Reallocation of boundaries

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49 am

Ian wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Kids going to school in Henley Beach, Fulham etc and their parents will just love travelling to Hallett Cove for example on Sat morns to play Footy.
It IS about the schools and kids going to those schools affected as I can see some parents saying 'stuff this', we'll just play club on Sunday or soccer.

Boo Hoo!

Henley to Hallett Cove is hardly a day trip FFS

It is if you do it crawling on your belly dressed as a snail
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 am

Ian wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Kids going to school in Henley Beach, Fulham etc and their parents will just love travelling to Hallett Cove for example on Sat morns to play Footy.
It IS about the schools and kids going to those schools affected as I can see some parents saying 'stuff this', we'll just play club on Sunday or soccer.

Boo Hoo!

Henley to Hallett Cove is hardly a day trip FFS

You would be surprised at how many sheltered city folk that think differently.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 am

You would be surprised by how many think Gawler to Adelaide is a day trip.
Booked a beach house at Henley late last year. When we picked up the keys, the owner asked where we'd come from and when we said "Gawler", her response was, "oh you've come a long way then. What time did you leave?"
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 am

It's a 45-minute trip to Henley from here. Gotta love the Expressways.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 pm

If we lived in any other city in Australia, people would think a 45 minute drive was like walking next door.

As a kid our longest trip to play footy was 130km and the closest was 50km.
The last year there my youngest brother started at 8:30 in the U13's, my other brother and I had to wait for the U15's to finish before we took the field in the U17's, Dad was head trainer so we were there until the A's finished at about 5pm, I also used to run the boundary for the A's

plenty of other competitions drive a lot further than we did, time for a few of the city folk to HTFU
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby maxyoz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Ian wrote:...... my other brother and I had to wait for the U15's to finish before we took the field in the U17's, Dad was head trainer so we were there until the A's finished at about 5pm, I also used to run the boundary for A's

No wonder you're a picture of fitness and health.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Are you serious?

Torrensville PS currently play in Westies School comp and regularly travel to Flagstaff Hill and Aberfoyle Park to play
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:West have been hit terribly too!
Glenelg now has Henley Beach High, Saint Michaels College, Sacred Heart *2, Immanual College and Westminster College > All footy schools.

Where you play isn't based on where you go to school, it's where you live, so clubs do not have "schools" so to speak...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 pm

maxyoz wrote:
Ian wrote:...... my other brother and I had to wait for the U15's to finish before we took the field in the U17's, Dad was head trainer so we were there until the A's finished at about 5pm, I also used to run the boundary for A's

No wonder you're a picture of fitness and health.
there's been a fair bit of mis treating the body in the last 30 years Maxy ;)
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 pm

How will the centrals zone change?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Saw South announce yesterday they have claimed some of Glenelg's zone around Hallet Cove as part of the 5 year review, anyone seen any announcement about other changes to zones?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby beef » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:Saw South announce yesterday they have claimed some of Glenelg's zone around Hallet Cove as part of the 5 year review, anyone seen any announcement about other changes to zones?

Think Centrals are getting some of eagles zone in Adelaide Plains league. They'll stuff it up and want more area again in a couple years
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby ferret » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:06 pm

beef wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Saw South announce yesterday they have claimed some of Glenelg's zone around Hallet Cove as part of the 5 year review, anyone seen any announcement about other changes to zones?

Think Centrals are getting some of eagles zone in Adelaide Plains league. They'll stuff it up and want more area again in a couple years

Looks like it's "fxxk the Eagles around again. It started in 1964 by letting Woodville in to a heavily loaded west of Adelaide area. It crippled West Torrens.

Then in the late seventies they took away half WTs western area and sent WT out to Tea Tree Gully/ Golden Grove, what a disaster. The likely father/sons from this area had/have no feeling or relationship with WT, especially after it was given to Norwood, as their mates went to school out there and played at North or Norwood and followed them.

Also WT Eagles were given the booming city of Whyalla as their country zone. The locals got very good jobs with very good pay and would not leave these jobs to pursue a footy career in Adelaide. WT got very little from Whyalla.

The 1991 amalgamation caused the loss of many members, although the new club has been a success on the field.

The Eagles heartland has disappeared but they managed to recover Henley Beach recently. Given the old Magpies zone now, the chances of converting Magpie supporters to the Eagles would be nil. Thank goodness kids in the zone basically have to go through the Eagles to achieve their AFL dream.

I'll be accused of whinging but the SANFL would not have treated a few other clubs this way. Just when the Eagles start to establish an area it is taken away again.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby DOC » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:38 pm

South complained for years that our city zone was tiny and lacked an overall area that was populated by young men. In the biggest piss take of all time, the SANFL doubled the size of the zone by adding on Victoria Park. The Botanic Gardens and the then MTT tram terminal.

I am not sure that boundaries are relevant in this day and age. There were ways around them then and there are ways around them now. That said I do not have a workable alternative that is simply not a free for all.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:02 pm

I'm not too concerned re the boundary changes, so long as we don't lose our Wingfield area and surrounds, where we've built our 2nd home ground.

It is no coincidence that the three least supported clubs (West, Eagles, South) have over their history been shifted and shafted more than the other clubs.

PS. They should get rid of the AFL teams, bring Port District in to represent that area and let Tea Tree Gully and Golden Grove nominate to be the 10th SANFL club.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:18 pm

Interesting that South pick up more area when they have huge population growth happening and will continue to happen right in the middle of their zone
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Pag » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:21 pm

Aerie wrote:I'm not too concerned re the boundary changes, so long as we don't lose our Wingfield area and surrounds, where we've built our 2nd home ground.

It is no coincidence that the three least supported clubs (West, Eagles, South) have over their history been shifted and shafted more than the other clubs.

PS. They should get rid of the AFL teams, bring Port District in to represent that area and let Tea Tree Gully and Golden Grove nominate to be the 10th SANFL club.

Clubs are losing parts of their zone but you want every club to lose another chuck of theirs to accommodate two new clubs?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby goddy11 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Woodville oval will be in another zone soon. Traditional area going to other clubs . :(
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby ferret » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:58 am

goddy11 wrote:Woodville oval will be in another zone soon. Traditional area going to other clubs . :(

The SANFL are gradually but surely working over the West Torrens/Eagles FCs to rid them of former heartland areas and their historical significance.
Trimmer Parade is now a northern boundary for West Adelaide. Woodville/West Torrens have lost areas like Seaton and Findon traditionally associated with the Eagles with this change. Trimmer Parade is a Lindsay Head stab pass from Woodville Oval.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:34 am

Pag wrote:
Aerie wrote:I'm not too concerned re the boundary changes, so long as we don't lose our Wingfield area and surrounds, where we've built our 2nd home ground.

Clubs are losing parts of their zone but you want every club to lose another chuck of theirs to accommodate two new clubs?

You just divide by 10 instead of divide by 8. The standard is shot anyway. You get a team representing Port that are heart and soul Port and currently the best club outside of the SANFL. You get a team where there always should have been in the north-eastern suburbs - either established in TTG or the new kids on the block in Golden Grove with facilities upgrades. Eagles get shifted back to where they've always been instead of representing the Wingfield dump and surrounding areas.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL