Good post Aerie
Being proactive is sometimes better than being reactive
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:33 pm

A few of the A1 teams actually play trials against ressies teams in recent times and they have been pretty even affairs. I think they and the top level country teams (not many) would be competitive in the Ressie comp
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Which sanfl ressies side had players as good as Curran or Trengove?
Or Sam Gray from Port Districts?

No way is Port Districts a 10 goal worse side than the bottom sanfl reserves team.

20 years ago there was a big gap but the standard of the sanfl ressies is ordinary at best these days.

It’s why the sanfl ressies should be abolished and sanfl clubs aligned to ammo clubs more closely.
I didn’t say all teams would win by 10 goals, I said most.
I’d be shocked though if Port Districts won more than 1 or 2 games for the season if they played SANFL reserves

Agree over the course of a season it would be tough as the b grade depth to replace a graders would be miles off.

But Port Districts best side versus a genuine bottom placed reserves side wouldn’t be a ten goal thrashing IMO
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:46 pm

Aerie wrote:
Booney wrote:The SANFL History Exhibition at the State Library provides an opportunity to bring SANFL fans together to consider topics of interest today.

Join the SANFL History Committee in a discussion about the current state of the SANFL Football with consideration of the challenges of the future.

The public forum will be hosted by John Halbert, MBE, AM - Magarey Medallist, Premiership player and Captain of Sturt, State Player, SANFL Hall of Fame and AFL Hall of Fame in conversation with Darren Chandler, General Manager of SANFL.

DATE
Wednesday 21 September 2022
TIME
12 to 1pm

Here is my suggestion for when the Power and Crows transition to a full AFL Reserves competition, or join the VFL.

The aim would be for the SANFL competition to be the pinnacle of grass roots football in this State. I believe there is still passion for grass roots football amongst the people, not so much "development" in senior competition.

Firstly, create 6 new junior clubs servicing all regions of Country SA and Metro Adelaide in the mould of the NAB U18 Cup over in Victoria. These are Development Clubs and players will feed through to the AFL and SANFL from here, mainly.

SANFL clubs to have all grades align with SANFL Juniors (i.e. ages 7 to 17).

The SANFL to consist of 8 current clubs and Grand Finalists of Adelaide Footy League Division 1 in first year after Crows and Power exit, keeping a ten team competition.

From each season forward from there, there would be opportunity for every club involved in a "major" competition in SA to reach the SANFL.

The SANFL Grand Final would be shifted back to the October Long Weekend and all Country and Metro competitions would have their Grand Finals on the last weekend in August, allowing the Premiers of each competition/region a chance to play a knockout 4 weeks of football, culminating in a Final on SANFL Grand Final Day to gain promotion to the SANFL.

The SANFL competition would consist of the strongest 10 clubs in the State forever more and in September you'd have not only the Finals of the SANFL, but a Champions League of sorts, as well. That should ensure the Grand Final remains a significant event with Statewide interest.

This 4-week "Champions League" to gain promotion to the SANFL would be the premiers, or best teams, from the following regions and leagues, as well as the bottom placed SANFL team who could keep their place in the SANFL by winning:

1. SANFL Wooden Spooner
2. Adelaide Footy League Div 1 Premier
3. Southern League Premier
4. Great Southern League Premier
5. Hills Div 1 Premier
6. Barossa Light & Gawler Premier
7. Riverland Premier
8. River Murray Premier
9. Adelaide Plains Premier
10. Whyalla Premier
11. Spencer Gulf Premier
12. Yorke Peninsula Premier
13. Western Border Premier
14. Port Lincoln Premier
15. Winner of Mid South East vs KNT
16. Winner of North Eastern vs Northern Areas

The reason we want the AFL sides out is because it compromises the SANFL competition

Why would we compromise our (SAAFL / AdFL) competition?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Vamos » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:45 pm

AdFL is a promotion/relegation competition, the comp wouldn't be compromised for that very fact.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Aerie » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:55 pm

It is a good point DOC makes re the 8 SANFL clubs owning the SANFL. I believe Community Football has a voice as well. We’ve seen what has happened with the VFL/AFL with VFL clubs in charge. The game has grown to ensure survival of the majority of VFL clubs (sorry South Melbourne & Fitzroy) to the detriment of football everywhere else, including the old VFA.

My suggestion is having the 8 SANFL clubs take a step backwards and becoming no more powerful than an Adelaide Footy League Club. The advantage they’d have is an entrenched history, a new beginning in the top competition in the State and whatever financial deal they could make in order to relinquish control to a body that oversees all football in this state.

The way things are going, all I am seeing is a future where our SANFL clubs are the equivalent of the NAB U18 Clubs from Victoria.

This is why I suggest 6 new U18 junior sides becoming “the development”.

The idea of having a Champions League of sorts is to provide opportunity to all regions to make the top level in SA. What if a billionaire in Whyalla decides it would be good for business and good for the region to have a top level football side. They have work that could attract young 20 somethings and help secure a future career at the same time. Or farmers down the South-East decide a club representing their region might keep some young farmers from needing to relocate to chase a football dream and may bring more people to the area. Or Reynella think they could be a better club than South, Nuriootpa could be better than Central, Port District could be better than Woodville-West Torrens?

I would hope this idea would be good for country football in the long run. I am very aware of the plight of smaller towns and football leagues at the moment and would make it priority one to help with the survival of footy in these regions first and foremost.

I understand it’s a bit of a pipe dream, but I see the passion of those Port District supporters storming on to the ground from a packed outer at The Parade, despite the horrific weather. I see the articles and pride in country newspapers of their young sports people climbing their way through higher ranks. I hear on the train in and again at Adel Oval on Sunday from supporters around me that “I don’t really care about the SANFL any more”. Or a few weeks ago, “I go for Norwood, but knew none of their players, so found myself supporting the Crows because I knew their players.”

There is still enough people alive that hold the current SANFL clubs dear to their heart to make a viable competition. But most of these would be over 50.

I say open the SANFL up to all grassroots clubs to have an opportunity to be the best club in the State and thus making the T.S.Hill Trophy even more worthy. Keep SANFL Grand Final Day a big event on the South Australian Sporting Calendar. Don’t reduce our traditional SANFL clubs to purely development. Make the league strong because South Australians love and support football. Have the SANFL clubs take a step back to step forward. Have them back themselves in, that they’ll remain a top flight club in this state due to on field performance. If councils or private business is there to put funds into making a top flight team be a part of the SANFL then welcome this investment. It could in turn be good for local economies and local competitions.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:40 am

whufc wrote:
DoublebluTiger wrote:
Booney wrote:The SANFL History Exhibition at the State Library provides an opportunity to bring SANFL fans together to consider topics of interest today.

Join the SANFL History Committee in a discussion about the current state of the SANFL Football with consideration of the challenges of the future.

The public forum will be hosted by John Halbert, MBE, AM - Magarey Medallist, Premiership player and Captain of Sturt, State Player, SANFL Hall of Fame and AFL Hall of Fame in conversation with Darren Chandler, General Manager of SANFL.

DATE
TIME
12 to 1pm

Lunch hour and retirees crowd only?

Just imagine though if 100 safooty posters took the time to get work off and go down and make their feelings heard.

What a statement that would be despite it being at a time that isn't very suitable.

Funk it, I'm going.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:23 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
DoublebluTiger wrote:

DATE
TIME
12 to 1pm

Lunch hour and retirees crowd only?

Just imagine though if 100 safooty posters took the time to get work off and go down and make their feelings heard.

What a statement that would be despite it being at a time that isn't very suitable.

Funk it, I'm going.

With Eric?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Should have taken Eric,
pretty much a waste of time,
Chandler & Duldig & the lady from Strut think the SANFL is in a great position, TV ratings are up (doesn't get people to go to games though),
it seemed like we pretty much have the AFL in our comp., they are our overlords & we will do whatever they say they want us to do.
I brought up the farcical match at Woodville Oval at 7.40pm, CD v PA, 650 people, crap time etc etc, they just smiled & shrugged.
I told them to raise the salary cap,
they said some clubs won't be able to afford it,
I told them to expect more players to leave the SANFL to play country,
I mentioned admission charges & why can't the clubs drop the admission fee when there's a match when there will be a small crowd, they didn't think this was an issue, the lady from the rich suburbs didn't think it was a big deal,
I told them that from lower socio-economic areas it's a huge issue, they suggested more people need to become members??

We're screwed.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:53 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Should have taken Eric,
Chandler & Duldig & the lady from Strut think the SANFL is in a great position, TV ratings are up (doesn't get people to go to games though),
it seemed like we pretty much have the AFL in our comp., they are our overlords & we will do whatever they say they want us to do.
I brought up the farcical match at Woodville Oval at 7.40pm, CD v PA, 650 people, crap time etc etc, they just smiled & shrugged.
I mentioned admission charges & why can't the clubs drop the admission fee when there's a match when there will be a small crowd, they didn't think this was an issue, the lady from the rich suburbs didn't think it was a big deal,
I told them that from lower socio-economic areas it's a huge issue, they suggested more people need to become members??

We're screwed.

Thanks for having a crack….much respect
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby southee » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:23 pm

We're screwed.

Well done for voicing your opinion ....much respect to you.

I can just imagine the smiles and "political" type answers to any challenging questions.

Just a PR stunt IMO.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:54 pm

Because I mentioned the Barossa a few times, Halbert kept referring to me as Barossa Boy lol

I also said to Chandler................"you said that there's no alternative to having the AFL ressies in the SANFL, we don't care that there's no alternative, we don't want them in the SANFL.............BUT if we MUST have them, then why not have them play for no points?"

Get this, he said, "the competition would lose its integrity."

FFS
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Hazydog » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Full marks for going along and putting your money where your mouth is Gaz. I’m going to use the Royal “we” here suggesting Centrals are still at the forefront of resisting the occupation!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Because I mentioned the Barossa a few times, Halbert kept referring to me as Barossa Boy lol

I also said to Chandler................"you said that there's no alternative to having the AFL ressies in the SANFL, we don't care that there's no alternative, we don't want them in the SANFL.............BUT if we MUST have them, then why not have them play for no points?"

Get this, he said, "the competition would lose its integrity."

FFS

Well done for going. They have no idea. They didn't want to listen to members pre-entry of the AFL teams, so I assumed it would be a waste of time or they'd be admitting they were wrong. Like I've said before, I wish my club voted yes, then I could be done with this rubbish comp.

P.S "rubbish comp" whilst AFL reserves are present, and it has no integrity.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:27 pm

On the "Fans of SANFL" facebook page, there's an opportunity to fill out a survey relating to the SANFL. An opportunity to raise some concerns and tell them how it is. Sorry couldn't post link.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:56 pm

Thanks for the summary Gaz. Frustrating but not surprising.

Would have made the effort to attend had I been in office today and not working at home. Will have a go at the survey and see if a few concerns can be voiced through there.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 am

Dogs64 wrote:On the "Fans of SANFL" facebook page, there's an opportunity to fill out a survey relating to the SANFL. An opportunity to raise some concerns and tell them how it is. Sorry couldn't post link.

https://survey.edentify.com.au/surveys/mintro?fid=5kkkn36r&sett=13uk6uknu&fbclid=IwAR1Zs3fr-SWFPuOeIS0aK-Rq_gCI40vqVkrBu3JyFPxJbgrPPJ6mVt_CaRc

You get to describe various sports organisations including SANFL, AFL, SACA etc in your own words either positive or negative or otherwise.

You get to rate SANFL among other organisations on various things inclusivity, equality, integrity, authenticity etc

Perhaps I was a bit too honest or negative because it dropped out half way through after I said some disparaging remarks about the SACA :lol:
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:04 pm

We're screwed.

Pretty much what I expected
Dont for get that it was Chandler that hiked up the admission cost by ~50% a few years ago, on the basis that they were undervaluing their worth, and the crowds plummeted. He didn't give a toss then and doesn't now
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:41 pm

Well done Gazza.

They have put all their eggs in the AFL basket.

That is, the SANFL gets money via SMA/Adelaide Oval and AFL being well attended.

The players play SANFL if they want a chance to play AFL.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:50 pm

DoublebluTiger wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:On the "Fans of SANFL" facebook page, there's an opportunity to fill out a survey relating to the SANFL. An opportunity to raise some concerns and tell them how it is. Sorry couldn't post link.

https://survey.edentify.com.au/surveys/mintro?fid=5kkkn36r&sett=13uk6uknu&fbclid=IwAR1Zs3fr-SWFPuOeIS0aK-Rq_gCI40vqVkrBu3JyFPxJbgrPPJ6mVt_CaRc

You get to describe various sports organisations including SANFL, AFL, SACA etc in your own words either positive or negative or otherwise.

You get to rate SANFL among other organisations on various things inclusivity, equality, integrity, authenticity etc

Perhaps I was a bit too honest or negative because it dropped out half way through after I said some disparaging remarks about the SACA :lol:

Survey done
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL