yet, you join the conversation to argue the point.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

johntheclaret wrote:Getting the thread back on track.
To me being a club means; Directors change, Managers (Coaches) change and Players change. But the club remains the same and the fans stay loyal because they have no choice. Once you fall in love that's it, it's you club for life.
(Apologies LPH, not having a dig mate. But I would be suprised if the Eagles weren't still in your heart). You might give up on your club, but you don't change aligiances to another club. If you do, then just maybe you weren't in love in the first place.

It's only my opinion but I would not be suprised if most others felt pretty much the same.

This is where I kinda feel sorry for Port fans like Booney because in Port's case, it's more than just the Coach, Players and Directors that have changed. It's the club and the essence of the club itself.

I'd guess that most Power fans couldn't really give a rats arse about the original SANFL Port Adelaide. The "one club" etc is just media bullshit spewed out to justify the Power's disrespect for the SANFL and the true Port Adelaide fans. Booney, I have no idea how long you have supported Port Adelaide and I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say where your passion lies now. But most SANFL fans will genuinely feel that the real Port Adelaide died the day a Port Adelaide Power was born. I suspect many true SANFL Port fans feel the same way.

The fundamental cornerstone that makes a club what it is, is that the club itself dient change. Unfortunately I don't think that stands true for Port Adelaide FC

You state that in all clubs directors, coaches and players change, yet the club remains the same. Then you say this year the club has,in essence, changed, because the players have. Yes?

I've been a life long Port supporter, with 3 generations before me the same and I, at no point on this debate ( and TRB might still be looking ) have I said this is a good thing that has happened. I've only been to two Magpies games this year, solemn, passionless affairs that they were too.

No doubt things have changed for ever more, they'll most likely change every year from now on so like many people on here my interest in the SANFL has diminished.

It's a 5 minute walk to Alberton Oval for me but it doesn't seem the same anymore. Having said that, if a team wearing black and white prision bars is running around the SANFL grounds in action, well they're my team for better or worse and I'll support them. I simply cannot fathom not supporting them out of protest for the decisions others have made and I sure as hell wouldn't be seen dead barracking for any other team. I support two other SANFL clubs with basic memberships as I think they need all the help they can get. But I am, we are, Port Adelaide. It's in my blood.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 30, 2014 10:53 am

bennymacca wrote:52000 fans might say the power is the true port Adelaide too...

I think of they both want to claim the previous history good luck to then. I won't lose a wink of sleep either way and I think it's pretty childish arguing over semantics like that

As noted above if a club is the people, and the people are the club what if most of those or indeed all of those (which isn't the case) people believe the history is part of everthing that is Port Adelaide?

We would not be at AFL level without our proud,rich, successful SANFL heritage. We are a part of the SANFL and long may we continue to be. Why must it be ripped apart in 1997, 2013 etc etc?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri May 30, 2014 10:56 am

bennymacca wrote:52000 fans might say the power is the true port Adelaide too...

That's because you follow the Crows, a modern day franchise, and probably the reason why you completely missed the point of my post.
I notice you display the Centrals badge. Is that just paying lip service or are you a genuine fans of the Bulldogs? Were you a Central District supporter before the Crows were invented or were you a Crows fan first and foremost.

If it's the latter, then I can at least partly understand your opinion on the whole Reserves Debacle because the Crows would be your club. But if you were a Bulldog fan before the Crows, then I do find it more difficult to understand how you could find the current situation anything other than a disgrace and a proverbial knife to the heart of the SANFL.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 11:02 am

I was 6 years old when the crows entered the competition so I have never known a non afl footy environment in sa. However I am a crows fan first and foremost. I am a crows member.

I have however been a centrals supporter for the same length of time, and my cousin actually captained the club for a short period of time.

I will never be anything other than a centrals supporter though which is why it felt so unnatural going to the centrals vs crows game. It didn't feel right. Made me apathetic to the fortunes of either team in that game really.

I am still of the opinion that most on here are massively overreacting, but it has definitely had a detrimental effect on the sanfl, no doubt.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri May 30, 2014 11:12 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Getting the thread back on track.

The fundamental cornerstone that makes a club what it is, is that the club itself dient change. Unfortunately I don't think that stands true for Port Adelaide FC

You state that in all clubs directors, coaches and players change, yet the club remains the same. Then you say this year the club has,in essence, changed, because the players have. Yes?

I've been a life long Port supporter, with 3 generations before me the same and I, at no point on this debate ( and TRB might still be looking ) have I said this is a good thing that has happened. I've only been to two Magpies games this year, solemn, passionless affairs that they were too.

No doubt things have changed for ever more, they'll most likely change every year from now on so like many people on here my interest in the SANFL has diminished.

It's a 5 minute walk to Alberton Oval for me but it doesn't seem the same anymore. Having said that, if a team wearing black and white prision bars is running around the SANFL grounds in action, well they're my team for better or worse and I'll support them. I simply cannot fathom not supporting them out of protest for the decisions others have made and I sure as hell wouldn't be seen dead barracking for any other team. I support two other SANFL clubs with basic memberships as I think they need all the help they can get. But I am, we are, Port Adelaide. It's in my blood.

No. I said that in essence Port Adelaide changed the day Port Adelaide Power was born.
When I was a kid they were Port Adelaide, The Magpies. They weren't the Port Adelaide Magpies (PAM) or any other bullshit name. And I hated them with a passion, mostly because I was jealous of what they had achieved and who they were, and partly because my team North Adelaide had some mighty battles with them. Especially in '71 and '72 ;) . These days I couldn't give a shit about them because I personally don't see them as 'The' Port Adelaide.
I don't know whether you were a Port fan before the Power but reading your comments I'd guess you were and I'd guess you are also sad at what has happened to your club and the SANFL?
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 am

Yes John, been a passionate, proud paid up member since I was delivered into this mortal coil in '75. My formative years from the late 80's to mid-90's blessed me and all other Port Adelaide fans with some pretty good times, as did the early 2000's ( and I hope the near future).

Am I sad at what has happened to my club? Yes, and no. Clearly times have changed and so has Port Adelaide. I will always be very passionate about anything Port Adelaide is associated with, we could become world marbles champions and I'd probably be there to buy the t-shirt! :lol:

As I noted above, Magpie games have been pretty benign affairs this year and I do wonder what my dearly departed Grandfather and my much loved and departed Great Aunt would think of the current day happenings, but then I think you know what, things change and the people of the time make of it what they make of it. ( I can image my Grandfather trying to get his head around the "internet" ).

Am I sad at what has happened to the SANFL? Yes, and no. Yes because it isn't what is used to be, but no because times change and evolution of all things can't be controlled or limited. It is what it is. I'm sad that Port won't whallop North or Glenelg at Footy Park in late September anymore, but that was that time and this is now. My Mum might lament not seeing Port beat Sturt in front of 60,000 at Adelaide Oval again, but she was there and that was then and this is now.

I completely understand why so many are so angered by what has happened, but on the other hand I don't truly believe that enough people made enough noise at the time to truly influence the decision. Some admirable "sit ins" at Woodville Oval with some A3 cardboard or a printed banner are, in essence, small fry compared to the riches the clubs were offered.

Again, money talks and it's never been louder in the ears of SANFL club boards than in 2014. They didn't need $40,000 desperately in 1989.... ;) but that was then and this is now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 am

Booney wins thread
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 am

If you think there were clubs that didn't need $40k in 1989, you'd probably need to look back in history. Even the Maggies were struggling financially in the 80s (when Russell was coaching?). Heck, the VFL evolved into what it is today because clubs were in financial strife.

As for $40k, our clubs sold out for a pittance. $40k is not going to solve the problems of those clubs in financial strife. Clubs will always be and always have been in strife - then and now. But they will keep going on and then it will be another club's turn to face financial stress. That's the way it's always been - then and now.

The financial dividends to go to the clubs are being over played when discussing the reasons for what has occurred. There was self-interest and pressure to do as the big boys, for the 'bigger picture', asked - for mine, these were the main reasons clubs caved.

From what I can gather, of the clubs that held meetings to discuss the issue, their boards went against the wishes of the supporters of their club anyway, so a greater noise than "sit ins at Woodville Oval" or a "printed banner" wouldn't have done anything. Furthermore, there is no way that the SANFL fans could compete against the sheer noise, media or fan base, made by those with an investment in the AFL clubs.

I won't, as stated earlier, tell you what your club is, I won't even call you Warfie Scum, but to think we, as fans, could've stopped what was preordained is hard to stomach.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri May 30, 2014 11:59 am

Dogwatcher wrote:If you think there were clubs that didn't need $40k in 1989, you'd probably need to look back in history. Even the Maggies were struggling financially in the 80s (when Russell was coaching?). Heck, the VFL evolved into what it is today because clubs were in financial strife.

As for $40k, our clubs sold out for a pittance. $40k is not going to solve the problems of those clubs in financial strife. Clubs will always be and always have been in strife - then and now. But they will keep going on and then it will be another club's turn to face financial stress. That's the way it's always been - then and now.

The financial dividends to go to the clubs are being over played when discussing the reasons for what has occurred. There was self-interest and pressure to do as the big boys, for the 'bigger picture', asked - for mine, these were the main reasons clubs caved.

From what I can gather, of the clubs that held meetings to discuss the issue, their boards went against the wishes of the supporters of their club anyway, so a greater noise than "sit ins at Woodville Oval" or a "printed banner" wouldn't have done anything. Furthermore, there is no way that the SANFL fans could compete against the sheer noise, media or fan base, made by those with an investment in the AFL clubs.

I won't, as stated earlier, tell you what your club is, I won't even call you Warfie Scum, but to think we, as fans, could've stopped what was preordained is hard to stomach.

There's no doubt clubs have always struggled financially, but there is no doubt that none of the clubs ever thought in 1989 that there demise was a possibility. They now know that it is a stark reality. They also know the best way to avoid such a disaster is to not bite the hand that ultimately feeds them and that, sadly, isn't the members or supporters. It's the SANFL circa 1980's and now the SANFL as a subservient slave to the AFL circa 2014.

Don't for one minute think promises of all you can eat's and drinks in the members at AO didn't sway the odd self serving president or board member either.

And yes, what was in all reality a preordained matter is not one that I'm going to lose sleep over. If I could do nothing about it in the first place, why would I spend time being angered by it now? For mine it's the reality of the situation and little 'ol me wasn't gonna stop it. I'm not happy about it, I don't agree with it.....but where to now?

You can give it away, some have. You can go support someone else. Some have. You can try and make the most of whats left. I am.

Life's too short for me to spend time getting cranky over it. I'm married with kids, work full time and have plenty of other commitments, I've got plenty of cranky pills to swallow as it is!! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Fri May 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Booney wrote:There's no doubt clubs have always struggled financially, but there is no doubt that none of the clubs ever thought in 1989 that there demise was a possibility.

Two clubs did - they merged after the following season. Torrens in particular were in a financial disaster.

Yet there is no way that club, which Kurt Slaven claims to have been part of, would have taken one up the arse from the VFL for $40k, or even $40m.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL