SANFL MRP News & Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL MRP News & Discussions

Postby tnt » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 am

In isolation , 2 games was about right but seeing he just come back from a suspension in which Nick Pedro was concussed and still hasn't been able to make it back on the park due to the incident makes it look light on.
tnt
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:29 pm

I think they considered that it wasn't a full on fist to the head but a late coat hanger, a rough one at that.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Doddy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 pm

whybother wrote:I think that the process is the wrong way around. First should be intent, then an additional penalty based on injury to opponent. Off the play and behind the play are clearly intentional, and deserve a fixed penalty. Maybe the additional penalty is based on the amount of time the opponent is out of the game: sort of an eye-for-an-eye type of thing. This type of play should be minimised before it happens in an attempt to eradicate it, and not merely punished after it happens.

If you are going to keep contending that this incident was behind the play, then you are saying that the shepherd was not within 5m, so that becomes not a sheperd but the instigation of an off the play incident itself. Ergo, Hoskins "got sloppy while defending himself from this attack". Which is bollocks of course.

Taking that out, the rest of your discourse seems sound to me. I've always thought that to change behaviour, you punish intent. Attempted striking should be equivalent to striking as a base charge, and maybe load some for damage caused where they connected.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am

Given Williams was able to play the next week and only missed the dying minutes of the game he got hit, 2 weeks is probably ok for Hoskin. Fortunately it wasn't a worse outcome for every one as it was an ugly incident not needed in footy.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL