Reallocation of boundaries

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Reallocation of boundaries

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Due to PAFC losing their zone next year, metro boundaries have been reallocated and I believe sh#t will hit he fan, especially from Eagles supporters.
Absolute heartland territory for decades for the Eagles such as Henley Beach, Fulham. Fulham Gardens, Lockleys will be gifted to Glenelg.
Major schools such as Henley High and St Michaels who have supplied great players to the Eagles over the years will now be supplying Glenelg.
Potentially, primary schools in the now Eagles zone could be playing their Saturday morning games as far away as Hallett Cove!!! (if parents even decide to take them that far). In return, I believe we get most of Port's present zone which doesn't even have a school comp! Plus some of Salisbury and Paralowie. Hasn't the league learnt from the failed experiment of giving the then WTFC Tea Tree Gully and how hard it was to get juniors to come to Thebarton?
I have not heard the effects on other clubs and am only commenting from what I heard will happen to the Eagles.
I urge all passionate Eagles supporters to voice their opposition to this proposal when it is announced and bombard the media to record their strongest objections.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

Postby JK » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:01 pm

If it's likely to go ahead as you've said mate, is this change being forced upon the Eagles against their wishes, or have they been trying to pick up the zone previously allocated to Port?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:09 pm

JK wrote:If it's likely to go ahead as you've said mate, is this change being forced upon the Eagles against their wishes, or have they been trying to pick up the zone previously allocated to Port?

Unsure on that one. Would like to think they wouldn't want to give up territory that has been painstakingly developed and built up over a long time to take over territory where the kids would be Port through and through and would take a lot of convincing to play for the Eagles.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:21 pm

The writing was on the wall when Slaven lead the charge for AFL teams to come in to the competition. This scenario should have been dealt with when we voted yes. i.e. We'll vote yes, but you need to guarantee us Henley Beach when the zones are redistributed.

My biggest concern over the entry of the two AFL clubs, which I mentioned on that "Info night", was the Eagles losing Henley Beach and gaining Port Adelaide territory. Who in Port Adelaide is going to support another SANFL club, with both Port Power in the AFL and Port Power Reserves still playing in the SANFL?

It will be a massive loss for the Eagles. Thebarton was lost at the last rezoning two years ago and if this area is lost it is essentially Woodville/Port Adelaide.

Eagles should give up everything east of South Road, everything north of Torrens Road and gain everything south-west of Port Road and the bit of land between the coast and the river up to Outer Harbour. Even give up everything south of the River Torrens if need be.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:25 pm

JK wrote:If it's likely to go ahead as you've said mate, is this change being forced upon the Eagles against their wishes, or have they been trying to pick up the zone previously allocated to Port?

Slaven quoted Henley Beach as "Eagles heartland" during that info night. PhilH would know better, but would imagine they'd be doing everything to not lose that area.
Aerie
Coach

Postby smac » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:33 pm

From what I understand, Ports zone is to be reallocated. This means essentially a northern shift by everyone. Not much else can be done, really.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 pm

wedgetail wrote:... Port's present zone which doesn't even have a school comp!

But that can't be right! The PAFC has striven its utmost to forge bonds with its community and to serve it! At least, that's what the CEO bleated when he promoted the Port Model (tm) to the SANFL delegates...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby SANFLnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 am

So the Eagles zone is going to stretch from Salisbury to Hallet Cove and include Port Adelaide? Sounds like a good deal to me. Are there any maps available?
Westies have benefited big time from the junior zone around Flagstaff Hill and Abergoyle Park. It is nowhere near Richmond and was not traditional heartland. Most clubs will have similar examples. Building relationships in these areas take time but do pay off. Ultimately those kids in each zone don't get a choice over who they play for and this is the main function of the zone rather than trying to convert supporters.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Aerie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am

SANFLnut wrote:So the Eagles zone is going to stretch from Salisbury to Hallet Cove and include Port Adelaide? Sounds like a good deal to me. Are there any maps available?
Westies have benefited big time from the junior zone around Flagstaff Hill and Abergoyle Park. It is nowhere near Richmond and was not traditional heartland. Most clubs will have similar examples. Building relationships in these areas take time but do pay off. Ultimately those kids in each zone don't get a choice over who they play for and this is the main function of the zone rather than trying to convert supporters.

Wedgetail means that kids currently in Eagles zone will be playing at Hallet Cove under the new Glenelg zone.

There is a link at this page for the current boundaries: http://www.sanfl.com.au/the_sanfl/sanfl ... oundaries/

Knock down the eastern and southern stands at Footy Park and build a grass mound as part of the redevelopment of West Lakes. Give West Adelaide all the zones east of Holbrooks Rd/East Ave up to Torrens Rd. Give North all the zone north of Torrens Rd and east of Hanson Rd/Eastern Parade.

Move the Eagles to West Lakes. Eagles share Crows facilities with the community after Crows move their headquarters to the city/Thebby Oval or whatever they'll end up doing. Eagles take up Le Fevre Peninsula zone north west of East Ave.

Woodville Oval becomes dedicated cricket oval.

May or may not be serious...
Aerie
Coach

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Aerie wrote: Even give up everything south of the River Torrens if need be.
Where is the current Eagles/Glenelg boundary? I thought it was the Torrens.

When my son was at Lockleys FC, juniors living at West Beach were zoned to Glenelg, the other side of the Torrens was the Eagles, a big chunk of Lockleys and all of Brooklyn Park was West, Lockleys FC falls into Wests zone
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:36 pm

true or false Norwood is getting Ports country zone of the Eyre Peninsula?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Ian wrote:
Aerie wrote: Even give up everything south of the River Torrens if need be.
Where is the current Eagles/Glenelg boundary? I thought it was the Torrens.

When my son was at Lockleys FC, juniors living at West Beach were zoned to Glenelg, the other side of the Torrens was the Eagles, a big chunk of Lockleys and all of Brooklyn Park was West, Lockleys FC falls into Wests zone

Yes, it is the Torrens for Glenelg/Eagles. Then Eagles/West boundary from Tapleys Hill Rd/Henley Bch Rd. Eagles have that pocket south of the river / west of Holbrooks Rd / north of Henley Bch Rd. West have everything east of Holbrooks Rd and south of the River up to the city - which would have been WWT and originally WT before a few years ago.
Aerie
Coach

Postby SANFLnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:14 pm

I am pretty sure that you are correct with Norwood getting Ports old Eyre Peninsula zone. Will be a bit harder for them to work than their current "country" zone. They are not happy about it, but will now realise what we've had to do in Riverland and Bays down in South East as well as clubs like Eagles and North.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby JK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:16 pm

SANFLnut wrote:I am pretty sure that you are correct with Norwood getting Ports old Eyre Peninsula zone. Will be a bit harder for them to work than their current "country" zone. They are not happy about it, but will now realise what we've had to do in Riverland and Bays down in South East as well as clubs like Eagles and North.

Ive only spoken to the one person at the NFC but they didn't give the impression of being upset about it at all.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 pm

JK wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:I am pretty sure that you are correct with Norwood getting Ports old Eyre Peninsula zone. Will be a bit harder for them to work than their current "country" zone. They are not happy about it, but will now realise what we've had to do in Riverland and Bays down in South East as well as clubs like Eagles and North.

Ive only spoken to the one person at the NFC but they didn't give the impression of being upset about it at all.

Same, seemed to be looking forward to the challenge. Obviously will be a shame to lose our Hills area which has been quite fruitful but im sure with some hard work we can make the Eyre Peninsula a successful recruiting area
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

Same, seemed to be looking forward to the challenge. Obviously will be a shame to lose our Hills area which has been quite fruitful but im sure with some hard work we can make the Eyre Peninsula a successful recruiting area

Well for starters you can make a weekend of it this time next year. June long weekend every year the Zone gets all the kids in the one place so you can look at them in a round robin carnival. Also the seniors gather for a carnival over 2 days....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm

West have been hit terribly too!
Glenelg now has Henley Beach High, Saint Michaels College, Sacred Heart *2, Immanual College and Westminster College > All footy schools.

Apparently in 2 years time there will be a rezoning again based on participation. This means all this will be a waste of time because I know the WAFC changes to our zone will mean we may have a lower rate of participation than Centrals which is saying something.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Been liked: 13 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Maybe clubs in a congested area should look at moving if they're not happy with getting smaller zones?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

No secret that some clubs are far better than others at talent id and working their zone, some clubs are just lazy and incompetent and it wouldnt matter what zone they had.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

Who's that going to Jim.

Does anyone have a link to the new boundaries for next year. It's only been 2 years since the last reallocation.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL