The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RB » Wed May 10, 2017 7:58 pm

morell wrote:That the thing, The Port Adelaide Football Club are surviving, thriving and playing in the AFL.

I've always thought that 'club' is an odd word to describe a pretty artificial franchise that was only incorporated in 1996, but I'm glad it's working out for you.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Fair enough Morrell, I can understand it is a case of each to their own. The one thing I cannot abide by though is the Power's (and the Crows' for that matter) need to completely bastardise the whole of the SANFL comp, just to find a convenient place to field a reserves side, which is getting back to the question that is being asked: Is it sad what has happened to the Magpies? I mean all the things you describe about the Power match day experience must be great for Power supporters. You can have all that WITHOUT taking a dump on the SANFL.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 pm

morell wrote: I would never go to a game such is my loathing of the SANFL and the clubs therein. If they no longer existed and we had an AFL reserves Comp instead I probably wouldn't lose much sleep.

The same SANFL (and 8 sovereign clubs) who bailed Port out numerous times to the tune of many millions that we'll never see back.
Stick to the ammos board, you're mildly amusing over there.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 am

morell wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Even if what you say is true, the SANFL once held the emotions, dreams, imagination and vivacity of tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That the most successful member, the Magpies, is now nothing more than a reserves side, is a sad development regardless of how you view it personally, there is a bigger picture here.
It might be a sad picture for the people left clinging onto nostalgia, but I would say to those people, stop looking at the cocoon the grub left and focus on the Morpho Didius that emerged. When I see 50k Port supporters at Adelaide Oval, I am not thinking how sad it is that we're not singing Cheer Cheer the Black and the White, I am thinking how awesome it is that we're singing Never Tear Us Apart.

Yes, as a Port fan, I am lucky (or vindicated?) and I understand the difficulty that must come with supporting a traditional side in the SANFL. Its just that it does not apply to Port. For obvious reasons.

therisingblues wrote:If you think the circumstances are okay I would question just how invested you are in the AFL? If it is not sad when that competition is thrown away for the next flavour of the masses, then I seriously question if that competition is devoid of the afore mentioned qualities that attracted people like myself to the SANFL.
I've been a member and go to as many games as I can. Not sure how more invested I can be. I wear a scarf and beanie, does that count?

Those qualities are still there. They're just in a different competition. I was never an "SANFL fan" I am a Port fan. I am not an "AFL fan" I am a Port fan. Perhaps a different mindset Port fans have opposed to others.

therisingblues wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you enjoy watching the Magpies just as much now that they are a reserves outfit, as opposed to when they were a stand alone team?

Without knowing what answer you are going to give to the above question, when did your attendance at Magpie games drop off? Was it when they became a clone or when the Power joined the AFL, or are you one of the young people who were more or less raised a Power supporter?
I had next to no interest in the Magpies post 1997. I mean, I was glad if they won, but I wasn't an active supporter. I started supporting Port in the late 80s as a wee tacker. The club had moved to the AFL and the Magpies were just a historical placeholder/SANFL cash cow forced upon us. I am now much more interested thanks to the One Club merger and all the Power players being there - but I would never go to a game such is my loathing of the SANFL and the clubs therein. If they no longer existed and we had an AFL reserves Comp instead I probably wouldn't lose much sleep.

That the thing, The Port Adelaide Football Club are surviving, thriving and playing in the AFL. We've moved on. I feel for those that haven't.

Thank god someone was there to bail you out when you were a basket case and not "thriving" quite so much. Oh hang on a minute..........
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am

morell wrote:When I see 50k Port supporters at Adelaide Oval, I am not thinking how sad it is that we're not singing Cheer Cheer the Black and the White, I am thinking how awesome it is that we're singing Never Tear Us Apart.

Really? I would've thought you'd be proud to be singing the club song that represents Port at the highest level, not a pop song written by a couple of minstrels from Perth.

By the way, can a Portie please explain the significance of 'Never Tear Us Apart'? What in particular is the thing that is never to be torn apart?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:19 am

morell wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Yes it is sad.
No its not. The vast majority of Port fans are pretty happy where the club is at. Playing on the national stage. Tens of thousands of members, tens of thousands attend game days, multi million dollar sponsorships etc

therisingblues wrote:There are plenty of Magpie folk who do not attend anymore because they do not want to see these AFL body snatchers dancing around in the skin of the club that they have loved all their lives, and they really had no way to avoid the situation.
No there isn't. Very few of these types remain.

That's why it has more than a tinge of sadness associated with it.

It's not a cock measuring exercise, but you won't find any family more Port Adelaide than mine. From my two grand fathers working on ketches out of the Port, my old man being a wharfie, to me now living in Alberton, we are, in every sense, Port Adelaide.....but there's an undeniable fact that the day the Magpies became the home of the Port Adelaide AFL listed players was a sad day. I cried. Not too proud to admit it either, that day at Glenelg Oval, of all ******* places. My old t-shirt "We exist to win premierships" is not true, not any more.

It is, however, the by product of being able to go to AO with 50,000 other people and support our club on the national stage. It's the by product of me being there with my 8 year old son and 60 year old mother in 2004 to see the PAFC win the biggest prize in Australian domestic sport. Those toothless battlers from the Port, beating the best of the best on the national stage. Unbelievable. To be there in 2007 when it was "history in the making". Equally as unbelievable.

It humors me when people on here say "Port have had their cake and eat it too"..."They want it both ways"........ pretty sure they're over looking the fact that the cockle diver within me, and many people like me, died a little in 2013, wouldn't have cried if it didn't. Not sure that I've got it "both ways".*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 am

Magellan wrote:
morell wrote:When I see 50k Port supporters at Adelaide Oval, I am not thinking how sad it is that we're not singing Cheer Cheer the Black and the White, I am thinking how awesome it is that we're singing Never Tear Us Apart.

Really? I would've thought you'd be proud to be singing the club song that represents Port at the highest level, not a pop song written by a couple of minstrels from Perth.

By the way, can a Portie please explain the significance of 'Never Tear Us Apart'? What in particular is the thing that is never to be torn apart?

When the SANFL forced the Magpies to move to Ethelton. It tore the supporter base apart. The "reunification" / One Club has, without question, healed some old internal wounds. There's Port people at SANFL games that I hadn't seen for years and, most telling, many of the older players that were banished to Ethelton as part of the SANFL directives are back around the club. You really needed it explained to you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu May 11, 2017 9:31 am

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
No its not. The vast majority of Port fans are pretty happy where the club is at. Playing on the national stage. Tens of thousands of members, tens of thousands attend game days, multi million dollar sponsorships etc

therisingblues wrote:There are plenty of Magpie folk who do not attend anymore because they do not want to see these AFL body snatchers dancing around in the skin of the club that they have loved all their lives, and they really had no way to avoid the situation.

It's not a cock measuring exercise, but you won't find any family more Port Adelaide than mine. From my two grand fathers working on ketches out of the Port, my old man being a wharfie, to me now living in Alberton, we are, in every sense, Port Adelaide.....but there's an undeniable fact that the day the Magpies became the home of the Port Adelaide AFL listed players was a sad day. I cried. Not too proud to admit it either, that day at Glenelg Oval, of all ******* places. My old t-shirt "We exist to win premierships" is not true, not any more.

It is, however, the by product of being able to go to AO with 50,000 other people and support our club on the national stage. It's the by product of me being there with my 8 year old son and 60 year old mother in 2004 to see the PAFC win the biggest prize in Australian domestic sport. Those toothless battlers from the Port, beating the best of the best on the national stage. Unbelievable. To be there in 2007 when it was "history in the making". Equally as unbelievable.

It humors me when people on here say "Port have had their cake and eat it too"..."They want it both ways"........ pretty sure they're over looking the fact that the cockle diver within me, and many people like me, died a little in 2013, wouldn't have cried if it didn't. Not sure that I've got it "both ways".*

I think most fair minded people would greatly appreciate this post, I know I can.
It's the attitude of other Port supporters on here (past & present) who have so many people angry & upset.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

When the SANFL forced the Magpies to move to Ethelton. It tore the supporter base apart. The "reunification" / One Club has, without question, healed some old internal wounds. There's Port people at SANFL games that I hadn't seen for years and, most telling, many of the older players that were banished to Ethelton as part of the SANFL directives are back around the club. You really needed it explained to you?

Just wanted to hear an explanation from an authoritative source, that's all.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 am

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Then you'll need a second opinion. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:When the SANFL forced the Magpies to move to Ethelton. It tore the supporter base apart. The "reunification" / One Club has, without question, healed some old internal wounds. There's Port people at SANFL games that I hadn't seen for years and, most telling, many of the older players that were banished to Ethelton as part of the SANFL directives are back around the club. You really needed it explained to you?

Well that doesn't help me. When I call Keith Thomas' mobile it keeps going straight to voicemail, and when I ring Alberton there's a bloke in gruff voice who keeps telling me that 'Dave's not here, man' and not to bother calling the SANFL because everyone's at a staff barbecue.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 am

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:When the SANFL forced the Magpies to move to Ethelton. It tore the supporter base apart. The "reunification" / One Club has, without question, healed some old internal wounds. There's Port people at SANFL games that I hadn't seen for years and, most telling, many of the older players that were banished to Ethelton as part of the SANFL directives are back around the club. You really needed it explained to you?

Well that doesn't help me. When I call Keith Thomas' mobile it keeps going straight to voicemail, and when I ring Alberton there's a bloke in gruff voice who keeps telling me that 'Dave's not here, man' and not to bother calling the SANFL because everyone's at a staff barbecue.

:lol: Anytime a Cheech and Chong reference is made.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

RB wrote:
morell wrote:That the thing, The Port Adelaide Football Club are surviving, thriving and playing in the AFL.

I've always thought that 'club' is an odd word to describe a pretty artificial franchise that was only incorporated in 1996, but I'm glad it's working out for you.

You follow the Woodville West Torrens Pecker Warrior Eagles, don't you, RB?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote: I would never go to a game such is my loathing of the SANFL and the clubs therein. If they no longer existed and we had an AFL reserves Comp instead I probably wouldn't lose much sleep.

The same SANFL (and 8 sovereign clubs) who bailed Port out numerous times to the tune of many millions that we'll never see back.
Stick to the ammos board, you're mildly amusing over there.

He certainly doesn't speak on behalf of yours truly, nor of many, many Port Adelaide people that I know.

I had too much fun beating up on the Bays when it mattered, hearing Craig Burton say he always wanted to be the leading goal kicker in a grand final, or watching the fierce battles between Norwood and Port over the years, or indeed beating up on Centrals as they cut their teeth as a powerhouse club of the future in the mid 90's. Wouldn't have been nearly half the fun playing with ourselves. I'd been doing that for years, when I introduced another "team" into the game, gee whiz, didn't it get better! ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:Just wanted to hear an explanation from an authoritative source, that's all.

:lol: Anytime a Cheech and Chong reference is made.....

Well, I did ask to speak with David Granger. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 10:33 am

Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 am

morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

Sure. Just hand your license back.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 10:39 am

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:

Well put. Port Adelaide have always been about striving to be the best - since the 50s anyway, but we couldn't do that in the SANFL. We still exist to win premierships. The Creed is still relevant. It's just in a different competition.

So yes, the old dyed in the wool Port fans that lived in and around the area and had familial connections to place - I understand you and yours would view some of the things we've done with a tinge of sadness, but we had to progress into a something bigger and better. That means leaving behind some legacy.

I don't see that as sad, in the same way I don't see delisting old players as sad, rather, I am appreciative and respect it, but we have to move on for the betterment of the club.

I would certainly rather be Port Adelaide, playing the AFL and have to give up some dearly held traditions, than be say, an also ran SANFL club struggling to survive in a defunct competition competing against reserves.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 am

Pseudo wrote:
morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

... and the gameday revenue from Adelaide Oval the SANFL get as part of the SMA? Do we calculate that too or nah?

You blokes all focus on one line item rather than the bottom of the balance sheet.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Pseudo wrote:

I look forward to the hundreds of pages of posts relating to Adelaide living rent free at West Lakes for nearly 30 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL