Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm

RustyCage wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
RustyCage wrote:
Dutchy wrote:The competition is a farce, as many predicted.

Last week showed that comment is crap.

Why is that? its reality to many people, crowds and interest in the comp is down from last year.

The margin in no way reflects what Port will do to teams this year just because of how bad Glenelg were.

Yes, I have to agree with that.

I've seen some insipid performances over 40 odd years but that was up there with the worst.

I don't believe much should be taken from the AFL aspect. Sure, Port played well and all dues to them, but the Bays were utterly disgraceful.

The season is well and truly shot after round 2.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby clanger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 pm

so with Glenelg putting in one of the clubs worst performance of all time South will have their shortest price tag as favorites for the last 20-25yrs.
clanger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby LPH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:27 pm

dedja wrote:
Yes, I have to agree with that.

I've seen some insipid performances over 40 odd years but that was up there with the worst.

I don't believe much should be taken from the AFL aspect. Sure, Port played well and all dues to them, but the Bays were utterly disgraceful.

The season is well and truly shot after round 2.

Surely not dedja?
Bit early for that, isn't it?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby frogcake » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Perhaps we should see this as a good dose of karma.

For years we sat back and laughed at Port Adelaide while all their money went to propping up our beloved SANFL clubs. Now we have become so dependent on that money that Port (and Adelaide) have the SANFL teams at their mercy.
frogcake
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times

Postby StrayDog » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Macca19 wrote:Every team would have beat them by 100 today. They were that bad.

Being beaten 100 points would have been a considerably more desirable.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby tkr » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:05 pm

frogcake wrote:Perhaps we should see this as a good dose of karma.

For years we sat back and laughed at Port Adelaide while all their money went to propping up our beloved SANFL clubs. Now we have become so dependent on that money that Port (and Adelaide) have the SANFL teams at their mercy.

Wrong!!!

The karma is for the 6 SANFL teams that voted for the AFL reserves to play in the SANFL!
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:11 pm

RB wrote:
the observer wrote:The bays have been RIP since their main side the crows went in .Dont blame the current set up
They did finish top in 2008 and 2009 and second only on percentage the following year.
..and out in straight sets- both years :lol:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby UK Fan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:
RB wrote:
the observer wrote:The bays have been RIP since their main side the crows went in .Dont blame the current set up
They did finish top in 2008 and 2009 and second only on percentage the following year.

Bays Played in a GF in 2008
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:
RB wrote:

Lost the GF in '08, must've won a final in there somewhere. Appreciate the usual intelligent contribution though, punky.
As for today, oh boy. Yuck.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby tkr » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:21 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:
RB wrote:

oops! :oops: :oops:
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Macca19 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm

People can complain that that result was due to the Magpies being an AFL reserves team but I really don't think it had anything to do with it at all. That's up there with that Geelong v Melbourne match a couple of years back as being the most uncompetitive ive ever seen a football side at any level ive watched.

No system, no structure, certainly no leadership, no midfield pressure, no forward line, no helping out in defence. To start like that? Horrible. They had 10 minutes of good play in the 2nd quarter when Port lost three players to injury in the space of 90 seconds and couldn't make any interchanges for 15 minutes. But after that, they had completely given up by halfway through the 3rd quarter.

If Glenelg the club, its supporters, or other supporters want to blame that margin on Port being a reserves side, then go ahead. But, its a complete and utter copout and hiding the fact that Glenelg really were that bad.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby sjt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Does Nick Stevens feel he owes the power something, for the way he left. :)
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Macca19 wrote:People can complain that that result was due to the Magpies being an AFL reserves team but I really don't think it had anything to do with it at all. That's up there with that Geelong v Melbourne match a couple of years back as being the most uncompetitive ive ever seen a football side at any level ive watched.

No system, no structure, certainly no leadership, no midfield pressure, no forward line, no helping out in defence. To start like that? Horrible. They had 10 minutes of good play in the 2nd quarter when Port lost three players to injury in the space of 90 seconds and couldn't make any interchanges for 15 minutes. But after that, they had completely given up by halfway through the 3rd quarter.

If Glenelg the club, its supporters, or other supporters want to blame that margin on Port being a reserves side, then go ahead. But, its a complete and utter copout and hiding the fact that Glenelg really were that bad.

Stevens under pressure to get results? Can't believe that they are this bad given their list of AFL experienced ins.

Might be a Good Friday massacre this week then. Extremely tough to back it up with a 5 day break, poor form and a rampant opposition looking to stamp its authority on the competition and make a massive statement on its home ground.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Macca19 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Thorp was horrendous. Clurey ran off him all day and provided little up forward. Alleway was getting frustrated and spent the second half trying to pick people off behind the play. Jolly did nothing. Joseph was just about the only mid trying to create and have a run. Lonergan, meh.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 pm

sjt wrote:Does Nick Stevens feel he owes the power something, for the way he left. :)

No, he's being groomed for the soon to be vacant Carlton job.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby StrayDog » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Macca19 wrote:People can complain that that result was due to the Magpies being an AFL reserves team but I really don't think it had anything to do with it at all. That's up there with that Geelong v Melbourne match a couple of years back as being the most uncompetitive ive ever seen a football side at any level ive watched.

I think it's far too early to tell what effect the current structure will have. Later in the season? Maybe. Three to five years and the trends, if any, become much less disputable.

Wouldn't be too many seasons where sides have been so demoralised, so insipid, this early in the piece. The good folk down at Brighton Road and their long suffering faithful shouldn't be the only ones hoping this isn't a sign of things to come for Glenelg.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm

A typical Glenelg response by many . I wish they'd comment about the game when they lose.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby passionatelegsfan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 pm

So the port power reserves get hammered by an undermanned norwood who in turn cop a flogging from centrals at elizabeth. This would inducate that the norwood side that beat port power reserves last week is not that strong at present. So what does that say about the bays after copping todays hammering? On another note i think that 8 teams is not enough. I think torrens and woodville should unmerge and they bring up a side from amateur league.
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby scott » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:14 pm

First to bite wins a bike.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby jim5112 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:07 am

UK Fan wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:
RB wrote:

... the point is still substantially correct -- Glenelg did NOT finish 1st in 2008/2009 or 2nd in 2010.

They did win ONE finals match in a row and kept their pants in 2008.
jim5112
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL