Reallocation of boundaries

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:01 pm

cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:I am pretty sure that you are correct with Norwood getting Ports old Eyre Peninsula zone. Will be a bit harder for them to work than their current "country" zone. They are not happy about it, but will now realise what we've had to do in Riverland and Bays down in South East as well as clubs like Eagles and North.

Ive only spoken to the one person at the NFC but they didn't give the impression of being upset about it at all.

Same, seemed to be looking forward to the challenge. Obviously will be a shame to lose our Hills area which has been quite fruitful but im sure with some hard work we can make the Eyre Peninsula a successful recruiting area

Who's that going to Jim.

Does anyone have a link to the new boundaries for next year. It's only been 2 years since the last reallocation.

Was told Sturt
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Who's that going to Jim.

Does anyone have a link to the new boundaries for next year. It's only been 2 years since the last reallocation.

Was told Sturt

Yep same here
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Sorry for the ignorance but I have been living in wa now for 3 years ... by this rezoning does this mean port will have no colts sides next year or are they being phased out ? Jimo5 when I played in the hills it was covered by 3 clubs ( Norwood , Sturt and South ) My understanding was Norwood would of had Uradlia , Kersbrook , Lobethal , Gumeracha , Birdwood and torrens valley and maybe onkas and hahndorf ? All northern side of the freeway ? Some very handy players to come out of there will be a big loss for the legs !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:29 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:Some very handy players to come out of there will be a big loss for the legs !

That will be offset by Norwood's new zone.

What happens to the kids from the country already at Port in the under 18's? I know of one currently playing for SA in the national championships and I'm certain he is not eligible for this years draft meaning he still has 1 season left in the 18's.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:37 pm

heater31 wrote:
the wonder elephant wrote:Some very handy players to come out of there will be a big loss for the legs !

What happens to the kids from the country already at Port in the under 18's? I know of one currently playing for SA in the national championships and I'm certain he is not eligible for this years draft meaning he still has 1 season left in the 18's.

Surley then there colts / jrs to be phased out then ?
had to put up playing colts footy against the james boys ( never fun on the old kersbrook oval picking up rocks :D and Scotty Burns just to name a few !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:38 pm

heater31 wrote:

Surley then there colts / jrs to be phased out then ?
had to put up playing colts footy against the james boys ( never fun on the old kersbrook oval picking up rocks :D and Scotty Burns just to name a few !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Did you go to Birdwood, TWE?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Did you go to Birdwood, TWE?

No mate grew up in blackwood and played jrs there then srs at ironbank when I first started with jr footy blackwood had div 1 and 2 14s and 17s hence had to play against these guys !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Postby cracka » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:Sorry for the ignorance but I have been living in wa now for 3 years ... by this rezoning does this mean port will have no colts sides next year or are they being phased out ? Jimo5 when I played in the hills it was covered by 3 clubs ( Norwood , Sturt and South ) My understanding was Norwood would of had Uradlia , Kersbrook , Lobethal , Gumeracha , Birdwood and torrens valley and maybe onkas and hahndorf ? All northern side of the freeway ? Some very handy players to come out of there will be a big loss for the leg s !

After the reallocation 2 years ago the hills were split to 4 SANFL clubs, Sturt (Nairne, Mt Barker, Mt Lofty, Bridgewater, Hahndorf, Uraidla, Onkas, Lobethal) Norwood (Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Birdwood, Torr Valley) South (Ironbank, Echunga, Meadows, Maccy, Kangarilla) & West (Blackwood).
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 am

the wonder elephant wrote:Sorry for the ignorance but I have been living in wa now for 3 years ... by this rezoning does this mean port will have no colts sides next year or are they being phased out ?

Now that Port are a AFL reserves club playing in the SANFL just as the Crows are they will have to play under the same rules as the Crows, they will lose their juniors, reserves and recruiting zones, unfortunately for this year they managed to stitch up the other 8 clubs and the SANFL by getting all of their AFL listed players as well as keeping the other sides/zones for a year, it has been a massive advantage for them in 2014
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby am Bays » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:30 am

is this a fait accompli?

These preposed changes are dependant on the SANFL commssion agreeing to it AFAIK.

Think you'll find Port want to keep some of zone as part of their business model (connection with the community and all that palaver - what they argued successfully for their 2014 model) so these changes are based on one scenario which may not happen.

And to the Eagles fan worried about St Micks being in our zone potentially all that means is that we become responsible for development programs run at that school. Given it will only be just based in our zone lots of kids zoned to the eagles will get GFC run clinics and development programs but once they become 15 they become Eagles players.

it has never been about the schools in a club zone it has always been about the kids.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:14 pm

am Bays wrote:is this a fait accompli?

And to the Eagles fan worried about St Micks being in our zone potentially all that means is that we become responsible for development programs run at that school. Given it will only be just based in our zone lots of kids zoned to the eagles will get GFC run clinics and development programs but once they become 15 they become Eagles players.

it has never been about the schools in a club zone it has always been about the kids.

This is true. St Michaels kids have generally been split between living in the Eagles zone and the Pt Adelaide zone. Seeing as we are apparently taking over Port's metro coastal zone, there will still be loads of kids available to the Eagles. An example is the Crows' Scott Thompson. Went to St Micks but lived in Port's zone so went to Port juniors rather than the Eagles.

Still, I'd rather leave the boundaries alone.

Have the new boundaries all but been confirmed? I've heard nothing about this outside of this forum
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 am

am Bays wrote:Think you'll find Port want to keep some of zone as part of their business model (connection with the community and all that palaver - what they argued successfully for their 2014 model) so these changes are based on one scenario which may not happen.

Not sure it matters, Port will be still involved on the Eyre Peninsula regardless....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -peninsula
AT last weekend’s Mortlock Shield carnival, the Port Adelaide Football Club announced two very important long term partnerships highlighting the club’s extended commitment to one of its ‘heartland’ communities, the Eyre Peninsula.

The Port Adelaide Football Club will become a Bronze Sponsor of the Mortlock Shield competition and will be the major sponsor of the Under 15 Port Adelaide Cup. Both sponsorships are long term commitments, with the initial agreement for both 2015 and 2016, providing an important boost to football in the region.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club is delighted to continue its long-standing relationship with the Eyre Peninsula community.

“Port Adelaide has been honoured to have been zoned to the Eyre Peninsula since 1972, and despite the changes to our recruiting zones in 2015 we will not be turning our back on that partnership,” said Mr Thomas.

“Community is at the very core at what drives us and the Eyre Peninsula has been a critical part of the Port Adelaide community for over 40 years and we look forward to continuing our partnership with football on the Eyre Peninsula.”

Mr Thomas said that impending changes to the SANFL recruiting zones would prevent Port Adelaide from being the zoned SANFL club for the Eyre Peninsula. However, he reaffirmed that Port Adelaide, through its sponsorship of the Mortlock Shield and the Port Adelaide Cup, would do everything it could to continue to support the region.

“In 2015 there will be another SANFL League Club zoned to the Eyre Peninsula, and we look forward to working with them to ensure football on the Eyre Peninsula continues to prosper.”

No doubt someone will still see a negative in this though ?

Any chance Norwood will thank us for pumping money into their zone ?
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 am

That's good. AFL clubs should be contributing to community programs such as this. Most AFL clubs do and it's good to see Port adding to the good work it already does within the community.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:23 am

TimmiesChin wrote:
am Bays wrote:Think you'll find Port want to keep some of zone as part of their business model (connection with the community and all that palaver - what they argued successfully for their 2014 model) so these changes are based on one scenario which may not happen.

Not sure it matters, Port will be still involved on the Eyre Peninsula regardless....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -peninsula
AT last weekend’s Mortlock Shield carnival, the Port Adelaide Football Club announced two very important long term partnerships highlighting the club’s extended commitment to one of its ‘heartland’ communities, the Eyre Peninsula.

The Port Adelaide Football Club will become a Bronze Sponsor of the Mortlock Shield competition and will be the major sponsor of the Under 15 Port Adelaide Cup. Both sponsorships are long term commitments, with the initial agreement for both 2015 and 2016, providing an important boost to football in the region.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club is delighted to continue its long-standing relationship with the Eyre Peninsula community.

“Port Adelaide has been honoured to have been zoned to the Eyre Peninsula since 1972, and despite the changes to our recruiting zones in 2015 we will not be turning our back on that partnership,” said Mr Thomas.

“Community is at the very core at what drives us and the Eyre Peninsula has been a critical part of the Port Adelaide community for over 40 years and we look forward to continuing our partnership with football on the Eyre Peninsula.”

Mr Thomas said that impending changes to the SANFL recruiting zones would prevent Port Adelaide from being the zoned SANFL club for the Eyre Peninsula. However, he reaffirmed that Port Adelaide, through its sponsorship of the Mortlock Shield and the Port Adelaide Cup, would do everything it could to continue to support the region.

“In 2015 there will be another SANFL League Club zoned to the Eyre Peninsula, and we look forward to working with them to ensure football on the Eyre Peninsula continues to prosper.”

No doubt someone will still see a negative in this though ?

Any chance Norwood will thank us for pumping money into their zone ?

I will! (Thanks Port :D )

Port continue to play to their greatest strength of community ties and further distance themself from their local rival on that front imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:30 am

Exactly.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 am

JK wrote:
I will! (Thanks Port :D )

Port continue to play to their greatest strength of community ties and further distance themself from their local rival on that front imho.

Theres one or two anecdotes I've heard in recent months along these lines that I could mention highlighting this difference, but I wont.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Aw, go on
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 pm

am Bays wrote:is this a fait accompli?

These preposed changes are dependant on the SANFL commssion agreeing to it AFAIK.

Think you'll find Port want to keep some of zone as part of their business model (connection with the community and all that palaver - what they argued successfully for their 2014 model) so these changes are based on one scenario which may not happen.

Kids going to school in Henley Beach, Fulham etc and their parents will just love travelling to Hallett Cove for example on Sat morns to play Footy.
It IS about the schools and kids going to those schools affected as I can see some parents saying 'stuff this', we'll just play club on Sunday or soccer.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:26 am

wedgetail wrote:Kids going to school in Henley Beach, Fulham etc and their parents will just love travelling to Hallett Cove for example on Sat morns to play Footy.
It IS about the schools and kids going to those schools affected as I can see some parents saying 'stuff this', we'll just play club on Sunday or soccer.

Boo Hoo!

Henley to Hallett Cove is hardly a day trip FFS
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL