The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 pm

RB wrote:I always said that the best place for them is the SANFL Reserves competition. Nobody gives a stuff about the Reserves, and the SANFL League competition would be pure.

Still can't see why this was never/isn't being considered...

When Chiggy fielded questions at the GFC's information night, the question was asked "why would you not initially place the Crows in our reserve ranks to see how it works out first". His verbatim reply was "The Crows don't want that."

There you have it. It was never considered because the Crows didn't want it. Never mind what the SANFL members might have wanted.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1562 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby LPH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:18 pm

AFL-SA wrote:The AFL sides won't leave and AFL-SA won't entertain removing them, a compromise is the only way forward.

Hint: pressure you clubs along these lines, it's the only chance of (limited) success, think of what would satisfy AFL-SA, the AFL clubs and the SANFL clubs, this is the Holy Grail.

A simple solution staring everyone in the face is to just change one thing, the AFL sides do not receive premiership points.

So what you are suggesting is;
The Semi-Pros play to 'the line' & the Pros don't.
This will increase attendances, revenue & quality of the product?
All the while, adding Integrity & removing Compromise from the Competition.

You're an 'Ideas Man' :roll:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Is the Central/Norwood game this week really starting at 12.10pm?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2328 times
Been liked: 3528 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Good luck getting the ammos to start 5 weeks earlier just so they can have 5 byes throughout the season. No person in their right mind would even remotely think that a comp would consider this to satisfy 2 teams out of 10. How did the rest of the SANFL clubs approve this or did they just get told thats how its going to be?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:Is the Central/Norwood game this week really starting at 12.10pm?

Thats the now traditional timeslot for this match up :roll:
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Yep, Ressies at 9:25am. That $50 a game for playing Ressies is real attractive isn't it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Yep, Ressies at 9:25am. That $50 a game for playing Ressies is real attractive isn't it

Gotta love having to be at the ground at 8:25am as a player!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Same thing happened last year between these 2 at Elizabeth with this timeslot
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11861 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby AFL-SA » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 am

Pseudo wrote:
RB wrote:I always said that the best place for them is the SANFL Reserves competition. Nobody gives a stuff about the Reserves, and the SANFL League competition would be pure.

When Chiggy fielded questions at the GFC's information night, the question was asked "why would you not initially place the Crows in our reserve ranks to see how it works out first". His verbatim reply was "The Crows don't want that."

There you have it. It was never considered because the Crows didn't want it. Never mind what the SANFL members might have wanted.

Wasn't the President recently re-elected unopposed? Perhaps the things you get worked up about are inconsequential to the membership base.

Or perhaps you're all wind and hot air and haven't bothered to do anything other than to flap your arms around in here where no-one of consequence bothers to notice?
AFL-SA
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:41 am

I think AFL-SA posted under a different name until recently...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5492 times
Been liked: 5136 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:48 am

Spargo wrote:I think AFL-SA posted under a different name until recently...

Dog_ger2's grammar and sentence structure has improved markedly in a very short space of time.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:08 am

AFL-SA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Wasn't the President recently re-elected unopposed? Perhaps the things you get worked up about are inconsequential to the membership base.

Or perhaps you're all wind and hot air and haven't bothered to do anything other than to flap your arms around in here where no-one of consequence bothers to notice?

But why would Pseudo (or anyone for that matter) bother if your omniscient knowledge from the corridors of SA football power suggests that any resistance to the AFL sides is futile? With this post you've shown you're here simply to rub salt into our wounds.

You might think we're tilting at windmills on this issue, but we're allowed to be p!ssed off (at the SANFL or AFL clubs) and here is where we choose to ventilate. That's what people do when your representatives don't bother to listen to you. I'm not sure what you're contributing to this discussion, perhaps something between smug satisfaction, a questionable superiority complex, and a dash of trolling for good measure?

Back under your rock. I'd ask you to give Rob Chapman some 'wind and hot air' for me, but I'm sure he still got it in spades.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:42 am

RB wrote:
another grub wrote:The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).
Joining the Amo's would be a joke standard wise and it wouldn't be viable to join the VFL $$$ wise.
We just have to put up with it as I think it is here to stay unless there is a national reserves comp set up with all AFL reserves.

I always said that the best place for them is the SANFL Reserves competition. Nobody gives a stuff about the Reserves, and the SANFL League competition would be pure.

Nah, it has to be the SANFL league or the Ammos. Can't be anything else and if it's the Ammos the TV coverage will go with them even though it's the SANFL that pays the $m+ for the coverage. If it was going to stay it would stay with whoever pays it regardless of what frigging league they are in and in this case it would be the SANFL. Can't see the Ammos stumping up $1m to get TV coverage for the two reserve outfits.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 am

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Report time is probably earlier than that, more like 7.50.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10354 times
Been liked: 1521 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

Timing of the posts interesting too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:26 am

JK wrote:

Timing of the posts interesting too

Definite pattern ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5492 times
Been liked: 5136 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby scott » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:49 am

To enable the match to be broadcast on Seven's main channel prior to the AFL match (Adel-Freo, which has been delayed 90 mins to fit it all in nicely), rather than being put on 7mate to rival the coverage.

SANFL matches that are shown on Seven's main channel fetched almost 40,000 viewers on average per game last season, while the 7mate channel had an average of just over 13,000 obviously due to the limited broadcast on the digital station and it's on that channel rivalling AFL coverage.

It's certainly not ideal but I do like that at least in this instance (though probably to the detriment of the CDFC gate-takings) the SANFL/Seven are attempting to reach the maximum TV audience possible for the match. It's a shame the SANFL fall down in so many other areas of advertising though.

While on that, the VFL's average television audience last year was 49,000, which if that's scaled down to compare to SA's population, equates to a 23,800 comparison and obviously lower than our audience. And EVERY match in the VFL is shown on SEVEN's main channel, at the expense of these games having to be moved to 11:30am on Saturdays/Sundays to appease the 2:30pm AFL coverage shown after.

Since the VFL's contract is a little bit different (they telecast more games than there is rounds), I can't see why next year the SANFL can't negotiate an even better deal with SEVEN next contract owing to our significantly better ratings and greater interest in the competition that could see not only at least one match per round telecast unlike now, but marquee games such as ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday shown that ABC-TV once upon a time used to telecast.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 am

scott wrote:

To enable the match to be broadcast on Seven's main channel prior to the AFL match (Adel-Freo, which has been delayed 90 mins to fit it all in nicely), rather than being put on 7mate to rival the coverage.

SANFL matches that are shown on Seven's main channel fetched almost 40,000 viewers on average per game last season, while the 7mate channel had an average of just over 13,000 obviously due to the limited broadcast on the digital station and it's on that channel rivalling AFL coverage.

It's certainly not ideal but I do like that at least in this instance (though probably to the detriment of the CDFC gate-takings) the SANFL/Seven are attempting to reach the maximum TV audience possible for the match. It's a shame the SANFL fall down in so many other areas of advertising though.

While on that, the VFL's average television audience last year was 49,000, which if that's scaled down to compare to SA's population, equates to a 23,800 comparison and obviously lower than our audience. And EVERY match in the VFL is shown on SEVEN's main channel, at the expense of these games having to be moved to 11:30am on Saturdays/Sundays to appease the 2:30pm AFL coverage shown after.

Since the VFL's contract is a little bit different (they telecast more games than there is rounds), I can't see why next year the SANFL can't negotiate an even better deal with SEVEN next contract owing to our significantly better ratings and greater interest in the competition that could see not only at least one match per round telecast unlike now, but marquee games such as ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday shown that ABC-TV once upon a time used to telecast.

There trying to reach maximum tv audience for a tv deal which we pay money to them

So Centrals will once again lose a fair whack of coin on the earlier start, lucky SANFL clubs are travelling so well they can afford to lose money to tv viewers who will more than likely never attend games in the comp anyway
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am

How many people will tune in to the SANFL game when Foxtel coverage is Live with the Crows game at 1:30?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Hazydog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 am

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Now that's what I call kicking the dew off the grass!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL